Message reputation : 100% (7 votes)

Yay translated interviews section~! 

~Index~:
01. 1st Single「DOLL」2008 November
02. 2nd Single「Sakura Goodbye」2009 March
03. 3rd Single「Shoujo S」2009 July
04. 4th Single「Yumemiru Tsubasa」2009 October
05. 1st Album『BEST★SCANDAL』2009 November
06. 5th Single「Shunkan Sentimental」 2010 February (misprinted as 2009 in photos)
07. 6th Single「Taiyou to Kimi ga Egaku Story」2010 June
08. 7th Single「Namida no Regret」& 2nd Album『TEMPTATION BOX』2010 August
09. 8th Single「SCANDAL Nanka Buttobase」2010 October
10. Cover Album 『R-GIRL's ROCK !』 2010 December
11. 9th Single「Pride」2011 February
12. 10th Single「Haruka」2011 May (misprinted as February in photos) 
13. 11th Single「LOVE SURVIVE」 & 3rd Album 『BABY ACTION』 2011 August

Items in bold were editions of CD & DL Data where SCANDAL was featured on the cover; the August 2011 edition was not a cover feature, but had a significant interview. These will most likely come last.

This may be slightly anti-climactic but my return to form is apparently going to be the GIRLS BE SCANDALOUS book. I'm getting through the interview archive section a bit faster than the long interviews at the front of the book so I'll post them at a later date when I have more material. XD For now, enjoy this flashback and some absolutely amazing lines from MAMI which shows off all of her infinite wisdom as an 18 year old, and her former belief that you can say what ever you want at an interview.

1st Single 「DOLL」Interview Date 2008 November

Photo Archives 01

“When we formed, everyone was still a student, and after school we would go to band practice just wearing our school uniforms. So when we were deciding on our outfits for street lives, our conversation turned to “wouldn’t it be more like us to perform in uniforms like we normally do?” We all went to different schools so we bought matching uniforms. These uniforms were made by a certain brand that was famous for ‘school fashion’ and we all paid for them ourselves (laughs). It was hard to find four matching outfits in all of our sizes.” (TOMOMI)

Interview Archives 01
What we have now is a sisterhood...:

Girls’ Garage Band Gives Powerful Performance!
「DOLL」Single Release

Cute but not sweet. They’re not sexy(?) but they pack a punch. With their emotional & handsome performance, this girls’ garage band travelled to America, France and Hong Kong over spring and summer for culture festivals. It’s SCANDAL’s Major Debut!

「We prefer cool performances more than being seen as cute. The arrangement came naturally and it just kind of took off. Even if people tell us we perform like girls, we tune them out.」 (TOMOMI)

「To begin with, in terms our personalities, we’re all sporty types. 」(HARUNA)

The four of them met two years ago at Osaka’s Vocal and Dance School, where they would「occasionally play with instruments.」(MAMI)

「At first we didn’t intend to form a girl band. But, if we didn’t stay together on the weekends, maybe we wouldn’t have become as close. What we have now is a sisterhood, and it’s all because we’ve seen each other naked (laughs)」(MAMI)

Their debut single, 「DOLL」is a thrilling rock number, that doesn’t sugar coat their true feelings as high school girls.

「TOMO wrote the lyrics for us, but we’re all still high school students so we always get things like, “Don’t dye your hair!” We wanted to say things about this, and fight back, and there are a lot of things we could sympathise with. 」(MAMI)

「Those are our lyrics, but I believe our sound is a combination of all of SCANDAL’s elements. We don’t have a lot of performing experience (laughs) but our current sound is packed full of things only we can do.  」(RINA)

「Please sing along with us and cut loose!」(HARUNA)

... They also didn't have a lot of interview experience. XD

Last edited by TanyaLilac on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:23 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding links, several times.)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Read (pre-debut) SCANDAL blog translations at Scandal Baby on Wordpress or Livejournal

Translations on SCANDAL HEAVEN:
SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
GIRLS BE SCANDALOUS Artist Book: Long Interview | Photo Archives & Interview Archives
BABY ACTION Magazine Edition: Album Interview | SCANDAL Girl's Love Talk & Conversation
Back to top Go down

Re: GIRLS BE SCANDALOUS Interview Archives
Posted on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:49 pm

M

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Arigato for the translations  Praise

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:57 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Youngg and no expereince for interviews makes it funny and cool  Nice One 

What we have now is a sisterhood, and it’s all because we’ve seen each other naked (laughs)

=O  OMG 

but we’re all still high school students so we always get things like, “Don’t dye your hair!”

lol this is funny nowadays... right MAMI-san?  Common 

Thanks TanyaLilac

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t8777-game-fun-with-scandal
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t10195-game-2048-puzzle-scandal-editions
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:00 pm

Mitchan

International Performer
International Performer
http://www.wattpad.com/user/MitchanAnni
"That we have now is a sisterhood, and it’s all because we’ve seen each other naked (laughs)" -WUT?! WTF! 

Thank you for translations Praise

Tears of Joy 
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:19 am

npvGuy

Caless Student
Caless Student
lolol sisterhood through nudity :D

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:34 pm

Crei

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
thanks. Happy

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:47 pm

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://scandalbaby.wordpress.com
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

2nd Single 「SAKURA Goodbye」Interview Date 2009 March

Photo Archive 02
For our debut single, we had all gone out to buy our own outfits, but it was around this time, we decided to ask for professional costumers. They took our measurements, and made our jackets from scratch. Meanwhile, we gave input like, “maybe it would look better with the trimming”. The skirts were store bought. It seemed like we were smaller than costumer had expected, so when we went for a fitting, they put heaps and heaps of safety pins on the back of our jackets (laughs). When we went to get changed out of them, we all got stuck because of the pins. (RINA)

Interview Archives 02

"That's what 'hello goodbye' means..." - TOMOMI:

After we part ways, there are also new encounters! This is Hello and Goodbye!
「SAKURA Goodbye」Single release

Powerful and headstrong girls band SCANDAL’s second single, 「Sakura Goodbye」 is a bittersweet graduation song1. With two of the members graduating from high school this spring, the song is filled with realistic descriptions and emotions.

「Ever since we formed, we’ve been playing this at live performances, and on our America tour, this was our last song. So, this song means a lot to all of us. We’re just about to graduate this spring, so if we wanted to release it, we thought that now was the only time to do it!」(MAMI)

「SCANDAL has a lot of songs that make your head spin (laughs) but this song is one of the listenable ones. We’ve renewed the musical arrangement. Previously, even we didn’t really understand the characteristics of a band, but we’re slowly becoming able to see it. So now we can add a more ‘rock’ feeling to the original version of this song. 」(RINA)

In the midst of the many delicate and emotional ‘sakura songs’, the poignant way in which they sing, ‘In the middle of the wind in a storm of flower petals2 is fitting indeed.

「At the beginning, the lyrics were all sad, but we changed it and made them stronger to suit the new arrangement. Even after we part ways, there are new encounters. That’s what “hello goodbye” means. We’re right about to graduate, and it’s really lonely, but while writing the lyrics of this song, even I felt uplifted. 」(TOMOMI)

「We were quite particular about this song, during performances and as a song in itself. I think it’s become the kind of song that allows you to feel the strength that comes after such sadness, and so I would be happy if we can convey this to people who listen to this song, including people about to graduate.」(HARUNA)

Even for adults who are long past their graduation3, this is a heartfelt rock number. Don’t think of them as just ‘unrefined’ – discover their charm4.

And notes, because odd Japanese is odd. 
1.       lit. ‘is a graduation song that looks positively at loss/sadness’
2.       The first line of the second chorus. Credit: mc~
3.       lit. ‘are not connected to graduations’
4.       lit. ‘I want you to feel their charm’. O_O

And yes, I had to look up Sakura Goodbye's lyrics for the first time ever.

Last edited by TanyaLilac on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Read (pre-debut) SCANDAL blog translations at Scandal Baby on Wordpress or Livejournal

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
GIRLS BE SCANDALOUS Artist Book: Long Interview | Photo Archives & Interview Archives
BABY ACTION Magazine Edition: Album Interview | SCANDAL Girl's Love Talk & Conversation
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:27 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
TanyaLilac wrote:
Photo Archive 02
For our debut single, we had all gone out to buy our own outfits, but it was around this time, we decided to ask for professional costumers. They took our measurements, and made our jackets from scratch. Meanwhile, we gave input like, “maybe it would look better with the trimming”. The skirts were store bought. It seemed like we were smaller than costumer had expected, so when we went for a fitting, they put heaps and heaps of safety pins on the back of our jackets (laughs). When we went to get changed out of them, we all got stuck because of the pins. (RINA)

lol that anecdote, real pro costumers yes yes ^^

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t8777-game-fun-with-scandal
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t10195-game-2048-puzzle-scandal-editions
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:41 pm

kakotov

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://Youtube.com/kakotov
thank you very much 

makes this material very well read in history

@kakotov
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:52 pm

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo wrote:
TanyaLilac wrote:
Photo Archive 02

lol that anecdote, real pro costumers yes yes ^^

She might be exaggerating - I know someone who makes clothing for a living in a similar way and there's always a bit of pinning and adjustments to be done at fittings etc; no one gets a perfect fit the first time around, especially for a jacket, because you need to make allowances for what goes under the jacket. (But then they probably realised that it was okay for the blazer to be more fitted)

... But safety pins? Really?!

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:16 pm

M

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Don't know if this is OT or not but i'm just curious-
Tomomi and Mami were 16 that time, right? And that's for their high school graduation.
So does that mean Haruna was already starting college that time (or supposed to, but did not because of the band)?
(Got pretty confused with their system.)

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:04 pm

bad-apple

International Performer
International Performer
^ Tomo and Mami were 18 at that time. Students usually graduate HS at the age of 18 in Japan, I believe. And as for Haru, afaik, didn't enter college, and that goes to all of the the members to let them concentrate on the band

"For us, the band is more like "life" to us than it is a "job." We're wonderful friends who are sharing life that only happens once." -Rina
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:08 pm

M

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Ah so they were 18 that time o-o
I see. Thanks ^^

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Rafaelo

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
thanks for sharing
all this interview with everyone

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:10 pm

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)

3rd Single 「Shoujo S」Interview Date 2009 July

Photo Archive 03

Up until this point, we had worn actual uniforms, but they became a bit more stylish. On top of this, the colour of everyone’s ties was different; we started having subtle variations in everyone’s accessories. I feel like we thought, “Ah, we’ve become able to do cool things, hey?” as our spirits increased a lot. I was quite pleased with this outfit. (HARUNA)

Interview Archives 02

"We're playing in the rain so I guess the highlight would be ..." -RINA:
Shout what you really feel in front of your boyfriend!!
「Shoujo S」Single release

A garage band that’s an explosion of girl power – SCANDAL – has released their third single, 「Shoujo S」. With strong lyrics, helped along by its slightly bluesy sound, it’s a downright feisty rock number.

「I think there are a lot of girls who can’t say what they really feel to the person that they’re dating. But, like in the lyrics, “I hate it when you’re not here”1, or, “Do you really need me to be with you?”2, at these times you would say what you wanted to say the most, but I thought, if you could put what you really felt in a song, wouldn’t you be able to shout it at someone? If you sang it in front of your boyfriend, I think you’d feel better.」 (TOMOMI)

For research, they asked their male staff about hurtful things women had said to them (laughs). Despite only writing it down, it’s outstandingly sharp.

「The arrangement and the lyrics came together at the same time, so the emotions are also embedded in this song. When we perform it, we feel refreshed. I want people to feel its hype.」(MAMI)

「We wrote this while we were on our end of year training camp. We were in an environment where we were forced to face our music, but at the same time, we had just formed as a band and the four of us were writing songs together. So, this sound we made helps us to remember our original intent. I think it’s a song that really fits us.」(RINA)

It’s being used as the opening theme for the anime, 「BLEACH」, but the topic also turned to comedy duo Shinagawa Shoki’s Shinagawa Hiroshi. This was the first PV he had directed.

「I was talking about how I had been impressed by the film 『Drop』(2009, directed by Shinagawa Hiroshi), and I was surprised because I didn’t think it would actually happen. While we were filming, we all meshed well together.」(HARUNA)

「We’re playing in the rain, so the I guess the highlight is everyone’s makeup coming off (laughs). Please take a look!」(RINA)

1.       Lyrics of the song – あなたがいないとイヤだ
2.       A normal question – ほんまは私がいないとアカンのやろ?

Last edited by TanyaLilac on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:17 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Training camp?! WTF! They sure had to work hard ^^ i know it's not a real training camp but hard to not imagine them like in a military camp where they have to run and do push-ups, etc =P

Ah Shoujo S, such an important song in their career! Love

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:02 am

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo wrote:Training camp?! WTF! They sure had to work hard ^^ i know it's not a real training camp but hard to not imagine them like in a military camp where they have to run and do push-ups, etc =P

Ah Shoujo S, such an important song in their career! Love

By training camp, there is some footage out there of them driving out to Isu or somewhere to a studio to do some recording. I think it might have been on the Sakura Goodbye DVD but I have no idea. I have a distinct memory of them being excited to have yakiniku at some point with the production staff...

Onwards!

4th Single 「Yumemiru Tsubasa」Interview Date 2009 October

Photo Archive 04

This is the same outfit we used for BEST★SCANDAL. If I think about it, everyone still had black hair and we still had a matching theme. Only our ties were different, I guess. And we did our first one man live in this outfit. It was winter so I remember we thought we’d be fine, but of course, it turned out to be way too hot. (MAMI)

Interview Archive 04

Wouldn't you say you need a bit of courage to talk about your dreams? - MAMI:

A message that says, ‘If you have a dream, you can discover your courage.’

「Yumemiru Tsubasa」Single release

With their previous work 「ShoujoS」 ranking 6th in the charts, and a television performance in the “rain”, SCANDAL has everyone talking. Continuing with their fourth single, which is a “renewal cover” of 80’s band, Hillbilly Bops’「Yumemuru Koro wo Sugitemo」, it’s a surprising work.

「We’re starting to work on our album but, before that, we wanted to express how we felt about everything, from our formation up until the present. When we were thinking about a song that could express how we felt, we came up with doing this cover.」(HARUNA)

「In any case, the melody was simple so we felt it was more important to choose words that would convey how we felt. It’s not like the songs we’ve been doing up until now, where we could clearly come across with a strong message, we wanted it to be the kind of song that grows on you the more you listen to it. 」(TOMOMI)

You’ll know what the sentimental, original song is from the title, but this is 「Yumemiru Tsubasa」, arranged in SCANDAL style.

「Wouldn’t you say you need a bit of courage to talk about your ‘dreams’? But, with the four of us singing together, I guess you can say that it’s the kind of courage that strengthens your heart. That’s what I also want people to hear in this song.」(MAMI)

「For the past three years, it’s because we’ve had dreams, dreams that have spurred us on from the start that we’ve been able to get this far. Because we are holding on to our dream, we were able to realise our own courage – and I believe this is precisely why we are able to express this message.」(RINA)

This is a medium number that gives you the courage to feel like, with the beat of large, outstretched wings, you can soar as high as you want. It seems as if they’ve touched upon whole new aspect of their charm.

Last edited by TanyaLilac on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:24 pm

sillentdx

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
TanyaLilac wrote:
By training camp, there is some footage out there of them driving out to Isu or somewhere to a studio to do some recording. I think it might have been on the Sakura Goodbye DVD but I have no idea. I have a distinct memory of them being excited to have yakiniku at some point with the production staff...

Training camp = Kitty's IZU STUDIO in Itō (and yes it's on the SG DVD)

BTW, Tanya thx for the translate, you're awesome!

最高の夜にしようね!!
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:20 am

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

1st Album『BEST★SCANDAL』Interview Date 2009 November

Photo Archive 05
In the beginning, we all had the same straight, long black hair – to the point where people would often tell us, “I can’t tell you apart” (laughs). Eventually we started wanting to express our own individuality. For this outfit, we discussed things with our stylist and made some modifications. The red chequered skirt is quite uniform-ish, and it has a bit of spirit to it. It’s one of the things I’ve liked quite a lot. (TOMOMI)

Interview Archive 05
"The four of us have written various songs, but that is the running theme." - RINA:

We want to show the power of Girls Bands!
「BEST★SCANDAL」Album release

The fruit of their sweat and tears; they’ve finally completed their first album!! With all 13 tracks overflowing with their unrefined rock band sound, it’s thanks to this they can express their unrestrained power.

Influenced by popular anime, there’s something like a band boom between these girls right now. Maybe each of them is playing a part in SCANDAL. Their first album, 「BEST★SCANDAL」is packed full of the “fruit of their sweat and tears” from the last three years, ever since they first picked up their instruments.

「I felt this when we were making the album, but it felt good to give it everything we had. Working song by song was really challenging, but it was because we kept going without giving up that we were able to savour this incredible feeling of accomplishment.  」(HARUNA)

「When we were making this album, our key phrase was ‘Let’s do our best!’ And we just took the album title from those words (laughs). I think it’s become the kind of album where, from now on, if anything happens, we can listen to it again and go back to basics. 」(TOMOMI)

It’s been one year since their major debut. As for the high energy content of this album, it’s been influenced heavily by the things they’ve experienced at a number of live performances and events.

「At first, when it came to choosing songs for set lists, we went with our instincts, like ‘This one is the best for the opening song!’ but within that, we’ve gradually become more conscious of how concerts work.  」(MAMI)

「Like thinking, ‘It would be cool if we could play this part of this song in this way.’」(HARUNA)

「That’s why recording was fun. When we play, everyone becomes naturally high and our mood just goes through the roof. There are times where we just get too carried away and die, though. (laughs)」(RINA)

Nonetheless, in order to overthrow this unrefined garage band image they’ve maintained up until now, they have composed some longing ballads.

「This was our first ballad so our first concern was the best way to approach the song’s emotional expression. But, when we added the lyrics for the song, I almost cried … the vocals are quite expressive (lit. tremble or quaver) so I definitely want people to give it a listen.」(TOMOMI)

RINA wrote the lyrics for this song, 「Kimi to Yoru to Namida」, and the last phrase is, 「I love you, goodbye」. This phrase is symbolic of the ‘strong girl’ image; a common theme in all their songs.

「The four of us have written various songs, but that is the running theme. Full throttle girl power (laughs).  That’s what we wanted to express through this album; we’re a girls’ band so all the more reason for this power, right? 」(RINA)

「At the beginning, the four of us just enjoyed hitting the right notes, but now we’ve been able to think about things like, “what about if we tried this here?” So it’s become even more fun. It’s definitely the kind of enjoyment you can’t experience alone, so I can hope that we can express that. 」(MAMI)  

This album reverberates, exhilarating the hearts of girls everywhere. Perhaps the number of girls wanting to start a band will increase.

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:42 am

bad-apple

International Performer
International Performer
「I think there are a lot of girls who can’t say what they really feel to the person that they’re dating. But, if you could put what you really felt in a song, wouldn’t you be able to shout it at someone? If you sang it in front of your boyfriend, I think you’d feel better.」 (TOMOMI)
>Haha good one,Tomo!

For research, they asked their male staff about hurtful things women had said to them.
>lols

"For us, the band is more like "life" to us than it is a "job." We're wonderful friends who are sharing life that only happens once." -Rina
Back to top Go down