Has MAMI downplayed her appearance?
Posted on Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:12 pm

3mania

Caless Student
Caless Student
I think this song is call Huku no Inazuma, it has a real 60's-70's feel to it. I searched the covers threads on SH and didn't see any thing about this song.
 This thread is not really about this song, but Mami's appearance. She looks like an angel sent from heaven, almost unnaturally perfect around this time. I'm not sure why, maybe not to show up the other girls, she seems to have made a concerted effort to play down her looks after this period, with the overalls and weirder hair colors and cuts. This is just a  theory of mine and I have nothing to back it up, but my observations and HOURS and HOURS of watching the girls.

It seems like Mami has cultivated a more unique and quirky look ever since then, as opposed to this anime-like perfection she has on point around this time period. Did she change her appearance to deflect attention away from herself and to the other members, or because she just wants a different look?

I think Mami didn't want to stand out from the other girls because she's such a wonderful friend and band mate, so she downplayed the anime elf princess look to a little more edgy casual style.

Last edited by SH_Staff on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:04 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed the title and added in a defined discussion point.)

Back to top Go down

Re: Has MAMI downplayed her appearance?
Posted on Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:21 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
The song is actually called "Fuyu no Inazuma" (Winter Lightning) from 1977 and was performed by SCANDAL on Shin Domoto Kyoudai back in 2013. You probably haven't seen anything about it on here since you still have a few posts to go before you can access the media section.

I'm kind of confused about the actual point of your topic, though. You put title as being that MAMI's a "living doll," but you talk about how you think she looks like an angel in this video, and then you say how you believe she's been "downplaying" her looks since then...

2011.7.3 AM2 - Anaheim, CA 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 SCANDAL HALL TOUR 2012 @愛知 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 @大阪城ホール 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015.4.25 SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015「HELLO WORLD」 Paris, FR 4.26「HW」London, UK 4.30「HW」Essen, GER 5.15「HW」Chicago, IL 5.20「HW」Mexico City, MEX 5.22「HW」LA, CA 5.23「HW」Anaheim, CA 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD @武道館5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes @泉大津フェニックス 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @Ibaraki 7.15 Mito 7.17 Tokyo 2018.9.5 SCANDAL US & Mexico Tour 2018 "Special Thanks" @NY 9.7 @SF 9.9 @Anaheim 9.12 @MTY 9.14 @MEX 9.16 @TX
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:30 pm

3mania

Caless Student
Caless Student
If you look at the close ups, she looks so perfect, it almost looks computer generated. All the clips I've seen from around 2012-13, (GF 13, Wonderful Tonight, Genke dene vid, and now this, she looks stunning. I'm not saying she's not as beautiful now, it just seems like Mami's has cultivated a more unique and quirky look, as opposed to this anime-like perfection she has on point around this time period.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:01 am

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
In order to make a good discussion topic, you need to have something clear and defined that people can respond to.

So......basically, what you're trying to say is that you think that MAMI has looked different ever since 2012-2013? I guess people can contest/agree with this observation if they wish to lol

2011.7.3 AM2 - Anaheim, CA 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 SCANDAL HALL TOUR 2012 @愛知 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 @大阪城ホール 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015.4.25 SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015「HELLO WORLD」 Paris, FR 4.26「HW」London, UK 4.30「HW」Essen, GER 5.15「HW」Chicago, IL 5.20「HW」Mexico City, MEX 5.22「HW」LA, CA 5.23「HW」Anaheim, CA 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD @武道館5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes @泉大津フェニックス 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @Ibaraki 7.15 Mito 7.17 Tokyo 2018.9.5 SCANDAL US & Mexico Tour 2018 "Special Thanks" @NY 9.7 @SF 9.9 @Anaheim 9.12 @MTY 9.14 @MEX 9.16 @TX
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:53 am

3mania

Caless Student
Caless Student
i will say this more clearly. I'm saying Mami made a decision to go from a more glamorous, sexy look to a more avant guard persona. I guess the discussion part is whether she did this to deflect attention away from herself and to the other members, or because she just wants a different look... always. I think Mami didn't want to stand out from the other girls because she's such a wonderful friend and band mate, so she downplayed the anime elf princess look to a little more edgy casual style.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:20 am

Star~world96®

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

I think its just Mami's style/personality, we all know she the most boyish of the group, so she just chose to wear what made her comfortable and what suits her. I don't really think its to, down play her appearance, I think it just so happen that her style is the least glamorous looking, for a lack of better term. 
And Mami is an odd (in a good way) person, she likes wearing anything wacky, poofy, baggy etc. Which is why I love Mami so much, her fashion is different. But each of the girls have their own unique stlye that stands out differently from each other. Love
But thats not to say Mami doesn't ever look glamorous, some magazines and photoshoots make her look girly but very fashionable.

As for the hair thing, i dont think changing your hair to vibrant colors every time is a way to "down play your appearance" lol. You'll get more attention doing that. I think she just wants to stand out in her own Mami way.

But Mami's stlyec can range from geeky ,to tomboyish ,to rockish ,to girly ,to casual etc.  I personally like her tomboyish look more, but she's cute in her other styles especially like this.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:24 am

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
Well I would say all the girls have changed a lot since SCANDAL started which is hardly surprising being they were pretty young then.
School's have school uniform so all children can look equal and remember that is what SCANDAL used to wear but once they gave up the uniform they had their own characters to find.

I think all the girls  can get away with almost any style but I guess Mami does tend to get labelled the 'weird' one, only those people lucky enough to really know her would be able to tell you if she really is weird or not Happy

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:03 am

Tuba

Caless Student
Caless Student
Each of the girls developed their own style, you can actually see an evolution in all of them when if you start seeing older videos. Rina also has a very distinct look and change it a lot.

Tomo and Haruna don't seem to care so much about fashion but I remember reading an interview where they all say they don't want to match outfits again like they used to do in the past.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:10 am

Don Dio

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I have often thought Mami downplays her beauty by wearing baggy, boyish clothes for one of two reasons: she wants to be identified as a rocker/rock guitarist and not a pop idol; or she is more self-conscious about her body than the other three.  Whatever the reason her look has always fit her personality.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:37 am

Osakashnaide

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
I think I've read ( or watched/ or heard) Mami stating that she likes wearing baggy clothes and colorful hairstyles. Not for any particular reason ( or if there's a reason, I don't think it's because of what you guys have said before)

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:42 pm

jona DJ

International Performer
International Performer
hmm, the way i see it is that she really does like wearing baggy/ boyish clothes, not because she's more concerned with her body or anything. i mean, sometimes she wears dress and other girly clothes too (in SCANDAL sos med), just not as often the other members. And i also see it as in my case. I like how my body is as a girl, but just prefer baggy and boyish clothes. i'm okay with wearing a dress or a costume that really shape my body, it's just not my preference.

other thing to consider is, in photoshoots and concerts/ live performance, they have stylists for branding the band SCANDAL right? They can't just be a group of generic girls with a bland similar personality. You can see that in most photoshoots that there are bound to be different 'feels' between the girls. And i think, MAMI's the only one that can properly portrayed as the "rocky" or "boyish" type, since she's the only one that can wear baggy & tomboy clothes and still looks super cute Happy
examples:

so guys, you gotta appreciate cute tomboyish/ sporty girls more.. like me LOL. jk

me: GENKI DESU~ Onion Shy

thinking about SCANDAL may cause extreme blushing, increasing heart beat rate, crazy actions, exhausted from jumping like a kid, unstoppable weird laughs, sudden excitement, and freaky things that you'll wish you had never done that
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:54 pm

Tuba

Caless Student
Caless Student
jona DJ wrote:since she's the only one that can wear baggy & tomboy clothes and still looks super cute Happy

I respectfully disagree

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:56 pm

Osakashnaide

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Well, recently, Haruna's been wearing baggy clothes too. Though unlike Mami, it usually just the upper part of her body. Cause she's wearing short shorts that sometimes make me think like " Is Haruna only wearing an extra large shirt cause I can't see her short anymore. Lol.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Tuba

Caless Student
Caless Student
You thanked this post! -

Mami may be the tomboy, but Haruna is the most badass of the 4:

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:18 pm

jona DJ

International Performer
International Performer
Tuba wrote:
jona DJ wrote:since she's the only one that can wear baggy & tomboy clothes and still looks super cute Happy

I respectfully disagree

haha, i mean in the context of branding the band.
okay, okay.. i lose anyway

me: GENKI DESU~ Onion Shy

thinking about SCANDAL may cause extreme blushing, increasing heart beat rate, crazy actions, exhausted from jumping like a kid, unstoppable weird laughs, sudden excitement, and freaky things that you'll wish you had never done that
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 am

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
Mami's been doing this for a long time. She was the first to regularly wear pants, for example - when the other girls would be wearing shorts or skirts, she'd be wearing pants. I remember seeing them on the Standard tour and that might have been the last tour with matching outfits, though they designed them, and only Mami designed hers to have pants. I've seen them live four times and the last three times, she was fully covered up while two or more of the other girls weren't.

That sort of progressed into really baggy stuff and casual hair and makeup. I think it's probably mostly just the fact that they've been doing this for a long time and they're just styling themselves how they want now. I don't think she's "downplaying" her appearance in order to not take away from the other girls, if that was the original question, but I think she probably is more comfortable wearing more modest clothes (when given the choice, anyway), and it's probably just easier to do her hair and makeup the way she has been recently.

I don't know that any of the girls are really significantly more popular than the others so I don't think she'd have to intentionally downplay herself anyway. Everybody has their favorites, obviously, but those favorites seem more or less evenly spread between them.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:24 am

Osakashnaide

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

Yup. Scandal fans surely know all for of them. If they don't then they're not scandal fan just a fangirl or fanboy of a member of the group. I don't even think that Mami needs to downplayed her appearance cause speaking as a man myself, the four of them have unique kind of beautiness in them. If you'll ask who's the prettiest of the four, I think it'll all comes down to preferences cause no one is much more beautiful than the other when it comes to Scandal. And I think that's one of the reason why they've been together for so long. Cause no one is outshining the other which for me (just my opinion) have been an issue with other bands. Won't you agree that usually, the Vocalist is the most popular member when it comes to a band, but clearly that isn't true for Scandal.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:00 pm

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
Yes all the girls are beautiful in their own way.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:02 pm

rikitasu

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
"Ironna iro suki de nani ga warui no?"
(What's wrong with liking a lot of colors)

Welp, I can't think of anything but Mami being Mami ( ◉◞౪◟◉)

Love SCANDAL IN MANILA 2018 Love
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:27 pm

wildthing

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
During this year's framed photo sale at feedback, I was first in line, I was flipping through the catalogue and the first photo to caught my eye was a photo of Mami, she was very photogenic and cute in the photo, not how you normally see her so I just had to buy it ^_^ so no I would say they all look fine, she was very energetic at Countdown Japan tonight so don't you worry! (The only time I've seen Mami not looking so well is when she played live, just before Hawaii fan meeting 2016. At the time I noticed it did look odd, later we all found out she was playing whilst she was ill.)

Back to top Go down