SCANDAL on Wikipedia [Page 1 of 1]

SCANDAL on Wikipedia
Posted on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:38 am

MamiNoodles

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://instagram.com/thedapperrunner
Hello.

I really need your help for updating [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and create more entries about their albums, compilations, update images from their official website, and even create entries of each band members. I want to do it because they deserve more fan following.

Is anyone here knowledgeable with Wikimedia Commons? I know Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia but we have to comply with copyright laws.

Thanks for your help.

Back to top Go down

Re: SCANDAL on Wikipedia
Posted on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 am

sillentdx

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Well~, I'm a wikipedian for over 6 years, but as my English is faaar from fluent (not like I care about it, lol) I restrict myself to only edit/create list-class articles/revert vandalism. Over the 6 years I made 1 "featured" ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], of course :D), and 1 "good" article ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) on the Hungarian Wikipedia. 

You guys can copy/paste articles from generasia (or any text/image licensed under CC-BY-SA or similiar free licences). (there should be a template for theese articles but I can't find it)

If you want to beef up the main article about SCANDAL you guys could look for source materials in the huwiki article! (or even better translate parts from it [like in the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]) Scandal Heaven and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] provide extremly good sources for the article. (just as the following two (in Japanese): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

If someone write the article I can "wikicode" it, cite sorces, etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. "create more entries about their albums, compilations" - ctrl+c/ctrl+v from generasia (and then beef them up)

2. "update images from their official website" - if you meant promo pictures then: naaah, those will be deleted (as they are not licencesed under a free licence), album covers could be uploaded with a fair use rationale

3. "and even create entries of each band members" - ONLY RINA is notable by the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of the (English) Wikipedia, as she was "a reasonably prominent member of two or more independently notable" bands (SCANDAL, and Halloween Junky Orchestra)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
最高の夜にしようね!!
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:10 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Don't really have knowledge about this but it's a good idea Clap

Their Wiki is already "nice" but you can always make it more complete, especially for the sub-pages (like a page for every single with many infos, etc).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Lexian

http://ask.fm/frozentheory
Aside from album covers, what other kinds of SCANDAL images would be okay under a free license?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Moderator of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:31 am

sillentdx

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
@Lexian
Picture about the members, concert pictures, (good luck with these two, lol) pictures about their signature guitars, a picture about Shiroten would be also nice, (an .svg version of) their new logo, etc, etc

@HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo
Sadly you can't really create informative articles about their releases as Japanese media is worthless, there's almost zero album reviews... (but it's extremely important to them to show H/M/T's guitars in every single issue, lol)

最高の夜にしようね!!
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:23 am

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Can't you create a page like this for each single/album? : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can give information about the meaning of the songs, the first timed it aired, infos about how it was written (like the infos we get from their blogs, etc).

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:49 am

MamiNoodles

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
@Lexian: As far I know, only album and home video sleeves may fall under free license.

@silentdx: That's exactly my idea. Maybe we could ask help from TGE (Jade) to translate stuff aboput SCANDAL. Calling Jadey here, hehehehe. Happy

@Harurinamamitomo: It is a shame that I can't find any record reviews either except from personal blogs which are not considered by Wikipedia as reliable sources.

Guys, thanks for you great ideas and suggestions. I'll edit or create Wiki articles about SCANDAL when I'm free on weekends. My Wikipedia user name is Nurikane.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:17 am

sillentdx

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
@HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo
IMHO, most of the time there's simply not enough source to write an informative article (like that one about that Gwen Stefani song) about their releases - so I kinda gave up on writing articles about them on the huwiki. (usually there's nothing about the composition of the songs, there's zero critical reception...)  The best one I wrote is about [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and I'm kinda not satisfied with it (though it's rated "jól használható" (literally: "well usable" or something like that, equivalent of the enwiki [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) by the "Music workshop")
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* "As far I know, only album and home video sleeves may fall under free license." - Everything is copyrighted unless otherwise stated. (that's why I bugged @[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to upload a picture under free licence about the Scandal Kyobashi oppai pub to his flickr, lol.)

I found 1 Japanese site that "reviews" albums/singles ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

最高の夜にしようね!!
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:55 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Oh well it would have been great to have a full wiki page for each single/album like the one I linked but I understand what you mean =( I thought for the singles it was possible because of what they say in interviews on TV/magazines or blogs.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:46 am

MamiNoodles

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Thanks guys! Now, we're getting there.

I will be starting the "beef-up project" by editing [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Can I ask if the single was re-released in 2012? All we know that the single has an [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as well as the second track "Satisfaction" was used as a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

If it is, can you please tell me the exact date and did the single chart again on the Oricon charts?

I need more credible online references too.

Thanksmuch.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:00 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
It was re-released maybe because something strange happened in the charts. It was out of the charts for... 74 weeks and then it charted a little bit for 2 weeks. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bu it could just be that people bought it because of the TV advert.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:05 pm

Lexian

If any wikipedian is looking for the HELLO WORLD album art in high res, JPU records in Europe had one on their page:
(From Joshua10red in the HELLO WORLD thread)

Dimensions are 2000x1983. Could be useful for a HELLO WORLD article.

Moderator of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:28 pm

sillentdx

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Haruka wa "re-released" with a special Windows 8 themed sleeve but with the same catalog number as the original release. Microsoft - I assume - heavily advertised their operating system thus not only the single re-entered the charts, but "Satisfaction", too. (#61 on Billboard Japan Hot 100, #76 on BBJ AC, there's only one other non A-side SCANDAL song that charted on Japan Hot 100 (or any other BBJ chart) "Brand New Wave" @ #48

@Lexian
You can't upload high-res non-free content to Wikipedia.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: I've translated the lead section of the main huwiki article to e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y rough Hunglish, wonder somebody could translate it to proper English... (if its worthy to) ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

最高の夜にしようね!!
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:16 pm

MamiNoodles

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
sillentdx wrote:Haruka was "re-released" with a special Windows 8 themed sleeve but with the same catalog number as the original release. Microsoft - I assume - heavily advertised their operating system thus not only the single re-entered the charts, but "Satisfaction", too. (#61 on Billboard Japan Hot 100, #76 on BBJ AC, there's only one other non A-side SCANDAL song that charted on Japan Hot 100 (or any other BBJ chart) "Brand New Wave" @ #48

Great stuff! Thanks guys for helping me a lot!

But can I have some references from Billboard Japan before I update the "Haruka" article? Bear with me because I can't read Kanji. Translating through Google can be horrible and can provide misleading information. I need additional manpower here, LOL.

Meanwhile, I created articles about Mami Sasazaki and Rina Suzuki. Need to do more research about them, though. Please feel free to beef them up. To search Rina on Wiki, please include (musician) after her complete name.

I'll be creating Wiki pages for Haruna Ono and Tomomi Ogawa in the near future. But, I have to look for credible articles about Haruna's bit role in the film Backdancers and Tomomi's role in Domoto Brothers Band.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:45 pm

sillentdx

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Well, there's actually no article posted about that "Satisfaction" and "Brand new wave" are the only two B-side SCANDAL song that charted, but it's still a fact. (sources: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

Also, don't be suprised if they delete(/redirect) the articles about the band members as they (exept RINA) are not notable by the standards of the wiki. (they even delete articles that ARE notable, like "Space Ranger")

I wrote [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] about Mami (in Hungarian, offcourse :D), you could use it for some infos (but bear in mind that I abandoned it in like 2012 after a failed deletion proposal

最高の夜にしようね!!
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:43 pm

MamiNoodles

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I'm back from personal errands, marathon training and eating last Holidays.

Hope you'll like my creation of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Please feel free to improve the article about her.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:54 am

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Cool thanks for doing it =)

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:22 am

Mamiisthebest

International Performer
International Performer
http://www.scandal-heaven.com/u14464
im not a wikipedia registered user or anything (although its fun to mess with articles Evil Grin)
so i cant really help... wish i could

Love
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:38 am

Lexian

Registering is the easy part.
The formatting of some pages, however, can get tricky. I'm sure our resident wiki-experts can help if you want to change anything.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:19 am

Kimochii

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://tnmaa.net
I'm not a wikipedia registered user or anything.. So I can't help. Sorry.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:09 am

Lexian

Registering is ridiculously free and easy. You don't even need to add an email (although I prefer to link my email to it).

But if people don't want to help contribute, then so be it.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:02 pm

MamiNoodles

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Whoever good soul who started [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], thank you!

However, I was deleted once by due to lack of references. I undid the deletion because I have enough resources to refer almost everything about Haruna. Still, it was deleted! I found Wikipedia (English) admins really unreasonable. Sorry for ranting! I am just fed up with them specially with that certain watchdog named Davey whatchamachalit.

Please help me out with on improving article of the band members and backing me out since we are all fans of SCANDAL.

PLEASE.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:03 pm

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
One of the only rules Wikipedia really has is that you have to cite everything. Even if you know something to be true, you have to link somewhere that people can look it up for themselves. Wikipedia itself isn't supposed to be a primary source.

Even so, a lot of false/erroneous info makes it in there (including on Scandal's page). But hopefully it gets deleted quickly. One of the bad things about Wikipedia is that the sources themselves don't really need any record for reliability, so you can post pretty much anything you want as long as somebody else said it somewhere that can be linked to. You could make your own Scandal history web page, then cite it as a source on Wikipedia. The point is then it's on the onus of the reader to check the sources and decide if *they* are reliable, rather than Wikipedia itself.

But if you just post a bunch of stuff without linking to any sources, then yes, it will be deleted at some point.

That's why I don't really usually edit anything on Wikipedia unless it's clearly false info, marketing or propaganda, in which case I do sometimes delete things. But posting new info is hard because of the citations required. You could have personally experienced something totally unique - you could have met Haruna at a bar and she could tell you and only you everything about herself - but that info will be deleted from Wikipedia unless you can cite a source for it that people can look up for themselves.

Back to top Go down