Genuine experience [Page 2 of 2]

Re: Genuine experience
Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:20 pm

_JC_

Caless Student
Caless Student
That is another point interesting with Scandal. Usually most band members love some specific instrument, then practise it for months or years on their own, and then someday find a band where to play. But with them, it's different: they look like to have gathered before to know what to play. This shows that for them there were probably things more important than the technical value of the music instruments. Was it fame? or friendship? or music? or just for the sake of working hard for yourself or others? This also shows that the "recruitment" in the team was based on something else that technical skills. Was it the look? Some feeling? Or just the fact that you are somebody close age-wise and location-wise?

How would be the band today if Tomomi actually decided to be the drummer? Or Haruna the lead guitar?

Most band members initially started to play music for either the sake of playing some specific instrument, or some specific music style. Later they usually dream of fame and money. This does not look like to really apply for them. They formed before practising and they played live before being paid (somebody correct me if I am wrong). Then what triggered the gathering of the band, and what kept them together since this time?

Last edited by _JC_ on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:25 pm

bad-apple

International Performer
International Performer
most of us already know they came from a dance-vocal school. from what i understand on the documentary, haru said they first started as a 3-member group and then rina just popped up, if u checked out the link i gave to you rina did indeed joined the group a week later(i think). and them becoming a band was recommended by their teacher at Caless.

"Yes, yes ... I'm always singing and dancing but ~, why guitar? (゜o゜;) I wanted to try! LOL
So, every day I'm playing it and really getting into it ♪♪
I really have no experience with playing guitar whatsoever but as it is, I'm totally obsessed ~♪"
this was posted by haru in 2006(from the link i gave you) when she just started as you can see she wanted to try other things, and she seemed to be enjoying it. before she met the members she already made her debut as a dancer and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"For us, the band is more like "life" to us than it is a "job." We're wonderful friends who are sharing life that only happens once." -Rina
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:53 pm

LieAnn

International Performer
International Performer
I second hapihapi.

_JC_ wrote:This also shows that the "recruitment" in the team was based on something else that technical skills. Was it the look? Some feeling? Or just the fact that you are somebody close age-wise and location-wise?

How would be the band today if Tomomi actually decided to be the drummer? Or Haruna the lead guitar?

And Haruna, Tomo and Mami all started with the guitar, but Tomo switched to bass because it is less complicated according to her (some old clips, anyone? haha). Tehn Rina came and she's assigned to drums. But Rina has been playing the piano since she was little. She struggled with the drums that made her almost quit the band (somebody have the link for this documentary called Uta Tane (Music Seed)? I'm too lazy to look for it haha). But look at them now, they're very good at their respective instruments! Those visible stressed nerves in their hands and Rina's muscled arms are not for nothing. XD

I have doubts about the look also; they're so much your average Japanese girls back then (oh well most Japanese girls are cute haha). As for the "recruitment" process, who knows? They only said they met at a dance and vocal school. Age wise, yes. Location wise, no.

_JC_ wrote:Most band members initially started to play music for either the sake of playing some specific instrument, or some specific music style. Later they usually dream of fame and money. This does not look like to really apply for them. They formed before practising and they played live before being paid (somebody correct me if I am wrong). Then what triggered the gathering of the band, and what kept them together since this time?

I also doubt they're after the money, I have this feeling these girls were born rich, that is Rina's piano lessons at an early age (and to think she have 3 younger siblings, there's only a few Japanese families with that much kids which means they're doing well), them attending a dance and vocal school and having their instruments immediately after they thought of forming a band. And if my memory serves me right, their very first one-man live is only attended by their parents so I do not think they're very much after the fame. They started in the streets, in some famous clubs, got signed for an indie label and eventually into the mainstream. And that is, for me, a humble beginning of SCANDAL. And they're carrying their instruments themselves whenever they're going in a tour!! They deserve what they're getting now, both from their label and their fans. And if you watch more vids of them, you'll learn that the girls only want to connect to their fans through their music and they enjoy their lives as much as we fans do!

And I can say that it is friendship that kept them together all these years. It's been six years and they're still Haruna, Tomomi, Mami and Rina. No additions. No one quit. And to quote the girls during their hardest times: "No Rina, no SCANDAL" (from that Uta Tane vid) and from their latest documentary when Haruna lost her voice: "We can't do live by three, 'cause Haruna is the face of the band." And they're much willing to rest just to get Haruna's voice back.

For more info, just go here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

もっと、もっと、もっと、もっと、もっと声が聞きたいのに
何で、何で、何で、何で届かない
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:38 pm

Biep

Caless Student
Caless Student
LieAnn wrote:I also doubt they're after the money, I have this feeling these girls were born rich, that is Rina's piano lessons at an early age

While I won't deny that possibility, music lessons at an early age aren't necessarily indicative of a rich family (unless that's different in Japan). I grew up in a lower middle class family (always food on the table, but often very simple food, and we couldn't afford the gaming consoles etc. that "everyone" else did), and I had cornet lessons. My sister had piano lessons. They were through some kind of non-profit general music school, but still weren't free, and with very skilled teachers. So if the parents simply are people who think of musical education as important, they may not necessarily be rich. Or they could be. Impossible to know :-) The same applies to the siblings thing too, I guess - I'm sure there are middle class families in Japan with three kids too. But still, that is a good point.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:50 pm

parkel

International Performer
International Performer
About the lost string:
Guitars CAN play with one lost string. Just adjust the tabs to make it fit on one less string. It is possible to switch on the spot if you're really familiar with a guitar.

About Rogue no Dengon:
Not written by SCANDAL.

They're no longer students anyway. They are full time professional musicians. If anything, they would be in university. But with university life, they wouldn't even have time for practice or even lives at all.

@jona DJ - From what I seen on one of the interviews/summits (I forgot which one) they mentioned that they played their first live in Shiroten only after ONE week. They slowly got better from then on. :/

こんにゃちわ!~
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:22 pm

funk_you22

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
LieAnn wrote:

And Haruna, Tomo and Mami all started with the guitar, but Tomo switched to bass because it is less complicated according to her (some old clips, anyone? haha). Tehn Rina came and she's assigned to drums. But Rina has been playing the piano since she was little. She struggled with the drums that made her almost quit the band (somebody have the link for this documentary called Uta Tane (Music Seed)? I'm too lazy to look for it haha). But look at them now, they're very good at their respective instruments! Those visible stressed nerves in their hands and Rina's muscled arms are not for nothing. XD

I have doubts about the look also; they're so much your average Japanese girls back then (oh well most Japanese girls are cute haha). As for the "recruitment" process, who knows? They only said they met at a dance and vocal school. Age wise, yes. Location wise, no.

I also doubt they're after the money, I have this feeling these girls were born rich, that is Rina's piano lessons at an early age (and to think she have 3 younger siblings, there's only a few Japanese families with that much kids which means they're doing well), them attending a dance and vocal school and having their instruments immediately after they thought of forming a band. And if my memory serves me right, their very first one-man live is only attended by their parents so I do not think they're very much after the fame. They started in the streets, in some famous clubs, got signed for an indie label and eventually into the mainstream. And that is, for me, a humble beginning of SCANDAL. And they're carrying their instruments themselves whenever they're going in a tour!! They deserve what they're getting now, both from their label and their fans. And if you watch more vids of them, you'll learn that the girls only want to connect to their fans through their music and they enjoy their lives as much as we fans do!

And I can say that it is friendship that kept them together all these years. It's been six years and they're still Haruna, Tomomi, Mami and Rina. No additions. No one quit. And to quote the girls during their hardest times: "No Rina, no SCANDAL" (from that Uta Tane vid) and from their latest documentary when Haruna lost her voice: "We can't do live by three, 'cause Haruna is the face of the band." And they're much willing to rest just to get Haruna's voice back.

Very well said LieAnn.. Tears of Joy ..Dude they can play music.. they love it..they won't improve playing if they don't right?..
btw..Hi lieann..i hope you still remember me..hehe..at the convention..hehe
Happy

Told you Orianthi is awesome..but for me..Mami's much more awesome..because she's so kawaii.. LOVE

and Aldious..well..we have different tastes in music..but I find them cool..
but still...Scandal is cooler..

Nice One

me want you..

(c)d3nise or (c)haritomi
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:29 am

LieAnn

International Performer
International Performer
@ Biep: Yeah, maybe I overlooked that "musical lessons". I got carried away on how things work in my country haha. But as for the "number of children" issue, actually it took me too long to notice. Considering the animes and JDramas I've watched, it's always one or two children only. I rarely see three. And my Japanese mail friends are either an only child or have another sibling, and one of then confirmed that it is a cultural thing and the Japanese considers their status with the number of children they'll have, though it's not a rule like China's "one-child" policy. Then I learned Rina have other three siblings which made them four, and that's how I came to that conclusion.

@topic: Sorry if this is out of topic.

何で、何で、何で、何で届かない
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:52 am

_JC_

Caless Student
Caless Student
No problem, this point is precisely on topic.

I always considered music as a one of the "poors hobbies", in the way that all you need is a guitar (which cheapest ones may be affordable by most people), a voice, a couple of friends and some free time, as opposite to more expensive things that young people could do, like engineering or business studies, which may keep you busy and focused all years long, and which is more technical than music (anybody can do some noise and pretend this is music. This is harder with more technical fields). But the family environment point you raise is actually a very relevant point. Would have they thought about forming a music band if they belonged to a lower (or upper) social class, or would that be impossible with a different status? May the band be a kind of achievement next to the parents' status? May that be that this was actually the parents who pushed them into this way?

Usually for most parents as much as I know, one of your kids saying that he/she wants to work in show-business (TV, music, movies etc) means incoming troubles, because of the usual unability to get any good long term position, while you were normally expecting something more stable and institutional, like to be a doctor, a teacher, a lawyer etc. I was actually interested to learn that these parents turned out to be the first fans if I understand well of the band. But I am curious... if these are possible well-established families, how come that there wasn't more pressure on the girls to get a more institutional job? Is the culture that different in Japan that one of your kids wanting to be an artist is actually good news?

In Europe, if you want to be an artist, the first fight of your career is most likely with your own family.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:23 pm

LieAnn

International Performer
International Performer
^ Might be a cultural thing. I can't remember where I've read it but there is this survey where the participants are Japanese HS students and were asked what will they pursue in the future. Majority answered "to be in the entertainment business". I also remembered Rina's blog, where she talked about opening her time capsule and there she wrote years ago that she wants to be a performer. I don't really know much about the Japanese popular culture so I can't figure out why these students responded like that, and I can't give much info regarding this "family" issues other than of those I've learned from my mail friends.

And regarding music vs other fields of study: Again, I don't know how it works in Japan but in my country most of the musicians and bands are from well-doing families (many are degree-holders but pursued a musical career). Majority of solo artists came from talent shows (which always gives the poor an advantage based on my observation). I also noticed that in Japan, musicians and bands started really young, whereas here I rarely see band with members below 20. As for the other fields of study, again I'm talking about my country, there are fields which requires both money and time, such as Medicine and Law.

And I agree that the parents' and family's line of work have a great influence in the children, but I still believe it's a case to case basis. I for example, I came from a lower middle-class family, my father is a fisherman (and believe me, a fisherman's status here is very different from a fisherman in other countries) but they let me pursue an Engineering degree (and I eventually became an Engineer) which is really expensive. They could've have told me to study a more economic and easy-to-get-a-job degree, but they didn't. Sad as it may seem, but there are others who can't fulfill their dream because of their family's status. And that's one of the reasons why I came to the conclusion of the girls being rich, however as I've said I have little knowledge in their culture so I can be wrong.

何で、何で、何で、何で届かない
Back to top Go down