Scandal fanbase, how big?
Posted on Tue May 01, 2012 2:06 pm

Shark

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Yeah so not sure if there is a thread about this anywhere. But I was wondering abit about how "big" Scandal really is? Like an estimate on how many fans they have in Japan and worldwide?

I really have no clue at all. I mean I'm guessing more than 100,000 but I really don't know.

It was this video that got me to realize they are quite well known it seems. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So I just wanted to know if you people that have been with Scandal for abit can really tell how famous they are in their own country but also world wide.

Back to top Go down

Re: Scandal fanbase, how big?
Posted on Tue May 01, 2012 2:27 pm

ganstream1

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://www.ariefzainal.com
Probably around 20-30k people in Japan alone. Maybe less, maybe more. They didn't try to completely fill BUDOKAN (they opened only 8000 seats), so it's hard to tell the exact number.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"With ticket, it took us 5 minutes to get from Shiroten to Osaka Jyo-Hall. But for SCANDAL, it took them 6 years."
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue May 01, 2012 4:46 pm

macdyne73

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
100,000 people tuned in to their Ameba Studio Summit iirc so counting casual fans this is probably the ballpark figure. Of course, this is not counting foreigners but I'm guessing not as many as that.

They still have a loooooong way to go to reach idol unit numbers, which are in the millions...

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed May 02, 2012 4:07 pm

reilachii

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://reilachii.tumblr.com
^ there's no need to have millions of fans in my opinion Tongue I mean, I wish someday a sandal album will sell 200k and Moreau also to perform is bigger place such Yokohama arena all by them self. but even if the haven't the biggest fandom in their category, I think they feel happy anyway
talking about the number of fans... it's difficult to say :\ I have really no ideas

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ♪♪ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ♪♪ my english sucks (´∀`)♥
avatar+signature by me, respect it please ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed May 02, 2012 5:27 pm

sillentdx

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Physically they sell around 15-30k in singles and 50-60k in albums.
Don't know about the digital sales number, but they have two gold disc (Shoujo S and Shunkan Sentimental) for selling over 100,000 digital copies.

I don't think they will ever compare to idols (are there any instrument playing band that sell more than 1 million on release day in Japan?), but I would be delighted if they sell more than 100k physically.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed May 02, 2012 5:39 pm

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
Yeah I'd say probably 100,000 total around the world, or maybe more when you factor in illegal downloading (hard to count those people, though not really sure if we should). They're not *huge*, but they're getting to the point in Japan where most people have at least heard of them, at least in Tokyo. When I was there in March (can't believe it's been 2 months already!), we had to turn down a couple dinner invitations because of going to the show, and when we told the people who asked us who we were going to see, they said "oh, Scandal!" and kind of laughed. I don't think they were fans but they were just random people who knew who they were.

I'm always kind of shocked when I look at Japanese sales numbers, though. Even really huge acts don't sell a lot of albums compared to popular artists in the US, especially anymore. (CD sales are down in Japan in general, like here.) AKB48's last album sold 866,000 copies according to Oricon, and you *can't* get away from AKB48 in Japan. So for Scandal to be 1/10 as popular as them I think is actually pretty good.

That's why Japanese artists are expected to do so much... you can't just put out an album every couple of years and go on a tour for it and make money. You have to basically release stuff constantly, put on tours constantly, do pinup calendars, TV commercials, clothes modeling, etc.

Back to top Go down