What do you think of Scandal PVs in general ?
Posted on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:20 pm

Belz...

Banned
Banned
In [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], alrick13 argues that SCANDAL's PVs are not good enough to promote SCANDAL properly.

I wanted to read what other posters here think without getting too off-topic on the other thread. And here's what I think :

Their PVs are somewhat minimalist in the sense that they mostly show the girls playing against some cute backdrop. I can't say if it's a good thing or not, but I don't dislike it. In fact, I think most music videos from other groups are similar. Do I think it's doing a disservice to the band ? No. I don't think a band's success hinges on the extravagance of their music videos. In fact, music videos are more of a side-line. You see them a few times on TV, maybe, but it's the music that sells.

Alrick also says that those PVs do not satisfy hardcore fans. I don't think most companies care about hard core fans, but more about casual fans, and the new ones they can "convert". Trying to satisfy hardcode fans is usually an exercise in failure.

Mikan argues in that same thread that the videos don't do justice to SCANDAL. Considering how beautiful they look in them, and how much SCANDAL is banking on the fact that all four girls are very attractive, I think that isn't a very fair thing to say.

Opinions ?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Re: What do you think of Scandal PVs in general ?
Posted on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:30 am

DUL7

International Performer
International Performer
I think imo it's not on the budget but on the concept of the PV. For example, Pride seems a little uninspired and rushed. While on the other hand, Cute has a very good and attractive concept which is simple but gets the job done. And, looking back, Shoujo S, imo was a very good PV which really did what it was supposed to even though it didn't make use of expensive sfx, etc.

So, I think it should be a balance of production budget AND a good concept. And I gotta say that yes, it does feel like SCANDAL isn't given a little justice with PV's that are a little uninspred/rushed. They are cute, gorgeous AND talented but lets face it, most people, at first get attracted to what they see, right? After they are interested, that's the time that they will discover what they've been missing. ^_^

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:23 am

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
@Belz
I am glad you started this topic as it saved me doing it !

I asked a Japanese friend who is also a huge Scandal fan for her opinion.
She said that people come to Tokyo and see the businessmen in their grey suits and the children in their school uniforms and think it is just like the west.
Japan only borrows what they like or what is forced on them by the west, inside the western clothes the people are still Japanese.

In western PV's the band wants it to be if not bigger at least better than any other band's PV but that is not the Japanese way !
Most members will have heard the Japanese saying "The nail that stands up will be hammered down" !
There is huge pressure in Japan to conform and be the same.

If Scandal produced a lavish singing and dancing PV their Japanese fans would be upset because it would be suggesting they think they are better than the other bands ( Which we know is true ! )
But it would be considered bad manners.
Also Japanese confidence took a huge blow from being pushed in third place in the list of richest countries by China and of course having their worst natural disaster this century.

It would considered bad taste to lavish money on a J-Pop PV.
Yasushi Akimoto of AKB48 fame has got around this problem by producing 2 PV's, one for the home market and one for the west.
But with over 60 members if you count the undergirls AKB48 is not a band but a huge tourist attraction.

I will be interested to read other members opinion's ?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:12 pm

DUL7

International Performer
International Performer
^wow.. thanks for this insight man.. I didn't know about stuff like that.. And the thing about the recent earthquake and spending lavishly has a good point.. Never thought about that!

And the thing about this..
tonymiller wrote:If Scandal produced a lavish singing and dancing PV their Japanese fans would be upset because it would be suggesting they think they are better than the other bands ( Which we know is true ! )
But it would be considered bad manners.
I think this way of thinking is very Japanese.. And I guess that explains it.. UHUH!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:31 pm

bleachnlife

International Performer
International Performer
Well in general, I think their pretty much the same. The band playing, doing a little choreographed dance and hardly any other scenes. I mean obvious they have the advantage that their cute, young, etc so they don't really have to put much into it but to actually promote the band I think they should go further. I'm not saying be like lady gaga but maybe a story line to it like Namida no regret so the viewer gets what the song is about approximately. I've watched also all of the video (like most fans have) so I'm commenting from a wider perspective. What you said Belz about Scandal being the Minimalist of PVs is quite true.

I was slighty watching Pride PV during class one day from my laptop and my friend next to me who had no idea Scandal thought that the pink sparkles falling down whilst they played was weird. I was offended but thinking about it, it was weird. Who would play under falling confetti?

Pinch
O and maybe they should express themselves individually, when my friend saw my Scandal wallpaper (shunkan Sentimental uniform) she called them quadruplets... a bit embarrassing... quite true as well... UHUH!

SCANDAL Haruna Happy SCANDAL Mami Nice One SCANDAL Tomomi  LOL  SCANDAL Rina UHUH! SCANDAL
SCANDAL brightens my everyday

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:57 pm

drusolis

Caless Student
Caless Student
I'd be more interested in the PVs if they did have more of a story to them - something that visually helped me understand the song, but I enjoy the PVs that they make anyway. While it would be nice for the girls to be individualized a little more in the PVs, I think the idea is to promote them as a cohesive group so while they may have slightly different trimmings on their uniforms or different colored ties, they all dress pretty much the same in each PV and I get that. It actually didn't take me long to be able to distinguish who is who when I first learned about the group.

-Dru
"Dreams are always fleeting things that seem to disappear in the wind." ~Scandal, "Haruka"
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Belz...

Banned
Banned
bleachnlife wrote:I was slighty watching Pride PV during class one day from my laptop and my friend next to me who had no idea Scandal thought that the pink sparkles falling down whilst they played was weird. I was offended but thinking about it, it was weird. Who would play under falling confetti?

This is the second time I hear something about those confetti. It's just a styllistic choice. They don't bother me at all. And pink ? They _are_ girls, let's not forget. Rina's drums are pink with sparkles, Mami's old guitar had kitsch stickers all over it, etc. I mean, have you seen Rina's nails ? I think it's normal to expect them to use other girly gimmicks. Tongue

I agree that Namida was a step in the right direction, as was CUTE! Both were more interesting in various ways while still showcasing the girls' amazing looks.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:41 pm

chiy102

International Performer
International Performer
I enjoyed watching the PVs without giving much thought on the lavishness or the lack of it. I get to see the girls, who are cute and attractive in their own ways, playing the instruments which I think are cool and I get to listen to the songs that appeal to me.

As for the appeal to new fans, who is to say the PVs will or will not be liked? The confetti may look weird, but hey, it caught their attention right? Maybe he may go on to like them, maybe not. A lavish PV may not be popular either. I think its not about the budget, but more of the style or something along those lines. And style is again subjective.

Just sharing my opinion~~

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:27 pm

haruhiyuu

International Performer
International Performer
http://koudai-na-sekai.blogspot.com/
some are good, some are bad D:

CUTE and Namida is really good since it gives off a different feeling on the girls

still Shoujo S is the my best choice since its the 1st PV i saw and its really catchy.
i raped my replay button on that PV

Eki x Tomia x Miyuko ♥

userbar by reo (y)
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:55 pm

Belz...

Banned
Banned
It just occured to me that, in addition to saying what we don't like, we should actually suggest how to correct the problem.

I you think that the PVs are inadequate, what would you do differently ?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:01 pm

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
In my humble opinion I think their PV's are fine !

I like to see the girls sing and play and like you I like to see what new
guitars they have, as long as they do not lose their clothes like AKB48
did in the "Heavy rotation" PV they are fine by me !

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:07 am

DUL7

International Performer
International Performer
Belz... wrote:It just occured to me that, in addition to saying what we don't like, we should actually suggest how to correct the problem.

I you think that the PVs are inadequate, what would you do differently ?

Let's see.. For the Pride PV, I think the song could have been a very good basis for a PV that shows, lets say their "Pride"? What if they showed past achievements of the band like their U.S. Tour or their first one man live? This is just random thinking but it could have been much better than just the one they made if they just thought of more innovative albeit simple concepts.

tonymiller wrote:I like to see the girls sing and play and like you I like to see what new
guitars they have, as long as they do not lose their clothes like AKB48
did in the "Heavy rotation" PV they are fine by me !

I second this!

And.. for me.. I just hope that the people behind their PV's should just keep their PV's modest. They don't have to do "cheap camera shots" (which are so obvious AND awkward imo) to show how hot the girls are cause they already ARE without even trying. I'm not being a hypocrite here, I am a guy and I do enjoy AND watch.. stuff... but I don't want SCANDAL to go in that direction.. They honestly don't have to! UHUH!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:23 am

macdyne73

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Interesting thread.

Up to this point, I haven't really encountered a SCANDAL PV that I would consider badly done. As far as SCANDAL are concerned, I think they and their team have taken the "safe" route when it comes to PV concepts. Which is fine really.

Can they do better PVs? Probably and then we have to ask, better in what sense? Editing? Concept? Camera work? Direction? Many questions.

As for their current body of work, for me the best SCANDAL PVs were for Namida no Regret which featured actual acting which was a real treat to watch, Shunkan which captured the essence of the song exactly for me and Taikimi for great pacing and nice camera work.

My 2 sen.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:48 pm

alrick13

As I stated before their PVs are not bad, we all have to agree that they are good from their indies to major label songs but the point is, good is not enough for them especially now in this stage of their careers... Now is the time that they should be making it big, and in my opinion PV production is an integral part for their success.

Learning is the first step in liking, and in the market liking more or less translates to buying

Yes it is music, it's based on hearing as William Glasser said we learn 20% from what we hear, 30% from what we both see and hear. The 10% spread can be the determinant of additional thousand in sales. So why not get the whole 30% with a great song plus a great visuals (I don't mean lavish).

I don't believe that a high budgeted PV will ruin things. I'm not suggesting a Lady Gaga type PV, what I'm saying is that with more resources it opens up more possibility to do things differently.

For me the PV that I felt is really insufficient in terms of production is Pride, if they are still an indie band then it is a great PV but they are already in the majors. I just felt that the PV lack the effort and concept considering how inspiring the song lyrics is, especially the lighting and pink backdrop.

Maybe they should do more on location shoots, or try a story PV like YUI's Summer Song - Gloria. And if they can, hire another production team, as like what they did in their second photobook, the results is amazing compared to the first.

Scandal is not only a great band but also great individuals, few girls' band achieve such harmony and balance among the members. Most band have the vocalist as the forefront and the rest fades away in the background but not in Scandal's case. Anything short of being great at this point in their careers is injustice.

hopefully Love Survive will help them climb the Oricon Charts.

SCANDAL x miwa
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Alice

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Interesting thread

Regardless of Japan way of thinking, i mean PV is creation of individu/group so IMHO there is unwarranted to think because they make good PV, they are act might and high... But i don't even know about Japan culture so i can't discuss further on this matter.

Apart from that, When I compare SCANDAL's PV with west one, i can see the pretty big difference. Almost all of west PV try to describe the meaning of song. And i think not all of them is high budget, but narrate song pretty well. And most of SCANDAL's PV is focus on the girl, to show they "cutines"(such as TAKIMI, PRIDE, CUTE, BeauTEEN, HARUKA and so on)

I really agree with this quote
DUL7 wrote:And.. for me.. I just hope that the people behind their PV's should just keep their PV's modest. They don't have to do "cheap camera shots" (which are so obvious AND awkward imo) to show how hot the girls are cause they already ARE without even trying. I'm not being a hypocrite here, I am a guy and I do enjoy AND watch.. stuff... but I don't want SCANDAL to go in that direction.. They honestly don't have to! UHUH!

And even if that is one of their selling point, they are not an idol. What they sell are they music. You know when i ask my friend to watch PRIDE PV he is WTHing... even PRIDE is really good song, their PV is like ruining their hard work. And then i searching the subbed of pride and after watch it my friend like the song very much then now he is SCANDALOUS fan.(I don't say that i dislike PRIDE PV.. I like and appreciate all of SCANDAL creation especially their song, this is only example from one of my experience introducing SCANDAL to other)

IDK if Japanese culture took part to the concept about PV. I only deplore if their fans only love them because they are hot, beauty, and cute then miss the essence of what SCANDAL want to convey through their music.

You can say that none of them are bad, but it mean none of them are epic too...
It is such unfair if I watch another Sony artist PV.(best example is MIWA's)

I know it is not easy even to make simple PV, but to aim higher, greater effort is needed also. It such a waste if SCANDAL have capability to do better but choose not to do it

joke:

To make it not that much serious, It is only my imaginary; not take it serious lol
There is 3 way of thinking after watch their PV:
1. For HMF type watcher: "Oh who are they? they are HOT Hot I will surf Internet to watch they PV, i hope they do hot pose in one of their PV"... And then the HMF only watch their PV and searching of Photo without even know the title of the song
2. For normal type watcher: "Wow, they are cute, talented and their song is good. I will try to listen their music when i go to CD store". And then only 20% of them remember it when they go to CD store.
3. For critical type watcher: "PV should be a promotion of their song.. Is this all they can got? forget it, i know another that has better PV"... And then they forget them without even listening carefully for their music.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:58 pm

Ryder Blade

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I'd have to agree that their PVs [or the ones that I have watched anyways, I haven't watched them all yet] don't really narrate the meaning of the song or anything really. It just shows SCANDAL performing and stuff like that. While I do like watching their PVs, I don't know, I think I'd like it better if their PV actually had some kind of like, plot or something.

So I guess I'm pretty neutral? xD

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:16 pm

gunnersforlife

International Performer
International Performer
http://gunners-4life.blogspot.com/
Honestly, I have been quite disappointed by two last SCANDAL PVs, "Pride" and "Haruka". I didn't say I don't like those two PVs, but for those two songs, the PVs don't reflect how good is that song. I expected "wow" PVs for Pride and Haruka, and maybe because that high expectation, I was quite disappointing when watching those two PVs.

For me, PVs like "Cute!", "BEAUTeen!", and "Taiyou to Kimi ga Egaku Story" are very eye catching, and could easily attracted many people, as some of my friends become fan of SCANDAL after I showed them "BEAUTeen!" PV. I like those two PVs as well.

I do agree with some members' opinions that what SCANDAL need is a good concept, not a big budget. Even if you have a big budget, if your concept is bad, the PV won't become good as well. For example, "Shunkan Sentimental" and "Namida no Regret". "Shunkan" shows SCANDAL's rock side, but still attractive; while "Namida no Regret" really tells us the meaning of the lyric.

thanks kaito for the userbar

16.09.2011 SCANDAL Asia Tour 2011 「Baby Action」
16.03.2013 - SCANDAL LIVE IN SINGAPORE 2013 
28.06.2014 - 29.06.14 - SCANDAL ARENA LIVE 2014 「FESTIVAL」
08.05.2015 - SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015 「HELLO WORLD」 - Singapore

Join IDSH FB Group (PM me so I can accept you!) : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:12 pm

Belz...

Banned
Banned
@Gunner... I admit Pride was very simplistic. But Haruka was classy and cute. That song isn't one of my favourites, and doesn't tell much visually, but I like its style.

EDIT:

tonymiller wrote:Japan only borrows what they like or what is forced on them by the west, inside the western clothes the people are still Japanese.

I'm not sure I agree with your choice of words, there. "Forced" ? I think the Japanese simply take what they want from the west and simply leave the rest. Pretty much what everybody does.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:13 pm

ShinjuHaruka_Ishikawa

Caless Student
Caless Student
Cool, it interprets theirs songs very well in a creative kind of way

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Mami_lover

Caless Student
Caless Student
well i think that pride was a bit like *play play play(music)* scandals habit is *play play play(music)* blah blah blah (the words on the screen) and a bit plain. but the uniform was really cool.
love survive was a cool pv with all the dancers, attractive, good lightings, they had their own clothes in their own style.
Shoju s was a good pv except for the cleaner man part.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:46 am

tomo13

International Performer
International Performer
http://tom8loz.tumblr.com/
So Many Wall Of text Sugoi!!!:D Amazed

Well All in All I can Say That All PV's Of Scandal Is Full Of Love.Love for Music:D

ToHaRiMa=SCANDAL is The Best Band Of The WORLD!!!  Rich

SCANDAL  BAND Yow!    Balloon .
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Ronrinesu

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://www.ai-no-storia.com/
I'd like to see more Story-like PVs like Namida no regret, Harukaze and Love survive. I'd like to see more different costumes. Not super crazy but something cute and not as plain as some uniforms.
Also I'd love to see the sexy part in the girls like in Love survive and SCANDAL nanka buttobase.
I think completely different costumes for each member will be amazing and will make each one of them shine more.

You are a drop in the rain,
just a number not a name

And you don't see it
You don't believe

Blog ♒ DeviantART ♒ Tumblr ♒ MyAnimeList ♒ Last.fm 

♒ Ask.fm
Back to top Go down