Posted on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:01 am

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://scandalbaby.wordpress.com
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (4 votes)

Okay SH, this is on like donkey kong because I've got Wolfgang Amadaeus Phoenix running and a great glass of white wine.

I'm going to disclaimer this now, because I forgot to before - which is, quote at your own risk. This is not to be taken as gospel, but merely shed some light on the workings of the band and the things they have said in the past (opinions change with perspective!). This is how I've chosen to interpret these articles and this thus renders all this information second-hand, so if you want to really know the ins and outs of these articles, take a look at the books etc yourself and feel free to use this translation as your guide. It goes without saying that this applies to all translations you find out there on the internet.

Without further ado, I present a translation of the BABY ACTION Album Interview: "Action to reach your dreams". Enjoy~!

"We won't let our intentions be compromised.":

Action to Reach Your Dreams

From daily trivialities to big dreams … everything starts with an action. As we step forward and take that first step, SCANDAL’s new album, BABY ACTION, gives us courage. The four members talked a lot about this work, which is full of their honest feelings.

What did want to do with this third album?

RINA: This time around, we decided on the title beforehand. We discussed ideas and things we liked, and decided it in the studio when we were rehearsing.

HARUNA: We had a lot of things we wanted to say, but as expected, the aftermath of the earthquake had a big impact. [T/N: i.e. the Great Touhoku Earthquake on March 11, 2011. If you forgot about this … I have no words for you]

RINA: So, from the start, this wasn’t a “this is us” kind of an album, it was something for the listener, a “for you” kind of album that we wanted to make.

TOMOMI: When the earthquake happened, I really thought we were powerless. We could only sit in front of the TV and watch the news footage, like we had no energy. But then, even though I really had thought we couldn’t do anything, we heard a lot of voices through twitter and message boards telling us, ‘When I listen to SCANDAL, I feel better’, or ‘I’m able to get through this’.  So, I was able to believe that we could do something. We had something we could do, we had something we wanted to say, and we knew that there were people who would accept that. With these things in mind, we also changed how we recorded the album. “We want to inspire action with our music” – this idea is connected to the title, BABY ACTION.

RINA: Since we said the Dreamer tour was about ‘inspiring action towards our dreams’, as expected, we talked about wanting to include the word, “ACTION”. “BABY” refers to us. We’re still immature, and even though we’re just starting out, we won’t allow our intentions to be compromised; but it also refers to our ‘devilish’ side.

MAMI: When it actually came down to the tour, I think it was a big deal that we were able to go to Sendai. We didn’t know whether or not we could do a show at Zepp Sendai up until the last minute. But, if there was even one person who wanted to see us, we definitely wanted to do a concert there, even if we had to do it in the streets! That was what we went in mind with. Like TOMO said, the only thing we can do is make music and, with regards to the concert in Sendai, we felt strongly that we could reach people with our music. Thinking, ‘can’t we inspire action as well?’, even for the people who couldn’t come and see us, we planned a high-energy show. We made the album between the first and second halves of the tour but I think this album was greatly influenced by amazing things like the audience, and the desires and the feelings that each of us wanted to express when performing.

HARUNA: I think the word “ACTION” has really become this year’s theme for SCANDAL. The tour was named ‘Dreamer’ before the earthquake. We can start some kind of action amongst ourselves, and therefore, it’s good to have a common dream – that is where the title came from.  This is something that we had already started talking about around the time of ‘Pride’. Well, if I had to say, around the end of last year, we recorded ‘Pride’ with the mindset “2011 is the year for action!”. This time around, I think the album is a compilation of all of these thoughts. Along with songs made for us by our sempai in rock bands, this is our first attempt at pulling all these things together – these are our own actions.

Edit:

Part Two

Last edited by TanyaLilac on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Read (pre-debut) SCANDAL blog translations at Scandal Baby on Wordpress or Livejournal

Translations on SCANDAL HEAVEN:
SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
GIRLS BE SCANDALOUS Artist Book: Long Interview | Photo Archives & Interview Archives
BABY ACTION Magazine Edition: Album Interview | SCANDAL Girl's Love Talk & Conversation
Back to top Go down

Re: The BABY ACTION Album Interview
Posted on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:43 am

Yuffie

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I didn't know about the story behind Baby Action title, thank you so much for your work TanyaLilac!^_^

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:10 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Thanks Ho Onion 

I love to know more about the band like and how they decide thing, what's their thoughts, etc  Onion Smile 

So Sendai suffered a lot from the earthquake and they didn't know if they could play or if people wanted to come? That must have been a special experience for them, I guess it ended up ok.

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t8777-game-fun-with-scandal
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t10195-game-2048-puzzle-scandal-editions
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:08 pm

LJSLJH

Caless Student
Caless Student
Thank you for this post! Clap But  has anyone of you has seen them perform the songs from BABY ACTION live?I mean the songs that are non-single and not performed on TVs,events///?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:29 pm

jrld

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://last.fm/user/jrldsng
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

LJSLJH wrote:Thank you for this post! Clap But  has anyone of you has seen them perform the songs from BABY ACTION live?I mean the songs that are non-single and not performed on TVs,events///?

As far as I know, they have performed all of the songs from BABY ACTION when they just released the album, and promoted it with a tour after. That's all I can tell!

Ninja Edit:
Here's a setlist from the Virgin Hall Tour they had before.
Autumn Tour 2011, 13th Oct, Kobe

1. LOVE SURVIVE
2. Sparkling
3. Scandal Nanka Buttobase
4. Sono Toki, Sekai wa Kimi Darake no Rain
5. DOLL
6. Shoujo S
7. Shoujo M
8. Dobondobondo no Theme 
9. Appletachi no Dengon
10. Maboroshi Night
11. Tokyo Skyscrapper
12. BURN
13. Haruka
14. Pride
15. Very Special
16. Shunkan Sentimental
17. EVERYBODY SAY YEAH
18. SCANDAL BABY

Encore:

E1. GLAMOROUS YOU
E2. one piece

So yeah... I didn't really answer your question. Haha. But... no. I haven't seen them perform them although I would have wanted to see it.

ALSO, thanks TanyaLilac! 1901

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:22 am

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

LJSLJH wrote:Thank you for this post! Clap But  has anyone of you has seen them perform the songs from BABY ACTION live?I mean the songs that are non-single and not performed on TVs,events///?

I saw them play 'Sono Toki' at the first Osaka show during the 'SCA wa mada honki dashitenai' livehouse tour last year in summer some time, it was freaking hot. The opening chord was just spectacular and instantly recognisable - MAMI completely ripped the song apart haha. I posted my thoughts on the related thread - this is my report ... but there are definitely others there. I forgot they had done GLAMOROUS YOU, but I kind of remember it now ...

@jrld - 1901 is a greattt track. Rediscovering the whole album and I have to say Girlfriend, Armistice, Fences have all taken on a new shine for me.

Read (pre-debut) SCANDAL blog translations at Scandal Baby on Wordpress or Livejournal

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
GIRLS BE SCANDALOUS Artist Book: Long Interview | Photo Archives & Interview Archives
BABY ACTION Magazine Edition: Album Interview | SCANDAL Girl's Love Talk & Conversation
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:11 pm

jrld

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://last.fm/user/jrldsng
TanyaLilac wrote:
@jrld - 1901 is a greattt track. Rediscovering the whole album and I have to say Girlfriend, Armistice, Fences have all taken on a new shine for me.

Armistice is my jam. Haha. Countdown too ever since they played it during their take away show.

But I don't think this is the thread to be discussing this. Hahaha.

Back to top Go down

Part Two
Posted on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:59 pm

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

Part Two of the Interview~

Moving on~! Talking about collaborations ...
There are a lot of ways to interpret this song ...:

On this album you did have HiGE’s Aigon (Aida Shigekazu, gt.) and Sutou Hisashi (v. & gt.), and MONOBRIGHT’s Hidaka Tooru (v., gt. & key) participate in producing, composing and song writing.

T/N: Aigon produced ‘Sono Toki’ while Sutou wrote lyrics. Hidaka produced and arranged ‘Tokyo Skyscraper’.

RINA: We actually recorded ‘Sono Toki, Sekai wa Kimi Darake no Rain’, the song Aigon-san wrote for us, together as a group; I did the drums in a single take – it has a ‘rehearsal’ sound to it. It wasn’t supposed to be the real thing, so I didn’t even think they would record us, so I played quite naturally. Aigon-san told me it was fine as it was. It was the first time I’d done it like that (laughs). I was really surprised but I guess it was something he would do. I realised that maybe bands could play like this, too.

MAMI: Sutou-san wrote the lyrics for Aigon-san’s song. I wondered if it was really okay for us to sing a song that HiGE-sama could sing. How does the chorus go again? < The hate in my heart is love and thunder and pain>!

HARUNA: That was marvellous (laughs).

MAMI: It was so extreme. Moreover, you can think of it as being a love song, or about the current state of Japan; you can even think about it as being a song about the Earth itself. If you think about it deeply, there are a lot of ways to interpret this song.

TOMOMI: For me, there were so many words that I had never said once in my life, scattered throughout the song; I remember being really impressed when I saw something new. I used to look at other artists’ lyrics, and I liked to try thinking about replacing their personalities with my own words. But, when it came to this song, I had no idea what to do (laughs). It was a completely different way of thinking compared to all the lyrics I had seen up until then. I had no comprehension of what it was, like “What are we even singing?!” – This was my first impression of this song. But, whenever I sing it, I feel its depth, and it’s quite moving. The interaction between the melody and the lyrics, the rhythm and structure of the score …… we were the ones who thought about where to put the <abracadabra> part, but I feel like we saw a new method of song writing.

That <abracadabra> part is the four of you singing in unison, right? Wasn’t that your first time singing, RINA?

RINA: Well, basically, it’s because I don’t go into the recording booth (laughs).

HARUNA: The three of us have, but it was RINA’s first time singing. We all got into the booth and sang together – we had a lot of fun.

TOMOMI: To get us pumped up, we turned the lights down – it felt like a live house when we were recording.

MAMI: We have other songs that appear on this album, like Hidaka-san’s ‘Tokyo Skyscraper’.

What was it like recording with Hidaka-san?

MAMI: He was like a mother, or you could say he was the kind of person who’s constantly like “Work harder, guys!” Even though he’s kind of Spartan, when he told me, “Hang in there, with the guitar!” I felt like I had to focus and play more precisely. While it made me nervous when he put pressure on me, I think I was able to discover a new side of myself. He ordered me to do things like, “Play it with a bit more expression” or “The chorus needs to be dynamic!” I was also able to add in a bit of improvisation that I was satisfied with – it was really enlightening.

HARUNA: This track also has a keyboard part in it, so r.u.ko-san from THE BEACHES, who came with us on the America tour during our indies days, came to help us. We were really happy she remembered us, and she was really motherly when she looked at us kindly and said, “Wow~ you’ve all grown up!”

TOMOMI: At first, she carefully played some really beautiful chords. After she finished recording the chords, when I said, “Thank you very much for going through all this trouble to help us!” she told me, “Not at all, I haven’t even started yet” (laughs). Then, she was moving her fingers like crazy and added this really creepy sound to the song. It was almost perversely awesome and cool at the same time. SCANDAL doesn’t have a keyboardist so it was really fresh and new.

I would loooove to have seen the Sono Toki recording session XD

Musings on Very Special, Glamorous You and one piece... :

Speaking of first attempts, this album includes the first song that was both written and composed by the band, ‘Very Special’.

MAMI: It started with the B-side on the first release of 2011, ‘Pride’, which was RINA’s song (‘Emotion’). The B-side for ‘Haruka’ was mine (‘Want You’), then ‘LOVE SURVIVE’ was TOMO’s ...... (T/N: I think she actually forgot; the B-side was ‘Hikare’; RINA wrote the lyrics and she wrote the music with MAMI)
When we say that we can write our own songs, it’s also like saying that we’re one step closer to reaching our dreams. Maybe we’ve matured a bit since our previous works, on this album.

TOMOMI: Like RINA said at the beginning, up until ‘TEMPTATION BOX’, we had a lot of songs that said, ‘This is who we are!’ BABY ACTION is like a present that we want to give, or thoughts we want to share; there really are a lot of songs written ‘for you’. Recently, there has been a lot of dramatic news, and our thoughts in regards to these things are expressed in our lyrics. After the earthquake, I wrote down my thoughts word for word. It was the same way I had written lyrics previously, but at the same time the melody fell into place, so to speak. It wasn’t that we were aiming to make something in particular, but our everyday lives make us think about what the ‘present’ is – and that was the only thing I could write about in this song.

What would you say this song is about?

TOMOMI: I think it’s that the earthquake was a big thing. On one hand, the earthquake brings back terrible memories for some people, but in completely different places, there were other consequences of the earthquake. To say that we lived in these times …… so once again, we double check if we have special people and special things in our lives. The ‘human-ness’ within us resonates strongly, and we want to see if we can still feel the things we have carried for a long time. I believe we all have meanness and kindness within us, but usually we can’t show these sides, and we forget things that are ‘too precious’. They’re hard to express, but I want to convey that all of these things are important.

Could you tell us what some of these Very Special things are?

RINA: For me, it’s the other members. I really don’t want them to tell me, “RINA, leave the band.” (laughs).

MAMI: And what would you do if we told you that? (Bullying!)

RINA: I don’t even want to imagine that (laughs). To me, the existence of this band is Very Special. Because we’re all here together, I was able to meet people I wouldn’t have been able to meet otherwise, and I can feel things I wouldn’t have been able to feel before. Every day, I get the sense that I can see what my dreams are because of the other members. Every day, I feel like the four of us are becoming closer to being one. Times when we have our band-esque conversations like, ‘how’s the chorus developing?’, are also Very Special to me. There’s a big difference but, within each day, finding those Very Special things are calming.

HARUNA: Everyone we are able to meet throughout our lives is Very Special, I think. I believe that our encounters are all the result of our fate. Even encounters that are connected to unpleasant or painful things, for example, even if it’s something like someone noticing your mistakes, they all evoke special feelings. So, after the earthquake, I came to feel grateful just to be alive. It might be a bit over-dramatic to say this, but I was glad to be born, and it was because I was born that I was able to feel this way; I felt strongly that it would be nice to sing about the happiness in the trivial events of our everyday lives.

MAMI: I also believe that being born in this world is Very Special. The other members, my family, everyone who I’ve met – in other words, I have to be alive to meet them, right? Maybe the four of us being able to meet each other was decided from the start. I mean, there were a lot of people who started playing instruments at the same time, at the same school.

RINA: It really is very mysterious, isn’t it?

MAMI: In hindsight, maybe it’s just the case that we may have been the only ones left who really wanted to do this, but the teacher who provided these circumstances for us is Very Special, and from here on out, I guess we’ll be able to meet even more Very Special people. So, I’m really glad to be living in these times, and I’m so grateful for so many things.

TOMOMI: I feel the same as everyone else. Within that, though, “right here, in this moment” is also Very Special. Every since I was born, right up until the present, I have always been walking this path in the ‘now’. Along the way, I have met various people and come in contact with various people. Because of this, tiny little emotions have awakened and have expressed themselves naturally. It might be nothing, but I think it’s Very Special. That’s what I think it means, ‘Very Special’ – it’s something that can be found anywhere, by anyone. It’s hard to see the things that are very important to you, so if people can remember what they really treasure when they hear this song, it would make me very happy.

Were you worried about the order of the songs on this album?

HARUNA: We talked about having ‘LOVE SURVIVE’, a song about a one-sided, unstable relationship, as the first song. However, we decided in early stages to start with ‘GLAMOROUS YOU’ and end with ‘one piece’.

MAMI: I wrote the lyrics for ‘GLAMOROUS YOU’ but it has parts that link to ‘Very Special’. Japan is currently a bit all over the place, but I think everyone can find happiness in small things. For example, catching an earlier train, or you buy something and get exactly 777 yen in change. Everyone is different, but it’s these small things that make you able to feel like, ‘I’ll do my best tomorrow, too’ or ‘I can get through today’. I wanted everyone to find these tiny things that make you happy in their daily life, so I wrote this song. Let’s write about this theme, I thought, and I drew on various things that gave me energy. No matter what I do, finding small things that make me happy, makes the task enjoyable. I want people to listen to this song, look at the lyrics and see if they can find things that can make them enjoy their day.

What moments in your day do you find happiness?

MAMI: When I’m able to eat gyoza when I’m craving it. I bought some frozen gyoza in front of the station, and took it home. On the first day, I just fried it like you normally do, with wings, and it turned out really, really well (laughs). On the second day, I boiled them. They were edible, but I wasn’t that impressed (laughs).

TOMOMI: Mine’s quite similar, but once I was starving and I thought I didn’t have any food in the house. Then when I opened the fridge, I found some Shau Essen (T/N: A brand of sausages). But, there was only one day left before they expired. I was so hungry, it was actually a miracle that I found them.

MAMI: It saved your life?

TOMOMI: Yes, it really did (laughs). Well, I guess you could say I could have gone out, but when you have no where you want to go, it’s pretty bad when you only have things that you have to fry.

RINA: For me, it was today, when I went to a cosmetics store in Harajuku for today’s photo shoot. Someone told me, “Aren’t you SCANDAL’s RINA-chan? I always sing <ShoujoS> at karaoke.” It made me really happy.

HARUNA: I’m going to change to topic, actually, and talk about true abilities – but lately, I’ve had some concerns about my vocal expression. But on the latter half of the tour, without thinking about anything, I felt like energy was flowing through me while I was standing on-stage, and I realised I was singing from a completely new part of myself. I feel like I was able to discover a new way to express myself, so I was glad.

That’s exactly what the last track on the album, ‘one piece’ is – it’s an exercise using the dignified expression of HARUNA’s voice.

TOMOMI: Yeah, well, more than that, I think that it’s more about the evocative power of her voice.

And RINA wrote the lyrics this time.

RINA: Up until now, we’ve written so many songs that say, “If we don’t give up, our dreams won't ever end”, but I wanted to write a song for when we did actually reach the dreams that we haven’t fulfilled yet. In my mind, I have an image of us, on the stage of Osaka Jou Hall, standing with our eyes closed, with the curtains yet to go up. Then the instant the curtains open with a bang, and those feelings we’ll have, the first few seconds after we open our eyes – that is what I wrote about. Now, because I’m writing about our past – the things that we’ve collided with, the things we’ve made sure of – I remember them perfectly. It’s because we’ve written those songs, that I want to be able to fulfil the all dreams we hold right now. Our songs have become promises, and we want everyone to look forward to the day when we perform at Osaka Jou Hall.

MAMI: That’s a dream we’ve had since the days of our street concerts at Shiroten, before our debut. We all want to work hard, to the point where we’re pouring our tears into it, so we can reach that dream. Personally, when I look at these lyrics, I feel like we’re becoming bigger than just who we are – our own existence, the dreams we cherish and hold in our arms; it reaffirms that the four of us want to realise our dream of performing at Osaka Jou Hall.

And it's finished~! Make sure you check out the other parts of the BABY ACTION MAGAZINE (I think it's mostly translated now, I don't know if the notes for the lyrics were also translated), i.e.
BABY ACTION 100Q & 100A, which was a mammoth joint effort between quite a number of translators.
and SCANDAL Girl's Talk & Love Conversation which is all style and no musical substance. XD

Last edited by TanyaLilac on Sun May 18, 2014 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Making it easier to spot. XD Annnd added the second part.)

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon May 19, 2014 5:50 am

waning_moon

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I love this I love this I love this. Makes me appreciate the songs even more and what a coincidence, I really needed all those words. Being grateful for everyday little things that make you happy, etc. Thank you =)

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon May 19, 2014 6:37 am

Yuffie

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Thanks a lot again for your tremendous work Tanya, I am very grateful!!^o^

On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Back to top Go down