For the curious me~ [Page 1 of 1]

For the curious me~
Posted on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:47 pm

LJSLJH

Caless Student
Caless Student
Hello, this is my second post:) Just wanna ask these questions since I've been only been a fan of SCANDAL in early 2012, and to me,Japanese artists are the hardest to follow because of limited info... I hope you can share your SCANDAL knowledge with me! Please 

1. Who misses Haruna's old voice? DO you think she'll be able to get back her old voice?I also wonder what is the real cause of losing her voice~

2. What do you think of SCANDAL's popularity in Japan? I mean, are they really well-known there? or is it like average? They are always on tour, I feel like they're doing that much because they need to increase their popularity. 

3. Their albums usually sell <60,000, they never had #1 regular album, their singles usually sell around the same number... if fans are buying multiple versions, it means that if 1 fan=1 album, then the sales will be lower.So does that mean that they actually have a small fanbase? 

4. They attended the same high school, but why is Haruna's two years older?

5. If they pushed their plan of giving Haruna a break when she lost her voice and the rest continue performing..Can you imagine SCANDAL without Haruna? To me , I can't imagine Tomomi and Mami singing songs all by themselves..

That's it!I hope you can share your opinions with me because I'm really curious!  Shy Shy  Shy Thanks! Praise

Back to top Go down

Re: For the curious me~
Posted on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:41 pm

babaloued

International Performer
International Performer
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

I don't remember if you have already presented yourself so hi and welcome to SH Peace Onion !

I can't really answer to some of your questions but for what I know
1. As their kind of music style tends to be a little bit different that what they did during their major debut, something more pop than rock in my opinion, it might come from this. If you talk about Haruna's voice sounds to be less 'powerful', it comes from they do lots of things now. I mean lives, festivals, TV programs... so she didn't have so much time to rest her voice

2. They did a live in OJH and they gonna do one more time this June so I think they are pretty popular in Japan. 

3. I don't know.

4.Haru is older because she was in the same school dance as Mami and Tomo (if i'm not mistanken...) and this is how then band has been formed.

5. If Haru has to do a break due to a voice problem, I think the band will stop for a time.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
 SCANDAL live 

2012.07.16 - バンドやろうよ!vol.3
2012.08.21 - Canal City Hakata
2014.06.28/29 - ARENA FESTIVAL DAY 1&2

2014.08.05 - RIJF 2014
2015.04.25/26/30 - HW TOUR 2015
2015.10.21 - TIMM
2016.09.10/17/20/21/24/25 - YELLOW in EUROPE 2016
Live!
15 are still not enough !
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:06 am

Lexian

http://ask.fm/frozentheory
Hello LJSLJH!
Welcome to the forum! I see you have some questions regarding SCANDAL and some pertaining to Haruna.

1. I, for one, do miss Haruna's "old" voice. I doubt she'll return to that state...it's something most fans have come to accept these days. Cause of the voice loss was from straining it a while few years ago.

2. I'd say they're fairly popular in Japan. Enough so that they've had multiple product endorsements, done songs for animes, TV shows, movies, tour very often like you said, and even had that SCANDAL SHOP open in Harajuku a couple of years ago. Playing shows at Osaka-Jo Hall and Nippon Budokan are pretty big too. Bands are always trying to expand and grow their fanbases.

3. In terms of how their singles or albums do when they're released, you also have to consider what else is coming out in that same time frame. Stuff from even bigger bands, j-pop artists, idol groups, etc. tend to draw in more listeners. I think I've seen SCANDAL and Perfume released something on the same week. You can guess how that ranked up. (Perfume can get ~60-90k single sales in the first week)

4. I think you're confusing highschool and their vocal & dance school. All 4 of them went to Caless Vocal and Dance school in Osaka where they learned to play their instruments and sing.

5. (Please note that this is just an answer to a "What if" question). I probably can't imagine SCANDAL without Haruna. I'm too used to see Haru as equally being a part of the group. There's something off with SCANDAL in the absence of that "older sister" in Haruna.

As and ending note, feel free to make yourself familiar to the rest of the forum here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Our information index is a good source of SCANDAL facts too:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are also good sources for Japanese music news.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Moderator of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:11 am

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
You thanked this post! -

1. I do not miss it, it's just a bit different and also their style changed a bit. And we won't get it back anyway so no point in missing it, I love her voice nowadays too. Unless I missed an information about it, she simply forced her voice too much and didn't rest it/trained it enough so she got problems.

2. Depends to what/who you compare them to. Compared to some huge stars they are small but I think they have a good fan base. Not all the bands can do Budokan or OJH and this year they have 3 more arenas. They are obviously not #1 but they are up there.

3. This is a bit like #2. They are not superstars but they sell good/ok, much much more than some bands but less than others. I also wish they would sell more but I think the important part is that their sales are not dropping at all and also it seems their company supports them a lot lately because the girls can compose more music it seems and also they are doing 3 arenas. So maybe they don't get only #1 releases but they are always in that top 5 I think.

Also I think the sales numbers we have for SCANDAL are only the numbers of physical CD sales not digital? Anyways, it's not like in the past, 60.000 maybe doesn't sound too big but it's still a lot. I'm listening to Ayumi Hamasaki lately and she is a mega superstar in Japan. In 2004 her album My Story sold for 1.1 million (source Wiki). In 2012 her album Party Queen sold "only" for 148.000. So a mega star sells for 148k, SCANDAL for ~60k, I think that's nice. In 2013 her album Love Again sold for... 88.000. Yeah I know it's hard to compare and there can be a lot of reasons for the numbers but just wanted to point that out Happy

4. They were in the same dance & vocal school called CALESS, it's not a normal high school if I understood correctly. That's why they don't have the same age.

5. We will never know Happy They talked about it because they are professionals and you have to think about all the possibilities but in the end they didn't do it. To me, SCANDAL is a perfect set up and I cannot imagine the band without HARUNA. When she had problems I doubt they could have performed with only 3 members, not only is HARU the main singer/leader but she also plays guitar and this is not just an idol dancing band. Would have felt very weird to see them without HARU.

And for future it seems HARU now takes care about her voice like any other singer so it should be fine. If she has a problem I guess they will simply change the schedule and not perform but instead maybe work on songs in studios or things like that. I can't see SCANDAL without HARU to be honest.

_____

By the way, you should find all the information you need on Heaven now for the future ^^ There is a special media section only available to members with more than 50 messages too. But don't spam or mods will ban you xD

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:45 am

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
You thanked this post! -

1. Most of her "old voice" was created in the studio. Not that she didn't have a good voice, just that what you hear on the albums often isn't really her. Even live, you can hear how much reverb they put on her in their first two live show DVD's. But that's still closer to her natural voice. On the albums, they doubled or tripled her voice and then compressed it to heck.

The only real changes to her voice that I can hear now are a) it's naturally a little bit lower from aging, and b) it's physically stronger and more technically proficient. Overall, I choose her current voice - as long as it's not auto-tuned.

2. They are the most popular girl's band, but in terms of overall popularity, you would probably be surprised how many people have *not* heard of them. I visit family and friends there a couple times a year and if the subject of what I'm doing comes up and I say "going to a Scandal concert", more often than not I end up having to explain who they are. And this is to Japanese people in Japan who are of that same age or maybe a little older.

They're popular, but they're not universal.

3. But this is true of basically every musical act in Japan. How do you think AKB48 sells 1 million copies of their latest single? By making 4 different versions, or including "election ballots" in each one (and you can vote 10 times if you buy 10 copies) or whatever. Every act there has figured out ways to get fans to buy multiple copies of everything, so relatively speaking, Scandal would still be the same level of popularity.

Music in general doesn't sell the way it used to, so the record labels have had to get creative. That doesn't mean there aren't as many fans, but those fans may get their music "other" ways.

4. They weren't all at the same level in school. In fact Rina was equivalent to a freshman while it seems Tomomi and Mami were equivalent to juniors and Haruna was like a senior. I'm not sure what they actually call these levels in Japan.

I also don't think it's been said outright anywhere but my impression is that Haruna ended up a little behind for her age. I'm not sure why but she was in a couple of movies while it seems she was still in school (it was before Scandal, and Scandal started while they were still in school), so I wonder if she took a little time off for that, or just slowed down her studies a bit and therefore took a little longer (taking fewer credits, or however it works there).

5. No way, that would have been a travesty. Their fans would have revolted.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:10 pm

LJSLJH

Caless Student
Caless Student
Thank you for all you've shared! Well, I can't imagine SCANDAL without Haruna, and I'm glad they didn't go on hiatus. I liked Haruna's voice from their first album, so I was kindof worried and upset about her new voice for a while. But since Awanai came out, I got used to it. 

I wish they get more popular, and never disband or be on hiatus. Also, I hope Japan will give them more exposure internationally. And I hope that after their Arena tour, they will be more known and sell more albums and singles.

Back to top Go down