SCANDAL Lip Syncing? [Page 1 of 3]

SCANDAL Lip Syncing?
Posted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:10 am

pacrimguru

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I've read that Haruna lip syncs sometimes to save her voice. In what instances have you seen this? On TV show appearances, but not at lives I'm hoping, yes? When Haru lip syncs, does the rest of the band do it as well? Just curious. Anyone know?
CANTA Emmm

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Re: SCANDAL Lip Syncing?
Posted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:26 am

bleachnlife

International Performer
International Performer
From what I've seen its only Haru who does it.... Mami and Tomo sing live

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
SCANDAL Haruna Happy SCANDAL Mami Nice One SCANDAL Tomomi  LOL  SCANDAL Rina UHUH! SCANDAL
SCANDAL brightens my everyday

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:45 am

amz7250

Banned
Banned
as long haruna doesn't loose her voice i don't mind if haruna lip sync.

tnxs 2 thoseguiltyeyes

yea fam, Spraying SCANDAL 2 the world
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:34 pm

TomomixOgawa

International Performer
International Performer
Wow really? I never even noticed... does this mean she lip sync during the Singapore concert?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:55 pm

boonlenglbl

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
TomomixOgawa wrote:Wow really? I never even noticed... does this mean she lip sync during the Singapore concert?

I believe she did not lip-sync for the singapore concert..
didnt sound like she did ..

i believe she only lip-syncs when she "MUST", where her voice is coarse/bad or is having a sore throat, where she has no choice but to sync in order to 'protect' her voice..

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:31 pm

pacrimguru

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
i can't tell when she does or not. is there any example on video that someone can point out where she does? i don't mind her doing it, i'm just curious how people can tell or not. how do you guys even know?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:06 pm

ganstream1

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://www.ariefzainal.com
Watch Zushi Fes 11, Girl's Factory 11 and Mezamashi Live 2011.

"With ticket, it took us 5 minutes to get from Shiroten to Osaka Jyo-Hall. But for SCANDAL, it took them 6 years."
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:29 pm

pacrimguru

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
ok, will do, thanks. is she doing it the entire time or only with certain songs?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:33 pm

astoriasky

International Performer
International Performer
only with certain songs that ask a lot of her voice like. its usually with shunkan sentimental and scandal baby.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:03 am

thoseguiltyeyes

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
HARU doesn't lip sync all of the time; it's mainly during the choruses of songs that are probably hard to sing, and I'm sure it's only her that does it. It's kind of easy to tell which parts are lip-synced, or at least I think so. Basically if the vocals sound exactly like how they do on the CD, then it's most likely lip synced.

And I'm pretty sure she's been lip syncing at most, if not all, of their recent lives, since at AM2 she definitely did it a bunch of times. No one noticed during the actual show, of course (it's really hard to notice something like that at a live show), but listening to audio from then, it's obvious which parts she actually sang and what parts were dubbed in. Shunkan was completely lip synced, though.

Good examples would be during their Mezamashi performance this year, and you can really hear the difference during SCANDAL BABY since almost all of it is lip synced; the only part that she actually sings is the bridge (Hontou wa itsumo anata ni wakatte...). Other parts of hers that are lip synced: the first line in ESY, LOVE SURVIVE's choruses, the intro to Haruka, and TaiKimi's choruses.

2011.07.03 SCANDAL @ AM2 -Anaheim, CA
2012.03.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN @武道館
2012.11.03 SCANDAL HALL TOUR 2012 @愛知
2012.11.04 SCANDAL HALL TOUR
2012.11.10 SCANDAL @ Happy MUSIC Live 2012
2013.03.03 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 @大阪城ホール
2014.06.01 Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2014
2014.06.02 SCANDAL Fan Meeting
2015.04.25 SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015「HELLO WORLD」 -Paris, FR
2015.04.26「HW」-London, UK
2015.04.30「HW」-Essen, GER
2015.05.15「HW」-Chicago, IL
2015.05.20「HW」-Mexico City, MEX
2015.05.22「HW」-Los Angeles, CA
2015.05.23「HW」-Anaheim, CA
2016.01.12 SCANDAL ARENA TOUR『PERFECT WORLD』@武道館
2016.01.13 PERFECT WORLD
2016.05.21 Welcome Fan Meeting
2016.05.22 SCANDAL @ Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2016
2016.05.23 Farewell Fan Meeting
2016.08.21 SCANDAL 10th ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL @泉大津フェニックス
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:27 am

pacrimguru

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
thanks for the details, i'm going to take a look.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:14 am

Medios

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://luthfiadytra.wordpress.com
thoseguiltyeyes wrote:Basically if the vocals sound exactly like how they do on the CD, then it's most likely lip synced.

That is the very definition of lip sync. Just listen closely to the voice and you'll find out if they all do that. Sometimes I think even the whole song is sync'ed on their lives. One example that I find out Haru isn't syncing at all is on the Ontama Carnival 2011 when they perform CUTE! because she forgot one line of the lyrics and seemed like she had a hard time on the high notes Please

OMGWTF!
HARUNA x RINA x TOMOMI x MAMI
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:58 pm

DUL7

International Performer
International Performer
^ that is misleading Medios.. I think thoseguiltyeyes already described it clearly..

I download a lot of SCANDAL live videos in the past that I can get a hand of and they never lip synced. Recently, Mezamashi live 2011 showed HARUNA lip syncing in some parts of SCANDAL Baby (and Haruka I think?) but not all of the lyrics and not all of the songs in that live. We all know this is because of HARUNA's voice problems. The other girls have no vocal problems so they don't need to lip sync. And if you listen carefully, they don't!

Haruna in the past could sing her high parts well. Just watch ESY DVD or digging deeper, their SAKURACON 2008 performance. Haruna's vocals in those two performances I mentioned were spotless.

It's only recently that she has voice problems. I just want to make this clear so as not to mislead new fans. It is regrettable that HARUNA has to lip sync on certain occasions but if that will protect her voice, I would approve of it. And again, this only became an issue RECENTLY. Adding to that, if the videos I saw of them in their ASIA Tour are any indication, HARUNA's voice is doing well again.

Last edited by DUL7 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:40 pm

Paladinoras

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I don't see what's the big deal. SCANDAL's songs take a heavy toll on Haru, and a lot of other rock artists lip-sync as well. I'd rather hear Haru lipsync anyway compared to her forcing herself to sing and sounding like a total mess through no fault of her own.

Please, call me Pally. XD
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:56 pm

pacrimguru

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
^ um, nobody is saying its a big deal.

btw, thanks for the detailed notes jade, i can see/hear it now. i'm not very astute to these things. CANTA Shy

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:35 am

tsdiokno

Caless Student
Caless Student
pacrimguru wrote:i can't tell when she does or not. is there any example on video that someone can point out where she does? i don't mind her doing it, i'm just curious how people can tell or not. how do you guys even know?

a. [pre-recorded audio is on, live mic is off] commonly, when the performer's mouth movements do not exactly match what's coming out of the audio (slightly delayed, vocal sustains last longer in the audio when the singer already stopped sustaining her voice, singer clearing her throat or pauses because she forgot her lines while someone's still singing in the audio. etc.) or sometimes when the facial expression or the over all stage dynamics of the performer doesn't match the dynamics in the audio (performance feels strong at weak parts, feels weak at strong parts) if you know what I mean.

I know some good comedians/impersonators that can do this and lip sync really good you could swear it was their actual voice that was coming out of the audio.

b. [both pre-recorded audio and live mic is on] when there seems to be two people singing the same melody line (when there's supposed to be only one), sometimes with the former (the live voice) a bit off at some parts of the song while the latter (the recorded audio) almost sounds perfect.

c. [pre-recorded audio is on, live mic is off (2)] at some cases, when the vocals sound 100% perfect (just like out from a CD) lacking any signs of spontaneous modifications, or the slightest vocal exhaustion, etc. except when the performer is really that good - but that's subjective.

source: experience

I suspect she was lip syncing the chorus parts because a.) It sounded fuller compared to the verses, more airy compared to other parts of the song, and the dynamics were almost perfect. (note: verses, crowd prompts, etc. were all live audio)

b.) I can hear the natural reverb coming from from the venue speakers bleeding in the audio. Direct mic-ins with no effects sound drier and less roomy since they go directly in to the audio system giving the sound no time to bounce around surfaces that causes a roomy or atmospheric sound. In the chorus parts, Haru's voice became less dry and more roomy compared to the other parts which could mean the audio is coming from the venue speaker bleeds (pre-recorded guide vocal track?) and not from the mic-input (she's syncing or maybe just whispering along). Maybe the live/post-prod sound tech forgot to crank-up the sound-ins for some channels from venue speakers, including the channel for the guide vocal tracks - although they got back on track and did a swell job with SCANDAL BABY. Tomo and, specially, Mami's voice sound closer or louder, drier or less roomy because they were all coming from the mic-ins and not the venue speaker bleeds).

a haiku...

many like sushi
but i love champorado
plants and trees... he he

(i have no idea what the heck i just wrote XD)
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:35 pm

pacrimguru

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
nice dtailed breakdown tsdiokno!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:29 pm

320x200

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Anyone who was at AM2 have opinions on if that "OW!" shout during 星の降る夜に was live or pre-recorded? It's a bit of an enigma for me because I'm in the camp of being able to tell if something is lip-sync because it matches the CD audio exactly to my ears, but of course that shout isn't in the studio version of the song. :) Usually you'd think that probably makes it live, but it seems odd to me that she would be lip syncing some parts to save her voice and then throwing in live overblown shouting at other times.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:19 am

pacrimguru

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
i didn't catch the OW! i'd like to see their AM2 performance again though. what did AM2 do with the video that they shot? how come we haven't seen an of it released by AM2 or Scandal yet?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:02 am

Daz

International Performer
International Performer
Did Haru lip-sync during the Everybody Say Yeah! -Temptation Box Tour 2010- Zepp Tokyo ?? Shy

" Love feels good than smoking weed  " - Adii '14
" Love is spicy. It's delicious but makes you choke "  - Adii '14
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:36 am

thoseguiltyeyes

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
@daz1994: No, she didn't. This lip syncing thing has only been going on since around April of this year.

2011.07.03 SCANDAL @ AM2 -Anaheim, CA
2012.03.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN @武道館
2012.11.03 SCANDAL HALL TOUR 2012 @愛知
2012.11.04 SCANDAL HALL TOUR
2012.11.10 SCANDAL @ Happy MUSIC Live 2012
2013.03.03 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 @大阪城ホール
2014.06.01 Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2014
2014.06.02 SCANDAL Fan Meeting
2015.04.25 SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015「HELLO WORLD」 -Paris, FR
2015.04.26「HW」-London, UK
2015.04.30「HW」-Essen, GER
2015.05.15「HW」-Chicago, IL
2015.05.20「HW」-Mexico City, MEX
2015.05.22「HW」-Los Angeles, CA
2015.05.23「HW」-Anaheim, CA
2016.01.12 SCANDAL ARENA TOUR『PERFECT WORLD』@武道館
2016.01.13 PERFECT WORLD
2016.05.21 Welcome Fan Meeting
2016.05.22 SCANDAL @ Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2016
2016.05.23 Farewell Fan Meeting
2016.08.21 SCANDAL 10th ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL @泉大津フェニックス
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:37 am

Daz

International Performer
International Performer
@thoseguiltyeyes: oh ok thanks for the info Clap

" Love feels good than smoking weed  " - Adii '14
" Love is spicy. It's delicious but makes you choke "  - Adii '14
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:49 am

zah457

Caless Student
Caless Student
Haruna only started lip synch after Baby Action was released....she NEVER lip synch in the past...only this year.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:02 am

ShinjuHaruka_Ishikawa

Caless Student
Caless Student
HONTOU??? I never knew nor even noticed that...but I don't think Haruna does it... I believe Haruna and the rest of SUKYANDARU are honest, they sing on the spot, whether on PV or Live performances

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:12 am

macdyne73

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
PrincessLhaeinne20 wrote:HONTOU??? I never knew nor even noticed that...but I don't think Haruna does it... I believe Haruna and the rest of SUKYANDARU are honest, they sing on the spot, whether on PV or Live performances

Unfortunately it's true. Ever since Haru's voice problems came up earlier this year they've been doing it to varying degrees. It was really bad at one point a few months ago but at least now she sounds almost normal and as far as the Singapore concert went (I was there :D), it was 100% live as far as I could tell. She even tried the Haruka intro by herself, knocking it out of tune in the process the poor girl.

I was very disappointed by this as well when I discovered it but I try to put myself in their shoes and understand why they need to do it to protect the quality of their performances. They could've canceled all their live engagements and wait for Haruna to get better but I think their contractual obligations makes it more complicated.

As bad as we feel about it, I think none of us will feel as bad about this as Haruna herself.

Fingers crossed, I think I speak for all of us here when I say hopefully it's nothing permanent and Haru will return stronger than ever.

Last edited by macdyne73 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down