thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (7 votes)

SCANDAL - Love songs to keep up with their first joint band tour
Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview VzE0uiI

SCANDAL will be releasing their first ever digital-only single 「Koisuru Universe」 on 10/22.

The new songs 「Koisuru Universe」 (A Universe In Love) and 「Futari」 (The Two of Us) are songs written to match their first joint band tour starting on 10/6 and that will be held in Tokyo, Nagoya, and Osaka. The three bands joining them will be UNISON SQUARE GARDEN, 04 Limited Sazabys, and BLUE ENCOUNT, and it is a satisfying work that strikes in spirit and proficiency as an all-girl band with a career spanning 11 years.

SCANDAL, who completed their first 47 prefecture tour held between March and July, continue to maintain an offensive stance. We asked the quartet about their digital single that had been a challenge as well as their thoughts on their highly anticipated joint band tour.

A 47 prefecture tour filled only with great things while going through 53 set lists

──SCANDAL held its first 47 prefecture tour from March to July. Please tell us your thoughts about completing it.

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview RvEKMgX

HARUNA: It ended in no time at all, but it really felt like a success. We felt so moved when we came back to Tokyo's Toyosu PIT. It was the first time we had feelings we couldn't voice.

RINA: The smallest venue we played at has a capacity of about 200, and Toyosu PIT has a capacity of 3,000. The fluctuations in venues was about that much, so we again felt grateful that we get to play in large venues. There were also merits in small venues too.

MAMI: Each of them had their own merits. We also played a new live houses as well as live houses that have been around for many years, and the sounds differ at all of them. We really thought that we wouldn't understand things like that unless we actually went around each place with our own feet.

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview GvzixlA

TOMOMI: We were also happy we got to go to the areas we hadn't played a solo live in before, which were Kochi, Saga, Gifu, and Miyazaki. What we were grateful for were that all of the shows were sold out, and that enthuastic audiences were waiting for us at each stop. It was great being able to confirm that spectacle with our own eyes.

──It sounds like you found new confidence as a band.

MAMI: It gave us confidence, and it was also tough for all of us. We did all 53 performances at a pace of one performance every two days, two every three days.

TOMOMI: Moreover, we would change every set list by looking at that day's mood and atmosphere of the audience who came to the venues in each area, meaning that we had 53 different set lists. That's why we were able to tour always feeling fresh, and I think we were able grow properly because of that.

MAMI: It was a 47 prefecture tour filled only with great things.

Something that can be delivered to all quicker than a CD

──After that you appeared at all kinds of summer festivals as well as celebrated your 11th anniversary on 8/21.

MAMI: It feels like we just celebrated our 10th anniversary the other day. Our 11th anniversary came in no time (laughs).

──That just means that you've continued to energetically do dense activities.

RINA: SCANDAL currently has quite a system of attack as a band. Just like when we had our sharp debut with plenty of spirit, and now that 11 years has passed, we strongly feel that we want to go on the offensive again. We believe that it's time to try things we couldn't do until now, and things that we now can do.

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview JqcMqeh

MAMI: We've had all kinds of modes during these 11 years, but we've come full circle and it's made us happy that we're used to these kinds of feelings. We're also grateful that we're able to be in an environment where we can actually do all kinds of things.

──I'm sure it's the same for your 47 prefecture tour, but I get the impression that you're boldly trying out new things. You'll soon be releasing 「Koisuru Universe」, your first digital-only single, in October and also holding your first joint band tour.

RINA: In regards to the single distribution, it doesn't mean that we absolutely had to do it that way. We love taking the time to make CDs, which I'm sure our fans understand. That's why, when we announced that it's a digital-only release, we got so many people saying, 「Ahー, I wanted a CD!」. Those responses made us really happy.

──In spite of that, what was the reason why you decided to go with a digital-only release?

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview N8HDDS0

RINA: We wanted our new song to be heard before our joint band tour. That's the biggest reason. Although the single will be out after the tour ends, the title track is sent out in advance. Since it's a song that we carefully made and put quite a bit of time into, we thought that something that can be delivered to all quicker than a CD would be best.

──I'm sure the fans will be happy with the members' decision. However, that must mean that you were working on production at the same time you were playing lives.

HARUNA: We were working throughout the entire tour.

MAMI: Yes. So, by saying that we're recording from what we recorded, we've been recording a bit recently.

RINA: Because we want to hurry and release our next album.

──When did you complete the two new songs 「Koisuru Universe」 and 「Futari」?

RINA: The rough draft of lyrics for 「Futari」 were done around summer of last year.

MAMI: The music was finished around the beginning of this year. 「Koisuru Universe」 was actively made during our 47 prefecture tour.

──Although they're two different types of songs, they both seem like they'll be great live.

TOMOMI: That's right. While we were playing a bunch of lives, we often talked about how 「It'd be great if we had a song that's a little faster and has explosiveness」. 「Koisuru Universe」 in particular was influenced by those feelings. Also, we really wanted to play both songs on our joint band tour, so they ended up having sounds that are likely to be great live.

How should we keep up with UNISON SQUARE GARDEN, 04 Limited Sazabys, and BLUE ENCOUNT as an all-girl band

──Both lyrics were written by RINA with music by MAMI.

MAMI: Songs from this combination have continued on recently (laughs). Both of them first started with the lyrics, and the music was added after that. Simple sounds were done by the four of us while centering on the image of songs that would be good live, but we made them while focusing on being able to properly feel the glitzinesses of them as songs.

──「Koisuru Universe」 certainly does have a glitziness to it.

MAMI: That's right. We did it to swiftly change the development, and we thought that expressing the "introduction, development, turn, and conclusion of love" in the lyrics with the melody and sound would be great. The image of it was born by being called out by the lyrics.

RINA: As for the lyrics, the words "a universe in love" were stowed away in my head, so it feels like the world expanded from there. It was like, 「What does "a universe in love" mean?」 (laughs).

──The lyrics and sound both brilliantly express the erupting inner thoughts of a girl in love.

RINA: We focused on lyrics and a melody that can only be expressed by a girl; we wanted to make a love song and a killer tune. For that too we had our joint band tour in October on our minds. We're playing shows together with UNISON SQUARE GARDEN, 04 Limited Sazabys, and BLUE ENCOUNT, three bands that focus on playing all sorts of festivals; we really thought about how we, as an all-girl band, should keep up with them.

──I see. That's why you're competing with a women's unique perspective and approach.

RINA: Yes. Is there no meaning to being an all-girl band if you're playing similar songs and similar rock as guy bands? That's why we again really thought about what kind of songs we as an all-girl band should be playing. Even if you take a look at the scene it seems that the correct answer hasn't found yet, so we also thought that we had to find it for ourselves. It took us quite a long time to make it because we had that type of challenge.

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview SGMEFRX

──It seems that that challenge was a success. It turned out to be a song that only the all-girl band SCANDAL could write.

RINA: I'm happy you say so, since we tried incorporating a number of challenges into it. It feels that the first and second verses are hard to remember and sing (laughs).

──The singing's so fast.

HARUNA: That's right (laughs).

RINA: However, the chorus is really catchy. That combination was another challenge for us.

TOMOMI: Soundwise, it's a big thing for us to use syncronization. Since the sounds are really only made by the four of us, it's possible to generate instantaneous power at our own timings during lives. We were able to achieve what we can do and must do while challenging ourselves to all sorts of things.

MAMI: I thoroughly played around on the guitar by supposing what we can properly reproduce live. We're taking full advantage of the equipment we have and are likely to produce a bunch of weird sounds (laughs).

We thought that we should use the way that HARUNA sings 「kiss」 someday

──Among rock expressions, a song with sweet nuances unique to women is also very good. It surprised me when I first listened to it, like, 「Who's singing this?」.

MAMI: Yes, that's true.

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview NvS56Wu

HARUNA: The enjoyment of singing lyrics I myself didn't write has really sprouted for me for past one or two years. I'm drawing out more and more new things by singing about and emotionally becoming all sorts of protagonists. I really felt that I could play around with my voice as this is a love song and song that has an interesting expansion. I'm also testing out how many people I can get to say 「Who's singing on this?」, so that kind of impression makes me happy (laughs).

──That 「kisu shite (kiss you)」 part is pretty great. That'll definitely make boys' hearts skip a beat.

MAMI: Because it's sly (laughs).

HARUNA: Ahahaha (laughs). RINA wrote it aiming for it to be received like that, so I responded properly with my singing.

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview 1r73ZFN

RINA: Actually, before we recorded this song, I had HARUNA sing another song that had 「kiss」 in the provisional lyrics. The three of us took notice of the way HARUNA sung 「kiss」 at that time. That's why we thought that we should use 「kiss」 someday. That "someday" came along this time. So, 「kiss」 is included in both songs (laughs).

HARUNA: I didn't know everyone thought that. I'm hearing about it for the first time during this interview (laughs). But I'm glad I didn't know.

RINA: That's right (laughs). If you had known, you'd have been aware of it when singing 「kiss」.

HARUNA: Yeah. But since I know now, I'll be embarrassed singing it next time.

MAMI: Okay, then we can't use 「kiss」 anymore (laughs).

RINA: We'll hold off for a while (laughs).

We studied instrumental songs and live performances for 「Futari」

──「Futari」 is another love song. The lyrics that depict the excitement of being love is also linked to 「Koisuru Universe」, isn't it?

RINA: That's right. I too thought that the stories were linked after it was completed. They were made at different times, and I wasn't thinking of making two songs like that, but it seems that the love songs I wanted to release as a single unconsciously ended up as this one story. I was just thinking about making both of them happy and awesome love songs.

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview OlXMSvQ

TOMOMI: We've done several love songs so far, but we also felt that we wanted to increase our range and increase our number of songs at this point in time. As a result, the two songs we made this time are different from what we've done so far; we really think that they're love songs that we needed to do right now. We think that all-girl bands should show multifacetality from the start, and should change steadily in line with the times while having a solid standard as their axis. So, we feel that there are also unique themes that emerge during various experiences as you age.

──It has a straight rock sound with a sense of speed. The guitar in the intro is very impressive.

RINA: We had always talked about wanting to have a song that starts from that sort of guitar intro.

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview R3ScqhX

MAMI: Yes. I had a rough image of it not being a cheerful song and tried out a slightly dubious atmosphere. I wanted to do things like play a melody as if a guitar was singing, and I also studied by listening to instrumental band songs and watching live performances. Of course, since we have vocals, I made it with particular attention while fine-tuning it keep its balance.

TOMOMI: This song has a fast tempo, so finger picking was pretty tough (laughs). I'm kind of unsure whether or not to use a pick to play it live.

MAMI: It's because it has a very grinding sound.

TOMOMI: You're right. We haven't done a grinding, stoic rock tune in a while. Now I'm looking forward to playing it live.

──The singing also has a stoic feel to it.

HARUNA: That's right. Rather than playing with notations, I thought it was better use my own straightforward singing voice. That's why recording went really fast (laughs).

──What about the 「kiss」 part?

HARUNA: How was it, I wonder? (laughs)

MAMI: Ah, it's really great too!

RINA: Thanks for the meal (laughs).

SCANDAL's isolation is over

──We need to ask about your joint band tour.

RINA: Right! We're really happy, since we're finally able to play joint band lives we had been wanting to do with three cool bands. Even though we had appeared at the same festivals, we had an inferiority complex, like, 「How are they different from us?」. We were tormented by feelings of loneliness, but when we asked them, everyone pleasantly jumped at the chance, saying 「I listen to SCANDAL's songs!」 and 「That seems really interesting!」.

MAMI: They're three bands that make really cool music, so we want our fans to see them. We got the OK from everyone most likely because we've been doing this for 11 years.

TOMOMI: Although we had always wanted to do joint band events, we had absolutely zero friends back in the day. We weren't invited to festivals either, nor were we featured in rock magazines or radio stations. So, we had only been playing solo lives that were as if we were building up our own "country."

──The gates of the country called SCANDAL are finally opening to the outside now.

RINA: Our isolation is over (laughs). No, but the gate's lock has been open all this time.

MAMI: That's right. It's like we thought that no one would knock on the gate, and we had been waiting forever about 1 cm next to the gate (laughs).

RINA: Well, looking back now, there were hardly any all-girl bands when we had our major label debut and it was hard to call out to others. We arbitrarily thought that we couldn't mingle with other bands. In that sense, it was very hard to enter through our gates (laughs).

HARUNA: We found this out by talking to the three bands, but it seems that everyone viewed us as a presence in a different scene from theirs in a good way. Knowing that, we had mutual respect for each other and were able to put together this joint band tour, so I can't wait for it. As we're all very close in age, these lives will turn out great!

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview JuE1oBR

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down
Star~world96®

Star~world96®

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
After reading the part about Futari, I'm REALLY excited to listen to it even more. And I'm loving these photos, they're so bada** .upwalk.

Back to top Go down
joameba

joameba

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Thanks, now I'm hyped about futari, wanna hear it right now!

"Something that can be delivered to all quicker than a CD"
I don't think this is accurate, like, they have fans outside japan too

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
joameba wrote:"Something that can be delivered to all quicker than a CD"

Blame it on their label, not them. But it technically can be delivered quicker than a CD, since you don't have to wait for it to be delivered through the mail and such, and even international fans can pre-order the single right now if they really want to. That being said, though...

I was just told today by an international record label that it will be available for international fans to easily purchase and download. We just have to wait a bit longer. Wink

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down
reilachii

reilachii

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://reilachii.tumblr.com
I love the fact that they said they want to deliver a different rock from the one of male rock band, and the girl rock they aim to do is not cute, cheesy or super girly but it can be esily compared to the male's one without losing the confrontation in terms of music and lyrics! It looks like the're putting a lot of pride in being an all-girl band in what they do, and I'm all here for it.

I'm also glad they acknowledged that they needed a strong rock tune. Feels like it wasn't only me lol. 
I also laughted at the girls talking about the same things fans talked about the first time they heard Koisuru Universe such as "what does a universe of love means" and "who is singing this" ahah. It's like they tricked us all  Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview 1f60e 

Big thanks for the translation!

Back to top Go down
Mitchan

Mitchan

International Performer
International Performer
Firstly, thank you so much for translation .hail. I enjoyed this interview a lot. There were very interesting questions and oh my god, how I love when they're serious and playful at the same time, especially when they tease Haru LOVE 

Can't wait to hear Futari, that guitar intro intrigued me and I'm so looking forward to it! 
Also, I definitely agree with the "Kiss" part, Haru knows how to sound seductive lol (lets remember the "chotto dake" part from hi hi hi x3 ) 

I'm glad that they want to deliver a different rock style, well, they've always had their own style and colors in their music and I always considered SCANDAL's music as a completely different musical genre and I'm so happy that they continue doing their thing, not being like other bands and groups, I'm just extremely proud of my babies .love.

+ These photos are BOMB omg .nosebleed.

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview Tumblr_pon1n3Osjl1shzh85o3_400
Back to top Go down
gitariskamaran

gitariskamaran

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
thoseguiltyeyes wrote:
joameba wrote:"Something that can be delivered to all quicker than a CD"

Blame it on their label, not them. But it technically can be delivered quicker than a CD, since you don't have to wait for it to be delivered through the mail and such, and even international fans can pre-order the single right now if they really want to. That being said, though...

I was just told today by an international record label that it will be available for international fans to easily purchase and download. We just have to wait a bit longer. Wink

I'm start to missing my time when I purchase their CD's and waiting for the CD's were delivered to my house, that feeling was unforgettable.

I think that's a good idea from their label because using digital is much cheaper than using CD's... but for the fans outside japan, we should wait a bit longer .toj.

Back to top Go down
HitenMitsurugi

HitenMitsurugi

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
https://www.dailymotion.com/vinicius-dbrovedo
Thank you for the interview!!
JPU has a picture of Koisuru Universe on their website.
When I click on the photo nothing happens...
So... We just need to wait :D

Natalie - SCANDAL's "Koisuru Universe" Interview R0ELqB
Back to top Go down
tomorocks

tomorocks

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Haruna definitely succeeded in her goal to make people say "Who's singing this?". The first time I heard Koisuru Universe, I was like "Wait... is this Haruna or Mami?". Personally, I like how she is experimenting with her voice.

Back to top Go down
Don Dio

Don Dio

International Performer
International Performer
tomorocks! wrote:Haruna definitely succeeded in her goal to make people say "Who's singing this?". The first time I heard Koisuru Universe, I was like "Wait... is this Haruna or Mami?". Personally, I like how she is experimenting with her voice.

There have been a couple of recent songs, like "Take Me Out," where my first impression was that Rina was singing.

Back to top Go down
dchan419

dchan419

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
https://www.instagram.com/dchan419/
Thanks a million for the translation. I love their enthusiasm and direction as the band starts it's 11th year together. LOOOOVVEEE the music video.

Special Thanks NYC 09-2018
Feedback Store Patron 08-2019
Mirror World Tour Boston 07-2022
**signature inspired by tge**
Back to top Go down
RFlow

RFlow

Caless Student
Caless Student
Thank you for the translation! Such a great interview.

I love that sincere feeling when they speak about playing together with other bands and "waiting forever about 1 cm next to the gate"  .love. I remember their performances with Stereopony back in the day, but upcoming tour probably will be much different. It's nice seeing them having fun more these days.

Loving Haru's experiments with singing, but can't wait to hear her old good "straightforward singing voice" in Futari! 

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2024 SCANDAL HEAVEN.