SCANDAL is the best! [Page 1 of 1]

SCANDAL is the best!
Posted on Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:47 am

USAadoresU

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
The other day, my brother asked what it was about SCANDAL that I found so great. "What's the fascination?", he asked.

I replied, "Fascination is an insult to what I feel for them. Fascination is comparable to getting hooked on the latest hit by Taylor Swift, Maroon Five, or whoever is the flavor of the week. It's your jam for a week or two, then you put it in the bin of all your other "songs I like".

There is a gigantic ocean of musical talent in Japan and the Far East as a whole. I don't mean to sell any of them short. I admire quite a few of the artists in that part of the world, and wish I was more educated on their work.

I live 45 minutes from work, and at least 20 min. from town. Friends and family are more like an hour away. I never leave the house without four or five SCANDAL CD's.

I told him, "I had crates of vinyl. Boxes of cassettes. A whole wall of shelves of CD's. In over fifty years of searching for the sound that takes me to the Gates of Heaven, I have found it in these four beautiful young ladies from half a world away."

You just can't explain how time slips away, how you can be four or five songs into the "repeat" of their album before you realize it's started over. Nothing less than magical. In my own heart and mind, SCANDAL is the closest music will ever be to perfection!!

Last edited by USAadoresU on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Back to top Go down

Re: SCANDAL is the best!
Posted on Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:42 pm

Haruna's Ears

Caless Student
Caless Student
Ha. There's something definitely spellbinding about them and their music. If old me saw what current me was into now, I'd probably get slapped. But it starts small, with a single song, and gradually the infection spreads.

Right now, I'm suffering withdrawal. Sure, I have all the Scandal music and video I can handle, but it seems so long since something new has come down the pipe. I was hoping that at least one more single and MV would be released off the Honey album.

Here's hoping they release a live show sometime in the next year.

Anyway, nice speech! Thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:30 pm

USAadoresU

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
I hear that, @Haruna's Ears. It's not like I could ever get bored with them, it's how you always want more! Infection, addiction, whatever you want to call it, once they get in your blood, they have you.

The craziest thing for me is, I'll usually play one album hard for a few days, look at the others, and get drug back in! I was really wearing out "Best Scandal" for about a week, then happened to grab "Temptation Box" as I left for work.

I threw that in the CD deck, and it has hit me particularly hard for the last few days. It's better than the first time I heard it! For me, it's like that with all their albums. A little time away from it feels like forever..

I start seeing the individual aspects of each song. Haruna and Tomomi trading vocals, Mami jumping in and the harmonies just show you how their voices are meant to be together. Yes, they could stand on their own, but nothing compares to them combined.

The instrumentals are every bit as mesmerizing. Every note, beat, chord and riff blend with the others to create a sound unmatched and rarely even approached in my experience.

I wish nothing but the best for them, and hope with all my might for their continued happiness and success in all aspects of their lives. They are a gift to the world, and I pity anyone who can't see that!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:09 am

Haruna's Ears

Caless Student
Caless Student
I keep going back to albums and discovering songs I love that I guess didn't grab me initially due to old biases. I'm like "how did this one get by me before?!". Then I play it to death.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:40 pm

Don Dio

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Because I listen to Scandal so much I am constantly finding new appreciation in songs that did not stand out for me when I first listened to a particular album.  I pick up on nuances in Rina's drum patterns or Mami's in-song noodling that tend to be hidden when you listen just to the melody of the songs.  As a musician, and an overall rock nerd, there is a lot for me to get into in their music.

I have stated before that Scandal has managed to get me to neglect a huge chunk of my music library over the last few years.  Whenever I finish listening to one album of theirs I immediately have to listen to another, and then another.  I always end up listening to all of them in the end.  Most of the time I have my Scandal collection on shuffle because it's so hard to decide what to listen to next.  When I'm not listening to my collection I am constantly playing their videos off YouTube or Vimeo, or playing their DVDs.  

Overall Scandal is a musical dopamine hit to my brain.  I don't think I have ever listened to them or watched their videos (even when they're not playing) and have felt bad.  I don't think that is even possible.  I don't ever have the urge to turn them off, but I do because the best way to appreciate something is through moderation.  I sometimes use them as a reward for dealing with other things in my life.  Can't say I ever thought of another band in the same way.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:05 pm

USAadoresU

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
@Haruna's Ears and @ Don Dio,

Amen and Amen! Honestly, guys, it is so good to communicate with others who share a deep appreciation for SCANDAL. 

When I talk about them, I'm almost always asked, "Is it pop, rock, love songs, kickazz jams or what?" Yes, yes, yes. All that and more.

Their musical style defies description. It's light as air. It's as heavy as an approaching storm. It'll make you jump and holler, then make you want to bawl like a baby. Pure and raw, like a force of nature.

I know I've been on this tack before, but it bears repeating. Choose your favorite member for whatever reason(s), but don't ever be so naive as to think any one of them "makes or breaks" the band. They all do! The very reason for their greatness is their devotion to their work and each other. They are SCANDAL!! I have no doubt in my mind that they have already cemented a place in music history, and will continue to build on that eminence as long as their hearts desire.

Back to top Go down