TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://scandalbaby.wordpress.com
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (6 votes)

Well, I'm back in another thread? XD First comes HARU-nee's.

Part One: HARUNA

No, I think I want to be nervous about it (laughs).:

Firstly, now that you’ve finished your first tour in Asia, I’d like to hear about your impressions.

With everything that’s happened since SCANDAL formed five years ago, I think this has been a very important tour for us. I’m not sure what the others think, but this is how I feel. I didn’t have any expectations before we left Japan, about would become of us. As opposed to thinking, “I wonder what’s going happen?”, I just thought, “I just have to do my best!” and the tour had started. But, I got more out of it than I had expected.

You mean, in terms of reactions from the fans over there?

Of course there was that, but also because amongst the members, there was this amazing atmosphere. It was a tour that enabled us to really believe, “being in a band is so much fun”. I guess it’s a big deal because I gave myself a lot of leeway. Ah, I guess it’s more that I was taking it easy as opposed to giving myself space. I didn’t panic or agonise over a lot of things, so for me, it was a huge improvement.

When you say that you were able to take it easy, do you think it’s a question of accumulating experience?

Maybe? I guess that’s part of it, but when we went on the ‘Dreamer’ tour before this one; I learned to just enjoy concerts. I had been feeling weighed down lot of responsibilities up until then.

On top of vocals, you’re also responsible for leading the MC, right?

Yes, that’s it. Thinking things like, “I definitely have to say this!” and the fact that I’m responsible for deciding a lot of things on the spur of the moment, it used to be overwhelming. But them around May or June, that feeling disappeared and I became able to naturally say what I wanted. I was really happy, realising that I was able to find this side of myself. So, since I was able to honestly say things as I felt them in each moment, a lot of that stress went away. When the other members told me, “That MC was really good!” I grew more confident.

So relaxing and enjoying yourself became more important?

Yes, I had a lot of fun. About a week before we went on the Asia tour, I had more opportunities to talk with the other members, and I think we probably all had the same outlook. Perhaps that was also a significant factor. I was relieved when I saw that whatever I said would be okay, and realised that it was actually pretty easy.

Moving on, when you said earlier “this tour is important to us”, what was the reason behind that?

Yeah. We were glad we were able to finish our BABY ACTION tour around Japan. I realised once again that concerts aren’t just about simply giving a ‘cool performance’. Because, every day, everyone is definitely growing and developing, even if it’s just a little bit. Concerts aren’t a place you go to show people that, but we wanted to say something important with all of our tours. You have to seriously think about where you are.

You had a lot of things to think about, then. Well, how was Asia outside of your concerts?

We’ve been out in the cities quite a lot. In the band, we believe Asian food is our strong point, so I was able to enjoy myself. The most delicious thing was Singapore’s [Hainan] chicken rice! It was so amazing, I was surprised. Actually, last year when we came to Singapore, I didn’t find anything especially tasty, so I didn’t have any expectations, but this totally made up for it (laughs). But it was a long trip, but the tour went by quickly as well. When we came back to Japan, I thought, “Ah, it smells like Japan!”

(Laughs) Well, before you had time to catch your breath, the Hall tour started.

(At the time of the interview) We haven’t started rehearsals yet, but we’ve changed the set list quite a lot. It’s already been three or four times.

Even though rehearsals haven’t started? What happened, for you to make these changes? For example, choosing more impressive songs to get everyone fired up, or something?

I think it has something to do with the previous “Dreamer” tour. It had only been a short time since the earthquake, and the content of the set lists just changed naturally to reflect that. That time is over now, and we want to create a visually appealing concert. The kind of concert where people often tell us, “You put on a good show.” Also, we’re looking to see how the BABY ACTION album changes in a live show. When we were going around Asia, there were quite a lot of things that differed from our expectations.  We realised things like, “So this is the atmosphere when we play this song here”. Our Asia tour was one that helped us realise the strength of our songs, kind of like “Was this song always this good?” or “It’s really impressive when we play it like this”. We made a number of discoveries, so we want to take advantage of them.

And after this, you have your Budokan concert.

I think it’s quite a big opportunity to be given in any lifetime! I’m nervous but I’m also really looking forward to it. Actually, I really like performing on large stages.

Really? Why is that?

I wonder... I think the other members have different opinions about this but I’ve felt this way for a long time. I guess … maybe it’s because on a wider stage, you can focus completely on what you want to show people without caring about the finer details! And then there’s also the fact that you can directly communicate to people who are far away in the audience. On a bigger stage, your own emotions become stronger, I think.

Well, it seems like you’d want to relax in that case.

No, I think I want to be nervous about it (laughs). It’s become a precious day for me.

I look forward to it! Well, now I’d like to talk about what’s in store for SCANDAL from now on. After this, what direction do you intend to head towards?

I think we all agree on this, but I want to stick to doing cool things. Lately we keep talking about we are happiest when we are making music and doing things that we think are cool. In terms of direction, previously, we used to be quite vague about it. We had a period where it was like, “seems like things could be worse so we’ll just do our best for now!” but we began to realise that this wasn’t the right way to do things. In any case, we’re a band so it’s a waste if we don’t do things that we think are cool.

So you all agree on what you think is ‘cool’?

Obviously there’s the rock-esque sound, I think it’s just that part.

When you look from the side, lately, the four of you have quite a ‘rock-esque’ presence.

Really? I think everyone is clearly showing their determination. It’s a kind of strength of will that comes from thinking, ‘Everything will be fine if we don’t falter.’

But, didn’t you have that determination before?

Yeah … if I think that we have it now, I guess we didn’t have it before? If I’m honest about things that people have told me. Ah, people are still honest now (laughs), but it’s because, in the past, in terms recording and performing live, there were more things that we didn’t know [as opposed to things we did know]. When people told me about things that they found different to their expectations, I would think, “Ah, so there are people with these kinds of opinions as well,” and I took everything into consideration. But now, when I think about it, there are moments where I realise, “Isn’t that completely wrong?” So from now on, we want to be firm on what we believe in and communicate our purpose. If you’re doing something because you enjoy it, but there’s no actual determination behind it, there’s nothing real about anything you say. Perhaps I wouldn’t even express it to people who listened to us or came to see us. I’m not talking about the MCs we do at concerts, but I’ve come to realise the truth of how, if we’re not truthful, we can’t express things properly. Maybe things will be different from next year. I don’t think that much will have changed on the outside, but I just want to be able to be in an environment where we will be able to improve.

Upon hearing this, wouldn’t you say SCANDAL as a band is in quite a good condition?

I think it’s in a very good state. Right now, our aims are actually becoming one and we are all looking to move forward in the same direction.

This is a really good thing to hear.

Ah, but when we’re not talking, we actually don’t talk at all. When we’re driving in transit, there are times when no one says anything (laughs). But it becomes quite atmospheric and it’s completely unconscious. Probably a large part of it is knowing that we can talk about good things and bad things. We can properly ask each other, “Why do you feel or think this way?” In the past, we didn’t know if it was okay to ask for more. But, if you can’t get to the heart of things like this, you can’t work as a band.

Ah, I see. SCANDAL was everyone’s first band, wasn’t it?

Yes, it is (laughs). We formed five years ago, and since then I’ve finally come to understand what a band is. I’m not really an outgoing person. I like listening to other people’s stories, but I’m bad at talking about myself. I used to think it was best to talk as little as possible about things that didn’t need to be shared. But, somehow, that time has passed. We came together as a band, and finally we’ve become a cohesive group. I feel like anything can happen. A lot of things have contributed to the circumstances we’re in, and I finally feel like we’re about to start moving. Maybe our next chapter is really about to begin.

A personal reflection of sorts:
Somehow, reading about how she can't relax and only in 2011 was starting to let go of what sounds like this anxiety and pressure that she put on herself, and felt like was being put on her ... it's kind of sad, in a way. She's brought this up in previous interviews about how she couldn't relax because she always felt like people were scrutinising her.

I read in the Temptation Book briefly that MAMI doesn't like to stand on her own - but HARU-nee had no choice, not by cultural standards as the oldest in the group, nor as band leader. I'm just glad she's reached this point now where she has much more self-confidence. This was an interesting and poignant interview; it was difficult to translate some of the things when she started talking about 意志/'will' but definitely worth it.

Part Two: MAMI
Part Three: TOMOMI
Part Four: RINA

Last edited by TanyaLilac on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding links, several times.)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Read (pre-debut) SCANDAL blog translations at Scandal Baby on Wordpress or Livejournal

Translations on SCANDAL HEAVEN:
SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
GIRLS BE SCANDALOUS Artist Book: Long Interview | Photo Archives & Interview Archives
BABY ACTION Magazine Edition: Album Interview | SCANDAL Girl's Love Talk & Conversation
Back to top Go down

Crei

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
oh! that was fast! thanks again!

yes! its time to learn something new about my favorite vocalist~ (+_+)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

nice you've included your thoughts and stuff! 

yeah.. HARU have gone through a LOT. she has to take responsibility in almost every aspect. not everyone can do that. and i admire her for that. a strong girl and can stand on her own. <3

Last edited by Crei on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited after reading~)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Back to top Go down

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Thanks.

Funny to read about Budokan now that they have done many arenas ^_^

Yeah it's kind of sad when she was not relaxed, she was having a difficult time sometimes. Being the oldest, main vocalist she had the biggest pressure and people were looking to her the most. But we know now how things turned out Happy I think many HARU (and SCANDAL) fans love HARU because of that part.

And now she is "The Boss" =P

Also seems that despite spending a LOT of time together they still needed a few years to really feel comfortable as a "real" band.

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t8777-game-fun-with-scandal
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t10195-game-2048-puzzle-scandal-editions
Back to top Go down

bad-apple

International Performer
International Performer
thanks for the translation! 
reading through this, I can imagine the pressure Haru was having. I noticed this about her years ago and during those times there were people criticising her and also bc of her voice, I guess; and so no wonder why during QaT days I see her more confident because she has overcome those hardships. I salute you Haru! and she looks so matured too being able to realize the key factor of a strong bond

sharing and trust are essential to a healthy bond and we can see that genuine closeness they have through their actions on/off camera. 

she's deep.

"For us, the band is more like "life" to us than it is a "job." We're wonderful friends who are sharing life that only happens once." -Rina
Back to top Go down

Mamitasu~!
Posted on Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:21 am

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

Part Two: MAMI
It's even gotten to the point where a cameraman has said...:
Did you have fun, on the Asia Tour?

Yes. It was the first time we’d been to Taiwan, and while we’ve had experience performing in Singapore and Hong Kong, it was our first time going as a solo act. More importantly, it was our first overseas tour, so we were worried about whether or not people would actually come to see us, so I was really moved when so many people came. It’s not like the usual promotional trips we do in Japan whenever we release singles; it’s only once a year, so for people to say that they like us this much, I’m very grateful.

How did the concerts feel?

The venues were more like halls as opposed to live houses. In Singapore, the place where we played had an orchestra pit. So when the crowd surged forward, we got really psyched up and the air con was on full blast on the other side. During the concert, the air con was turned up really high on stage and in the crowd stalls but at the end of the show when we were shaking hands, everyone was seriously so sweaty – I was surprised (laughs). Getting sweaty like that got us fired up. But, from start to finish, everyone sang along with us in Japanese. It’s still a mystery whether or not they knew what it meant, but someone was singing alone without really caring, which was funny (laughs). The atmosphere was one where we could all enjoy ourselves together, and that made me happy.

That’s quite a refreshing reaction (laughs). How did the four of you cope, mentally?

Before a concert, we used to have to get together at someone’s place and discuss things so it was challenging. But while on our Asia tour, one of our themes was to “move on” without getting caught up on things. If we look back at our past selves, as SCANDAL, we didn’t think about our mistakes, even if we made them on stage. To the point where a cameraman has said, “Is it really okay for this band to be making these kinds of mistakes, and still be having this much fun?” (laughs) But, at that time, we felt strongly about what we were doing. It just kind of felt like, “Go for it!” When we watched footage of our old concerts, even to us, it looked like we were just moving around onstage like we were being pulled. But, eventually, we thought it was fine to keep things that way. On the Asia tour, we just acted how we wanted to, and between us we impressed each other with our performances.

Were you actually impressed?

Definitely. Seeing the three of them beside me, performing differently than usual, it was like, “TOMO, meccha kakkoii jan!” (“TOMO, that was freaking awesome!”). And so because of that, I often got hyped up.

So what did you do in your spare time?

RINA and I shared a room at the hotel, the both of us did nothing but sleep (laughs). We didn’t actually have days off but in our free time, we went out and about, or went shopping. The local staff also showed us around, and took us to places to eat – not fancy restaurants but local street stalls. I thought, ‘well, even if my stomach bursts, it’ll still be something to remember’ (laughs). I also had this karaage (fried chicken) dish, called ‘Dancing Chicken’. They used mayonnaise, chilli sauce and bonito flakes as sauce and toppings, and it was four times bigger than the karaage they sell in Japan. Even though I couldn’t finish it all, it was delicious.

What was the best thing you ate?

What was it? Ah, the 豆花 (douhua – a sweet tofu pudding or dessert) I had in Taiwan! It’s a dessert, like an anmitsuwith tofu in it, but it was also good with tapioca and nata de coco (coconut jelly). Speaking of tofu, in Taiwan, there are shops that sell 臭豆腐 (stinky tofu) everywhere, and the smell just cannot be put into words (laughs). Even if you just came close to a shop, it seemed like the smell clung to you so we went back to the hotel and immediately washed our clothes. Also, in the hawker centres in Singapore, the seafood places smelled amazing… I really enjoyed myself.

(Laughs) Well, after receiving an intense dose of Asian Power, you got straight back in with the Hall tour starting in Autumn.

Yes, we did. Everyone’s seated at halls, but I wondered if the space between them would be filled with music. After, I realised that different stages have different atmospheres, but I didn’t want to do the same kinds of concerts we’ve been doing up until now.
(T/N: Basically she’s talking about the difference between doing intimate shows at a live house as opposed to a bigger show at a hall, in terms of performance and how to entertain a larger crowd where the atmosphere is different because everyone’s sitting and not moshing together XD).

In what sense?

In terms of our consciousness. Up until now, when we’ve released an album, and then I thought it was okay if we played the songs from the album together and hype them up. From my perspective, it was enough to create an atmosphere where everyone could enjoy themselves. But I remembered what we had done during the Asia tour, and obviously the atmosphere is significant, but even more important is how we created the atmosphere and made it our own. So we can showcase the album, but that’s not the only thing I want to do with concerts.

So you mean, you want the songs to reach the audience, so that its impact won’t fade?

If it’s possible, yes. From the audience’s position, they’ve come to see SCANDAL, but I think we actually need to be more assertive in entertaining them. This is our longest tour to date, and we’re going to places we haven’t been before – I want to do a show that will impress people (lit. ‘make them say ‘ooh!’). Especially since people have started asking us if we really play our own instruments again.

People are still saying that?

I expect it’s because of the dancing. I guess these people are thinking, ‘Concerts have always been like X or Y’, and they would rather see people dance somewhere else. Also, in terms of the audiences who have wanted to join in, I feel like there’s a conscious effort on their part to help SCANDAL grow at concerts. But it’s not about “growth” in the sense of improvement, but I want it to be more like, “I like their music, so I want to go see them live when they come.”

What was the cause of this step up?

Because I thought that things couldn’t just keep continuing as they were. Around the time the “Dreamer” tour ended, we started recording BABY ACTION. Our third album’s tracks span a range of genres, but if you compare it to our first two albums, I think that this range has been constricted. What we want to do has become clearer, and so it became a work that allowed us to develop as musicians. So I want SCANDAL’s music to reach people who have held a poor impression of us up until now. I want them to come to our concerts as well.

Basically it’s not just about people coming because just they like the band’s individual characters or appearance, but because you want people to like your music for its own sake at concerts.

Yes, the purest part of it. I have to admit that there have people who have come to see us because of the appeal of our outfits or because of our looks but I want them to understand that that’s not the only reason to see us perform!

Next year’s Budokan concert is also approaching, isn’t it?

That’s right. Budokan … I can’t imagine it. I have a bad habit of always looking at things too objectively, but I often envision the four of us performing onstage. But when it comes to Budokan, I can’t even imagine anything.

Does Budokan have any special significance for you?

Of course I’ve thought that it would be nice to perform there, but when we formed as a band, our sights were set on Osaka-jou Hall so I guess Budokan fell short. So it’s kind of been like, “Ah, right, I forgot about Budokan!” (laughs) [T/N: lit. ‘There was Budokan!’] Like we’ve fulfilled our dream of touring in Asia, we’ve reached this dream of performing at Budokan. We’re accomplishing things one at a time so I think it’s been good that we’ve been able to progress in this order.

What does it feel like, to have fulfilled your dreams?

It’s only caught up with us recently. Personally, our concerts at SHIBUYA-AX and Zepp Tokyo were some of my dreams. Standing on stage, it was like I suddenly realised, “Ah, we’ve made it here!” (laughs) The moment I realised it, I got a bit teary. I might start crying the moment we start at Budokan (laughs). Sort of like getting chills, when you’re excited.

Then, what do you think will become of SCANDAL from now on?

I think we’re going to make the most of our style. I think it’s okay if we don’t do intense dance moves, but I want to do things [T/N: like ‘moves’] that suit us more, or add accents during the breaks.
[T/N: she uses the word ‘kime’, which could mean anything from just before the chorus to the part between the verse and the prechorus. Confusing. Basically she means more of those hand moves for people to follow along with the beat, etc.]
With regards to our costumes and the stage sets, I want the band to continue to be one that “shows” what we are. We’ve all had times where we’ve been unsure, to some degree, about what we want to do, but more than anything else, we’ve come this far because we love doing live shows the way we want to. So I hope to slowly increase the quality of our shows.

By the way, since your debut, have you experienced moments where you’ve thought, “So this is what it means to work hard”?

For me, I haven’t really worked very hard at anything really.

Do you actually think so? Because it seems that way with your guitar playing, I think you’re really doing your best.

Really? Because I always think that everyone except me is really, seriously, giving it everything they have. That’s why I don’t think I’m actually working very hard. Like, “That person’s really working hard, but I’m just doing what’s necessary.” I’m doing the complete opposite of working hard.

So that’s how it is? But, please work hard in your preparation for the Budokan concert.

Yes, I will work hard for Budokan (laughs). That’s what I intend to do.

Personal reflection:
Doing MAMI's interviews always takes me the longest. She and RINA always give the more complex answers, I feel, because of the way they conceptualise music and the band, and how much they talk. HARU is quite closed and straightforward, but MAMI also has an interesting way of talking that makes what she wants to say a little bit unclear, like she often ends sentences with, "~janai desu ka?" which is roughly, "Wouldn't you say~?"

That last point about not trying hard at anything ... is pure love. I love this woman hahaha - I feel like she compares herself to others and thinks, "ah, that's what it is to try really hard at something. And I'm just cruising." RINA gets prodigiously upset, I feel, so to compare your own efforts to that ... I feel like it's kind of natural to have that response. HARU-nee has also probably been going through vocal training to get over that strain she developed, so that probably adds to this feeling of, 'I'm not trying as hard as I could be; I'm not working as hard as I can yet, because they're clearly working as hard as they can.'

Part Four: RINA

Read (pre-debut) SCANDAL blog translations at Scandal Baby on Wordpress or Livejournal

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
GIRLS BE SCANDALOUS Artist Book: Long Interview | Photo Archives & Interview Archives
BABY ACTION Magazine Edition: Album Interview | SCANDAL Girl's Love Talk & Conversation
Back to top Go down

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Yeah MAMI is clearly not as straightforward as HARU but I love her style too! There are many things in this interview so it's hard to talk about one thing but it's adorable to see their reaction at that time, they didn't even do Budokan yet! And now they have come so far and do more and more their own songs.

Their growth has been really great Happy

Thx as always TanyaLilac-sama Praise

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t8777-game-fun-with-scandal
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t10195-game-2048-puzzle-scandal-editions
Back to top Go down

waning_moon

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Oh wow, thank you so much for these translations! I should check this thread more often haha. 

I'm always a bit more attentive when listening to (reading about) Haruna explain herself during these kind of long interviews. I feel so curious because she totally deviates from what I think of her each time (well, that happens with each member, too). It's really awesome to read about how she turned everything around herself ^-^  

You're right about Haruna being more straightforward than Mami and Rina, while Tomomi is also quite simple. I can relate to Mami though, about not working hard. This is just me thinking out loud but I think Mami is just one step ahead with her talent and can reach certain levels of skill that others might have to work harder for. Maybe that's why she feels like she's just cruising. I can relate in how I've never really aimed for anything more than what's necessary aha. It's nice to hear her determination regarding that span of topics though and it's also weird the way I'm replying to this interview that's a few years old haha. 

Their characters are really interesting the more I read about them *-* I can't wait for Tomomi and Rina's parts~ Thank you again for putting in so much time! Seems like Baby Action was one of their turning points. 

Post Note: Before this interview I always thought Mami worked pretty hard lol watching her perform and being focused on the notes so it was new to me xD I also love how they can enjoy their own performances without worrying over mistakes; one of their best qualities as a band for me.

Back to top Go down

M

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I really like it when the Haruna is being straight forward, that's her character. And Mami being more complex (? :p). Rina can be straight forward too. Honestly, one more thing why I love SCANDAL is that they have different personalities and they're bonding's tough as family or thicker than blood.

a bit surprised when I read Mami's statement of 'not working hard', but this was the old times(2011-2012). Probably she's working hard now XD. From the documentaries after Budokan (HELLO WORLD, or the making of Your Song') I see her focused and productive, making melodies and discussing it to the members, or changing this and that.

Pretty much sums up my whole (social) life:
Haruna wrote:I’m not really an outgoing person. I like listening to other people’s stories, but I’m bad at talking about myself. I used to think it was best to talk as little as possible about things that didn’t need to be shared

Sometimes, just the silence is a great bonding. Haha I don't know. I just feel that when people just think of what the other person could be thinking, it makes a great atmosphere haha (Do you get it? no? Don't bother then haha)

Thank you for the translations, TanyaLilac-san ^^ Just found this now haha looking forward for Tomo's and Rina's Happy

Back to top Go down

Timotimotimo~
Posted on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:17 pm

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

It was totally different to how I had imagined:

While you were on tour for ten days in Asia, did you come to miss Japan?

A bit (laughs). It’s just, this time the staff from Hong Kong came with us for the whole tour. They were the same people who have been looking after us for the past four years, but we got closer from being together for the whole ten days so it was sad when we parted. If I were to speak about my impressions in order, we’d never been to Taiwan before so it was surprising that people were waiting for us at the airport. But, they welcomed us enthusiastically, which made me happy. Like the past four consecutive years we’ve been going to Hong Kong, there was also the unofficial fan club, ‘SCANDAL SUSHI’. We receive some of their goods every time we go (laughs), but really, I look forward to it each time.  It was our second time going to Singapore but there was an unofficial club that hadn’t been there last year. Last time we performed at a one day event, but this year, we had solo concerts over two days. I was really happy. I felt truly happy that there was a place our music could speak to people, even across the sea.

When performing overseas, was there a difference in your ‘fighting spirit’ when compared to Japan?

How we get fired up for performances doesn’t really change, whether or not it’s a solo concert or as part of a bigger event.  Only, there is a language difference so I think it can’t be helped that there are parts where the lyrics don’t translate completely. We wanted people there to really enjoy themselves from the heart, so we did things like stand really close to the edge of the stage. Also, during MC sections, we tried to speak the local language and so on. But, that was all in terms of differences. Fundamentally, we approach all live performances the same way.

Were there any memorable reactions?  

The people – for example, even if we did a ballad, no one would calm down at all. We did 「BURN」which we still haven’t done in Japan, and everyone was waving their arms like wind screen wipers (laughs). Surprisingly, in Singapore, that didn’t happen because they did more of a rock wave, but seeing the differences in waving styles and preferred songs in each region was refreshing – and I enjoyed it.

Did you enjoy the cities themselves?

We went to a lot of places. We went to the night markets in Taiwan for dinner and there was the characteristic smell of Asia drifting through the air (laughs) … maybe it’s because we’ve been to Hong Kong every year for the past four years, I was completely uninterested …

Well I guess that’s a memory in itself (laughs). Was there any food that you enjoyed?

Last year when we went to Singapore, all of the fans were really pushing for us to try chicken rice. I expected it would kind of be something like the ketchup rice we get in Japan, but I ordered it for the first time and it was a dish of white rice topped with steamed chicken. Then there was a ginger-spiced sauce, which you added to your liking. It was really delicious! It was totally different to how I had imagined.

With your hall tour starting in October, do you feel you were able to reserve some energy from the Asia Tour?

We’re considering a lot of things right now. Things like making sudden appearances as a mystery unit, or how improve our stage set. Also, we changed our mikes. There was a general feeling of wanting to increase performance aspect of our shows, but having the microphones in a fixed place meant that we couldn’t move very much. So in an attempt to solve this dilemma, we came up with the new head sets. To be honest, I have a lot of memories from the Asia Tour.

Every night we were on tour, we’d have meetings, and the conversation turned to how lately, even though our recent concerts were definitely fun, perhaps there were things we had started to get used to. When we watch our old footage, probably because we didn’t understand how to move while playing, we used to just keep spinning around. We only knew how to head bang, so it sufficed to just head bang (laughs). But now we want to be more expressive with our songs, and harmonise properly, so the three of us (at the front) can’t really move from our mikes. But during our meetings on the Asia Tour, we came up with “remember our original spirit” (lit. remember the spirit with which we began). Of course I want people to listen to our songs, but if you compare them to our previous works, I think we’ve grown up a bit. So without being conscious of both of these things, when I remember our performances, this time it was more like, ‘let’s try to head bang more, and move around more’.

Also, while there are obvious instances when we get influenced by how hyped the audience is, it wasn’t like that – we were consciously trying to raise the tension properly by ourselves. Doing our tour like this was fun and I think we were able to make it a success. I want to have these kinds of experiences in Japan as well.

So you’re always going on with this all furious head banging, don’t you get dizzy?

Yes, I do (laughs). If I do it too much, occasionally there are times where I feel like my conscious has flown away. If I have to sing the next song, so I stumble over to the mike but I don’t make it in time and I skip the opening lines to the song (laughs). Ahh, obviously I want to do the songs properly, but this time I want to give more of a show. We’ve always aimed to be a band that is fun to watch, so as expected, I want to treasure that.

It’s been announced that you’ll be performing your first concert at Nippon Budoukan next March. How did you feel when you first found out?

I couldn’t believe it! To the point where I feel like I’m only temporarily holding myself in check, even now (laughs). Budoukan is definitely a bit of a special place, I get chills thinking about it. That we were able to reach it, just under four years after our debut, makes me happy. We’ve always been aiming to perform at Osaka Jou Hall, but this is a big milestone. And, of course, I want to see a full house at Budoukan! Lately, I think the feeling of people who want to see SCANDAL has become stronger and stronger. But, there are also people who know our name, and want to see us, but not go really far out of their way to do so, right? Because of this, and I think it might be a bit backwards, but I want to go around to a lot of small live houses. Especially places that don’t have reserved tickets, but that’s just my own fantasy. I want to go and assertively meet these people. I want to go to prefectures I haven’t been to before.

So basically, it’s only now that you have more confidence in your concerts.

Yeah, that’s it! Our self confidence, you could say, was set from the beginning. A big part of that was deciding, “Our concerts are going to be fun” (laughs). The important thing was putting our hearts into this, so we could make it happen. In regards to our concerts, then, because we were clearly expressing this intention, ‘self confidence’ became unnecessary. But this is something I’ve only realised recently (laughs) (T/N: Tomo uses ‘will’ instead of ‘heart’ and ‘intention’ but it doesn’t really work as well in English ><; )

So it’s a recent thing? Lately, you’ve also been writing your own music and assertively become involved with production, haven’t you? Will this involvement continue with your concerts?

That’s right. With the songs we’ve written, as expected, there’s a special feeling when we play them live, so I think there’s a link there. Performing songs we’ve written ourselves is something we haven’t experienced up until now. And when we realised it, it was like, “Ah, so this is how fun it is!” Of course, we’ve had enjoyed everything before this point, and we have songs that are important to us because they contain our feelings, but this is just a bit more special. So, I want to slowly do more of these songs from now on, and hope that they can reach everyone.

Obviously including this aspect, what direction do you want to head in from now on?

Previously, we didn’t specifically understand what direction we wanted to head. But slowly, we worked on our songs, and talked with our staff, and eventually we came up with “we want to do cool things”. Things like, songs that we truly think are cool and want to play at concerts – they’re important. I want to do songs with a strong awareness of the live performance aspect. I want to be a band that is cool at Budoukan and in a small live house. When I think about our origins as a small live house band, I don’t want to forget that. It’s fun, as you’d expect. I think large reason behind this is because we were close to our fans, but also because there’s a special atmosphere there. I want SCANDAL to always hold on to the enjoyment we had in our Indies days.

From your debut until now, have you experienced anything like a barrier?

There have been various ones. But once I overcame them, they all became something like, “Why did I stress out so much over them?” But there hasn’t been anything that’s made me think, “I never want to go back there ever again!”  

So how did you overcome those small hurdles then?

Well I had meetings with the other members, and overcame things by keeping positive and talking about how we wanted things to turn out in the future. I think if I’d been alone, I would have just kept hitting my head on these barriers until I died. I like talking with the others, about the future (laughs lightly).

You’re together almost every day, but you still have things to talk about! (laughs)

Yes, that’s really it. That’s why we can only talk like we always do (laughs). But, by affirming with them, I can only see a bright future for us.

Reflection:
Not much to say this time around; while it was straightforward, some parts were a bit more difficult to translate than others because she used abstract identifiers like "those"... but precious!Timo is precious -- I think it wasn't a surprise that she has to talk through her problems to maintain her positivity.

SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down