Indie Artist
01. Roppongi Shinju by Ann Lewis
02. Koibito ga Santa Claus by Matsutoya Yumi
03. SINKY-YORK by JITTERIN'JINN
04. Rock 'n' Roll Widow by Yamaguchi Momoe
05. DAYDREAM by JUDY AND MARY
06. Sunny Day Sunday by Sentimental Bus
07. secret base ~Kimi ga Kureta Mono~ by ZONE

Being that this is the #1 fan site for SCANDAL I'm pretty sure that there will be an overwhelming positive response for our girls. But I put it to you anyways. I searched You Tube for the originals and found all except Matsutoya Yumi's "Koibito ga Santa Clause". I enjoyed JITTERIN'JINN , Sentimental Bus, and of course ZONE, but I think SCANDAL's versions of ALL the songs were stronger and better.

Back to top Go down

Re: R-GIRLS's ROCK: Originals vs SCANDAL
Posted on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:29 am

bigOeyez

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
you can't really say it's better than the originals though... truthfully there wouldn't be an R-Girl's cover album without the original songs, so they're all stand alone in respects to each other...

I get what you're saying that you prefer SCANDAL's versions, but it's like the whole viewpoint of the "GLEE" albums... yes the GLEE albums are great and yes they do sell plenty of copies, but all their songs are just covers of other #1 songs...

hurts me to hear kids nowadays tarnish the original artists by saying "OH! you mean that song from GLEE?"... *face palm*

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Quitters fall down and stay down... Winners fall down and keep rolling"

"Drummers have stamina!!!" - Pedro Jimenez

"Oh! Ah you! Metal Boy!" - Rina
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:32 am

Plutonium

International Performer
International Performer
Let's just leave the secret base one out of this thread, we've been over that one a bajillion times already. =Dp

I think there's still a thread on that somewhere. Tongue

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:12 am

Noodles

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
http://atarashiimusic.com
I listened to Sunny day sunday but I very much rather the SCANDAL version, both are great but I dunno, SCANDAL's sounds more modern or something like that.

Video here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:23 am

yuujin_21

Administrator
Administrator
Welllllll....for me it's quite simple.I've listened to some of the originals,and i think that they're not bad.but personally i'm a guy who prefers big,fat distortion in guitars and a fast drum beat,so i'd have to go for SCANDAL's version,especially for songs like Roppongi Shinjuu and Rock'n Roll Widow.

Still!Like bigOeyez said,there wouldn't be any covers without the original,so i respect the originals too.

And i think i'm too distortion-oriented for my own good LOL

"Bokaru HARUNA desu!"
"Gitaa MAMI desu!"
"Beesu TOMOMI desu!"
"Doraamusu RINA desu!"
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:27 pm

rock_chick

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
i've only heard the original version of Roppongi Shinju and i'd say i prefer scandal's version.but as for DAYDREAM which we have heard before R-girls rock,i still sort of prefer JUDY AND MARY's vesion somehow.i don't know why but i really like her voice,it's tough to beat that
and also sunny day sunday.i like the original version better

Last edited by rock_chick on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Paladinoras

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I pretty much like most of SCANDAL's covers more. But as some members have said, there's no real way to compare the two versions because they stand alone. Most of the covered songs were in the 80s and factors come into play, such as the music effects back then and overall recording quality. I scoured through youtube for the older songs and the recording quality was shit tbh lol.

By that virtue, then SCANDAL's is just better. But as I said, there's no real way to compare. Mainly because all of us are more used to SCANDAL's style of guitar riffs and voices.

Please, call me Pally. XD
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:50 pm

asuna

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://thebudgetgeek.blogspot.com
u can't really compare the covers with the originals...

during the time those original songs were released, their kind of musical style was all the rage then, hence their popularity

to us, the new generation, naturally the original songs would sound a little passe. its like playing golden oldies to a teenager who's into justin bieber (ok bad example)

SCANDAL rearranged their cover versions to resonate better with the current generation of music listeners, hence its quite obvious that we'd find their versions "better". ask those who were from the previous "era" and they'd find the originals "better".

so i'd like to think SCANDAL's versions are a way of refreshing those old songs, giving them a breath of fresh air, as well as exposing younger listeners to the music of the previous generation. its also form a respect for the original artiste.

if u asked me, i actually preferred the original versions, simply because that "old school" feeling is something you can't find in music nowadays. and yes, i like oldies, because i lived through that era as well Tongue

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:13 pm

yuujin_21

Administrator
Administrator
Well......We'll find out what the older generation says when my teacher has had a listen to R-Girl's Rock,and most of the songs covered were popular during his youth.We'll say what he says,eh? Tongue

"Bokaru HARUNA desu!"
"Gitaa MAMI desu!"
"Beesu TOMOMI desu!"
"Doraamusu RINA desu!"
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:22 am

Goldenarms

International Performer
International Performer
nothing beats the original. no one can sing it better than it's original artist.
I'm not saying that SCANDAL is not good enough to do those revival songs but
the original artist is still the best than the one who do a cover of their song.

like a Michael Jackson song, do any of you guys know somebody who can sing his song better?
i know there is a lot of great singers out there but no one does it better than the King of Pop himself.

the same thing in doing a cover song i still prefer the original than the revival.

guys this is just my opinion ok! we're all SCANDAL fans here so you don't have to bash me or something for saying this Peace Onion

Haruna Makes My World Go Round
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:03 am

macdyne73

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
A long, long, long time ago, the seminal British rock band Def Leppard said there are two ways to cover a song. You either:

a) Cover it note for note

or

b) Change is completely.

Obviously, the girls went for option b and boy did they do a good job. Especially Rock & Roll Widow, they totally changed that song. The new one rocks very, very hard.

I like well done covers. Comparing originals and covers is a good sport but there's not much point to it when you really think about it. The same songs they may be but done in a different way, they may as well as be different songs.

I think the old and new both have their merits. To be fair, I have heard some truly awful covers but in the case of R Girls Rock, the girls did justice to all of the originals. Well done and bravo!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:52 pm

chiy102

International Performer
International Performer
Yes, I don't think anyone can compare anything that cannot be put to the test together side by side (in the same time and space domain).

People and things change over time. People learn from the past, and improvements (that is subjective, depends on people's view on what is good and bad, but I'm not dwelling on that) are made. What Scandal can do better than the original artists could not is also because they have the chance to do so since they are the later generation. If we cannot give the original artists the chance to do what Scandal is doing, than we cannot say they are worse.

We can of course have our preferences, but I don't think it would be fair to the original artists if we were to say Scandal's cover is better. We can only say we like Scandal's version more.

Just sharing my view. (^w^)

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:08 am

kylelaluces

International Performer
International Performer
http://kylefranzlaluces.blogspot.com/
Here's my two cents:

I'd like to look at it the other way around. No, there isn't any competition between the originals and the covers. But rather, like what asuna had said, the covers expose us to the music of the previous generation. They may perhaps even lead us to appreciate the originals even more.

I'd also like to think that SCANDAL, themselves, don't wish to out-do the originals, but instead just play the songs in their own way as a form of appreciation for the originals. "R" stands for "Respect", after all. And this is probably the goal that the band wishes to accomplish: respect from them by performing the covers, and respect from us by our appreciation of not only the covers but the originals as well.

:)

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:42 am

propglenn

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
If you want to know the opinion of someone from another generation then that's me. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and the originals were my generation. I didn't mean any disrespect to the originals, I was just saying that I prefer SCANDAL's versions. To me, SCANDAL sounds like they're from the 70-80's anyways. Just good rock and roll, you know. Nothing over produced, over synthesized sounding.

Kylelaluces brings up the point of "respect". The originals will always be there for us to enjoy and SCANDAL paid the biggest respect by totally honoring their songs. hehe, I said "totally".

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:56 pm

LieAnn

International Performer
International Performer
I agree with all of you guys! And I'd like to add, it's not a matter of who sang first or which version is better. 'Cause like humans and everything that has life, music has an "evolution" too. And evolution can turn into something good or bad. It's just that in R-Girl's Rock, these songs (which is really good in the first place) evolved into something good--no, something great, right? And in our case, SCANDAL, or other band we like who covered any song, introduced us to songs we wouldn't even bother to hear before right?

Anyway, as a SCANDAL fan, I really like their version 'cause their cover gave justice to the original ones (and they retained the oldies spirit of the song, especially Sinky York) and being an oldies enthusiast, I really like listening to the original songs in R-Girl's Rock. But of course, I belong to the younger generation so if I had to choose, I'll choose the cover ones.. Amazed

もっと、もっと、もっと、もっと、もっと声が聞きたいのに
何で、何で、何で、何で届かない
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:17 am

yurisaku

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://yurisaku14.blog.fc2.com
well for me both the originals and the SCANDAL version are good with respect to the time when these songs were released.. in the case of the originals, those styles were very popular way back.. and with SCANDAL's rendition of the song, they made it more modern for the modern audience ^___^

userbar by KaitoKid
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:46 pm

qx123

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Can only compare Secret Base as i dont really know the other originals...

Probably Scandal edition is never comparable to Zone version ...... Zone version is really a classic... miyu takayo combined very well and maiko mizuho too.. in Scandal version there is really only Haruna most of the time with Tomomi taking takayo part at times and a small portion of Mami...

Anyway i love Zone and i love Scandal too - I enjoyed Scandal secret base too.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:07 pm

blitzyboyfool

Caless Student
Caless Student
i listen both the versions but all i can say is that there is no way the two versions can be compared.... its not which i like better but you like it or not

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:00 am

bleachnlife

International Performer
International Performer
I think Scandal gave some of the songs more a rockier sound. Like sinky york it sounds different since Haruna's voice is much deeper than the singer of that song (I don't know what her name is) and theres more guitars playing... some of them I like the originals like Sinky York, but originals are always originals same goes for the covers.

SCANDAL Haruna Happy SCANDAL Mami Nice One SCANDAL Tomomi  LOL  SCANDAL Rina UHUH! SCANDAL
SCANDAL brightens my everyday

Back to top Go down