Shiroten Performer
http://scandalbaby.wordpress.com
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (8 votes)

Part One: RINA

HARUNA straight up told me ...:
Best Debut
Were there any memorable events that left an impression on you when you debuted?

I transferred schools. Right before we debuted, I transferred to a high school in Tokyo at the end of the summer holidays.

I see. So it really happened right before you debuted.

But I only heard this about ten days before the exam I was taking to transfer schools. For me, I was completely unprepared and still hadn’t been accepted, and I thought, “What?! What is this timing?” I was surprised, impatient, anxious and dreading it all at the same time. At the interview with the school though, I thought we would just talk about normal things like my academic performance and school in general but all I ended up talking about was SCANDAL’s debut (laughs). So I powered my entire way through. It was only much later that we got around to doing the actual interview (laughs).

So that was after you transferred? Did adjust very quickly?

Of course I experienced some culture shock, but I did adjust well afterwards. During our break, my classmates who had bought the debut DOLL single played the PV; I received a lot of support from them. It’s just that the concept of theDOLLPV was kind of like this image where we were messing around so whenever they played it in class, it was really embarrassing.

Best Happy
Tell us about the thing that has made you the happiest since you formed SCANDAL.

It was the time that the song I composed and wrote lyrics for, ‘Emotion’, was starting to take form. Ever since we had debuted, I had always wanted us to write and compose a song at some point. We had talked in circles around it but somewhere along the line we just stopped believing it would happen. But finally, it was in the works and I was already incredibly happy about it.

Ah yes, ‘Emotion’. Didn’t it start off as a mid-tempo ballad?

That’s what it was (laughs). The lyrics weren’t settled yet and at the time we didn’t want to do a song that was too mature or tame. It just turned out by chance, that of all the members to write and compose a song, it was me, but since it was our first song, I was particular about it having our sound. We were forced to up the tempo of the intro, and right up until we started recording, the arranger-san was still changing things. The process of slowly bringing the elements together was so much fun, and in any case, I was completely happy.

Best Unhappy
Well then, tell us about the most unpleasant or disappointing thing that’s happened.

What should I even … obviously, I feel like there are many things from my point of view…

Let me hear specific episode, then.

This was something that happened on our first time at Nakano Sun Plaza on the BABY ACTION tour. I was really enthusiastic about it. So, I had been really hyped up since the night before. For some reason, I had imagined playing ‘Haruka’ in a certain way to express these feelings. Of course, I want to express myself in any song, but on that day, it was ‘Haruka’ in particular that was consciously heightened. Even so, halfway through the outro I stopped halfway …

Huh? How so?

I was the only one who got mixed up in the outro and stopped playing before everyone else. Then, MAMI looked over at me with this really surprised look on her face. Ah, it was like, she was so surprised, it was the perfect example of a speechless expression. I was thinking “Ah! I’ve really messed up!” and my feelings just doubled, of this extreme self-hatred …  I can’t forget MAMI’s face when she looked at me like that (laughs).

Best SCANDAL
So what do you feel is something that captures the impression of SCANDAL, the band?

I guess there are a lot of things. When we were recording our third album, BABY ACTION, we talked a lot about composition. We got together at my house.

So it was a regular meeting at your house?

Yeah. I had more equipment at my house, like the synthesiser, and I’m hopeless so I had the guitar set as well (laughs). After that, packing up was simple as well.

You’re a self-professed equipment otaku/maniac (laughs). So, what did you talk about?

Before then, the person who had been writing the lyrics would work on it alone up until the end. With this album, our worldview changed; no matter who wrote the song, it would in turn become a part of us all. So we would all interview the person who wrote the lyrics, and talk about the image and meaning behind the music so we could put these things into the recording. However, I really strongly felt it had such significance because it was just the four of us making time to meet up.

You can see this happen during your concerts, but I guess this means your meetings increased, right?

These meetings were definitely something that was born out of that. It’s because of this, that when we talk, I feel like we’re really a band and I just have this cheesy grin on the inside (laughs).

Best Revolution
Do you think you’ve changed at all?

I think there are a lot of things that are annoying. At the same time, I hate trying to move past something when I don’t completely understand it. This is an attitude I’ve displayed a lot over time. There was a time when HARUNA straight up told me, “That’s not a good attitude.”   

That’s quite rare.

Well I already knew it wasn’t a great attitude. But, how did everyone else except me understand? I couldn’t get it. With this mindset, we debated a lot. This probably wasn’t even the first time we had argued about it to that extent. Still, I didn’t understand everything properly and couldn’t move on – to the point where I thought it would be better if I just quit SCANDAL.  

So how did you settle things?

I can’t really explain it very well, but I realised that it wasn’t just about getting more fans. But when I think of how things are now, it’s not like I’m blindly doing things without understanding the situation. I don’t want to make excuses, either. I’ve realised the importance of healthy clashes of opinion, but HARUNA clearly telling me what she thought at that time was a really big thing.

Best Future
So RINA, what’s your ideal future?

I want people to tell me that, as an interesting band, SCANDAL has many meanings.

I see. This is a bit different but, what about in very personal terms?

Umm … I want the members to sing at my wedding (laughs). I want them to harmonise.

That would be nice (laughs). What song would you like them to sing?

Uhhh … In that case, a song that’s not too happy … Ah, one piece!

Edit:

Part Two: TOMO
Part Three: MAMI
Part Four: HARUNA

So I realised I was doing this in reverse order ... XD

Last edited by TanyaLilac on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:10 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Cut to make the rest of the page easier to read)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Read (pre-debut) SCANDAL blog translations at Scandal Baby on Wordpress or Livejournal

Translations on SCANDAL HEAVEN:
SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
GIRLS BE SCANDALOUS Artist Book: Long Interview | Photo Archives & Interview Archives
BABY ACTION Magazine Edition: Album Interview | SCANDAL Girl's Love Talk & Conversation
Back to top Go down

Re: Interviews from the SCANDAL SHOW Photobook
Posted on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:15 pm

haritomi.denise

International Performer
International Performer
http://www.instagram.com/haritomi
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww. RINA's so adorable. D:
she's talking about wedding now. haha
but that would be nice, for them to sing in her wedding. XD

thanks for translating!  Love

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

"...most people die never realizing the dream of their lives...”

l DeviantArt ll Tumblr l
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:12 pm

betinhomtl

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
https://www.scandalbrazilianteam.com.br
Oww, AMAZING!!

Thank you for translate! (:

2015.04.12 - SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015「HELLO WORLD」 @ Tokyo International Forum Hall A

2016.08.21 - SCANDAL 10th ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL 「2006-2016」 @ Izumiotsu Phoenix, Osak[b]a[/b]
Back to top Go down

TOMOMI
Posted on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:56 am

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (4 votes)

Part two: TOMOMI

"I'm a real scaredy cat, you know...":
Best Debut
Did anything memorable happen at the same time as your debut?

Um, I guess, it was my friend telling me, “I saw your CD!”. I’ll never forget it.

I see. A classmate?

I heard it from a lot of people I had gone to middle school with, like a girl called Ayako. I kind of felt like, “And with this, I’ve actually debuted!”.  But where I’m from, TSUTAYA’s the main music store, and they usually give MAMI stickers with our CDs. So all of my friends from my hometown have MAMI stickers (laughs).

(Laughs) Anything else?

When I saw ‘SCANDAL-sama’ written on the door of our private dressing room. This is … not a rumour, though (laughs). Anyway, when I saw that it was just for us to use, it had a really big impact. And yes, I had to take a picture on my phone first.

Best Happy
Tell us about the thing that’s made you the happiest, since SCANDAL formed.

There are a lot of things … but I would say that it’s that I’ve been able to eat so many delicious, local dishes from around the country while we were touring and on promotions.

If you had to pick one?

Fukuoka’s mizutaki (chicken hot pot). It’s so good! I’m not picky at all when it comes to food. I’m the type of person who can always find food delicious, wherever I go, no matter what I eat. So, even though I don’t talk mainly about food, now I realise I’ve started to think things like, ‘if I go to this place, I want to try to eat that thing’. It’s not like I’ve become a foodie or particular about what I eat, but when I go to places as part of SCANDAL, we are often welcomed and blessed enough to be given a taste of local specialities, and I really, really look forward to it. It makes me so happy!

So you associate places with food?

Ah, I guess so. Whether we go for concerts or for promotions, we don’t do any sightseeing at all, right? So when we eat, I think we feel like we’re really in that place. Yeah. That’s it.

Best Unhappy
Then, what was your most unpleasant or unhappiest moment?

There were none. Basically, I erase unpleasant things in an instant (laughs).

There isn’t anything?

Ah, during an entertainment MC section at a fan club event (Dec, 2011), I had to play this game where I had to put my hand into a box.

What? That was your most unhappy moment?

I’m a real scaredy-cat, you know, when it comes to scary or gross things. It gets to the point where I get hives. So, when we started talking about this game, I was already really opposed to the idea, but I ended up doing it ……. It was so gross, but everyone around me was just had these evil grins on their faces. It was the grossest thing ever but I couldn’t say anything at all. But, but, they made me do it twice. That was my most unhappy moment.

What was inside the box?

Octopus and turtle. They were alive. The absolute worst kind. It was the worst thing I’ve ever done.

Best SCANDAL
So now I’d like to hear about something you did with SCANDAL that left an impression on you.

Hmm. There are various things. I guess it was the Dreamer tour we did in the spring of 2011.

What happened?

Because of the Great East Japan Earthquake (3.11), I started thinking about a lot of things. Our first concert after the earthquake was an event in Hiroshima. We were also able to see a lot of other people perform at this event and I thought, when I saw people having fun performing again, people started having more fun. Since it was after the earthquake, I wanted SCANDAL to have a successful concert where people would just strangely gain a strong impression, they would actually enjoy it! That is something we were able to accomplish.

I see. Your single, ‘Haruka’, was released right after the earthquake, right?

Yes. We went on the Dreamer tour, to substitute selling the single. I wasn’t the only one who had felt that way at the event in Hiroshima; the other SCANDAL members felt it too. So we had been able to talk a lot about how we could do a concert. It’s not Disneyland or anything, but I think concerts are definitely a place of dreams, and the other members were able to move on and agree on it as one.

Best Revolution
Do you think you’ve changed?

I think there are a lot of points here as well. Is it okay if I talk about it lyrically?

Of course.

It was around the time when I was writing lyrics for our second album, TEMPTATION BOX. My method of writing lyrics and coming up with its image changed.

How did it change, specifically?

Up until then, I had decided at the start the kind of theme I wanted to write about, the perspective – I made everything based on what I had decided at the beginning. But if I did it that way, I created unseen limitations, and these turned into words and certain behaviours. So, I stopped trying to decide so many things from the beginning, and I listened to the melody and thought about what kind of words would match the image of the song, and tried to let the sound and the rhythm become a story that would guide the lyrics. Whether or not it was good became a separate issue, and to me, that was a really big thing.

“A story of sound”? That sounds pretty good.

I hate being misunderstood, and when it doesn’t have that element of being carefree, it’s hard for people to relate to songs, right? I still have a while to go, and I guess at that time I already realised the importance of timing when it comes to my own lyrics.

Best Future
What’s your ideal future, TOMOMI?

I want to show my true abilities when it comes to practical jokes. Is that not what you were asking?

That’s quite deep (laughs). Something personal is fine as well.

Well then, even when I’m an old grandma, I still want to be the kind of person who goes to rock festivals. I’ll be a funky grandma!

Edit:

Last edited by TanyaLilac on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:10 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added links)

Read (pre-debut) SCANDAL blog translations at Scandal Baby on Wordpress or Livejournal

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
GIRLS BE SCANDALOUS Artist Book: Long Interview | Photo Archives & Interview Archives
BABY ACTION Magazine Edition: Album Interview | SCANDAL Girl's Love Talk & Conversation
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:15 pm

katheriine

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Thanks for these translations. Lol, TOMOMI the funky grandma.

There is no life without music
STANDARD
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:08 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Nice interview, TOMO one is really funny  LOL 

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t8777-game-fun-with-scandal
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t10195-game-2048-puzzle-scandal-editions
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:44 pm

Mitchan

International Performer
International Performer
http://www.wattpad.com/user/MitchanAnni
Funky grandma LOL 
Thanks for translations Praise

Tears of Joy 
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:33 am

haritomi.denise

International Performer
International Performer
Funky grandma FTW!  Rock on 
It's really fun to read TOMO's answers. They're fresh and amusing.
Thanks again!

l DeviantArt ll Tumblr l
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:44 pm

xKimmiex

Caless Student
Caless Student
Tomo! Please call me so that we could be funky grandsma together LOL

Back to top Go down

MAMI~~~
Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:27 pm

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)

An interesting note on MAMI's interview – the questions were slightly different and less rigid and scripted compared to the others, there seemed to be more of a friendly feeling between the two. I don’t know if I’ve captured this well, but maybe they were both more at ease during the interview.

Is it really okay? Really?:
Best Debut
So, when you debuted, was there anything that surprised you?

All of the preparations for our debut. You start preparing for the interviews, PVs and a lot of things quite a while beforehand, right? Like, suddenly it was the real thing and everything just hit us. What left a particular impression on me was when we watched the playback while we were filming the DOLL PV. I thought things, ‘So this is how they film things’ and ‘wow, so many calculations go into this’, it felt like half of it was someone else’s problems (laughs).

But you really can’t see it [from an outside perspective]. Was there anything else

It’s obvious if you think about it but … when it comes to interviews, the time and place of your appointments are decided, right? But at the same time I thought you could rock up at some vague time whenever you like, say whatever you like, and then someone would write an article about you. But the general concept of the interview is surprising. Hence it became a series of, ‘What? our interview is on what day, from what time to when?’ ‘Someone already asked us the same question riight!’ etc. etc. ‘What? What! Whaaat?!’

It’s like it’s painfully obvious, isn’t it?

MS [Music Station, a popular music program] was a shock as well. It was like, what is this oppressive tension during the live broadcast segments? Is it really okay for us to be just sitting here while the cameras are moving around like crazy? Really? (laughs)

Best Happy
I’m sure there would be many moments, but what would you say has made you happiest since SCANDAL formed?

Our one-man concert at Shibuya AX!

AX?

Like, it’s special, somehow, since way back when. Occasionally we would go to events there, or see someone else’s concert – that was the kind of impression I got, and it was quite strong. It was the kind of place where, if I talked with my friends about it, we’d wonder, “I wonder what’s happening at AX today?” So when we found out we were doing a solo concert there, I got really hyped up. AX is something that resonates within me; it’s a cool place.

Best Unhappy
Have there been any unpleasant incidents since SCANDAL formed?

No…? I guess can’t really remember anything bad… maybe I erased them from my memory? What should I say?

Anything’s fine! Is there anything you’d like to say?

There are a lot of moments when I get frustrated while playing guitar, I guess.

Do you have any specific examples?

It was when we were recording ShoujoS, actually. We went to a studio in Izu and stayed there for a while, and in that environment, there was nowhere to run. The producer was a guitarist, and I was receiving intensive, man-to-man training with him while recording the intro. I was incredibly miserable. I felt like I was beginning to hate playing guitar because I was so miserable.

You felt like you hated playing guitar? That’s a pretty big incident.

Well, I was in front of someone so much more talented than I was and moreover, he was the producer. I felt like I was under an incredible amount of pressure and I got frustrated because I couldn’t do anything… You could say it was a good experience for me, though.

Best SCANDAL
It’s a bit of a vague question, but is has there been any unforgettable moments you’ve experienced as part of SCANDAL?

The first performance of the BABY ACTION tour, in Kobe.

Why do you feel this way?

From the first moment of the intro of LOVE SURVIVE, I could feel something. It was that kind of opening. I had never really, truly been able to think something like, ‘SCANDAL is cool!”. But, this time, I was able to feel a bit moved. When I see a really talented person, or an amazing stage set up, I smile a lot, but this time, there was an instant where I was grinning because of what we were doing (laughs).

So basically it’s like you were able to feel a sense of unity, as a band?

I guess so. Of course, we try as hard as we can to express ourselves as SCANDAL through our performances and the rhythm. But, that day, it all came together perfectly, and I thought, ‘We’re in completely in synch!’.

Best Revolution
Have there been any moments where you’ve felt like you’ve changed, or something like that?

Hmm… That’s quite difficult.

I’ve always thought that you’ve had powers of perception for a long time, but don’t you think you’ve been able to make the most of this lately?

I think I get what you’re trying to say. I really have been watching over the other members, seeing how they express themselves and their aura. Once, one of the staff members told me, “MAMI, you’re the bandmas”, and I had to go look up ‘bandmas’ on the net (laughs). Once I understood that the reference was to the ‘band master’, the person who brings everyone together, maybe my awareness changed.

It might have been around the time of your second album, TEMPTATION BOX. Everyone around you could feel you had completely changed.

It was probably around that time. While I wasn’t conscious of what I was playing, I was completely aware of what I was doing in order to bring everyone together. I came to think that I should express what I wanted to say properly, in my own words. The other members have their own personalities, and a lot of good points, so I started trying to consciously lead us towards producing a cohesive band sound. I’ve still got a long way to go, though.

Best Future
You can answer however you like for this one, but do you have anything in mind like, “I would be grateful for ___ in the future!”

What about something like, "I want to become an insurmountable wall!" ? hehehe.

Ooh, that’s fine and all (laughs) but something more specific or simple, is fine too.

Hmm, I guess that would be better. I would like to keep in contact with music, in any form but … well, I would like to marry someone who loves cats (laughs).

That’s great! I wanted to hear something like that.

And then, we would have ten cats.

I love this woman, so much. I can’t even tell you.

Edit:

Last edited by TanyaLilac on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added links~)

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:03 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Wow they are all interesting but this MAMI interview is really awesome!

The way she talks about her feelings and the debut is really touching. I mean it's hard to realize when you are not in the situation but she had so much to learn when they started. I guess she felt that this was happening to someone else and not her. It's funny what she thought about the interviews lol =P

And that guitar moment in the studio, she couldn't run away at all and had to make it with that guitar specialist... Imagine how she must have felt, so young and new to the music industry and she just can't run away or do anything, she HAS to play the intro as asked and all :/ Must have been scary for her but as she says a good experience in the end because I guess that's how you learn a lot and get more confident for the future.

Also, seems you need to love cats to marry MAMI... BRB, buying 20 cats. Wonder if she goes to these "Neko coffee" shop they have in Japan.

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t8777-game-fun-with-scandal
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t10195-game-2048-puzzle-scandal-editions
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:43 pm

somechineseguy

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Thank you so much Tanya for the translations!

I love their ending parts (BEST FUTURE Categories)... all of them made me laugh.
Rina: Thinking about marriage?  LOVE 
Tomo: Eating all kinds of food? She and I will be really good friends ahaha! And there is no doubt that she'll become a funky grandma.
Mami: I must start liking cats from now on.

Patiently waiting for the Haruna translations!

Credits go to Scandalsuki 
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:15 pm

Koi no Kajitsu

International Performer
International Performer
Wow! Mami wants to have ten cats!  WTF! 
I have only two cats and I think that's too much. Good luck to her future husband. lol

By the way , thanks for the translations!

{恋の果実}
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:58 pm

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo wrote:
And that guitar moment in the studio, she couldn't run away at all and had to make it with that guitar specialist... Imagine how she must have felt, so young and new to the music industry and she just can't run away or do anything, she HAS to play the intro as asked and all :/ Must have been scary for her but as she says a good experience in the end because I guess that's how you learn a lot and get more confident for the future.

I did read in another interview somewhere that she said guitar playing only felt like it became fun a couple of years ago... so maybe around the time of BABY ACTION, that's when they all kind of started becoming more confident as a band as they really found themselves.

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:14 am

GeoFreak

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Awesome, thanks for posting these! I buy magazines/books/albums and tell myself that I'll read them, but reading Japanese still takes too long for me. This helps a lot. MAMI's interview was particularly insightful. She's developed a lot as a musician and performer, even moreso since this interview, and it's good to see her put it in her own words.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:31 am

haritomi.denise

International Performer
International Performer
She sounds like my English teacher here. lolol

LOL

l DeviantArt ll Tumblr l
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:02 pm

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
GeoFreak wrote:Awesome, thanks for posting these! I buy magazines/books/albums and tell myself that I'll read them, but reading Japanese still takes too long for me. This helps a lot. MAMI's interview was particularly insightful. She's developed a lot as a musician and performer, even moreso since this interview, and it's good to see her put it in her own words.

Hang in there with the reading - it takes practice and baby steps like building up to reading books and magazines etc. Even reading without translating takes several re-reads, it'll never be as fast as reading in your native language. Twitter and blogs are deceptively easy because of length, but they use more casual expressions.
Songs also tend to be more grammatically loose, but it depends on the person. It's a good point that you bring up; people interpret things differently, if you end up reading the real interviews, you get a better sense of their personalities, I think.

MAMI definitely started changing as a performer, I feel like she has a keener sense of theatrics and stage presence now, it's really amazing to see in person. The whole 'guitar playing became much more enjoyable' line (I really need to find where I read that lol) really strikes me when I think about it, because you can really see it.

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:15 pm

syakmp

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Rina's interview regarding what Haruna told her is interesting... Haru' definitely like that straightforward big sister; I'm pretty sure this happened in their indies era then. I guess Rina's attitude to things like that led her to wanting to quit SCANDAL because she couldn't really get the basics of drumming.

Tomo's answers were hilarious! I would've loved to see Tomo squirm when she put her hands in the box thingy LOL. It'd be like seeing her eat weird food again and totally freak out.

To hear how Mami felt about guitar playing seems pretty natural to me if there's some guy standing over you telling you exactly how to play what and when to play it. It's really annoying to play something in a way that you don't like but she shouldn't really have problems like these anymore since she does do some composing and arranging herself. Yeah, Mami does love guitar now, you can really tell through the way she presents herself on stage! Ah, slightly offtopic, but because it was mentioned briefly, all the members really love Shibuya AX and to hear that it's closing (closed now probably) is sad.

Anyway, thank for the interviews!

Love SCANDAL!!  LOVE
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:22 pm

graysky14

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Know what Mami... I love Cats XD

Don't mind me... I'm just a geeky gamer who loves SCANDAL
Back to top Go down

HARU-neeee~~
Posted on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:08 pm

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (4 votes)

The last part! Hope you've enjoyed reading~~~ What will I read/translate next? Wait and see :3

They see who I am, acknowledge and accept it - and of course, that makes me incredibly happy...:
Best Debut
When you debuted, was there anything that personally had a big impact on you?

Before we debuted, we went on tour in America, but if I had to say one thing, it would be moving to Tokyo.

So for you, going to Tokyo was the same thing as debuting?
Yeah, I think so. In my head, living in Tokyo and making music for a living - I had always envisioned these two things were a pair. Of course, when I moved to Tokyo, it was like the sense that this lifestyle had become a reality increased exponentially, so it was something that had a very big impact on me.

But as a matter of fact, what actually changed when you moved to Tokyo?
I couldn’t relax (laughs). Like, I developed a strong self-consciousness that I was always being watched by adults. It felt like I was in a situation where, even when I wasn’t working, I couldn’t relax … or so I believed. I still remember that anxiety, even now.

After moving to Tokyo, while facing that anxiety, was there something in particular you used to occupy your mind?
I think maybe it’s just because I was doing something in my room but, it was where I kept my laptop. As soon as I got home, I would turn on my laptop and start doing something right away – it was important that I kept it there. But even when I’m relaxing, I’m still doing something on my computer. Right now, I keep it right next to my futon. I’m very satisfied with this arrangement. (laughs)

Best Happy
What’s made you the happiest since starting SCANDAL?

The letters I’ve been receiving from fans lately – it seems like they’ve been really going out of their way to go to my hometown. They write about how they saw my school and walked around the neighbourhood. They also said that they went to see the same things I had seen – from one place, or another. It made me extremely happy.

So they wanted to trace your footsteps?
There’s a widespread feeling that people interested in me as a person. People tell me that they like particular lyrics I’ve written, they ask where and how I spent my time, and go around my hometown so they can see how the lyrics compare with the real thing. They see who I really am, acknowledge it and accept it – and of course that makes me incredibly happy.

Best Unhappy
What’s something that’s made you unhappy since you started SCANDAL?

I have something that frustrates me – even now when I think about it, I wish I could fix it. It was when we performed ShoujoS on Music Station.

Ah, I see. You made a mistake with the lyrics, right?
Seriously … I completely messed up. I was so fired up beforehand. I was so nervous because it was MS, like I reached my breaking point. We were the very last performance so we had to wait until the end and listen to a lot of people speak, in that particular way live broadcasts work. In my head I was just like ○x%#,$...  and I completely fell apart. Nothing comes out of thinking ‘I screwed it up’, over and over again, but when I think about it, I get really frustrated.

Even though you practised so much.
Nothing could be done about it but I kept thinking, just switch the cameras, just cut away. Anyway, I went home as soon as I could and watched the recording to check if it really happened. I wondered how they would film it, but after the mistake, it was the only thing I could think about (laughs).

Best SCANDAL
So for you, HARUNA, have there been any events that have made you think, ‘what is this timing?!”

2011 was the year where we were finally able to develop as a band. As band mates, we became able to face each other, respectfully. It wasn’t like we were forcing our ways of thinking onto others; it was that we were able to properly express what we wanted to say. We came to an understanding about a lot of things, and became more considerate of each other.

Can you recall an occasion in particular?

I wonder… I think it was just that various things accumulated over time. Around the same time, everyone moved house and we were a bit more spread out than we were before. I feel like, even though in terms of distance, we were further apart, we met more often to talk, instead. Of course, that wasn’t the only reason, but if I had to name something specific, that would be one factor.

So it would be that your bonds deepened despite your separation?

I guess so. Well, it wasn’t like we were together almost every day and then we were separated, though.

Best Revolution
Have there been any moments where you feel like you’ve changed?
Ever since our debut, even though I was hanging on for dear life, I’ve been at my best. Thinking, “I’ll give it everything I’ve got!”, we released ShoujoS, and I realised some things – maybe that’s where I first started to change.

What ‘things’ did you realise?
I think it was that I had self-confidence. Of course, I’m not completely sure that I can describe it with just that one word but, all the hesitation, doubt and indecision I had carried until then became lighter. Well, anyway, I think I really just changed naturally and started thinking positively, “Well, I just have to do my best!”. As a leader, it wasn’t just a position, it really pushed me.

So, your awareness as a leader started to blossom.
Certainly, I started being able to become more aware and conscious of being the leader, but now I’m much more relaxed. Since we’re a band, it’s not just me, and there are things pushing all of us.

Best Future
What’s your ideal future, HARUNA?

I have a lot of specific goals. Maybe I’m not the kind of person who thinks about the big picture kind of future that’s deep and meaningful.

Anything’s fine. Something like, I’d like to do that~
I see. No matter how old I get, I think I want to still be able to carry on SCANDAL in some form. Other than that, I want to live overseas!

Oh, the topic just changed really quickly. Where would you like to live?
LA! I feel like it suits me (laughs).

There were toooo many good quotes in this one, as well,  but for a different reason.

Last edited by TanyaLilac on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:46 pm

katheriine

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Aww. That's really sweet of Haru about the fan letters.
I didn't thought that haru was so frustrated about the mistake in shoujo s in music station.

Anyway, cheers for you TanyaLilac for translating all this!

There is no life without music
STANDARD
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Yuffie

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Indeed, thank you very much for those translations TanyaLila!
I hope you will translate the interviews from Scandal Baby Action Photobook, I am quite frustrated of not being able to read them ^^"

On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:50 pm

somechineseguy

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Oh man, I felt some pain reading the ShoujoS mess up on her part at Music Station... but she soldiers on.

That's what I love about her.

Credits go to Scandalsuki 
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:51 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Indeed, very nice interview from our HARU-sama  Love 

I doubt she will be able to live in LA anytime soon though. With their career and schedule it's not gonna happen unless she buys/rents an apartment there for a few weeks vacation every year. Well this interview is 2 years old, maybe this was just a thought at that time.

Thanks for your work TanyaLilac, waiting to read your next translations!  Praise 

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:06 am

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
I know the video of that performance is around somewhere on the internet, RINA also may have dropped her drumstick or something at the end as well. :/ It's an interesting performance from them haha.

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2017 SCANDAL HEAVEN.