About Scandal formation...
Posted on Sat May 11, 2013 4:31 am

baymon

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
I was wondering that since Rina can play piano and Mami can play drum prior to Scandal, why not they formed Scandal with Rina on keyboard and Mami on drum. Haruna can be rhytm and occasional lead guitarist and Tomo still on bass as of now.

I think that will be easier since two of them don't need to learn everything from nothing... Any idea anyone?

Back to top Go down

Re: About Scandal formation...
Posted on Sat May 11, 2013 8:42 am

sillentdx

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
- Mami: the teachers at Caless told Mami that she have to bring a guitar if she wants to be in the band (and before she became the drummer of her previous band, Anpontanzu she wanted to play guitar)

- Rina: she started to play drums before the formation of Scandal, and it was maybe hard to find another girl from Caless who wants to play drums?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
最高の夜にしようね!!
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat May 11, 2013 11:22 am

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Another question on the subject : where the 4 girls put together by the teachers? Or did they choose themselves after a while?

I mean, did they become friends and started to play with each others or was it the teacher who said "ok Tomomi, Mami, Haruna and Rina you will play together and practice" ?

Bonus question : Can Mami still play drums? Could she play the drums in a some Scandal songs?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat May 11, 2013 12:37 pm

bad-apple

International Performer
International Performer
^

hmm.. not really sure

i think the members had met at Caless Osaka and were already friends at that point and thus one of their teacher saw another potential in them and urged them to start a band and Rina joined a week later after forming the band

and i think Mami could still play the drums 'cos it's a skill she has acquired. Like in some behind the scene footage in the 2nd live DVD, she was seen playing the drums for fun

"For us, the band is more like "life" to us than it is a "job." We're wonderful friends who are sharing life that only happens once." -Rina
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat May 11, 2013 5:42 pm

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
hapihapi wrote:i think the members had met at Caless Osaka and were already friends at that point and thus one of their teacher saw another potential in them and urged them to start a band and Rina joined a week later after forming the band

I'm pretty sure they said in the BS artist documentary that they had never met before. I had a feeling about how they formed before seeing that doc but they cleared a lot of things up in the doc.

It's been a while since I watched it but this is how I remember it: there was a competition of some sort to start a band - it wasn't just them. They were asked to try out along with a bunch of other girls. It sounds like on the first day of auditions, there were no instruments involved. On the second day (which must have been a week or so later), they got called back and were told to bring instruments even though none of them played one. Rina was not part of it yet at that point. Obviously the three girls were selected.

How Rina actually got involved wasn't totally clear to me in the film, but I think I remember them saying she was asked to try playing drums just like the rest of them were asked to play, but for some reason it was just after the other girls. Probably they just couldn't find a suitable fourth girl before and then somebody finally noticed her later - she would have been a year behind so maybe they weren't initially looking for girls that young. This may have been the teacher's influence.

They never really say *who* started this process, but it is a common way record labels in Japan often put groups together, to have these semi-private auditions. And Sony has some kind of pre-existing relationship with Caless, so I'm guessing it was a collaboration between Sony and Caless and their path was pretty well mapped out from the start.

But they weren't friends before and it wasn't just a teacher urging them to start a band together. They were selected to make a band out of a bunch of girls at Caless, and they're actually very honest about that when given the time to really explain it. (In TV interviews and such, they have to give quick answers, so I think they just simplify the explanation most of the time and say "we met at Caless and formed a band", which is true - it just omits a ton of important details.)

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat May 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Ancelot

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
But to my understanding they were with Kitty Records o something like that before being with Epic Records (The Sony one) So I doubt Sony had anything to do with to formation of the band.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat May 11, 2013 9:28 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Hum i'm also quite surprised to see you talking about Sony. From what i understood Caless is just a school, i doubt Sony would go there and tell them to make a special rock band with 4 girls. Also they were not signed by a major group, they were first indies but i don't know exactly what company owns what company...

Maybe they weren't friends before but i doubt it was a plan from Sony/Caless/teachers/etc to put them together and make a successful band. I guess they made something like a contest or something needed for the school and the 3 of them became friends (Mami, Haruna, Tomomi) and later Rina joined them.

Maybe they heard that a younger girl was playing drums, they met her and they got along and started to play together then became friends weeks after weeks.

Yeah maybe i read false information before but it's the first time i read about how their meeting was planned by someone (like Sony or someone else).

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun May 12, 2013 9:54 pm

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo wrote:Yeah maybe i read false information before but it's the first time i read about how their meeting was planned by someone (like Sony or someone else).

But they said it. Watch the doc, it's on there. They're totally honest about it. This is also common knowledge in Japan - it's one reason why they're constantly battling the perception of being an idol group. Nobody I've talked to there about them would believe you could randomly get four girls who are all *this* cute and *this* multi-talented in the same band by chance. And it wasn't chance - they say so themselves, so there's no reason to disbelieve it. They tried out and they were chosen.

I have actually always wondered why some of their fans are so taken aback when they hear this - this doesn't take anything away from them either individually or as a band. In fact to me it makes them more impressive, because they started from nothing. Most bands have years of experience playing their instruments individually and then together before they become known. Scandal became well known within literally a few months of first picking up their instruments. Within a year or two, they were signed to a major label. And now they're really big. All with no prior experience or even a prior inkling to have a band. That's pretty amazing.

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo wrote:From what i understood Caless is just a school, i doubt Sony would go there

Caless is a large dance and vocal school. Many alumni are either Sony artists or are on the Sony payroll one way or another, and some even teach at the school as guest teachers. Sony has pretty strong ties to the school - it is basically a training center for the Japanese music industry.

Of course they signed to Kitty initially, because Sony's not going to sign four unproven girls who can't yet play. But with their formation having been planned, I can't see how their eventual signing to a major label wasn't planned too. Kitty wouldn't have held this competition, and Caless had no motivation themselves either. It wasn't a regular thing, according to the girls. Moreover, the girls would have no motivation if they didn't think there'd eventually be a big payoff - it's a lot of work to learn a whole new craft like that. This wasn't something they did just for fun - they say that too. Apparently it wasn't actually that much fun for them at first, when they were still learning.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon May 13, 2013 2:22 am

baymon

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
spacecadet wrote:.... Nobody I've talked to there about them would believe you could randomly get four girls who are all *this* cute and *this* multi-talented in the same band by chance. And it wasn't chance - they say so themselves, so there's no reason to disbelieve it. They tried out and they were chosen.

THIS! I thought about that too. I have seen many other girl bands in Japan, none of them have all members as pretty as Scandal, unless those that are literally idol band. So I kinda believe they were chosen maybe because they're both cute and have potential in music/band thing.
So yeah, if you say that the process is something like a semi-audition thing, that's actually make sense.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon May 13, 2013 2:33 am

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Already watch it but didn't understood it like that. Need to watch it again i guess ^^

It's not bad if it happened like that with Caless/Sony, just thought it was a bit more "natural".

Like they were at Caless and day after day they became friends and started to play together or decided to get together when Caless made this "contest" thing.

Whatever the story is, natural band and friends or premade band from Caless/Sony, it is clear that they are friends since the beginning of the band and not just a stupid idol band put together to be pretty where each girl hates the others and only does her job to get famous (sorry don't want to be mean to idol bands, they are not all like that).

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon May 13, 2013 3:11 am

macdyne73

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Yeah, SCANDAL isn't really that kind of grassroots a-bunch-of-friends-got-together-and-jammed kinda band.

It's not hard to believe that labels (like Sony) have a relationship with dance & vocals schools, especially one with the size and reputation of CALESS. I'm not that concerned though, the band may have had outside "inducement" to form but it's nothing quite as crazy as what companies like SM Entertainment are doing in Korea. There, the company practically owns their artists.

With SCANDAL's case, sure they will have their contractual obligations but it seems to me that it's more of a consensus kind of thing. The band does seem to have a good degree of autonomy with their activities, image, direction etc. I.e they are not totally at the mercy of their label.

Getting back to the NHK prem documentary, yep, Haru did say that they formed in school and it was indeed with the encouragement of school staff. What might've happened was someone from the industry (could be a label rep, could be a talent scout with a management company, we don't know for sure) asked the school for help to search for students with the interest, aptitude and potential to be musicians.

In the end, according to Haru herself, many students dropped out of this and went back to dancing while they stuck it out. Whether on their own or with someone else's "encouragement" we don't know for sure.

My conclusion is that the band is not the traditional kind of grassroots band, they had outside help to form.

And the rest, like they say, is history.

Back to top Go down