Temptation Box Review [Page 1 of 1]

Temptation Box Review
Posted on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:43 am

yuujin_21

Administrator
Administrator
Right-o,I have just received my TempBox PB and DVD today from a courier who thought i was crazy,coz i opened the door too fast and he was like "What the..." and because i was...

Y'know,never mind.

So i realised there's no thread like this,everyone's posting their reviews on the news thread,so for those of you who haven't reviewed yet or wanna do it again,post your thoughts here.

Obviously i'll go first,since i started this thread,and...

I think i rattle on too much.

Anyways!

Let's start with the album itself.In some ways i thought it was innovative,Timo finally has a bass solo (Which,by the way,absolutely blew my mind away,far enough to visit their Space Ranger),and i didn't expect MAMI to sing the whole of Shoujo M.I can say that out of the 9 new songs (Not including the previous singles),I liked 5 songs on my very first listening,which is good,because some of the songs on BEST SCANDAL took me a while to like,i only got hooked onto Hitotsu Dake,Kimi to Yoru to Namida and Maboroshi Night after watching the BEST SCANDAL Live DVD.

EVERYBODY SAY YEAH is easily my pick of the lot,because it sounds raw enough,meaning guitars,bass,drums,vocals.Sayonara My Friend gives me almost the same feeling as Sakura Goodbye,but the difference is that Sayonara My Friend is something like "Oh,i don't want you to go,but okay,goodbye" whereas Sakura Goodbye is more melancholic,like "Oh,please don't leave" kinda feeling.

Playboy Part II made me smile,with one of the reasons being reading the lyrics and knowing that RINA wrote em,but somehow it's missing that KOSHI-TANTAN or Space Ranger feel,it feels more like somewhere in between Koi Moyou and DOLL.I thought Aitai was nice,but the hype from all you guys made it sound nicer than nice.I dunno.LOL
Mayyyybeee Timo was singing a little too high on HoukagoH1,but...that's her voice,and i think,well,it's high usually anyways. /shrugs

Nau for the not-so-good comments,just a few though.I thought that the album was a little lacking in guitar solos,i thought there was going to be a solo in songs like Playboy Part II like you know,the standard after-the-2nd-chorus-and-before-the-bridge solo.They could've included maybe 1 or 2 more.Shoujo M sounded a little too electronic in the beginning,but the instruments came in and redeemed the song for me,i don't think i can quite like it if it was all electronic effects.

Enough of songs,nau for the photobook.

In one word,

ReallyawesomeandthisphotobookeasilyblowsmeawaylookingatalltheRINApicsandthankeverythingthat'slovelythere'snothingeroinsidemaybeexceptforTimo'shandcuffsbutshe'salwayseroticsoi'llforgiveherthisonce.

Yesh,that's one word. >-

This is muchmuchmuchmuchmuchmuchmuchmuhcmuch machi machi machi better than the first photobook.Shots of them at the beach,holding balloons,in a grassy area with their instruments,nau that's what i call girls having fun.This photobook completely destroys the first one,and i think many will agree.The CD was differently packaged if you get the photobook version as well,you can see that they really designed it well.

DVD wise,well,it's another digest movie,isn't it?Though,i must say that this is what i would personally prefer to watch,what the girls are like outside performances,how they feel before performances,etcetcetc in a nutshell,their lives.I didn't know before this DVD that Timo actually still suffers from stage fright,and she can recover quite quickly from it.I thought a hardened performer like herself was immune to such things,and apparently i'm very wrong.You also get really silly commentary from the girls inside their dressing room,for example:

(Just a rough sketch)
TOMO:Just now during the performance there was this guy who was leaning against the railing so hard,he sounded like -insert hoarse voice- "Rerr rerr rerr rerr rerr err errerererrrrerrrr!" (She imitated this guy who was singing/shouting along with the song and even the guitar riffs.)

HARU:Really?
TOMO:Yeah!And he was leaning so hard,his friend beside him leaned towards him and wiped his head on his friend's sleeve like -Insert head rubbing against sleeve scene-

HARU:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

-------------------

Y'know,stuff like that.Personally i'd prefer this kind of stuff rather than see them heavily made up and going off for a photoshoot kinda video or something.Timo always made me smile,i remember one scene where she was jumping around non-stop while the others were talking,and HARU singing the wrong lyrics to Space Ranger and then stopped and half-sung-half-shouted "It's wronggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!" and the rest of the girls were laughing at her.Y'know,LOL-ness moments.

Anyways,enough of my grandad stories.Do post up your thoughts about this album in general,including your thoughts on the photobook and if you want,the DVD.

SAIKOU NI!

Yarashiku onegaishimaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssuuuuuuuuu! BLEH!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Bokaru HARUNA desu!"
"Gitaa MAMI desu!"
"Beesu TOMOMI desu!"
"Doraamusu RINA desu!"
Back to top Go down

Re: Temptation Box Review
Posted on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:16 pm

vincendadiaz

International Performer
International Performer
One word: Agree with you!
which one you bought DVD or PB?
i like the last sentence: "yarashiku" Nice One

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:47 pm

yuujin_21

Administrator
Administrator
I bought both the photobook and the DVD.And i'm not regretting spending a lot of money on these two,enjoying every moment of it. :>

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Bokaru HARUNA desu!"
"Gitaa MAMI desu!"
"Beesu TOMOMI desu!"
"Doraamusu RINA desu!"
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:22 pm

asuna

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://thebudgetgeek.blogspot.com
damn u make me want to order the CD+PB nau T.T

btw, Timo's Hi-Hi-Hi slap bass solo is AWESOME Tongue

<3<3<3

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:40 pm

tsunvun86

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://tsunvun86.wordpress.com/
I have to say I enjoyed the digest movie a lot. I get to see TOMO being her usual self x10000000

Behind the scene videos are always the best =3

~Know Music, Know Life~
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:02 am

yuujin_21

Administrator
Administrator
Darou darou!Oh by the way asun,your mind will be like

MIND=BLOWN

Once you get the photobook. :>

"Bokaru HARUNA desu!"
"Gitaa MAMI desu!"
"Beesu TOMOMI desu!"
"Doraamusu RINA desu!"
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:01 pm

vincendadiaz

International Performer
International Performer
you bought the bought of it?
rich man i guess Rich

for yourself opinion, which one you like the most?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:16 pm

yuujin_21

Administrator
Administrator
I like both i guess.Can't really choose.They're different.

"Bokaru HARUNA desu!"
"Gitaa MAMI desu!"
"Beesu TOMOMI desu!"
"Doraamusu RINA desu!"
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:26 pm

bemnage

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.youtube.com/user/bemnage?feature=mhum
@asuna wohoo! i like the bass solo too!

well i believe that they had made great songs! the bass line seems nice and great!
guitars are great too and the drums makes me wanna learn drums too
PB seems to be much more better than the first one and the pics are great!

this album is certainly worth the money

credits to lale [=3

TOMO in AFAX
TOMO: We went to the night safari. Hippopotamus.... you know? very very very......... smelly. I die.
LOL
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:25 pm

phoenixnumber1

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Your review made me lol. Nice One

The album i think shows a different stage in their musical...journey, with an overall more pop, girly sound. The instrumental performance was great and showed real improvement since Best Scandal. The vocals were also well done, and I like that Tomomi and Mami got to sing whole songs by themselves.

"Everybody Say Yeah" has a great catchy riff and beat, but the chorus really is not rock and reminds me too much of Bratz franchise albums (which I am ashamed to say I totally got into when i was younger). As an opener, it doesn't compare to SCANDAL BABY, which was an awesome tune i liked immediately.

I like the singles, Taiyou, Shunkan and Nami, but Shunkan is the best by far, probably the best song on the album for me.

Houkago 1H is cute and pop, and the keyboard and Tomo's voice really give it the afterschool teatime sound. The melody is catchy, but i can't see it bringing the live house down. Hi-Hi-Hi is pretty rock-sounding, reminding me a little of Hoshi No Furu Yoru Ni, and the bass solo is great, but i doesn't attract me that much.

Shoujo M was unexpected, and kind of 80's sounding, with the riff and electro. I don't know how they'd pull it off live, though. Mami's singing was impressively strong and in tune all the way through, but I am kind of disappointed in Yuichi Tajika for this album.

GIRLism is another Bratz track, though Haruna's voice sounds awesomely hot. After Shoujo S, Shoujo M and now this, I'd say they are pretty into girl power.

Playboy Part II is one of my favourite new tracks, with an catchy beat and bassline and riff. This song is the sort I can see from big poprock bands and makes me go Cool Walk
Hello! Hello! also gives me the same impression, though i don't like it as much. Also, the title doesn't stand out enough.

After listening a couple of times, I really like Aitai as well. The chorus is memorable and the song perfectly crafted. Perfect Haruna song, not so much for Tomomi.

Sayonara My Friend - somewhat cheesy ballad with the lalas, but not the worst ballad out there. I like the verses and the beginning sounds cool. Goes well as a trio with Koshi Tantan and Midnight Television to balance out the rock.

Overall, not bad album with some definite highlights, but the average song quality is not as high as that for Best Scandal i think, although that might be because i don't remember my first Best Scandal listen and i haven't listened to these enough. Definitely, Temptation Box is 1. More pop 2. More girly 3. Less rock than Best Scandal. I will probably grow to love all these songs in the next few months, since it took me a while to like the Best Scandal songs too.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:20 am

asuna

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://thebudgetgeek.blogspot.com
^ i did get the same impression - more pop, more girly and less rock

maybe they're eyeing a wider market - mainstream pop fans

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:28 pm

yuujin_21

Administrator
Administrator
Well,sometimes they're listed as pop-rock anyways,i think they veer between these two genres but sticking to the all-instruments kinda factor.

"Bokaru HARUNA desu!"
"Gitaa MAMI desu!"
"Beesu TOMOMI desu!"
"Doraamusu RINA desu!"
Back to top Go down