Re: SCANDAL's Signature Squier instruments
Posted on Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:54 am

Fox

Caless Student
Caless Student
Debating on whether to get the Mami Jazzmaster. I absolute love the design and the setup but I am a bit worried about stock performance which isn't that great from what I have heard, would really love the opinions of people who own this and how much it improves if you get it set up properly or give it some upgrades.

Knowing Jazzmasters they can buzz quite a bit so I'll install a buzz stop bar and replace the default bridge with a StayTrem bridge right from the start. This will make it sound more like a Strat but I do not mind. Then at a later point I'll upgrade the pickups. That is quite an investment for a Squier. So my main concern is the construction quality and wood quality from the Fender Indonesia factory. Have no experience with guitars from this region. Opinions online are varied, some say they are only a step up from the Chinese models and others say the woodwork is better than MIM fenders.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:23 am

kudo_maharizu

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://stomachofchaos.com
Fox wrote:Debating on whether to get the Mami Jazzmaster. I absolute love the design and the setup but I am a bit worried about stock performance which isn't that great from what I have heard, would really love the opinions of people who own this and how much it improves if you get it set up properly or give it some upgrades.

Knowing Jazzmasters they can buzz quite a bit so I'll install a buzz stop bar and replace the default bridge with a StayTrem bridge right from the start. This will make it sound more like a Strat but I do not mind. Then at a later point I'll upgrade the pickups. That is quite an investment for a Squier. So my main concern is the construction quality and wood quality from the Fender Indonesia factory. Have no experience with guitars from this region. Opinions online are varied, some say they are only a step up from the Chinese models and others say the woodwork is better than MIM fenders.

You'll get a varied response - from people who are JM purists ("a JM should sound like a JM") to, well... other people lol. My take on this is simple - MAMI was likely to have chosen this for its shape as the pup config is simply that of her HSS strat. You are right about the buzzing and like her, I have a foam mute behind the bridge.

Speaking of the bridge the actual one MAMI uses is a TOM, and the commercially-available ones have the JM bridge. You may want to mod your guitar but it involves a pro job, unless you have that skill yourself. I have also modded the bridge pup to an actual Seymour Duncan Hot Rails as it comes with a Duncan Design. The other two are OEM pups but they are hot, so hot that the person that set up my guitar had to lower the two single coils to balance the volume of the three pups. The wiring set up/pots were checked and there was nothing to explain the imbalance.

My MAMI guitar came in badly set up and had sharp fret ends but these were all rectified.

There is an improvement after all this, but the tone/playability is still not up there as compared to my Fender Jazzmaster (the sunburst one that MAMI also owns). Hope this helps.

I've written notes on my little project here: http://stomachofchaos.com/?p=8593

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:10 am

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
Honestly, I owned the Mami JM (sold it) and while I miss it, it's not because it was a great guitar. It was perfectly playable, and the setup definitely wasn't the problem. It also didn't buzz at all. It just is not a great sounding guitar, and it has a cheap feel as all Squiers do. Part of it may be exacerbated by the pearlescent finish, which is interesting but really just makes the whole guitar look like it's made out of plastic.

The nice thing about her JM is that it's unique. There's not another Jazzmaster on the market with an HSS config, and there probably never will be. If I still had mine, I'd have definitely replaced the bridge pickup with a real Hot Rails, though. The "Duncan Designed" Hot Rails it comes with is just really weak. I might have replaced the single coils as well, although they didn't seem quite as bad.

Back to top Go down