Sukyandaru [Page 1 of 1]

Sukyandaru
Posted on Thu May 19, 2011 6:37 pm

Belz...

Banned
Banned
So, in Japan they call SCANDAL "Sukyandaru", or "スキャンダル". I was wondering if anybody knew why it isn't "Sukandaru", which is closer to the original English French "Scandale".

"スキャンダル" turns up other results from Google, so I guess this is the way they Nipponised that word in the first place, but it seems like an odd choice to me. Anyone know why this is the case ?

If this is in the wrong place, gome !

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Re: Sukyandaru
Posted on Thu May 19, 2011 8:18 pm

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
Mmmm...You have me interested, I shall do some research !
I have asked 3 friends in Japan and they said they call 'Scandal'
Scandal because that is what is says on Rina's bass drum, but I
do understand what you mean.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu May 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Belz...

Banned
Banned
You have 3 friends in Japan ? Can I have 1 ? I'll pay for it. Tongue

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu May 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Noodles

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
http://atarashiimusic.com
Mhh... i would understand Sukandaru because its the japanese pronunciation of the word SCANDAL in english... but I would guess Sukyandaru is the Japanized word?
Meh I have no clue rofl

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu May 19, 2011 8:41 pm

wat

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
スキャンダル is the dictionary entry for "scandal."

"スカ" would be pronounced as "ska" (as in the music genre), which does not reflect the common english pronunciation of "scandal."

so in that respect "スキャ" is the best approximation.

Just an educated guess, you may want to refer to someone who is more qualified here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I AM GIRAFFE!
damatte0924: Delirious now. May become like that later. Oh wait, it is now.
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu May 19, 2011 9:03 pm

Belz...

Banned
Banned
@Wat: I suspected that it was in the dictionary. But I don't get your pronounciation explanation. Maybe in LA you pronounce "scandal" not quite like we do. Tongue But since I'm a native French speaker I might've missed something. Do you really say "skiandal" ?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu May 19, 2011 11:16 pm

wat

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
lol no we don't say "skiandal." i think you can hear the difference here if you click on "listen":

so キャ is an attempt to emulate the sound of the shallower "a" in "scandal" which you can't get if you use カ.

if you say "skiandal" fast enough, you can hide the "i" pretty well.

the french "scandale" isn't really relevant because etymology doesn't matter in japanese loan words.

Confused Onion

I AM GIRAFFE!
damatte0924: Delirious now. May become like that later. Oh wait, it is now.
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu May 19, 2011 11:34 pm

Belz...

Banned
Banned
Hey, lay off my French Wink Prettiest language in the world.

I get what you mean, now. It could also have been transliterated to "sukendaru" when you think about it.

Danke.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri May 20, 2011 9:39 pm

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
I have been told by some Japanese friends that in Japan their name is
usually pronounced as Scan-dale, as in 'over hill and dale' !
As you know many Japanese bands like to add some English words to their
songs and T shirts because they think it looks cool !

But beware of the T-shirts for foreigners sold in Tokyo that read
'Big nosed foreigner' in Japanese !
People buy them and then wonder why everyone in the bar is laughing !

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri May 20, 2011 11:24 pm

320x200

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I'm not sure why it's written that way but when I was in Japan for their shows I overheard heard a lot of people saying "scandal". It sounded like the english pronunciation, but with a little Japanese accent of course. The most noticeable difference was the tendency for people to say "scandalu" instead of cutting their L short. When I talked I said "scandal" as I normally would, and honestly I think that was the easiest part of my terribly poor Japanese speech for people to understand. lol

"Scandal" was written in english in the cases I saw it written down.

Social networks: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat May 21, 2011 12:09 am

Jibba

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.youtube.com/user/xJibba?feature=mhee
320x200 wrote:I'm not sure why it's written that way but when I was in Japan for their shows I overheard heard a lot of people saying "scandal". It sounded like the english pronunciation, but with a little Japanese accent of course. The most noticeable difference was the tendency for people to say "scandalu" instead of cutting their L short. When I talked I said "scandal" as I normally would, and honestly I think that was the easiest part of my terribly poor Japanese speech for people to understand. lol

"Scandal" was written in english in the cases I saw it written down.

The reason for Japanese people saying "scandalu", it's because in the Japanese language there is no L sound. Hence they pronounce 'scandal' as 'sukyandaru'. So for example: when they pronounce words such as 'really' they tend to say "Rear-ri".

@topic
It's pretty much as wat and others have already said, スキャンダル is the way the English word SCANDAL is written in Katakana. You'd have to ask the higher-ups who contributed to the official Japanese language as to why it is スキャンダル instead of スカンダル. Whatever is agreed upon by whoever decides how to write foreign words in Katakana becomes the norm.
For example: radio in Japanese is pronounced ラジオ (Rajio), I always tend to get this wrong in my school essays as I seem to always write レーヂオ(Redio) or something along those lines.

Hope that answers your question, It's kind of like English words have their own way of being said in Japanese, sometimes regardless of how they are pronounced in English or other languages.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down