SCANDAL and their music.
Posted on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:59 am

lone_ninja

Caless Student
Caless Student
Hi, recently I have been involved in an argument with someone about SCANDAL's music.
This particular party is saying that SCANDAL has never composed, or rather, recently most of their songs are not by their own composition. Is this true?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I myself am a musician and I know how hard it is in this industry whichever country you are from. I know it's normal to hire lyricists and whatnot. But I'm starting to doubt myself, are they really that dependent on other composers for their music? say it isn't so!

Video reference:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZIX078akAyY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As you can see, on the title it states who are involved in creating this song.

I am just looking for other opinions from fans and fellow musicians.

Back to top Go down

Re: SCANDAL and their music.
Posted on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:25 am

bleachnlife

International Performer
International Performer
Well composition of the song is normally by another person, but there are instances where SCANDAL writes their own lyrics and tune. In their latest album, the song Bitter Chocolate was completely written by SCANDAL; song and lyrics.

Lyrics wise, SCANDAL has various collaborations in writing the lyrics. So they still have input into what they make.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
SCANDAL Haruna Happy SCANDAL Mami Nice One SCANDAL Tomomi  LOL  SCANDAL Rina UHUH! SCANDAL
SCANDAL brightens my everyday

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:37 am

bad-apple

International Performer
International Performer
in 2011 they've started composing songs as they have more experience with music but before that they've only written the lyrics

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"For us, the band is more like "life" to us than it is a "job." We're wonderful friends who are sharing life that only happens once." -Rina
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:54 pm

VaizardsFTW

Caless Student
Caless Student
Yeah SCANDAL has mainly contributed to the lyrics and more recently to the composition of their music.

5/22/15 - 「HELLO WORLD」 - Los Angeles, CA HoB
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:21 am

kaitanuva

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I would not worry too much about SCANDAL not being the composers of their songs most of the time. For one, they write the lyrics themselves most of the time so you know it won't be meaningless rubbish that they just want to sell for $.

Also,
Drakis07 wrote: But one thing that i remember that SCANDAL said in interview once is that they create their song to be played live on stage
(from this thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So you know that they obviously have a hand in determining what their music will sound like, even if most of the time they do not make it from scratch for whatever reason (time, contract agreements, experience). You can say they hire people who write music that is tailored to the SCANDAL taste, so in a way it is still uniquely their music.

But of course they are getting experience through this.

At first they didn't compose any of their songs. Then all of a sudden we have some SCANDAL-composed songs showing up in b-sides in 2011: Want You (Mami), Very Special (Tomo&Rina), Hikare (Mami) and Emotion (Rina).

Now they finally have a main song (album or A-side, album in this case) composed by themselves: Bitter Chocolate (Rina). I think we're starting to see a pattern here. All the really really good self-composed songs are composed (and lyrics written too!) by Rina-chan. LOVE (Emotion is one of SCANDAL's best songs IMO; I haven't listened to the whole Bitter Chocolate song but others have said it's GREAT). Since when is the DRUMMER the band's composer?? That's why she's awesome...Keep trying to make epic songs Rina!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:15 am

bleachnlife

International Performer
International Performer
^ About Rina being a composer, considering she has a musical background of piano since a young age, I'm also assuming she had taken on musical theory. This would make musical composition easier for her.

SCANDAL Haruna Happy SCANDAL Mami Nice One SCANDAL Tomomi  LOL  SCANDAL Rina UHUH! SCANDAL
SCANDAL brightens my everyday

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:02 am

lone_ninja

Caless Student
Caless Student
kaitanuva wrote:I would not worry too much about SCANDAL not being the composers of their songs most of the time. For one, they write the lyrics themselves most of the time so you know it won't be meaningless rubbish that they just want to sell for $.

Also,
Drakis07 wrote: But one thing that i remember that SCANDAL said in interview once is that they create their song to be played live on stage
(from this thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So you know that they obviously have a hand in determining what their music will sound like, even if most of the time they do not make it from scratch for whatever reason (time, contract agreements, experience). You can say they hire people who write music that is tailored to the SCANDAL taste, so in a way it is still uniquely their music.

But of course they are getting experience through this.

At first they didn't compose any of their songs. Then all of a sudden we have some SCANDAL-composed songs showing up in b-sides in 2011: Want You (Mami), Very Special (Tomo&Rina), Hikare (Mami) and Emotion (Rina).

Now they finally have a main song (album or A-side, album in this case) composed by themselves: Bitter Chocolate (Rina). I think we're starting to see a pattern here. All the really really good self-composed songs are composed (and lyrics written too!) by Rina-chan. (Emotion is one of SCANDAL's best songs IMO; I haven't listened to the whole Bitter Chocolate song but others have said it's GREAT). Since when is the DRUMMER the band's composer?? That's why she's awesome...Keep trying to make epic songs Rina!

Now this is a big help.

I would also like to thank the others for their contribution.
Keep it up, maybe we'll solve more SCANDAL mysteries.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:51 am

macdyne73

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Controversy? Recording songs written by other people is controversial?? Since when???

Whoever it is who has an issue with this I have this to say.

Look through the history of recorded music and you will see that this is in fact, a norm. It's normal for people to record their own material and it's normal for people to record others' material. In fact, some artists REQUEST certain songwriters to write for them (for example, look up Diane Warren, an artist in her own right and a prolific and reputable songwriter whose music has been recorded by hundreds and hundreds of other people. I can give examples and discuss this at length but I'd rather not be too longwinded).

As a band or a singer, it's not a prerequisite to be able to write your music. It's great if you do but ultimately, it isn't necessary.

In SCANDAL's case in this regard, they are still growing as artists and songwriters. Their ability can only grow as evidenced by their recent self-composed efforts. Unlike certain others I can name, at least the girls TRY and improve and add to their craft. They don't HAVE to but it's apparent that they WANT to and this is very admirable.

Conclusion, there is NO controversy in recording someone else's composition and the resulting effort is co-credited between the composer/lyricist and performing artist. It's not by one or the other, it belongs to BOTH.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:13 pm

lone_ninja

Caless Student
Caless Student
^ EXACTLY!!

God, I hate youtube.

Back to top Go down