Re: SCANDAL in Hawaii Memories
Posted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:25 am

macrx78

Caless Student
Caless Student
Nice we got all fields covered! From personal entries to photos to now video! Naisuuuu Jobu Airi Chan!

@IndoLegend & Kaitanuva Someone's gotta capture the moment right?
And IndoLengend Mami did seem to actually take the question seriously haha but it was cute. I never expected Mami to flat out say yeah I want a family and kids so we can go to concerts together. 

I believe Noodles said he was also posting a video as well. I can't wait for them!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:24 am

IndoLegend

Caless Student
Caless Student
Right on Marc! Mind if I steal some of the pics?  Please 

@Noodles, dude you got a jackpot. When I saw Takahiro's bag the first time, I was like "Where shall I mug this guy?!?!" xD. Is Neil the only one going to Japan? or is there another group going there also from SH? And btw, I can't watch the video since you put it on private.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:34 am

thoseguiltyeyes

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo wrote:It's amazing how you all came together and had such a wonderful trip, all thanks to SCANDAL! SCANDAL but also some fans (TGE but also others?) who had to fight to make it happen for international fans. Hopefully international fans will be included right from the start next time.

I handled things after we were finally given the chance to participate in the tour. Before that, when it wasn't open to anyone outside of Japan, a group of my local LA friends and I had to fight to make that chance happen in the first place by visiting H.I.S. locations here and e-mailing all kinds of people and companies.

--------------------------------------------------

IndoLegend wrote:Is Neil the only one going to Japan? or is there another group going there also from SH?

Out of the people in our group who went to Hawaii, only Neil and Sam will be going to the arena shows. A few other SH members from other countries will be going as well.

--------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all of your write-ups, everyone! I especially enjoyed yours, Lale, though it's too bad you had to leave out something interesting that happened during one of the dinners. Tongue

I still need to post mine. It's taking a lot longer to write than I thought it would, haha.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2011.07.03 SCANDAL @ AM2 -Anaheim, CA
2012.03.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN @武道館
2012.11.03 SCANDAL HALL TOUR 2012 @愛知
2012.11.04 SCANDAL HALL TOUR
2012.11.10 SCANDAL @ Happy MUSIC Live 2012
2013.03.03 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 @大阪城ホール
2014.06.01 Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2014
2014.06.02 SCANDAL Fan Meeting
2015.04.25 SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015「HELLO WORLD」 -Paris, FR
2015.04.26「HW」-London, UK
2015.04.30「HW」-Essen, GER
2015.05.15「HW」-Chicago, IL
2015.05.20「HW」-Mexico City, MEX
2015.05.22「HW」-Los Angeles, CA
2015.05.23「HW」-Anaheim, CA
2016.01.12 SCANDAL ARENA TOUR『PERFECT WORLD』@武道館
2016.01.13 PERFECT WORLD
2016.05.21 Welcome Fan Meeting
2016.05.22 SCANDAL @ Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2016
2016.05.23 Farewell Fan Meeting
2016.08.21 SCANDAL 10th ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL @泉大津フェニックス
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:41 am

macrx78

Caless Student
Caless Student
@IndoLegend Lol you can just call me Mar(k) that's the real spelling. But yes you should be able to download them off flickr that's why I posted them there so everyone can have access and get what they like.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:20 am

Noodles

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
http://atarashiimusic.com
@Indo Oh sorry, here is the video now made public, Youtube is taking AGES on editing what I wanted to upload so hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to post 2-3 more videos I really wanted to post! 

Heres the video of us at the airport before a huge dissapointment hit us. Just hearing myself say "We'll see how this goes" makes me sad Sad

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:50 am

jephilologist

Caless Student
Caless Student
fredrickfx wrote:Although I must admit, I do feel like Team Rina was cheated!
YES WE WERE! (O_o) Nah. Fun is fun. It was very intense for everyone though. Even Rina said everyone looking so desperate was very funny.

@macrx78
aww you posted translations before me. thanks for the translations and it is a-ok. no problems with it. Now I don't remember every single detail from that interview and I regret my slow wits not recording the interview with my music player. (bakabakabaka Frustrated ).

Though the first question was phrased more like, "At what age (do you think) are you going to get married?". So when I heard Rina spout "rainen" my mind kind of like stopped translating. LOL and so I lost track of Mami's and the rest of the girls' answers. And when I heard "joudan" I was like Sweating .....

@minna
What surprised me though was how much I understood from all the conversations that happened throughout that SCANDALOUS weekend. I know that me myself could not give an exact direct translation of japanese at-will on-demand BUT regardless I understood 90%-95% of everything that has been said.

The way the girls talked and the event itself was so light-hearted and (kind of) casual (except for the games). Though it was very brief, and you never know how deep (or real) of a connection was made; the connection between all the fans in that room and SCANDAL was to me very real. (cheesy) 

I highly doubt I'll be making a post about my whole SCANDAL FAN MEETING TOUR experience but I close this reply with (an approximation) Rina's words (who is now equally my favorite together with Tomo).

(みんなに), 好きのように生きてほしい... (I want everyone to live the way they want to.)

I won't follow this entirely to heart because I'm just that kind of person to consider other's feelings (and thoughts) as well, but I'm glad because this statement sums up my 初SCANDAL experience. I just went out and did what I want. haha. CHEESY.

Last edited by jephilologist on Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:20 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : too much emojis lol)

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:11 am

dpcarrico

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
fredrickfx wrote:Alright guys, I spent all day writing this post and tried to recount everything I experienced in as much detail as I could so that you could feel like you were in my shoes during the trip.

Frederick, how could you possibly remember all of that stuff in such detail !?!?
Were you keeping a diary ???

Seriously, you and the other Scandal-Heaven members made it a adventure for me I will NEVER forget. I hope we can all do it again someday soon... Japan 2015 ???

"We admire people for there strengths, but we love them for there imperfections."
Workhard Onion Tsundere Onion huh?Maximum-Attention-Deficit-Disorder  Hohoho Onion Bipolar Onion Sigh
Hearing voices in your head is normal. Listening to them, common. Arguing, acceptable. However, when you lose the argument, you're in Trouble. Crap, I lost again...

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:58 am

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
thoseguiltyeyes wrote:
HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo wrote:It's amazing how you all came together and had such a wonderful trip, all thanks to SCANDAL! SCANDAL but also some fans (TGE but also others?) who had to fight to make it happen for international fans. Hopefully international fans will be included right from the start next time.

I handled things after we were finally given the chance to participate in the tour. Before that, when it wasn't open to anyone outside of Japan, a group of my local LA friends and I had to fight to make that chance happen in the first place by visiting H.I.S. locations here and e-mailing all kinds of people and companies.

Hopefully this will never happen again and next time it will be done right from the start for all the fans. I think SCANDAL's staff will not let it happen again and surely things will be different next time they think and plan such a project. In the end it went well, thanks for your work!

Noodles wrote:@Indo Oh sorry, here is the video now made public, Youtube is taking AGES on editing what I wanted to upload so hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to post 2-3 more videos I really wanted to post! 

Heres the video of us at the airport before a huge dissapointment hit us. Just hearing myself say "We'll see how this goes" makes me sad Sad

Why do I have the feeling that next time you guys are going to act like CIA trained special agents and cover all the exits while being all connected to the phone with each other?!  Whistle 

I'm sorry it happened like that and you missed them but at least the rest of the trip was awesome  Love 

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t8777-game-fun-with-scandal
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t10195-game-2048-puzzle-scandal-editions
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Daydreamer P

Caless Student
Caless Student
ALRIGHT!!!!!

The Flying Dutchman going To California, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Who wants to meet up with me?????

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:47 pm

fredrickfx

Caless Student
Caless Student
So, I finally had to to read everyone else's recaps and was able to fill in a lot of the missing gaps in my recollection of the trip! It was also very interesting to read about what other people were doing when we weren't all together.

@kaitanuva: Your post reminded me of many little details I wasn't able to recall! Like the running demonstration on stage, Jade spraining her ankle, the AKB48 precautions, and details on the girls' answers at the fan meeting. There's no way people could read all our entries collectively and miss out on a single moment.

@Racheiru: I lol'd when you said you wanted to watch Tomo National Geographic style! I feel you, I could literally watch Mami paint a room all day and not get bored. I was also impressed with your description of the girls and their Hawaiian outfits! I don't think anyone paid as much attention to that as you so thanks for hawking it! More little details I'm glad to learn about. And I'd be glad to drink flavored beers with you in a couple years! Until then, we'll get you your fruit punches during the next meet ups. ^^

@dpcarrico: Man, I just looked at the photo you took with the girls again and noticed how much you tower over them! They look like their old high school selves when standing next you, haha. And about my entry, I have somewhat of a photographic memory. I even remember conversations I've had with people in elementary school!

@Noodles: I had no idea the cajon was a Peruvian instrument until you pointed it out. If I had known, I would've cheered at you! That's so awesome, I can imagine how stoked you must've been. Rina owning on it is definitely one of the top fondest memories I have of the band over there. Anything that gets my eyes off Mami is something serious.

@Airi-chan: I was the person you forgot to mention at the dinner, lmao. It's all good though! With so many things going on, it's a pain to remember everything. I remember HIS telling us to clap for SCANDAL. Like really? Maybe they should've added that if we stand in the rain we're going to get wet since it's point out the obvious hour. Oh and thanks for uploading those videos! I had to report to my station early and unfortunately wasn't able to see the girls in the beginning but I'm glad I got to see what it was like for you guys! I also haven't even heard "Your Song" yet and am going to proceed to listening to it right after this post.

@macrx78: YEAH! You finally posted them! Sick shots man, I just saved a couple right now. I personally want to thank you for taking on the job of capturing all those moments for us knowing you'd be left out in a lot of them. You're the hero SH deserves, but not the one they need right now. You're not their hero. You're a silent guardian. A watchful photographer. Kudos to anyone who gets that reference. But anyways, pictures are worth a thousand words and the ones you took are definitely a powerhouse in helping everyone either grasp or recall the whole experience. Also, thank you for the Q&A translations! I didn't get much from that MC at all so it was nice to read their actual answers. You are just the gift that keeps on giving aren't you?

To all those who didn't attend and have been keeping up with our posts, thank you. We hope that our concerted effort through posts, pictures, and videos were able to help you at least feel a little of what we did there in Hawaii. I'm sure there are a couple people including our beloved Jade that are also set to post a recap soon so be on the lookout for that! We hope to see everyone from the tour and also those of you who weren't able to make it in the next event (possibly the world tour)!

P.S.
@Daydreamer P: Pieter! I got your LINE message too! I'm totally down to meet up, when are you coming!? More importantly, where are you going to stay? Hopefully me and the others here from SoCal can arrange a gathering while you're down here. What do you say guys?

またねとおおきくてをふって、さよならじゃないことたしかめた。
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:53 pm

Noodles

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Daydreamer P wrote:ALRIGHT!!!!!

The Flying Dutchman going To California, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Who wants to meet up with me?????

For reals!? You should post on the SH USA Thread! I wanna hang out!

@topic 

Im still uploading the videos, I have a video of erichs speech at dinner, a video of Alan's MAMI cosplay and more!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:35 am

thoseguiltyeyes

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)

All right, here's my write-up! I have to split it up into two posts because it's way too long to fit into one, haha. I tried my best to include most of what the band talked about each day we saw them.

Also, I still have to put together a video with clips that I had taken all throughout the trip, which I'm sure will be suuuper long. I'll post it in this topic when it's done.

Again, thanks to everyone who came out and participated in the Fan Meeting! I'm so glad we were able to get a good number of people so that we international fans could take part in it too. If there is a next time, I'm sure that we will be included from the get-go!

Day 1 - May 29th:
Day 1 - May 29th
Erich, Neil, Alan, and I departed LAX around 6:00 pm PDT and arrived in Honolulu around 9:00 pm. As we walked through the airport and took an escalator down to baggage claim, we passed by this big sign saying "Aloha - Welcome to Hawaii." I took a picture of it and later sent it with a tweet to RINA as we were riding on the shuttle to our hotels. I unfortunately used the wrong word in my tweet and deleted it right away, but too bad RINA was faster and replied just as I had deleted it (´;ω;`) At least it's immortalized on her Twitter! haha.

https://twitter.com/scandal_rina/status/472290719097303041

I had said, "We departed LA and arrived in Hawaii! I'm really looking forward to the Ekiden & Music Festival and the Fan Meeting Tour!" RINA replied with, "We'll be there later ☺"

A little after we checked in to our respective places, we headed down to Waikiki Beach to meet up with the other members who had arrived a little earlier than us. We saw that they were setting up the stage for the Music Festival part of the Ekiden and decided to take a picture in front of it:

It was around 11 or so by that time and no other places to eat were open besides bars and McDonald's, so we decided to go to McD's. While we were there we saw that band was at one of the airports in Tokyo and were preparing to leave for Hawaii. We used our ~detective~ skills to deduce which airport and the approximate flight they'd be on. Luckily enough a handful of them were arriving around the same times the next morning, so we all decided to meet at the airport around that time to try and welcome the band like how we did the last time they came to the US three years ago and loved our greeting then (we were featured in RINA's blog entry and mentioned by MAMI during one of the concert MCs).

Day 2 - May 30th:
Day 2 - May 30th
We all met up at the airport around 10:00 am at the international arrivals gate. As I was walking through the airport to get to that gate, I passed by a outdoor section that had an H.I.S. (the company that put together the Fan Meeting) sign in front of it. It didn't occur to me at that time that that might possibly have something to do with the band's arrival, so I just walked on past it to the gate where the other SH members were already waiting at.

While we were waiting there, we made sure to get everything ready. We busted out our amazing banner, got leis and SH shirts ready to hand to the band, and thought of what to say to the band when they came out (we decided on "Aloha, SCANDAL! Hawai e youkoso! [Welcome to Hawaii!]"). We were seriously ready to do this.

Then, about an hour later, we learned that we had apparently missed the band's arrival because we were waiting at the wrong gate. That was SUCH a disappointment! Ugh.

There are two possible exits for international arrivals: the Individual Passenger Exit, and the Group Tour Exit. We were waiting at the former while the band had come out of the latter, which was where the H.I.S. signs I had seen earlier were. Yeah. We were not happy at all, to say the least. We didn't know there were 2 exits when we had first gotten there; we only discovered that when we found out the bad news that we missed the band. I know, we definitely should have been more prepared for this, since we scouted out two possible terminals and most of us needed to run halfway across LAX when we discovered we were at the wrong terminal when they last came here to the US three years ago.

After discovering our miss, some of our members went over to the Group Tour Exit and confirmed with some people there that the band definitely had exited there and were already long gone. Ugh, so disappointing that we weren't able to all welcome the band!

Downtrodden, we all boarded the bus back to Waikiki. While on the way I tweeted all of the members the picture of us with the banner in front of the airport with the message, "We went to the airport to welcome SCA-chan to Hawaii, but we waited at the wrong spot(´;ω;`) At any rate, welcome to Hawaii!"

A few minutes later a reply came from RINA:

https://twitter.com/scandal_rina/status/472496149186633729

She said, "Ah! I wanted to meet you guys☺ Thanks"

After that we were glad that she saw it and knew that we had all gone to welcome the band, even though we had missed them.

A few hours later came a reply from the band Twitter:

https://twitter.com/scandal_band/status/472553798599057408

"What a welcoming! At any rate we have safely arrived."

So, if nothing else, at least they had known that we made the effort to go welcome them!

After we got back to Waikiki, we went out to lunch and then went and did our own things until dinner that night. We had gone to a Korean BBQ place, and apparently I had chosen the absolute wrong spot to sit at because all of these small bugs kept appearing out of nowhere and crawling on the table in front of me. (´Д` ) Ughhh, that was so gross. At first the waitress pretty much just waved it off, but once we decided to keep a tally of all the bugs that were coming out (we would smash them with a napkin and keep it) and then show it to her, she suddenly got freaked out and comped Erich's and my meals. But yeah, that was not a very pleasant experience. -___-

Day 3 - May 31st:
Day 3 - May 31st
The day of the Ekiden Expo! This day would mark the first time that we'd be able to see the band in Hawaii.

The SCANDAL outfit I wore that day was HARU's "Kagen no Tsuki" single cover outfit, but I don't think anyone really noticed haha. I did wear it for half of the previous day to the airport, but, since we weren't able to actually see the band then, I decided to just rewear the outfit this day.

Some of us headed over to the Marriott to check in to the Fan Meeting Tour around when it opened at 10:00 am. As we were almost at the ballroom where the Expo was being held, I missed a step while we were walking down a small flight of stairs (like, there were seriously only 5 steps). So stupid! haha. But yeah, I didn't really tell a lot of people this, but I ended up spraining my ankle from that, which really sucked. I ended up not being able to run in the Ekiden the next day and had to have someone substitute in for me. But I'll get to that later.

We walked into the ballroom and headed for the Fan Meeting Tour desk, where I finally got to meet my H.I.S. Hawaii contact Shirley with whom I had been planning out the details on how people from the US and such could partake in the tour, which had originally just been open to people from Japan. We got our items (Ekiden t-shirt, Priority Pass to the music festival) and found out the details about what events would be happening within the Tour's 3 day span, beginning with the band's appearance at the Expo for a "press conference" around 2:30 pm that same day. All of the acts performing at the Music Festival the next day would be appearing on the stage in the same room, and in front of the stage Erich and I ran into a Japanese SCANDAL fan couple, Nami and Takahiro, we had met the day before. We asked them to hold our spots while we went back and got a few things from our hotel.

The SH members met back up at the Marriott around noon, and we wanted to lay out the banner close by so that fans could sign it. We originally were planning to try and set it up outside of the ballroom, but Erich and I noticed a vacant table inside of the room. I asked Shirley if it'd be all right to set up our banner there, and we got the green light to do so. It was a pretty big hit, with Japanese fans and media crews flocking to us.

I had been behind the table most of the time, giving out the SH shirts to those who ordered them, and apparently a random lady passing by had thought that I was giving out autographs and was about to line up to get one. Tongue

Nusi (AKA Daisuki SCANDAL), the man himself who drew the illustrations for the banner, came signed it as well!

Photo credits to Mark.

When it was time to begin the "press conference" (AKA just the acts coming out on stage so that media crews could take pictures and videos of them), all of us headed over to the stage. Erich, the Japanese couple, and I were in the front row and held our banner:

Soon enough the acts came out on stage one by one. First was Kimaguren, second was SCANDAL, third was MONKEY MAJIK, and fourth was EMKE. Naturally, since half of the room was there for SCANDAL, the loudest cheers were for them. Each act introduced themselves, said a little message, and then exited the stage.

HARU was the one who talked, and she mentioned that it was their first time coming to Hawaii, there were many people there who came from Japan as well as many locals looking forward to their live, and that she hoped that they'd make some wonderful memories together.

After that, we went directly outside of the ballroom to take a group picture together:

Our next event was "banner making" with the band later in the day, so we all did our own things until we had to meet back up in front of the ballroom at 5. They then walked us over to Kapiolani Park a few blocks away, where the Japanese fans already were and most had already signed the banner. I wasn't too fond of how H.I.S. pretty much segregated the two groups of fans, but at least most of us got to hang out together in the end after all the events are done (I'll get to more on that later).

So, yes, "banner making." Basically, they had a white SCANDAL × Honolulu Ekiden & Music banner that all the fans were to leave a "supporting" message on, and then the band would add to it and sign it afterwards.

After everyone had gotten to sign the banner, they had us go around to the front of the table and stand/sit down in front of it. The band showed up about 10 minutes later and started signing/writing on the banner. They took about 10 minutes to do so while occasionally making small talk with the fans. It was a bit awkward to just stand there and watch them sign the banner, honestly lol.

HARU and RINA did make an effort to try talking with the non-Japanese fans. I forgot exactly what they had said, but they made a comment about how we (SH) had new t-shirts. That day most people in our group were wearing the gray shirts we had made, so that's the one they were commenting on. Neil said that he had the purple shirt in his backpack and I told him that he should show it to them. He did, and RINA saw it and said, "Sugoi ne!"

We also noticed that MAMI had Shawn Kemp (a former NBA player) socks on haha. Needless to say, at least one MAMI fan purchased those socks afterwards.

When the band was done signing the banner, they held it up to show everyone and HARU asked if there were any people running in the Ekiden the next day. Those who were raised their hands, and she basically told everyone to do their best and that they support them.

After that, we all walked about 100 feet or so away from the tent to take a group picture with Diamond Head in the background. The staff asked for shorter people and/or girls to be in front. At 5'7" I'm not exactly what you would consider short for a girl, but one of my Japanese friends pulled me to her and we ended up being in the very front directly next to TOMO.

From RINA's blog entry:

http://ameblo.jp/scandalblog-4/entry-11867957624.html

Translation:

"A joining of fans who came from Japan and overseas fans! Yay

Thank you. An awesome energy and love.
Best regards tomorrow too!
Do a lot of talking and become good friends☺︎"

When we had finished taking the picture and the girls were walking away, our group suddenly busted out singing the "Happy Birthday Song" to TOMO. She got all surprised and happy, and after the song finished HARU pushed her towards us. She kept smiling and laughing behind her hands for a few seconds before saying, "Arigatou. Ashita, ganbarou ne! (Thank you. Let's do our best tomorrow, okay!)" while balling her fists up and holding them up to her face (like this. After that, the band got into a shuttle and left the park.

Our group dispersed when everything there was done until our official SH meet-up later that night around 7 pm.

Erich and I stopped by Sam and Jerry's room at the Marriott to drop off the CANTA head to pick up the next day for the Ekiden. As we were waiting for an elevator on the first floor, one of the elevator doors opened and out came SCANDAL directly in front of us! We were a bit surprised, said hi, and waved at them. RINA was like, "Oh!" and they all said hi and waved back to us. We had just seen them in the park only 10-15 minutes before that, so it felt awkward to say anything else to them, really. They went on their own way and we went on ours.

The SH meet-up was at Tsukiji, a Japanese buffet restaurant at Ala Moana Center. It was kind of a nightmare trying to figure out the bill at the end since they told us the max number of ways they could split the bill up was 4, but eventually, after half an hour, we finally got everything straightened out. lol that was such a pain.

After dinner, we passed out the SH t-shirts to those who hadn't gotten them yet (and apologies to those who couldn't get theirs due to a mistake with the printing company!) and collected fan letters for the Fan Letter Project.

I also told my Ekiden team (SCANDAL HEAVEN USA - Erich, Neil, Alan, Sam, Robert) that I couldn't run in the race anymore due to my sprained, swollen ankle. It didn't feel that bad up until the banner making event in the park; we were constantly squatting and sitting on the ground, which aggravated my ankle even more. It was pretty stupid that I had been training with my team since last year to run it, only for my clumsy self to miss a step and sprain my ankle the day before. haha. Luckily, Freddy agreed to take my place, so thanks again for doing that, Freddy!

Last edited by thoseguiltyeyes on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total

2016.01.13 PERFECT WORLD
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:35 am

thoseguiltyeyes

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)

Day 4 - June 1st:
Day 4 - June 1st
Finally, the day of the Honolulu Ekiden & Music Festival!

Since opening ceremonies were to begin at 4:20 am and the race at 5:30 am, Erich and I got up ridiculously early at 3:30 am to get ready and head down to the start of the race with the rest of our team. Our team's costume theme was, of course, SCANDAL outfits! Erich had on his CANTA head + HARU's summer live outfit from last year, Alan had on MAMI's "Runners high" outfit (complete with a blonde wig that he ran his entire leg in!), Robert had on an outfit from the "Taiyou to Kimi ga Egaku STORY" PV (the one where they're wearing a white button-up shirt, black tank, and a red+white+blue tie), Sam had on a Dobondobondo outfit, Neil had his Doraemon head and RINA drumstick arms, and I had on HARU's "Taiyou Scandalous" outfit. I'm really sad we didn't actually take a picture all together like that, though!

Our team's designated legs were (if I remember correctly):

Leg 1 (3.3 miles) - Erich
Leg 2 (5.6 miles) - Neil
Leg 3 (3.9 miles) - Robert
Leg 4 (3.9 miles) - Sam
Leg 5 (5.6 miles) - Alan
Leg 6 (3.9 miles) - Freddy

We headed to the stage in the park and stood around there until it was time to start the race. SCANDAL was to be at the start of the race around the starting line, and as soon as we got there we saw Eisuke. I immediately followed him and ended up seeing SCANDAL in front of the inflatable start line arch with Kimaguren and MONKEY MAJIK. They were all huddled in a circle at first. When they broke, SCANDAL had the white banner that we had all signed the day before and posed for pictures for a minute or two.

They exited the start line section right where I was to move further down so that they could cheer on the runners, and I said hi and started waving to them. MAMI was up in front; she spotted me in my TaiScan outfit, pointed, and said, "Sugoiiii!" RINA was next and said, "Kawaiiiii!" pretty loudly, haha. HARU, I think, said, "Sugoi! Kawaii!" Finally, TOMO said, "Waaah!" and waved to me. That was pretty cool (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))

A screenshot (I'll include the entire clip in my recap video) of RINA and HARU looking and smiling at me:

I followed a bit behind them and stood nearby while they waited for the race to start. Meanwhile, pretty much everyone else in our SH group there at the time had stayed on the other side and were all directly in front of the band and taking pictures.

Since I was originally going to start the race off but of course couldn't do it anymore, we had decided for Erich to take my place as the starter. That worked out pretty well since the band got to witness Erich in his CANTA head run by them. They all were surprised and waved and smiled at him as he passed by!

Erich is that giant white shape to the left of TOMO's head haha. He couldn't see well peripherally and therefore had to rely on Hubert to tell him what was going on, and he let him know that the band loved seeing CANTA running in the race.

There was no way Erich could run his entire leg with the head on, so he dropped it off further down by a telephone booth and we picked it up to bring back with us.

When our group met back up, the runners took buses to their respective legs while the rest of us decided to head to IHOP for breakfast.

After breakfast, we headed to the stage and got there around 9 am to stake out spots--even though we technically weren't supposed to line up until 3:45. We were the first and only ones there to line up that early, of course, since everyone else listened and didn't line up until around 3:45 haha.

Since we had about 6 hours to kill, Erich and I went a little further down the beach (around the part where these pictures of RINA were taken) to take a picture of my TaiScan outfit to tweet to RINA. I tweeted it to her and said, "Taiyou Scandalous cosplay on Waikiki Beach☆" About 15 minutes later came a reply from RINA, saying, "That's really goodー! I also thought that it resembled ours when we met earlier, and that you were cute!"

https://twitter.com/scandal_rina/status/473211802231128065

いえーい☺︎

Our 2 running teams, SCANDAL HEAVEN USA and Runners high, had finished around 11 and a few of us stayed to save our spot on the beach while the others went to go get the last runners. Lale also took a nap while waiting haha:

Around 11:30, RINA had tweeted that they'd be starting their rehearsals. Since there was no one on stage but their roadies, we thought at first that RINA might have meant that they'd be doing rehearsals elsewhere in a different location. Then, at about noon, one of the Ekiden staff members came up to us and told us that the band was about to go on stage to do their rehearsals. We could watch from the barricades at the back of the viewing area if we didn't make too much noise.

Their staff soundchecking:

We got into position at the barricades and the band soon came out on stage. They tested out their instruments first. RINA was done early so she went to the front of the stage and stood there watching for a bit and then leaned against the barricades for a few minutes. TOMO joined her a few minutes later. She was wearing high-heeled platform sandals and was walking carefully across the sand to their photographer. HARU was done next, and she sat down on stage for a minute or two and had her legs hanging off the front of it. TOMO began using their photographer's SLR to take pictures of the stage, and at one point she pointed it in our direction and possibly took a picture of us haha.

Next, they started soundchecking "DOLL" until the end of the first chorus. A few minutes later they picked it back up and soundchecked the rest of "DOLL." Next, they did "Runners high" all the way through. Shortly after that they finished their soundcheck and waved to us as they exited the stage.

We continued to just hang out by the entrance and didn't do much until around 3:15 or so, when this older Japanese lady decided to put a blanket on the sand and tried to line up for the concert. I refused to let this lady to go in before us, especially since some of us had been waiting for 6 hours at that point, so I and a few others started to inch closer. A staff member did come around to tell us to not line up until 3:45, so I made sure that he let that lady know as well. He told her and she got up and moved away. Success!

We casually made our way back to the entrance around 3:30. They tried to scare us off a bit by saying that the concert would be canceled if one person came down with heat stroke. It didn't phase us since we had bottles of water, so we remained standing right where we were.

I was determined to be the first one in and the first one to the barricades right in the middle, directly in front of where HARU would be. I was the first one in line, and they let us in in a two person line and really made sure we didn't all rush and run to the stage; they basically formed a human chain around us to hold us all in formation. Luckily, everyone cooperated and I was the first one to the barricade!

My awesome view from the front row, dead center:

The event started around 4:30. The two radio DJs that were acting as the MCs were pretty bad. Well, the Japanese DJ was decent, but the other DJ was annoying. He was obsessed with the word "selfie" and would tell all of the winners of the Ekiden to take a selfie. Just shut up, dude. Tongue

The opening act EMKE was good, and their "Shunkan Sentimental" cover was good as well. MONKEY MAJIK was good, though I have to admit that I thought that most of their songs sounded the same. Nevertheless, they were pretty cool!

Finally, it was time for SCANDAL. RINA came out on stage a few minutes before to check the drums and make sure everything was in place to her liking and then ran back off. I couldn't see too much of what was happening backstage from where I was, but I did see MAMI and TOMO doing stretches and goofing off, and I also saw them do their customary circle huddle too.

Around 7 pm they came out on stage to "Tomorrow Never Knows" by The Beatles. As everyone probably already knows by now, this was their set list:

01. Satisfaction
02. Taiyou to Kimi ga Egaku STORY
03. Runners high
04. Awanai Tsumori no, Genki de ne
05. Departure
06. LOVE SURVIVE
07. DOLL

Their set was awesome as always. I thought all of the songs they played were good choices, except for "Satisfaction." I'm disappointed that they went with that one. Personally, I think it's just an all right song that's nothing that special, and they should have started it off instead with something like "SCANDAL BABY." I think that would have been a much better opening.

I'm also surprised that they didn't try doing their MCs more in English; 99% of what HARU said was in Japanese. The last time they were here in the US all of the members made a complete effort of speaking mainly in English during their MCs. I also remember them mentioning in blog entries and interviews that they'd want to speak English during the MCs (RINA said in an interview for a Hawaiian magazine, "Since we'll finally be able to meet our fans who have been waiting in Hawaii, we'd like to talk with them while conversing in English"). lol so much for that, I suppose?

Anyway, this is what HARU said during the MCs:

"[translated from Japanese] Aloha, we are SCANDAL! Are you guys enjoying Hawaii? The scenery is the best! This atmosphere is the best! And, you guys are the best! [spoken in English] Okay, please enjoy our show. [translated from Japanese]Let's have fun!"

"[translated from Japanese]Thank you for inviting us to Honolulu Ekiden & Music Festival 2014! Those of you who ran in the Ekiden in the early morning, good work! Everyone running with smiles on were really wonderful and really cool. It makes us really happy that people from Japan and people from the US can be connected by Japanese music and create a wonderful atmosphere together. Although we don't have long on stage, let's have fun, okay! Let's keep things going. I think everyone can make even more noise!"

At the end of their set the DJs came back out and the band put down their instruments and RINA came out from behind her drum set. They stood there for a few seconds while the DJs tried giving super brief background info about the band. Suddenly, HARU decided that that was enough time; she waved, said "Bye bye!" and walked off stage abruptly while the rest of the band stayed to at least bow and wave to the crowd haha.

Most of us moved out of our spots to give to the Kimaguren fans. Erich, Mark, Matt, and I sat down a little farther back and rested for a little bit.

Kimaguren put on a good set! They had just a little too much crowd participation going on, though; pretty much more than half of every song was them trying to get the crowd to do something like wave their hands or say something. That was a bit superfluous, imo lol.

While they were on stage TOMO came out by us on the left side to watch their set and RINA came out and joined her a little after that. They really got into the set and were having a good time.

As soon as Kimaguren's set was over Erich and I headed straight back to hotel to get some much needed sleep.

Day 5 - June 2nd:
Day 5 - June 2nd
The long-awaited and well-fought-for day of the Fan Meeting event!

Around 10 am Erich, Jerry, Sam, and I went to Ala Moana to eat and shop around a bit. At one of the stores I randomly came across the same Stussy shirt that HARU just so happened to be wearing that day and took it as a sign that I should buy it. So I did. haha.

After that, Jerry let us borrow his rental car and Erich and I drove to the Dole Plantation and Laniakea Beach, AKA "Turtle Beach," on the North Shore about an hour away. We saw something cute at Dole that MAMI would probably like because it resembles Funassyi and decided we had to get it for her as a present.

Since Funassyi (ふなっしー) is a pear and this one is a pineapple, we named it "Pinassyi" (ぴなっしー)!

It was around 2 at that time and we knew we had to be back by 4:30 to meet up at the Marriott to be taken to the "secret location" of the Fan Meeting. Turtle Beach was thankfully only 10 minutes away from Dole, so we drove there, visited the beach for 5 minutes, and had to quickly hurry back to Honolulu.

Oh, and Turtle Beach is aptly named so because there are giant green sea turtles just chilling along the shore:

We finally got back to Honolulu in the nick of time around 4:05. Erich dropped me off at our hotel so that I could change into my "Taiyou to Kimi ga Egaku STORY" outfit while he parked the car at the Marriott. I changed in about 5 minutes, grabbed all of our gifts to the band, and pretty much ran to the Marriott (luckily only 2 blocks away).

Mostly everyone else was there by that time. Shirley found me right away, checked me in, and gave me 2 index cards for myself and Erich to write questions to ask to SCANDAL. I still had to finish putting together the Fan Letter Project so I couldn't really focus on what question to ask. Right as we were about to board the bus I just wrote down "What do you guys think when overseas fans cosplay?" which didn't end up getting selected.

As we were boarding the bus Shirley all gave us an envelope that contained the results of where we'd be sitting for that evening. Erich and I were pretty much the only ones that were going to take a picture together so in our envelope were two pieces of paper with seat locations. We got 3-G and 3-H.

Oh, and here's the Fan Letter Project. It turned out awesome, if I do say so myself. I dropped in into the gift box along with the SH shirts and Pinassyi.

We soon arrived at the venue and waited around on the bus for a little bit. The Japanese fans were let in first and we were let in second. They checked our bags briefly to make sure we didn't have anything dangerous on us and got into a line to get handshakes and a lei from SCANDAL.

Erich and I were the last ones to go up and greet them. Erich was second to last and I was the last. Since I was wearing my TaiKimi outfit, some of the comments I got from the band were, "Kawaii ishou! (cute outfit!)," "Kawaiiii!", and "Natsukashiiii! (How nostalgic!)." I didn't really have anything to say to them besides "Arigatou!" and "America ni itte arigatou gozaimasu! (Thanks for coming to the US again!)" though I remember I had gotten tongue-tied and said it pretty clumsily haha. RINA was at the end and giving people leis, and she said, "Ah, kyou wa TaiKimi nan ya ne! Ii neー. (Ah, today's outfit is TaiKimi! That's greatー.)" and gave me a pink lei.

Once we got inside we headed to table 3, which was the first table on the right! Our tablemates were Lale, Rachel, Mark, Jesus, Don, Fred, and one more person I can't recall (sorry!). We were basically in the front row on MAMI's side.

Shortly after we all got settled in, a J-Pop radio station DJ came out and was to be the MC of the night. She also tried attempting to translate things that the band was saying, but it didn't really work out too well.

Anyway, the band came out and each member said a comment. I'm paraphrasing these a bit (but I'll try to do better than the DJ), but this is what they basically said:

HARU: "Aloha! There are people who came all the way from Japan and people who came all across the US, and we'd like to make our time here together a very deep and wonderful one. There's food in the back, so relax and take it easy!"

TOMO: "Thank you for coming here today! We're in Hawaii, and we'd like to make this a relaxed time for everyone here. Best regards!"

MAMI: "Aloha! Thank you for coming! This is SCANDAL's first time in Hawaii and we'd like to make some wonderful memories together with everyone, so let's all enjoy Hawaii! Best regards!"

RINA: "Aloha! Here in Hawaii we wanted to do an event unlike any we've done in Japan and we thought up of something special. It's important that music can connect people, and I want all of you guys to become friends! Best regards until the end!"

Then, it was time to do a toast. The juices the place had were either guava or orange juice. Maybe they weren't sure they had a decision or not, but RINA said, "I'll have orange juice!" Then she was like, "Water! Water's fine!" and then said orange juice again. haha. Guava juice would have been the better decision, though. So 4 glasses of orange juice were brought up to the stage and HARU made a toast: "Let's spend a long time together today! Kanpai!"

The members exited the stage while the rest of us had dinner.

The buffet of Hawaiian food:

Some time during the meal, most of the SH members who have known each other since the last time SCANDAL came to the US 3 years ago (and a few new ones we've only just met) went outside to take a picture in front of the banner we signed with SCANDAL:

The staff soon shooed us away, saying that the event was going to start back up soon, so we went back inside and took our seats. I think the only thing they started doing was playing the recording that the band did with the DJ who was MCing the event.

The band came back out when the recording was done, this time with leis around their necks, flowers in their hair, and dressed in Hawaiian print muumuus. TOMO was wearing a white one, HARU was wearing a melon one, RINA was wearing a black one, and MAMI was wearing a light blue one.

They began talking about things like:

-Where they bought their muumuus
-What sightseeing they did (went to Boots & Kimo's to eat)
-They went to the beach
-The fans respected their privacy

The results of the Ekiden teams who were part of the Fan Meeting were announced as well. The 3 teams from Japan did pretty well. Then, the DJ was like, "I'm sure this team ran in order to meet SCANDAL. So, here is a team with a...great accomplishment. It was 144th place out of 162 teams: SCANDAL HEAVEN USA!"

As she announced the team name, HARU began laughing and all of them started clapping, putting their hands in the air, and saying "Yay!" Mark picked up Erich's CANTA head next to him and began waving it around in the air, garnering a point and a smile from TOMO. The DJ then read the team's total time (4:56:00) and the band said, "Sugoi!" The DJ mentioned how hot it was, and TOMO was like, "Yeah, he ran with the CANTA head on! I'm glad you lived." hahaha.

It's too bad that they didn't talk about Team Runners High, but since you guys signed up the day before the race they unfortunately probably forgot that you were also part of the Fan Meeting group.

RINA then began talking about SH. She said how it was made by a gathering of international fans, how it's like their foreign fan club, and how we're really excellentー.

They then talked about the live the day before on the beach. HARU said how getting to play a live while the sun was setting and the sky was getting dark was really awesome, and the natural lighting was good too. MAMI said how they've played lives on the beaches in Japan before, but the one in Hawaii was completely different. The DJ said their performance was powerful, which led to the question, "What's the reason for the powerfulness of each member?" AKA "Where does your power come from?"

TOMO: "Everyone." *everyone claps and cheers*
HARU: "Food." *everyone laughs and claps* (she also mentions meat)
RINA: "Everyone's voices and seeing the 3 members as I'm sitting on my drum chair are a great source of energy for me."
MAMI: "The members and everyone powers me up."

Next was the Q&A corner. Mark already posted it a few posts up and it's pretty good (though the first question was actually "At what age do you plan on getting married?"). There were originally supposed to be 5 questions, but only 4 were read. Eisuke decided that it was taking up too much time and had the DJ cut the last question out.

To add to RINA's answer about why she likes the beach, it's because she can swim and the scenery is beautiful. And to add to HARU's, she likes summer to begin with, and you can feel more life in waves than in snow.

Next was the game corner! Two tables would make up a member's team, and it was basically charades where we would have to have our respective member correctly guess what a Hawaiian word meant. The winning team would receive signed radio station bumper stickers. Tables 2+3 were Team TOMOMI, tables 1+6 were Team HARUNA, tables 4+5 were Team RINA, and tables 7+8 were Team MAMI.

The first word up was "wahine" (girl). I'm not sure if they had English and Japanese definitions next to it at the time, but I'm guessing they didn't lol. I knew it meant girl so I was looking at TOMO and pointing to myself haha. I think Mark thought it meant "to swim" so he was doing swimming strokes. TOMO must have seen that because her hand shot up and she said "Haiiiii! Oyogu (to swim)!" haha nope! HARU and MAMI answered but said the wrong ones until RINA said "Josei (girl)." One of the Team TOMOMI players shouted, "Timo, ganbatte!" and she said, "Ganbaru!" while bouncing up and down.

Score:
Team RINA - 1 point

The second word was "makai" (ocean). We tried acting that out by moving our hands straight across to act as the beach and making wave motions with our hands. All of the members seemed to know the answer because all of them were like "Haiiiii!" It had to be settled with jan-ken-pon (rock-paper-scissors). It took 9 rounds before TOMO and MAMI tied, and only one round after that for TOMO to win! Unfortunately, she answered again with "Oyogu!" haha we all were like "Nooooo!" and she was like "Ehhhh?! That's wrong?!" A few tries later she answered again with "Ukiwa (flotation ring)!" and then "Shima (island)!" lol still no! HARU finally got it when she answered "Umi (ocean)!" The rest didn't hear her answer, so she repeated it to them and they were like "Ehhhh?!" TOMO was like "Ehhh, no way! That jan-ken match meant nothing!"

Score:
Team RINA - 1 point
Team HARUNA - 1 point

The third word was "hale" (house). We tried pointing our hands upwards together to simulate the roof of a house. TOMO's hand shot up right away and she said "Haiiii! Yama (mountain)!" Nope. RINA answered next, saying, "Hai hai hai! Ie (house)!" Correct~

Score:
Team RINA - 2 points
Team HARUNA - 1 point

The fourth word was "lealea" (fun). We were going crazy, putting our hands up, and trying to act like we were having the time of our lives. It must have worked because TOMO's hand shot up right away and she said "Haiiii! Tanoshii (fun)!" Correct!! Our tables started to cheer and TOMO looked really surprised and was like "Wahh!!" The DJ asked how she knew that, and TOMO said it was because we looked like we were having a lot of fun. hahah. Glad we were able to correctly convey that!

Score:
Team RINA - 2 points
Team HARUNA - 1 point
Team TOMOMI - 1 point

The fifth and final word was "Waikiki" (spouting water). This question was worth 100 points, meaning that every team had a chance to win, so we had to make sure to get this one! We tried to make spouting water gestures with our hands but TOMO wasn't really getting it at first lol. Then, she suddenly said, "Haiiii! Yashi no ki (palm tree)!" Nope! None of the members were really understanding it so the DJ said that just guessing "wai" (water) would be good enough. A few seconds later TOMO raised her hand again and said "Haiii! Wakimizu (spring water, which basically means the same thing as spouting water)!" 正解!! YES!! TOMO got all happy, screamed, and jumped up and down haha. Our tables busted out chanting "Timo! Timo! Timo!" while TOMO danced around a bit on stage. She said "I'm glad I got the right answer!" Shortly thereafter Team TOMOMI was given the autographed bumper stickers as our prize.

Some people are saying that Team RINA was cheated a bit, but hey, TOMO really deserved those 100 points after correctly guessing that crazy word!

Score:
Team TOMOMI - 101 points
Team RINA - 2 points
Team HARUNA - 1 point

Team TOMOMI 完勝!!

The next up was their acoustic live. Their instruments were brought out and RINA talked a bit about how she would be playing the cajon live for the first time, and how she practiced on it in order to use it at this live.

Set list:

01. Uchiagehanabi
02. Hikare
03. Departure

"Uchiagehanabi" sounded great live. HARU forgot to sing a few words in the part after the first chorus, and missed saying "Kono mune no" in the line "Kono mune no takanari." After the song HARU commented on how this is a summer-like song, and RINA commented on how she was happy she was able to experience summer in Hawaii before summer in Japan, and how they were glad to have played this song in Hawaii.

Next up was "Hikare." Until TOMO began singing I wasn't completely sure what song it was, haha. It was interesting to see it performed in a different way from how they performed it in the US three years ago at AM2, back when the "LOVE SURVIVE" single wasn't even out yet and it was a brand new song--I think that was only the third time they had played it live. After the song RINA commented on how it had been a while since they played it live, but they really wanted to play it there no matter what, how it was written by them, and how she's been loving the song especially as of lately. MAMI then said how powerful of a song it is. HARU asked the audience how it was, and we all broke out into applause. She further talked about how sitting down and doing a performance like this felt fresh.

The last song was "Departure." Before the song started HARU said that she hoped we would all see each other again at a live somewhere. HARU started off the song singing the entire song and playing the guitar alone, with the rest of the members joining in after the end of the first chorus.

When it was over, the band said their closing comments:

HARU: "Thank you so much to everyone for coming out today. We are so happy that people came from all kinds of places--from far away, came from across the US, took a plane to get here, and spent their time and money coming here to be with us! We'll never forget the time we spent together with everyone here. We'll do our best again from tomorrow, and I hope everyone does the same whether it's for work, or their studies, or such. Thank you so much!"

RINA: (I can't hear her part well, so I'll just write down what I can hear) "This was kind of like a party, wasn't it? I truly want you to live your life the way you want to. Thank you so much for liking SCANDAL!"

MAMI: "We've made the best memories in Hawaii with you guys who came here to see us! Thank you so much!"

TOMO: "Next time we hope to spend a longer time with you guys, so I want everyone to wait until then. Everyone who came from Japan, thank you so much!"

Lastly, it was time for pictures with the band! We went in order of the tables and seat numbers. The first tables to go up, tables 1 & 2, consisted of fans from Japan. Our table 3 was the first table comprised of SH members. Lale was 3-A and the first person to go, so we all cheered and clapped for him when he went up!

I honestly don't remember much when it was Erich's and my turn haha. I do remember you guys cheering and clapping again, so thanks, guys! I think we all said "Aloha!" to each other when we got to them, and since we had to squeeze in between RINA and HARU for both of us to fit, I was basically right against HARU. haha I hope she didn't mind! They took the first picture, and we were about to leave when the staff told us to wait to take a second picture. I'm glad they took 2 because the second one was better.

haha I look like a giant next to them.

As we were leaving I couldn't really think of anything else to say but "Los Angeles ni kite kudasai! (Please come to LA!)" HARU and TOMO both said, "Hai!" so hopefully they'll come here next! haha. We said "Mata ne" to them and left the stage, though I did forget to turn back around to say bye to RINA and MAMI. lol nooo

We got our stuff from the table and went outside to the gift box to get out the Fan Letter Project to add a Polaroid that a Japanese fan had taken of us to our letter. After that we headed back on to the bus where everyone was talking about what just happened and showing each other their pictures with the band.

When mostly everyone was on bus, the band's photographer came on board to take a picture of us. Shortly after that someone from H.I.S. also came to take a picture of us, and then handed out denim bags with "SCANDAL" printed on a Hawaiian-themed background. I don't know why they took so long to give them to us when the Japanese fans got them in Japan before they even left for Hawaii.

The bag, our pictures, and autographed stickers:

As we were on our way back Erich began talking and everyone demanded a speech from him haha. The clip will be included in the giant video. Lale also did a little speech thanking the ones who helped make this happen, and Glenn also did a little speech as well to thank me. Thanks, guysー (´;ω;`)

Once we got back to the Marriott we immediately planned an after party. haha. It was to be at 9 pm at the 3rd floor bar of the hotel, and some Japanese fans were expected to join us as well!

Erich and I headed up to Jerry and Sam's room to chill and relax for a bit. MAMI had just tweeted about the "meat & greet party" and Erich said that I should reply and correct her haha. I did, saying, "「meat」 means 「niku (meat)」, you know haha. The Fan Meeting Tour was so much fun! Please come back to the US again!"

A few minutes later MAMI replied:

https://twitter.com/scandal_mami/status/473717720962187264

haha she said, "Gyaー! I'm sorryー! haha. It's MEET. Of course!! Wait for us, okay!"

We had to go to pick up the beach chairs, umbrellas, and mats that we had left at Glenn's hotel across the street the day before, so Jerry let us borrow his rental car to pick them up and take them back to our hotel where we had rented the stuff from.

As we rode the elevator down, the elevator stopped two floors down from us. The doors opened and who should we see but MAMI? haha so crazy! When she saw us, she was like, "Oh!" and we waved to each other. She came into elevator and rode it down with us. Erich was holding his CANTA head and she patted it lol. I also thanked her for replying to my tweet a few minutes before. We had to go the second floor to go to the garage while she was going down to the ground floor, so when it was our turn to get off we said "Mata ne!" and waved bye to her.

We then picked up Glenn, went to his hotel, got our stuff, dropped off our stuff, and then went back to the Marriott. We were about an hour late to the party--fashionably late. haha. The party was already pretty crazy; I think there were about 40 people there, with a combo of Japanese fans and us. One of the Japanese fans, Yuki, was pretty drunk. He's a HARU fan and was trying to round up other HARU fans, so at one point he got me and Mark together with him and he started singing the "Na na na" opening part of "Taiyou Scandalous" haha. One of the other Japanese fans said my outfit looked like an AKB48 one. lol noooo way. Yuki, a few other Japanese fans, and I had to correct him and tell him that it was SCANDAL's TaiKimi outfit! haha geez, that guy needs to learn his stuff.

Eddie had gotten quite drunk at that point and kept calling me and shouting "Daigo member!" AKA the fifth member of SCANDAL, in front of the Japanese fans like Yuki. Being pretty drunk himself he joined in and starting shouting the same thing lol.

The party was pretty awesome. The bar closed at 11, though, and it took us around half an hour to get the bill sorted out. When that was done we headed downstairs. I was towards the back of the group so when we got to the first floor I didn't really notice anything was going on until I saw Yuki holding and bouncing someone who looked like Eisuke! That's when I saw SCANDAL standing around looking surprised and laughing and I realized that it was in fact Eisuke. He was totally acting nonchalant when he was being bounced around; he had a neutral, unamused expression on his face and would just occasionally push up the sunglasses he was wearing. The band seemed amused by it so Eisuke seemed okay with everything haha. After he was bounced around, he went and high-fived RINA, for some reason lol. We waved and said bye to the band and headed outside. An odd, yet amusing way to see the band off.

We stopped a little outside of the hotel and started talking about what just happened. We were all pretty confused, to say the least. haha. After that, the people who were left decided to chill on the beach while Erich and I decided to call it a night since we needed to repack our stuff and had a flight to catch the next morning.

Day 6 - June 3rd:
Day 6 - June 3rd
The flight Erich, Neil, Alan, and I were supposed to take was to depart at 12:20 pm, but around 9 am we received news that our flight would be delayed until 4 pm. Then until 9:45 pm. Then, finally, until 12:45 am! That was good, though; it meant that we had an extra day there!

Since we had to check out by 10, we stored our luggage downstairs and went over to Neil, Alan, Lale, Freddy, Matt, and Eddie's place a few blocks away. One of the Japanese fans, Takahiro, was hanging out with them there.

lol the cabinet door was broken:

We hung out at the hotel for a bit until it was time for Freddy to catch his flight. After we dropped him off at the bus station we walked to DFS Galleria since Takahiro wanted to get some souvenirs there. When we were done there we headed to 88Tees. I saw the backpack that RINA had bought there and considered getting it until I discovered it was pretty expensive for a backpack. Tongue

We headed back to the hotel so that everyone could get their stuff and get checked out. It was Matt's turn to leave, so we dropped him off at the bus station and then headed to Eddie's new hotel room to store our stuff.

By then it was time for Takahiro to get back to his hotel to go with the rest of the group to the airport. The hotel happened to be right across from the hotel Neil and the others had stayed at, and there we saw most of the Japanese fans that we had befriended. I'm glad we got to see them off!

We headed to Ala Moana, ate, and took a picture in front of Bubba Gump's, ala SCANDAL style:

With Eddie:

We headed back, and while we were walking around a shopping center by the hotel I happened to catch sight of a muumuu with the same print as HARU's in a display window:

I checked the shop out and found the muumuus that the other members wore, but not HARU's in the same design. It's all right, though; they were all around $90 or so. (゜◇゜)

Finally, it was time for us to (finally) leave Hawaii.

This trip really was so much fun. Again, I'm so glad we were able to take part in the all of the events, and I'm glad I got to meet all of you guys!

Last edited by thoseguiltyeyes on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:31 am; edited 2 times in total

2016.01.13 PERFECT WORLD
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:41 am

macrx78

Caless Student
Caless Student
fredrickfx wrote:You're the hero SH deserves, but not the one they need right now. You're not their hero. You're a silent guardian. 

YES! So much win!

@Fredrickfx no problem! An artist never include themselves in their own art work
 Nerd  
Well even at the event I noticed the MC cutting corners on the translation so I figured to try and go back to translate to see what I missed. 

The entries have also helped me fill in gaps of my own in my personal journal. However I will not post mine unfortunately. I feel like all points were covered adequately. 

@Jephilogist haha alright got that reedited! but yeah I feel ya on the translation. They did speak very fast at times and I do have trouble understanding people who speak Japanese too fast.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:07 am

macdyne73

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Thank you very much for all the stories people. I have been swamped with work all this past month and reading all this makes daily life a little bit easier.

And to those who went and saw SCANDAL live for the very first time, congratulations! You have joined the fortunate few who have experienced the indescribable magic!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:17 am

macrx78

Caless Student
Caless Student
@Thoseguiltyeyes Wow! Just read your personal entry! Now I need to revise my journal for some stuff I missed! Thanks a lot!
In my opinion though I thought Kimaguren having their audience participate was awesome! I love bands like that. I even found myself jumping up and down with random Japanese fans! haha. Man I forgot how good they were. 
And must you remind me how I made poor Tomo guess "oyogu"? I felt soooo bad! But it made sense in my head... I mean we were surrounded by beaches. 
Shy

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:28 am

Noodles

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Guys, from now on it is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN to take ANY KIND OF PICTURE OR VIDEO of me sleeping.

@Jade I hadnt realized how many RT and replies you get form SCANDAL, that is awesome! Great recap of events as well!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:33 am

thoseguiltyeyes

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
@Mark: I agree that Kimaguren having their audience participate was awesome, but I think they had them participate just a little too much! And yes, I totally remember you joining the Japanese fans, taking off your shirt, and jumping up and down with them. And don't worry about the TOMO oyogu thing; we ended up winning anyway!

@Lale: hahaha sorry about that Tongue I can take down that picture of you, if you'd like lol

2016.01.13 PERFECT WORLD
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:03 am

Noodles

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
thoseguiltyeyes wrote:@Mark: I agree that Kimaguren having their audience participate was awesome, but I think they had them participate just a little too much! And yes, I totally remember you joining the Japanese fans, taking off your shirt, and jumping up and down with them. And don't worry about the TOMO oyogu thing; we ended up winning anyway!

@Lale: hahaha sorry about that :PI can take down that picture of you, if you'd like lol

Hahaha, thats just a joke Tongue

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:14 am

kaitanuva

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
@Jade: Thanks for the translations on what we missed! 

Also now it makes sense why nobody said anything when I asked how'd you sprain your ankle when we were carrying stuff hahaha

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:35 am

Daydreamer P

Caless Student
Caless Student
Thnx Noodles,

I look forward in seeing you, fred, Jade,Hubert...whoever comes more, again haha
I will be in California from the 17th to 21th maybe longer.
I will also post a message on the SH USA thread.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:00 am

fredrickfx

Caless Student
Caless Student
Jade! Loved your write up. Just when I thought there was nothing else that could possibly be covered, you covered more. I'm glad you touched up on the translations too. I felt like I missed out a little at the fan meeting cause the MC was a whack translator and no one really went into detail about what Haru said at the concert so thanks! Pinnasyi was adorable, I hope the girls mention something about our gifts and fan letters later. Speaking of which, thanks for also posting the fan letters! I was really curious to see what other people did too. Oh and about Runner's High. We'll go with a dark knight theme too and say we ran for them without requiring acknowledgement, haha. And I don't think that happened because we signed up the day before. I feel like it's either one or both of two things. One, all the teams mentioned had SCANDAL in their names. Two, there was another team called Runner's Hi that had nothing to do with the band. If they were the ones who messed up our chance to be called we're gonna..

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:25 am

Noodles

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

Here is another video from the trip, quite the speech I would say.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:28 am

fredrickfx

Caless Student
Caless Student
Nice, I saw you with your phone while Erich was making the speech and was wondering where the footage or pictures of it were in your post but here it is! Hubert looks like he's waiting for him to wrap it up so he can eat, lmao.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:29 pm

MICHIO87

Caless Student
Caless Student
Whoa...I just finished reading everyone's accounts of the trip.
I want to thank everyone for sharing their individual experiences.  Since I was only able to attend the live on Sunday, reading all of the accounts made me feel like I was right there for everything.  Still a kinda jealous though....w

It's surreal seeing SCANDAL in places I'm so familiar with....Especially, Boots & Kimo's.  I've been wanted to try there for a while.  Plus, it's somewhat near my house so....→ Σ(゚Д゚; )
Yeah, pretty much my reaction when I found out.

Ah, I remember seeing a couple of Yuyan's posts on twitter, and I have to say he's pretty awesome.

Hearing how the fan meeting went was awesome.  (At least you guys didn't get eaten at the "Meat & Greet"....w) I wish I had know ablout it opening up to overseas fans earlier.  Unfortunately, I found out too late. (By twitter, I believe.  I think it was a fan from Seattle.) Since I read somewhere that they might want to hold another one someday, I wonder what kind of games they would try.  For some reason, I kind of want to see some sort of karaoke taikai (battle) or something, similar to the J-MELO fan meetings....Ah, sorry!  Rambling a bit....

Anyway, if Mami and Tomomi make good on their word to try to run the ekiden in the future, and members want to participate again, I really suggest that you do a little training at least.  As some of you already found out, the Hawaii sun and humidity can be dangerous.  I'm surprised you guys did well, despite some runners not training much. 

Ah, one last thing.  I heard the ekiden interview on the radio this morning.  I was a bit surprised that Rina wanted to try Hawaiian style pancakes here too.  So far, I've only heard Haruna talk about them.  I'm glad Haruna likes malasadas.  I wonder if she got any while she was here....I've got some recommendations she should try next time.

Back to top Go down