Go down

Re: SCANDAL's Signature Squier instruments
Posted Fri May 23, 2014 5:35 am

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
BrokenByDefault wrote:This is my fear, as well. I'm wondering I should change the address to have a friend in Japan receive the package for me, and then ship it to Australia.

If your friend is ok with it, but it's kind of a hassle shipping a guitar. That's one of the reasons I decided not to use my in-laws. Even just dealing with accepting the package and then storing it is kind of annoying in a typical size Japanese place; these come in pretty big boxes.

In fact I'm actually kind of hoping the non-Kitty Shop ones *don't* come with the case (I'm pretty sure they don't come with the strap, because Ishibashi shows a regular Fender strap without the "S" as a separate purchase). I'll be glad to have one case with my Mami guitar, but those cases look bulkier than the regular Fender Japan gig bags and I gotta think the boxes will be bigger than even the one my Japanese Jazzmaster came in. (Obviously the bass box will be anyway.) I hope it doesn't destroy the collector value not to have the case and strap but those cases are going to add to the shipping cost. But we'll see; my Jazzmaster came *in* the gig bag in a sealed factory box, so maybe these are just all packaged that same way from Fender and everybody gets the case.

I didn't even have a chance to actually read the specs of the guitars before now; some interesting stuff there, like the fact they're all made of basswood and Haruna's Tele is contoured; I don't think we knew that before. We also knew Mami's humbucker was a rails of some kind but I don't think she ever specifically said it was a Hot Rails. Also they've now changed the bridge on her guitar to an Adjust-o-Matic like she likes (and like her own guitar really has) - the pictures of her holding it show it with a standard JM bridge, as did the pics in the Go! Go! Guitar! Mami Special.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 5:49 am

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
http://stomachofchaos.com
spacecadet wrote:I didn't even have a chance to actually read the specs of the guitars before now; some interesting stuff there, like the fact they're all made of basswood and Haruna's Tele is contoured; I don't think we knew that before. We also knew Mami's humbucker was a rails of some kind but I don't think she ever specifically said it was a Hot Rails. Also they've now changed the bridge on her guitar to an Adjust-o-Matic like she likes (and like her own guitar really has) - the pictures of her holding it show it with a standard JM bridge, as did the pics in the Go! Go! Guitar! Mami Special.

Since you have a JM, I've a question - is the Adjust-o-Matic more robust than the fiddly ones on a Jag or Mustang? Never played a JM before and from the photos the AoM kinda look like a Tune-o-Matic on a Les Paul, and if that is so, it should be good.

I know 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' but I'm soo tempted to replace the Stratomaster's Duncan-designed HB to an actual SD SHR-1. Heh. #jumpingthegun

But first, to make sure it arrives in one piece first. #jitterybutexcited

SCANDAL's Signature Squier instruments - Page 4 SCANDALCOLLE-2020-SIG

~ CHECK OUT MY 「感謝祭」ŌSAKA 2018 VIDEO! 見てください!  ~

16-17/3/13 *SCAPE Warehouse | SIN • 29/1/15 たましんRISURUホール | 立川市、日本 • 31/1/15 ベイシア文化ホール | 前橋市、日本 • 26/4/15 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 12-13/1/16 日本武道館 | 東京、日本 • 10/9/16 Melkweg | AMS • 17/9/16 Szene | WIEN • 24/9/16 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 10/6/18 MacPherson Stadium | HK • 10-11/11/18 ZEPP Ōsaka Bayside | 大阪、日本
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 6:06 am

babaloued

babaloued

International Performer
International Performer
I'm currently in Japan until the 22th of August so, only if you are desperate with forwarding service or something like that, I can take delivery of you guitar and then ship it to you.

You have to know, first, that I have not do this yet so I don't know if it's easier to ship something so big and fragile like a guitar and, how much it is.

SCANDAL live 

2012.07.16 - バンドやろうよ!vol.3
2012.08.21 - Canal City Hakata
2014.06.28/29 - ARENA FESTIVAL DAY 1&2

2014.08.05 - RIJF 2014
2015.04.25/26/30 - HW TOUR 2015
2015.10.21 - TIMM
2016.09.10/17/20/21/24/25 - YELLOW in EUROPE 2016
Live! 
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 6:09 am

Crei

Crei

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I'll get one before x-mas. maybe haruna's.. not sure how to import tho..

SCANDAL's Signature Squier instruments - Page 4 VbIpsX2
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 6:17 am

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

maharizm wrote:Since you have a JM, I've a question - is the Adjust-o-Matic more robust than the fiddly ones on a Jag or Mustang? Never played a JM before and from the photos the AoM kinda look like a Tune-o-Matic on a Les Paul, and if that is so, it should be good.

It's Fender's copy of the Tune-o-Matic, so if you like one, you'll probably like the other. I don't actually know what the differences are between a real TOM and an AOM; it's the same basic design, though.

I have an AOM on my Gretsch. I don't personally like them on any guitar this side of a Les Paul, and they make even less sense on Jazzmasters because the JM tremolo is designed for a floating bridge. (It's the same tremolo system on her Stratomaster, hers just has the Squier non-locking trem plate.) Then again, Mami does not use tremolo at all, ever. I don't think I've ever seen her even pick up the bar. So this wouldn't be a concern to her, and also she's used to an Adjust-o-Matic from her Classic Player JM. I don't plan to modify it; personally I want to keep these guitars the way they like them, even if there are certain things that I'd have designed differently. I'm actually happy they changed it to an AOM even though I like the standard bridge better.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 6:22 am

bouvip

bouvip

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
maharizm wrote:
spacecadet wrote:I didn't even have a chance to actually read the specs of the guitars before now; some interesting stuff there, like the fact they're all made of basswood and Haruna's Tele is contoured; I don't think we knew that before. We also knew Mami's humbucker was a rails of some kind but I don't think she ever specifically said it was a Hot Rails. Also they've now changed the bridge on her guitar to an Adjust-o-Matic like she likes (and like her own guitar really has) - the pictures of her holding it show it with a standard JM bridge, as did the pics in the Go! Go! Guitar! Mami Special.

Since you have a JM, I've a question - is the Adjust-o-Matic more robust than the fiddly ones on a Jag or Mustang? Never played a JM before and from the photos the AoM kinda look like a Tune-o-Matic on a Les Paul, and if that is so, it should be good.

I know 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' but I'm soo tempted to replace the Stratomaster's Duncan-designed HB to an actual SD SHR-1. Heh. #jumpingthegun

But first, to make sure it arrives in one piece first. #jitterybutexcited

I'd replace it with a real Hot Rails especially since the middle and neck are cheaper squier pickups which will probably need replacing.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 6:29 am

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
bouvip wrote:I'd replace it with a real Hot Rails especially since the middle and neck are cheaper squier pickups which will probably need replacing.

Hahaha. Gimme a high five, bouvip. But yeah, I'll cross the bridge when I get there.

Did you order one? Or three... ^^

16-17/3/13 *SCAPE Warehouse | SIN • 29/1/15 たましんRISURUホール | 立川市、日本 • 31/1/15 ベイシア文化ホール | 前橋市、日本 • 26/4/15 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 12-13/1/16 日本武道館 | 東京、日本 • 10/9/16 Melkweg | AMS • 17/9/16 Szene | WIEN • 24/9/16 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 10/6/18 MacPherson Stadium | HK • 10-11/11/18 ZEPP Ōsaka Bayside | 大阪、日本
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 6:50 am

bouvip

bouvip

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
maharizm wrote:
bouvip wrote:I'd replace it with a real Hot Rails especially since the middle and neck are cheaper squier pickups which will probably need replacing.

Hahaha. Gimme a high five, bouvip. But yeah, I'll cross the bridge when I get there.

Did you order one? Or three... ^^

Yea! Cool rails in the neck though would sound good.

Still debating on whether to get Mamis model or not. In the red lately with too many guitars but hopefully I can sell 1 soon so I can have cash for it!

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 12:57 pm

BrokenByDefault

BrokenByDefault

Caless Student
Caless Student
I plan on replacing the humbuckers on the Tele, as well. I can't find any information on them, but I'm not expecting anything that great for the price. I'm also worried that they're made out of basswood instead of alder like I would imagine the band's original instruments to be made out of, it just screams cheap to me.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 2:06 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Well, I got an email from Ishibashi telling me they can't ship to a forwarding address or accept foreign credit cards. (Even though they already charged it, and I've paid with US credit cards with them multiple times in the past both online and in person.) Sometimes I forget that Japan hasn't really accepted its role in the world economy yet...

I technically can switch payment and my shipping address, but it's a real hassle. And this is just a warning for anyone else still planning to try to order from them. You don't just need a Japanese shipping address, you need the *right* Japanese shipping address. And Japanese payment.

I haven't heard anything from the Kitty Web Shop yet; hopefully I won't until they actually ship.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 2:11 pm

bouvip

bouvip

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
BrokenByDefault wrote:I plan on replacing the humbuckers on the Tele, as well. I can't find any information on them, but I'm not expecting anything that great for the price. I'm also worried that they're made out of basswood instead of alder like I would imagine the band's original instruments to be made out of, it just screams cheap to me.

They're all basswood since it's cheaper.  It's a low end Squier so it is cheap lol.  Scandal's Squiers are only Squiers in name since they are custom models.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 3:28 pm

BrokenByDefault

BrokenByDefault

Caless Student
Caless Student
If I wasn't panicking enough already, I certainly am now, oh dear... I suspect the kitty web shop might have a similar policy, so I might start arranging the delivery to go through a friend, just in case. At least I'll have the weekend to decide what to do.

Yeah, I knew they would be cheaper than the band's original guitars, I just wasn't expecting them to be this cheap, considering Squire has been putting out some really solid low-budget guitars lately. But no point stressing until I play it for myself. Who knows, it could be fantastic!

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 4:23 pm

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
Just received the same disappointing news, guys. My Haru guitar is on hold (same non-Japanese credit card detail issues as alluded by spacecadet) and also Ishibashi said no more Mami preorders as their quota has run out!

Ironing out a few details and now trying to see if Kitty still take anymore orders. A right downer at the start of a weekend. Oh, well!

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 4:27 pm

babaloued

babaloued

International Performer
International Performer
I didn't receive any "bad" news from my pre-order for the moment

SCANDAL live 

2014.06.28/29 - ARENA FESTIVAL DAY 1&2

2014.08.05 - RIJF 2014
2015.04.25/26/30 - HW TOUR 2015
2015.10.21 - TIMM
2016.09.10/17/20/21/24/25 - YELLOW in EUROPE 2016
Live! 
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 4:43 pm

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
It's an Ishibashi thing. They prolly  sniffed out the vast numbers of overseas fans wanting a piece of the action hahaha. I cannot blame them as strictly speaking, brand new MiJ Fenders are not sold overseas. However they cannot stop an overseas tourist to walk instore and buy one.

I do hope those who ordered with Kitty are luckier!

Last edited by maharizm on Fri May 23, 2014 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 4:45 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
BrokenByDefault wrote:I suspect the kitty web shop might have a similar policy,

They might, but how did you pay them? I basically had no choice but to use a JCB card, which has my in-laws' Japanese billing address. I'm wondering if that will help or hurt, since now nothing matches up on my order.

I'm gonna be surprised if I manage to get any of these guitars... this is so stupid, though. I don't understand these region restrictions. What are they afraid of? Selling more guitars? It's just such an obsolete way of thinking. If there aren't enough to go around, then make more! Clearly there is money being left on the table here.

Yeah, I knew they would be cheaper than the band's original guitars, I just wasn't expecting them to be this cheap, considering Squire has been putting out some really solid low-budget guitars lately. But no point stressing until I play it for myself. Who knows, it could be fantastic!

I wouldn't worry so much about the basswood. I don't know where these are actually being produced, but most guitars are made with whatever tonewood's most easily available locally. If basswood was more common in the US, then American guitars would be made with it too. Basswood does kind of brand a guitar as Asian, but that's not usually bad anymore like it once was.

Basswood's usually lighter than alder, so it can actually be a good thing, depending on your POV.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 5:00 pm

BrokenByDefault

BrokenByDefault

Caless Student
Caless Student
I paid by Visa, which is accepted on their website, and the international payment has already been verified by my bank and the funds have been transferred, so that's positive.

Fender seems to have pretty tight rules when it comes to the selling of their guitars, especially internationally, which I really don't understand, either. It's a complete pain and completely counter intuitive. It must be a profit thing, like why let customers buy a MIA strat overseas for $999 USD when they can pay $2000 AUD instead. I knew these guitars were going to be tricky to actually purchase, but not this hard...

It looks like basswood has a decent tone, I'm just worried about durability, though I won't be using this guitar for gigging or anything like that, so it should hold up fine.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 6:09 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Weird, my Visa just didn't work. But now it probably looks to them like I'm using a stolen JCB card, so I'll be surprised if it really goes through. I got the order confirmation but then I got that from Ishibashi too before they emailed me manually. And it's the weekend, so who knows if there's anybody there in the Kitty web department to check now - Sunday night into Monday US time is probably going to be the most worrying night.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 8:29 pm

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
All is not lost. Noriko-san's email from Ishibashi stated:

"I would like to ask you to change on payment by bank wire, postal transfer, collect on delivery."

Since this is a 'get a mate in Tokyo to help' option, these options are now viable for me in order to get Haru's Tele. It seems that the Ikebukuro branch doesn't accept foreign cards (that's what she said in her e-mail).

The only snag is... no MAMI Stratomaster for me if my attempt to get it via the Kitty Shop route fails. Wish me luck!

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 23, 2014 11:41 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Good luck! We are basically doing the exact same thing.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat May 24, 2014 1:32 am

kenzo9

kenzo9

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Good luck people. Since I don't have any friends in Japan, the only choice i have is to hope kitty web don't cancel mine.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun May 25, 2014 9:02 pm

Masu

Masu

Caless Student
Caless Student
Maybe I have to say goodbye to Mami's Jazzmaster because I wanted to buy it for the result of my final highschool exams, but I don't think my parents let me buy on kitty web shop.. And I don't have friends in Japan so it might be difficult to have one. Well, I don't think that the guitar shop in my city can order it either...

Whyyyy ?!  .waaa. 

But good luck to the ones who want/can buy the Jazzmaster !

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon May 26, 2014 12:09 am

kenzo9

kenzo9

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Mami's guitar is already sold out at kitty web

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon May 26, 2014 6:06 am

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
kenzo9 wrote:Mami's guitar is already sold out at kitty web

So, it's really goodbye then. Unless:

a. some enterprising soul sells it for triple the price on Yahoo! Auctions, or
b. discovering it tucked away hidden in a small lesser known guitar shop in Naka-meguro when I am in Tokyo come December

Either way, fat chance.  CANTA Cry 

Photos of your new guitars come June, guys. Please.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon May 26, 2014 6:41 am

babaloued

babaloued

International Performer
International Performer
kenzo9 wrote:Mami's guitar is already sold out at kitty web
That was fast  .wtf.

SCANDAL live