If SCANDAL was idol, would the fanbase crumble?
Posted on Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:08 pm

jpopishot

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://swif.forumotion.com/
Hi everyone. I had to post this since its been haunting me for a few hours. If Epic Records had, or does make SCANDAL just another manufactured Idol Group, would us, the fans, pack our bags and no longer want anything to do with the girls, or would we be split into the "Old SCANDAL" and "New SCANDAL" groups? (an example of old and new groups would be the American band Linkin Park, where most fans nowadays are sorted into either of those groups. Personally im sided with the old group, but i digress Ehem ) Tell me what you guys think with a response.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jpop kicks American music's ass BLEH! but SCANDAL rules them all
Back to top Go down

Re: If SCANDAL was idol, would the fanbase crumble?
Posted on Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:46 pm

ハナビラ~

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I like "old" Linkin Park more too
Well, if they'd throw away their instruments and started making bubble gum pop, I'd definitely go, but that won't happen Wink
But seriously, Scandal is and was always to some extend "manufactured" and I'm ok with it. I don't think they'll change that much in the future, since there isn't really anything similar to them. They are like an idol band, or whatever you want to call it.
Anyway, I think they're pretty much unic and I don't worry too much.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
上がり下がり 嘆き笑い 生きる
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:20 am

Hyuga

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
They would be fine as long as their identity won't change and be controlled by somebody else.
The artist still has to be the artist, no other may interfere.

That's what i think.

Previously known as HugoDisasters[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:56 am

macdyne73

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Idol in what way? An vocals only idol unit without instruments?

Well, they have always had this idol-ish vibe going on from the very beginning to be honest.

They are a band, they started out that way and I doubt that Sony/Epic will ever change that. If they did want to I doubt the girls talent people/management team will agree to it. Not while they are rising like they are now.

Change will be inevitable. The girls have always said that they wanted to explore music genres and different styles, themes and looks and I have come to expect to be surprised every time they release new material. This is one of the reasons why I, personally, like them so much. They aren't content to just sit and do the same thing all the time. I respect that and to be honest, not that many musicians are this adventurous.

As long as they kick ass live, continue to grow as musicians and songwriters/lyricists and continue to be true to what they want to do and to the idea of being a band I'm ok with it.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:26 am

bleachnlife

International Performer
International Performer
To some extent SCANDAL is "idol" but their still a rock band which I doubt they'd ever their instruments... besides their 5 years into their career its a bit late to change to be a dancing group anyway... and I've known people who have left SCANDAL cause they think SCANDAL is too mainstream. But what can you do? Considering SCANDAL are four exceptional ladies... just being a ordinary rock band seems to be lacking something....

But I'd lose respect if they were put the position of wearing bikinis for the audience... I don't mind them if their at the beach or the pool...

SCANDAL Haruna Happy SCANDAL Mami Nice One SCANDAL Tomomi  LOL  SCANDAL Rina UHUH! SCANDAL
SCANDAL brightens my everyday

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:51 am

alrick13

Some are having the impression that Scandal is an "idol" band/group because of the rare qualities that set them a part from regular girl bands.First is the member composition unlike other girl bands in which the vocalist becomes the face of the band and the rest seems to be a support crew that can be replace anytime Scandal has a very equitable distribution of attention because they are strong in every position no one is replaceable or forgettable. Second is their natural cuteness, and outfits which is uncommon to regular rock band but typical in the idol scene.

Some are claiming that they are manufactured.... well all things in the entertainment scene which has to do with sales is at some point manufactured. Artistry and Profitability should strike a balance to continue in the business.

Lastly Just an added insight and reference...

I have seen Scandal + Idol (girl group, bandol) in the same sentence since I became a fan a couple of years ago. Just recently I was able to watch ZONE's final live in Budokan if you're not familiar with them they are an idol group turned girl band the term "Bandol" was coined from them meaning band + idol.

Upon watching their first 3 songs and switching to Scandal's Budokan live and rewatcing it for the nth time. Yes they have similarities with each other but there really is a big difference between how a "bandol" and a regular girl band performs. Hope you guys as well will be able to see both performances and see how our angels are so different from an idol band....so relax Scandal have undergone changes along the way but I'm certain they will not be an idol band/group.

SCANDAL x miwa
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:08 pm

RinaJa

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://rinaja90@gmail.com
well, as for me, as long as they stick to being a band... i mean, as long as they still play their respective intruments and as long as its still Rina, Tomo, Mami and Haru and no other addition to that four amazing girls... I won't leave them! haha.

I say I'm a die-hard fan, whatever they do as long as its the four of them, even if they'd want to be a "bandol" , I will always be their fan and support them. ^^

CANTA Angel
SCANDAL FOR LIFE!!!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:23 pm

jpopishot

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://swif.forumotion.com/
TOPIC UPDATE: I finally got a chance to see your responses. I apologize for not clarifying more about what i meant when i said Idol. I meant Idol as in they drop their instruments or only use them for show and instead make songs that lose their rock touch. Or if Epic Records uses their want to try other music types to get them to switch genres and how we see them as a girlie rock band changes completely.

Jpop kicks American music's ass BLEH! but SCANDAL rules them all
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:06 pm

harunafanXD~

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
SCANDAL should always be the band they have been since they began...it really suits them...

but i'm really interested in them making a PV where they mostly dance so that they will be able to show their dancing skills UHUH!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Hammer

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
macdyne73 wrote:Idol in what way? An vocals only idol unit without instruments?

Well, they have always had this idol-ish vibe going on from the very beginning to be honest.

They are a band, they started out that way and I doubt that Sony/Epic will ever change that. If they did want to I doubt the girls talent people/management team will agree to it. Not while they are rising like they are now.

Change will be inevitable. The girls have always said that they wanted to explore music genres and different styles, themes and looks and I have come to expect to be surprised every time they release new material. This is one of the reasons why I, personally, like them so much. They aren't content to just sit and do the same thing all the time. I respect that and to be honest, not that many musicians are this adventurous.

As long as they kick ass live, continue to grow as musicians and songwriters/lyricists and continue to be true to what they want to do and to the idea of being a band I'm ok with it.

Yep, pretty much this. They do have an idol-ish feeling to them, so in my opinion if they went totally idol, dropped their instrument etc... (although the new korean girl group AOA do play instruments as well as dance, and they are idol.) the fanbase would change a bit, gaining some new followers as well as some leaving, but it would stay pretty much the same.

For me SCANDAL is not just about the music, although it plays a big part, but for example, I like how their music follows a certain theme, and when they are "promoting" that music, their clothes will match the theme of the music/album. The MV's will also match, etc. For example the next album, their outfits are perfect for what they are doing.

And as macdyne said, one of the biggest factor that I like them is their way of always exploring new aspects of not just music but for their own looks, tastes etc, while still sticking to certain "standard". That is, they don't go crazy going from metal to pop etc, etc... they stick to a more rock pattern while still experimenting new things.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:43 pm

ganstream1

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://www.ariefzainal.com
They're too old to be an idol group. So no, Epic won't turn them. Plus the name SCANDAL doesn't ring well with idols.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:13 am

kaitanuva

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
As long as every member is playing instruments (with the exception of the lead vocalist, who in our case does play an instrument too), I don't see how SCANDAL can be referred to as an "idol" group/band. Until the day they drop their instruments, they're a band through and through.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:29 am

Hammer

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
ganstream1 wrote:They're too old to be an idol group. So no, Epic won't turn them. Plus the name SCANDAL doesn't ring well with idols.

Lol, no they are not, SNSD is one of the most successful idol groups and they are all between 21-23. AOA just debuted and they have 2 members with 21-22. KARA 20-24,T-ara has most members with age that range from 23-26 years old and is also one of the most successful groups (or was...). So no they are not too old, they would be perhaps if they were debuting now (maybe), but they are not, they already have a large fan base. you can't take AKB as base. Hell, even AKB now has members around 20.

As long as every member is playing instruments (with the exception of the lead vocalist, who in our case does play an instrument too), I don't see how SCANDAL can be referred to as an "idol" group/band. Until the day they drop their instruments, they're a band through and through.

Just because they play instruments does not make a band "not idol", look AOA for example, they play instruments and they are an idol group. Although i do admit they also do the dance version for their songs. SCANDAL is not idol i agree, but they have an idol-ish feeling to them, they are also about the image a bit, you can't deny that.

The thing in Japan is that it is not that easy to identify and classify what is idol or not, in korea, pretty much if you are in a group then you are idol. But meh... again just making clear that I do not thing SCANDAL is idol.

Plus the name SCANDAL doesn't ring well with idols.
Hahahaha that is certainly true lol. Specially since my favorite idol group from korea was just involved in a big controversy, I can certainly second this.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:41 am

kaitanuva

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
The thing is with AOA is that only some members play instruments while others are focused on dancing and vocals. Hence why they are called a "bandol". SCANDAL is only focused on their music and blasting off their instruments in their lives; dancing is only an afterthought.

I feel that the main reasons why people feel SCANDAL is a bit "idolish" is because they are cute and dress cute.

Well for one, SCANDAL didn't really choose to have such pretty and cute faces, they were born with them Happy

Second, dressing cute is kind of a culture thing in Japan, so you really can't blame them for that...

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:26 am

Hammer

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
They are cute and dress cute, that is exactly why I think they are a bit idolish, but they also want that way in my opinion.
For example, look at the boy-girl ratio of fans. If it was just about the music, and not the image at all, the number should be a bit more even. Secondly, their MV's etc, yes dressing cute is kind of a culture thing in japan you are right, but how many times there was discussion here when some members thought that some images or MV's etc, were a bit too provocative or revealed too much? Or that their clothes match them etc etc, people analyzing their looks etc. Their company and them as well know they are cute and use that to their advantage, witch I honestly think they are right.

Thirdly, lets say that for example one of them, or all got a boyfriend and announced it publicly, do you really think their fan base would stay the same? If they were only about the music and nothing else almost nobody would care, and I do believe that would not happen. Their fan base would sway a little at least, sadly. There was also a discussion here on the foruns about that I don't remember where, and the majority thought so as well. I think only the "foreigner" fan base would stay pretty much the same, because we usually see their cuteness etc as a plus factor, not as the main reason.

(I am going to talk about some bands I like in the "western world") Bands like Nightwish for example, I love them, but I only care about their music pretty much, I think they are amazing because of that. But I couldn't care less about how they dress, (if it is not too absurd), or if they are married (which they are) , and that is the same with most of the fans. Epica for example, Simone Simons is gorgeous, still it is the same with Nightwish. As for SCANDAL, I would, and most people would as well, be lying if they don't think their cuteness is a plus factor and was one of the reasons they made an effort to search about them.

The first time I heard them I liked them a lot, so I went to search a bit (that is what I usually do when I find a music from a band I don't know) and their looks were an incentive to search for more songs.
I was like "Wow, they are beautiful and they can also play really well. Let me have a better look at their album". One of the factors I liked them so much was that they also made most of their songs, I thought it was amazing (and it is also one of the reasons I don't think they are a idol group).
What I am trying to get at, is that I think they are a bit idolish because they are also about the image a bit. Because they are cute, dress cute and know how to use that. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:57 am

kaitanuva

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
You have some valid points about the company/image and trying to make SCANDAL more appealing by making them appear idolish. But as long as SCANDAL is at its very core and definition a band it should not matter to me (and other fans who care) at all.

About the boy/girl ratio: I think quite alot of SCANDAL fans found out about them through FMA (me) and/or Bleach. Consider the audience for these two animes: male-dominated, right? Also, they started kind of heavy / garage rock, what with songs like Shojo S, DOLL, SCANDAL Baby, Anata ga Mawaru, Kagerou. This may come off a bit sexist, apologies, but this kind of genre kind of appeals more to male than female.

Personal experience; I actually did not find SCANDAL cute at all at first. This was my first image of them:

Probably because of the dark makeup and clothes (also the heavy rock in Shunkan) they came off as very "bad ass, punk girls" to me. I gained more interest in them only after I listened to the next 2 songs I heard from them: SCANDAL Baby and Switch. So, I can safely say I became a fan not due to their cuteness but their music.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:27 am

Hammer

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Hmm you have a point with most fans finding them through anime. That is definitely the case with foreigners fans, but I don't know about the japanese ones. There they are also promoted via other ways, like the magazines for example (and that is totally about the cute side), but It is all speculation on my part. I can't say for sure if there, most of their fans come from anime or other sources.

Well haha they are awesome in that picture, honestly their best outfit in my opinion. They are certainly badass in the picture I have to admit. I admit the first MV I watched from them was also shunkan. And it is also my favorite because they are just too awesome there.
But that might not be the case with others. I was reading the forum just now, and saw somewhere (I think "only scandal fan") that one of the members here made one of his friends like SCANDAL because he showed their picture. Anyway a poll would be necessary.

Also, the thing is, as I said, I believe the gigantic majority of their "foreigner" fan base like them because of their music, with their looks as a plus factor. But the japanese which is the large majority, have in their culture that other aspect as well. That is where I believe, my thinking of them being a bit idolish comes from. Like, why do they release 3 different versions for their singles or albums? Why is the photo-book necessary? mostly, to please those fans. Which ends up pleasing us of course so no complains lol. But still.

Anyway, this is more of what each one think. I could present a lot of valid arguments why I think they have this idolish vibe and they would be valid. And you could also present a bunch of valid arguments as to why you think they do not have it. But I think it is common ground to everyone to think they are not an idol group. I mean even the title of this topic already assumes that lol.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:40 am

kaitanuva

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Why does this forum not have any Japanese fans?? I would love some input from someone who actually lives in Japan and experiences SCANDAL in their everyday lives (lucky bastards lol)

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:52 am

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
@kaitanuva
SCANDAL have their own official Japanese fan club Scandal Mania.
But SH gives us all a chance to love them.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:13 am

ハナビラ~

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
kaitanuva wrote: About the boy/girl ratio: I think quite alot of SCANDAL fans found out about them through FMA (me) and/or Bleach. Consider the audience for these two animes: male-dominated, right? Also, they started kind of heavy / garage rock, what with songs like Shojo S, DOLL, SCANDAL Baby, Anata ga Mawaru, Kagerou. This may come off a bit sexist, apologies, but this kind of genre kind of appeals more to male than female.
it really does sound sexist
I disagree that it is because of the music genre, I don't think they have more male fans because of that.
But of course men get more likely attracted to them because they are good looking and, as you mentioned, they got their popularity through mainly shonen anime.
I think it's ok that they use their looks to gain attention, cause many people may take a closer look at them for their appearance, but then see their actually a great band.

上がり下がり 嘆き笑い 生きる
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:22 pm

Valkata

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Well, to tell you the truth, I will never stop loving SCANDAL and listening their music. I don't care if they are Idol or not. The love I have for them and their music will never disappear. Just like i will never stop listening to Linkin Park. Even though their style has changed. The important thing is that the girls keep making incredible music. That's what's important. Idor or not. I WILL ALWAYS BE THEIR FAN.

Back to top Go down

I agree Tomami
Posted on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:57 am

PAulfromAustralia

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://www.stormcellar.com.au
I agree Tomami. cuteness can get you noticed above other, but you have to have the good to back it up. And Scandal are just great little pop band that deliver "The Cute" as well.
And the problem with that is ..... ?????

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:38 am

yoshinator54

International Performer
International Performer
http://www.youtube.com/yoshinator54
I don't know about anyone else, but I would surely still listen to SCANDAL if they became an idol group. Personally, I like J-rock, but I also like idol groups. As long as all 4 of them are still together, I would totally be fine...but I don't think it's anything to worry about - I don't think they will become a total idol group and abandon their instruments.

Also don't forget that the members of SCANDAL went to a dance and singing school. If they didn't form a band, they probably would have been a bunch of singers and dancers anyway.

Also, I've seen people bashing on Pin Heel Surfer PV because there's "too much dance". I don't know if they were told to dance, or if they decided to dance, but people should let them do what they want to do and let them have fun. I'm pretty sure many bands would like to please their fans, but also they would also like to enjoy themselves and have some fun. As long as SCANDAL is happy with what they are doing, I'll be happy.

facebook page: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
youtube page: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
our music page: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:04 am

luffyxrina

Caless Student
Caless Student
yeah i would definitely quit my fandom if they become an idol group
i mean whats the point of liking them if they are not the rock band that we first loved anymore?
we llove them as a rock band and not as a pop group

i was really disappointed with pin heel surfer, cuz lets be honest the song is "pop" plus the guitar and drums, phs really sounds pop and the pv just made it worse in my opinion, it felt like im watching a kpop music video

and yeah i agree that they have "idol" mix in them when it comes to imaging, but the songs they have been making are all rock except for the troll song pin heel surfer, i want to punch the director of the pv and composer of the song, good thing the other songs in their new album are good

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:26 am

bleachnlife

International Performer
International Performer
I love how people think Pin Heel Surfer was all so Idol-like. Seriously why can't SCANDAL dance? If they dance they automatically become Idol and Kpop... Logic peoples where is it?!

It'd be lovely to see SCANDAL dance, considering they do come from a dance and singing background... its all ok till they start having obsessive fans...

SCANDAL Haruna Happy SCANDAL Mami Nice One SCANDAL Tomomi  LOL  SCANDAL Rina UHUH! SCANDAL
SCANDAL brightens my everyday

Back to top Go down