Is SCANDAL being mishandled by Sony/Epic???
Posted on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:15 pm

barzurc

Caless Student
Caless Student
http://www.youtube.com/ryanbarrmusic
As a major SCANDAL fan, I feel that Sony/Epic should put SCANDAL on a world tour with the likes of MUSE, theKillers or some big global act. (I know it would need to be with an artist from the same label so don't even bring that up.) I'm thinking Lolapolooza in the US and the READING festival type of stuff. Money spent on their 13th single, another video, and touring all the same places may fit into the conservitive corp. money making machine; but these girls are way to entertaining and talented to be places on this slow moving train. Now before some of you reply with the facts that in a very short time they have went from playing in Osaka Castle Park to becoming one of Japans biggest acts they are still fairly unknown (this fact breaks my heart) through out the rest of the world. I am covinced that all of their short comings could be fixed if their label was more aggressive. As of now they have 3 full length albums, tons of video's, and the backing of a major label media. Do they really need more material? Another DVD to sell?? A new single??? NO! They need to be placed on the GLOBAL stage! Sony/Epic quit messing around. Spend the money on a global world tour!!! And if you scared about the return, but then out with a major act. STRIKE WHEN THE IRON IS HOT! AND SCANDAL IS HOT RIGHT NOW!!!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Is SCANDAL being mishandled by Sony/Epic???
Posted on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:28 pm

kaitanuva

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I would support a world tour if it weren't for Haru's voice. While she can sing now, I hope she gets enough rest that she can at least recover some of her voice power that's kind of lacking nowadays (you can hear it in Taiyou SCANDALOUS). I hope the damage wasn't permanent.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:02 pm

320x200

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Many times the different divisions of a record label in each country are really separate from each-other. It's probably not just a question of choice for the Japan division to have one of their bands tour with a band from another country's division when that country has their own up-and-coming artists they're trying to promote as well.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Social networks: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:09 pm

barzurc

Caless Student
Caless Student
Very good point 320x200!! I would suggest a buy in. Have SCANDALS label put up a guaranty and basically buy the opening spot of a world tour. This is done in the US all the time. As far as Haru's voice, I'm a new SCANDAL fan and didn't know she was having trouble. Could someone tell whats going on with that??

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:49 pm

kaitanuva

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I am only a diehard fan for a month and a half, so I don't know the exact details, but from what I've read SCANDAL did alot of lives in 2011, esp. the latter half. So Haru's voice became so strained that she had to have surgery to fix her vocal box. It became that she had to lipsync to preserve her voice and this persisted into the end of 2011 and maybe even the start of 2012.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 am

bleachnlife

International Performer
International Performer
kaitanuva wrote:I am only a diehard fan for a month and a half, so I don't know the exact details, but from what I've read SCANDAL did alot of lives in 2011, esp. the latter half. So Haru's voice became so strained that she had to have surgery to fix her vocal box. It became that she had to lipsync to preserve her voice and this persisted into the end of 2011 and maybe even the start of 2012.

Haruna did NOT have surgery for her vocal problems. I don't know where you got that fact from. As to the thread itself, I'm sure Sony knows how to market SCANDAL... we just need to garnish attention for ourselves for them to realise there are more fans out there than to just Asia and America... the world is far larger than that...

SCANDAL Haruna Happy SCANDAL Mami Nice One SCANDAL Tomomi  LOL  SCANDAL Rina UHUH! SCANDAL
SCANDAL brightens my everyday

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:53 pm

kaitanuva

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Yea sorry I really don't know where I heard that from or if it's even true. All I know for sure is that her voice had problems.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:56 pm

DUL7

International Performer
International Performer
Refer to this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] about Haru's vocal problems last year/earlier this year. As for the topic, I think their label is more interested in marketing them in Japan as opposed to around the world.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:16 pm

barzurc

Caless Student
Caless Student
Can someone site the source of Haruna's vocal surgery if she had surgery or not?

As far as this thread in itself, This is a valid topic as to if Sony/Epic can do a better job at getting the girls world exposure. So far, bands like IAMX can gain global attention without a major label; Therefore, it seems as if Sony/Epic have made up their mind that SCANDAL should stay localized. (Just a few Countries) To just say that Sony/Epic knows how to market SCANDAL is putting a lot of faith in a conservative corp. that are not in the business of risk.

BLEACHNLIFE (who's response seemed a little harsh) seems to suggest that we need to wait until SCANDAL themselves realize that there are more fans out there than America and Asia. This is a ridiculous statement as SCANDAL themselves have stated that they want to tour the world more. This is also naive to assume that SCANDAL has any say over their label. And if you meant the label itself, then this is what this whole thread is about. I want everyone to demand that SONY/EPIC not squander their commodity; But to invest in them and make them the biggest band in the world.

SONY/EPIC is sitting on a mountain of money made by SCANDAL (artist usually get 14%-18% after expenses and legal leaving about 40% in profit to the label)
ENDORSEMENT DEALS
ROYALTIES
CONCERT TICKET SALES
MERCH. SALES
LICENCING
PERSONAL APPEARANCES

time for Sony/Epic to spend some of that on some global exposure!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:28 pm

barzurc

Caless Student
Caless Student
DUL7 thanks for the thread!! Sounds like Haru's vocals were damaged by a bad vocal trainer. Although know one knows for sure. I hope she gets better 100%

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:41 am

bleachnlife

International Performer
International Performer
I'm sure Haruna's voice was just damaged by fatigue... bad singing technique or the melodies which they imposed wasn't for her... any of this I cannot be sure of... oh yes maybe the vocal instructor had something to do with it...

SCANDAL is currently growing Japan and if it takes Girls Generation (SNSD) a good 5 years before they debuted successfully in America with the Kpop wave. (that's just an example) You can imagine a relatively similar scenario for SCANDAL. Its not that easy just to send a band out like that. How much return can you guarantee? We can assume Sony's plan is to set the ground for the girls in Japan itself before spreading out.

Yes SCANDAL has international fans, but not to the point they could set locations around the world where they would have a decent audience. They could at least attempt Indonesia or Philippines in their Asia Tour. Those two places would certainly have a good or dare I say better turnout. From the amount of fans in present at this Forum and on SCANDAL Facebook fan pages. We just need to get SCANDAL's attention. That one or two tweets to SCANDAL isn't going to get them over...

Us as fans feel that SCANDAL require international attention and I completely agree. These four girls need the international spotlight. We also need to realistically think about the outcomes that come with that... International schedules are hectic... and the girls are working more than decently they can't even see the families and you want more?

P.S. that supposed "harshness" I used was to emphasize the very point Haruna did not go through vocal surgery...

SCANDAL Haruna Happy SCANDAL Mami Nice One SCANDAL Tomomi  LOL  SCANDAL Rina UHUH! SCANDAL
SCANDAL brightens my everyday

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Arisu-Aru

Caless Student
Caless Student
http://www.lastfm.pl/user/Shalotte25
I'd love to see SCANDAL live, but there're really not many japanese bands, who are able to tour worldwide. It's easier for j-rock visual-kei bands, because their popularity is the biggest.
In my opinion it's not exactly Sony's fault, but whole japanese music industry's. If they stop being so shy towards other countries, then maybe one day we will see SCANDAL giving concerts everywhere ;-)

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:48 pm

320x200

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
bleachnlife wrote:Yes SCANDAL has international fans, but not to the point they could set locations around the world where they would have a decent audience. They could at least attempt Indonesia or Philippines in their Asia Tour. Those two places would certainly have a good or dare I say better turnout. From the amount of fans in present at this Forum and on SCANDAL Facebook fan pages. We just need to get SCANDAL's attention. That one or two tweets to SCANDAL isn't going to get them over...

They have that information you're describing. Though events are planned so far in advance most of the time, even if they know today about the hotspots you describe, it may be a little while before they can actually get there.

This is totally my own speculation, but if I was them I'd be watching the international goods store to see what sort of demand there seemed to be from overseas. I don't get the impression there's been a ton of traffic to it even though there's a lot of us online.

Social networks: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:32 pm

kaitoKid

Administrator
Administrator
http://tinyurl.com/c9n8he4
Moved to SCANDAL Talk

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:19 pm

barzurc

Caless Student
Caless Student
[320x200] is right on target once again. Monitor the sales, invade the hot spots, and flame the fires. But remember what I has suggested in the original post; Put them on world festival tours like lollapoloza and the reading festival. Hell, put them on the VANS WARP TOUR or @ the SXSW showcase. SONY/EPIC can buy the global stage.

And YES BLEACHNLIFE in my opinion it is that easy. It's done all the time! Send them out as a nobody (because you believe in them as a label) opening up and supporting much bigger acts. Then sit back and let the girls do what they do better than anyone I seen in 10yrs. Win the crowd over. And as far as not seeing their families, you lose me on that one. They are rich rock stars and this is their chosen profession.

I want to take this moment to thank you guys for your comments, ideas, and debates. It's awesome to think we are all here for SCANDAL!!!!! <3

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:38 pm

macdyne73

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
As much as we all like SCANDAL, at this point in time SCANDAL aren't big enough yet to justify a world tour (a proper tour, not one off shows like at cons and festivals). There are Japanese acts 20x bigger than them that haven't really gone global. Many factors, too many for us to discuss here.

For a tour to happen, there needs to be some sort of guarantee that revenue will come in to make it worth it for both the label and the band's management.

I could see a regional tour happening, they experimented with that last year with four shows in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore and that was quite successful. It would be more feasible for them to do another regional tour but with more dates at bigger venues and including more countries (Indonesia, Philippines, Oz maybe?)

If they can regularly fill 3000 - 7000 pax venues regionally, then maybe we'll see some more movement, probably regionally again (Europe, South America, North America). If those work out then maybe a world tour is possible.

A world "tour" playing small venues isn't going to happen. Too expensive to set up and too little revenue potential.

Let's cross our fingers and hope they get bigger in the near future. And don't worry, if they are big anime cons in your area then there's always a chance that a promoter might pick them up.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:43 pm

jona DJ

International Performer
International Performer
having a tour is not that simple guys.
from what i know, to have a tour you need sponsor. a really big sponsor.
because SCANDAL is hot in japan, they can get sponsor easily, that's why they have a lot of tours in japan.
but outside japan SCANDAL is not a big hit, YET.
and if it's not a hit, no one want to fund them to have a concert that maybe don't give many profit.

and about SCANDAL is not a big hit outside japan is not garbage.
i have prove.
remember the poll "music artists you'd like to perform at the 2012 london opening ceremonies"?
SCANDAL's rank is 205.
i personally think it's a big achievement, but i think the artists that are a hit worldwide must be ranked top 100.
now you all get it?
it's just a matter of time.
SCANDAL is really cool and i think they are trying to become a hit outside japan too. that's why they rushed to make new single, new album, new DVDs.

btw, the link of the poll:

me: GENKI DESU~ Onion Shy

thinking about SCANDAL may cause extreme blushing, increasing heart beat rate, crazy actions, exhausted from jumping like a kid, unstoppable weird laughs, sudden excitement, and freaky things that you'll wish you had never done that
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:50 pm

jigoku79

International Performer
International Performer
http://alinea-mind.blogspot.com/
Hmm, I think is kinda too early for them to having a world tour. Now they've been trying to polish their skill, and set more loyal fanbase in Japan itself (I remember they wrote on their blogs that they're having their 1st concert in Okinawa this early month..). So, you could imagine that it's more reasonable for them to set more fanbase in their country first..There's still other places they haven't visited yet in Japan.

As for polishing their skill, recently they've been collaborate with other artist. Well, I guess they been trying to make themselves recognizable among the other artist in the industry..They even collaborate with senior artist in few occasions, such as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in Fuji TV. Well, I think this really really works..They could have the attention they want..

As Sam (320x200) said, they had international goods store. It's a good starting point to see how much they've attract the attention of the int'l fans.For me, it's like a peek from inside to watch the outside

And as macdyne said there are other Japanese artist bigger than them that haven't really gone global. Many factors that made them so..
Sorry if it's lil' bit out of topic, but I'd like to take L'arc En Ciel for example,..L'arc have released their 'Smile' album in our country around 2005, it sold in a good amount, and Sony have set their eyes on us since then..but L'arc held an int'l concert in our country just recently, in May 2012 with 10.000 attendees..You can see how much time L'arc/Sony need 'just' to do that?..v^_^

So, SCANDAL still have a long journey before they could set their path in the global music industry..
And all I could say is, from now on support SCANDAL as much as you could, tweet them, buy their CD and anything else you could..And after all things have been well prepared, well, we all can hope and wait for a world tour..Cheers!

Last edited by jigoku79 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

...経験って苦い
ものでしょう? (SCANDAL- Pride)
失敗しても、当たり前...成功した、男前...
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:09 pm

kaitanuva

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I think iTunes is a good indicator of popularity in a country. I know they have SCANDAL's albums on the US iTunes, but they don't have their singles...cmon Sony!

Also no need to worry about Haru's voice anymore, her performance last week at FNS Music Festival was mind blowing

Back to top Go down