SCANDAL's Music is in Lipsynch?
Posted on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Meow2x

Caless Student
Caless Student
I hope u guyz don't get angry or think of this as a negative comment hehe.. just wanna ask something..

I've observed in almost all of the T.V performances of Scandal (meaning performances on shows and any other performances thats for television broadcasting) the music is recorded and the only live is there voices, i have observed this in there live nanka buttobase, namida no regret and taiyou story performances..

Just wanna ask if my observation is true? and is this normal in Japan?

Back to top Go down

Re: SCANDAL's Music is in Lipsynch?
Posted on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:22 pm

yuujin_21

Administrator
Administrator
In this case this is not called lipsynch,it's singing along to a intrsumental recording of the song.In shows like Music Japan i think they just play their instruments for effect,no sound comes out of the amps.But the singing is live,though.

What i dun understand is why they dun let the artists play live.Too much hassle? /shrugs

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Bokaru HARUNA desu!"
"Gitaa MAMI desu!"
"Beesu TOMOMI desu!"
"Doraamusu RINA desu!"
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:24 pm

Meow2x

Caless Student
Caless Student
EugeneAng wrote:In this case this is not called lipsynch,it's singing along to a intrsumental recording of the song.In shows like Music Japan i think they just play their instruments for effect,no sound comes out of the amps.But the singing is live,though.

What i dun understand is why they dun let the artists play live.Too much hassle? /shrugs

ohh yeah, thats what i meant.. i just can't find any word to express, so i just use "lip synching" hehe xori..

yah thats my point too, i mean they can play it live more clearly and more powerful.. i just wonder why they cannot let that happen hehe..

ohh well so my observation is right hehe

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:57 pm

macdyne73

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I have noticed this as well.

Using a minus-1 (instrumental) track for small stuff like TV shows and mall concerts are common. People do it everywhere.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Raizer

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
wouldn't it sound weird that the instrument is recorded? For the guitar and bass its easy but if Rina hits the drums the people would notice right!?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:31 pm

Jerec

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Yes, it is a mostly instrumental track with vocals and possibly drums being live. Everyone does this and it does annoy me, so I usually don't watch performances on those music shows.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:19 am

yagiza

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
well, it was obvious in one of their music japan performances where they performed Shoujo S and still using the "dancing in the rain choreo". Were they actually playing their instruments with cables connected, they will get electrocuted lol.
As for the other performances, i don't see the reasons why they didn't play the instruments though Onion Smoker

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rina Suzuki fanboy number one.
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:03 pm

rreizend

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://theflyinglemon.wordpress.com
well basically music shows like Music Japan is meant for promoting artists, so having the risk of messing up, the producers decided not to let them perform an "actual" live, so that the artists would look good to the public and make the go "hey that band's good".

well that's my thought on this anyway.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:42 am

Vapour Trail

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Well they can perform live. They're very obviously doing so in their DVD. However, fortunately my old guitar tutor was in a big band in the 70s. They had a number one single so were on a lot of shows and he told me that it is common for sake of ease for them to use playback and have the band pretend to perform. There is no setting up or sound checking to be done and so forth. With popular acts playing on small shows for promotional reason this is quite common.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:57 pm

daruid

Caless Student
Caless Student
I also noticed it while watching the making of Taiyou to kimi ka egaku story PV, they were just dancing and singing silently while recorded music is playing. However, even though it is true, still the way they perform live is just as the same quality or even much better as we can hear in their PV and recorded musics unlike the other band who are just recording dependent but perform poorly when it comes to live performance.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:50 pm

Raizer

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
well they dont really play on their pv you should see nanka butsu toba se

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:36 pm

Ronrinesu

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://www.ai-no-storia.com/
Yep I was wondering the same thing. Actually I started doubting they can really play these instruments because I see a lot of their "lives" ain't real lives. And I kinda don't have much respect of bands who don't play live.

You are a drop in the rain,
just a number not a name

And you don't see it
You don't believe

Blog ♒ DeviantART ♒ Tumblr ♒ MyAnimeList ♒ Last.fm 

♒ Ask.fm
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:03 pm

Vinimin

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
I reckon its a time thing.
I dont think they really have the time to prepare and practice just for a short performance because think about how busy their schedules must be!
Practicing and preparing all the equipment is very time consuming and it would be like alotta effort wasted on one short performance

It doesn't bother me much because I know they have the talent to play live when they do :3
but yh, the drums, are they live? tht baffles me XD

Kimi ni aitai, ima aitai. Nemure nai yoru mo, yume no naka de. Zutto, nee zutto. Ukande kiete yuku memory~
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:26 pm

Jerec

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
It's likely a time issue. Performances on these shows also tend to be a shortened version of the song they're promoting.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:45 am

pa1nz

Caless Student
Caless Student
you know guys it takes a lot of effort to arranged and setup the instruments.. especially on shows like that.. think of it... they arranged the setup for a lot of minutes and after that they should do soundcheck.. so it will take a lot of commercials and time to do that... and just after 1 or 2 songs they will just removed it.. its really a waste of time.. so even the artist wants to play the instruments live they cant because of the time and effort... but if you want to hear them play live as in live... either go to their concert or something like that...

in short its not their faut to do that. hahahaha
so dont blame them...
they are aso great when you see them playing live... even though i dont see it yet... but my friend those... huhuhuhu she just tell me stories about it... i wish i could go to japan..

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:35 am

Kotsuki

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
EugeneAng wrote:In this case this is not called lipsynch,it's singing along to a intrsumental recording of the song.In shows like Music Japan i think they just play their instruments for effect,no sound comes out of the amps.But the singing is live,though.

It is true that certain places have busy schedule and it is too much hassle to set up everything. Besides we KNOW scandal can play their own songs XD the singing is live tho Happy

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:08 am

danny_warfield

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://www.warriorsofterrestria.wordpress.com
i guess if a concert that also included th real sound check up I guess it gonna need full 1 day to finish the concert altough the song played in concert just 5 or 6 song.. Just IMHO

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dear GOD, I promise, I'll become a good boy, so when I die, I could enter the heaven, and in there I could met and own the goddesses like HARU, MAMI, RINA and TOMO Please

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:44 am

alrick13

Not sure in the financial arrangements in a TV guesting. I'm just speculating that the talent fee rate for a live performance is higher than the Minus One performance so the producers opt to the latter since they are guesting multiple artist in a single show episode...

And I agree with pa1nz it takes a lot of equipment setting for a full live performance, especially for a successive performance for different artist with different sound type.

SCANDAL x miwa
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:57 pm

yuizone

Caless Student
Caless Student
not much artist live in tv show.

the reason is they dont do concert , they just come to promote cd .

less manuface so less money.

anyway scandal d0 lot of live concert outside tv show .

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:52 am

billyboy

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://beleloy.tumblr.com/
i've watched them a couple of times where they instrument sync..but it doesn't degrade them,, they usaully do it on tv shows,, where they never show the audience( i noticed it)...... and you can easily know it if they are syncing if the MAMI, TOMOMI, AND HARUNA , doesn't have their effects board placed in front of them... (well some bands really don't put their effect boards in front),,but in scandal's case,, if they are performing live,, the setup is,, with their effect board( if they play live),,,no effect board otherwise..

Cool Walk

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Raizer

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
well they actually play on their live shows on live houses and even on animax musix, theres a part where in the end of shunkan sentimental where i think mami's finger slipped while playing, if it is recorded even if her fingers slipped too much on the strings the guitars will sound right, but it made a different sound, so i think they really just do it on tv

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Paladinoras

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
TV appearances and live concerts are very different mind you. Live concerts generally involve actual playing, no question, because well..it's a concert. TV appearances are less relevant because generally, their performances are shorter than the full song and it's pretty much just recorded, so why bother '.'

Please, call me Pally. XD
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:09 pm

yuujin_21

Administrator
Administrator
^ I think asuna told me once that Muse,an English rock band,had such a TV programme like this before,meaning faking playing the instruments and stuff.I think he told me they were disgusted with the idea and they did ridiculous stuff while playing that made it super obvious that they were not playing their instruments.

My point is,it's a TV show.If the artist(s) wants to play their song,maybe a simple playback will do.Don't even bother getting any amps or drumsets or instruments out,saves all of the hassle.The artists know that it's playback music that they're hearing/playing,the hosts know that,the audience knows that,everyone knows that.You want to see the artist play?Go to a concert.Nothing can be discerned or judged by such "lives".It's pointless for me really.

's what i think of the whole thing.Take it on board if you wish.

"Bokaru HARUNA desu!"
"Gitaa MAMI desu!"
"Beesu TOMOMI desu!"
"Doraamusu RINA desu!"
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:16 am

asuna

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://thebudgetgeek.blogspot.com
^ the video in question

in case ur wondering, the vocalist/guitarist (matt bellamy) is playing the drums, the drummer (dominic) is playing the bass and singing, and the bassist (chris) is playing guitar and keyboards

absolutely hilarious stuff, they're awesome

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:24 pm

gelion

Caless Student
Caless Student
i believe PV is just PV...they just making the video nicer.........
so far, i see their live and concert are quite real......
nothing to be ashame......most MTV/PV is the same.......

Back to top Go down