You are not connected. Please login or register

Go down

musical preferences of scandal?
Posted Sun May 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Aoyama_Nanami

Aoyama_Nanami

Caless Student
Caless Student
Hi guys, few minutes ago i was watching an interview that j-melo made to scandal, but
then musical preferences of scandal? 21859.

I don't know what are the tasties of the group, i mean artists, songs, and kind of music they like. This question could be silly, but i don't know. musical preferences of scandal? 675914

7. Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen.
(Ludwig Wittegenstein)
Back to top Go down

Re: musical preferences of scandal?
Posted Sun May 26, 2013 8:07 pm

babaloued

babaloued

International Performer
International Performer
Haru likes Kpop (SHInee) and some American artists like Jonas Brother or Justin Bieber... (Not my taste :nosepick: )
Then, Tomo and Mami have pretty similar music style. They like Red Hot Chilly Pepper but Mami also likes Jpop
And about Rina or more particulary Tomo, I don't know

SCANDAL live 

2012.07.16 - バンドやろうよ!vol.3
2012.08.21 - Canal City Hakata
2014.06.28/29 - ARENA FESTIVAL DAY 1&2

2014.08.05 - RIJF 2014
2015.04.25/26/30 - HW TOUR 2015
2015.10.21 - TIMM
2016.09.10/17/20/21/24/25 - YELLOW in EUROPE 2016
Live! 
Back to top Go down

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 8:49 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

A few more of their musical tastes (by no means an exhaustive list):

Haru: Namie Amuro, Mika Nakashima, Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Momsen, Adam Lambert, Michael Jackson, Orianthi, Green Day, SPEED, Aikawa Nanase, Triceratops, HYDE, ONE OK ROCK, TVXQ, SS501, Avril Lavigne. She is most influenced by KARA for her live performance. The first song she played on guitar was "Glamorous Sky" (from Nana) by Mika Nakashima/HYDE.

Mami: Ellegarden, THE HIATUS, SUM41, I WiSH, B'z, 9mm, Abe Mao, aiko, The Strokes, Hatsune Miku, K, JUDY AND MARY, Morning Musume. Takuya of Judy and Mary is her most respected guitarist. She also likes Detroit Metal City and other anime songs.

Tomomi: Jackson 5, YUKI, Hi-Standard, Blue Hearts, Southern (I'm assuming Southern All-Stars), Morning Musume, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers. She idolized Tsuji from Morning Musume when she was younger. Flea from RHCP is one of her big inspirations as a bassist.

Rina: Tamio Okuda, Unicorn, Shigure, 175R, YUKI, "Scrap Green"(?) (I think this might supposed to be Brilliant Green), Chatmonchy, 9mm, Okamoto's, Ayumi Hamasaki, Morning Musume, and individually she likes John Bonham, Keith Moon and Yoshida Yoshifumi as drummers.

This is sourced from here: http://scandal4gear.web.fc2.com/

There's a few more there that I can't translate well and nothing shows up for what Google comes up with as a translation.

They all like some pop music, which isn't surprising - most people do unless they're *really* hardcore punks or metalheads. But Haruna seems to have the most mainstream tastes while the other girls do like a lot of less "produced" punk and rock. It is interesting to consider how their idols have influenced them - you can pretty easily see both Nozomi Tsuji and Flea combined in Tomomi, for example.

All of them also like AKB48, and are good friends with some of the members.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 9:16 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
spacecadet wrote:Haru: Namie Amuro, Mika Nakashima, Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Momsen, Adam Lambert, Michael Jackson, Orianthi, Green Day, SPEED, Aikawa Nanase, Triceratops, HYDE, ONE OK ROCK, TVXQ, SS501, Avril Lavigne. She is most influenced by KARA for her live performance. The first song she played on guitar was "Glamorous Sky" (from Nana) by Mika Nakashima/HYDE.

So you have some flaws my HARU musical preferences of scandal? 319583

I also read somewhere that shes likes Justin Bieber but that may be outdated (or not).

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 10:06 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo wrote:I also read somewhere that shes likes Justin Bieber but that may be outdated (or not).

She might - my list was just what was on that site, more or less. That's probably somewhat older info, so they may all like additional bands/artists now, or just didn't mention everyone in whatever interview that was taken from.

You can go through their twitter to see who they're following as well. I remember seeing many of these in their twitter feeds. I don't remember if I saw Justin Bieber or not.

Haruna's an enigma...

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon May 27, 2013 4:07 am

baymon

baymon

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Interesting to see Haru has the most mainstream pop taste. I know that she is a big fan of Kpop.
I find it a bit surprising because she seems to be the one who insists on "Scandal being a rock band" the most and seems to have the most rock attitude in the band (alongside Mami I think).

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon May 27, 2013 4:24 am

macdyne73

macdyne73

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Firstly, we must be aware of the fact that their idea of what is "rock" and our idea of what is "rock" might be different. What kind of rock is Haru talking about one wonders? There are many types and since pop rock is part of it, what she says isn't actually wrong. However there are some of us here who may feel that the band is getting too "soft" and not being very rock at all, hence all the gnashing of teeth when a "pop" song is released. Not very wrong either.

SCANDAL is a pop rock band and the members' pop influences (as well as their indie rock influences) will shape their sound. There will be both pop AND rock in their music, sometimes separately and sometimes together. And since I like both those things (plus women who play instruments Happy ), here I am!

Anyway, back on topic...

Last time I checked Haru's Twitter list she follows Justin Bieber and Orianthi to name the 2 that I can recall.

The girls also like Avril Lavigne, they even blogged about going to one of her shows last year. Tomo also likes going to gigs of all kinds of indie-ish artists.

I've always had this impression that the girls listen and follow a wide variety of artists across all the genres (not unlike myself Happy ) with Haru and Rina being more inclined to the pop-ier side of things while Tomo and Mami are more inclined to indie-ish rock stuff.

A good balance and a good thing for the band.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon May 27, 2013 6:30 am

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
People's tastes do change too, and I think most of the lists we've seen (like the one I posted) definitely are a bit older... I have a feeling they listen to some different stuff now that they're a famous rock band all in their 20's than they did when they were 16-18 and learning to dance in high school. Their twitter list is probably more up to date but they may not be actively pruning artists as they outgrow them; I usually don't bother to unfollow people unless they're really spamming my feed.

Anyway, just saying that Haruna may not be as mainstream as she once was for all we know. We know who her early influences were, but we probably don't know all the music she's discovered since then.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon May 27, 2013 12:34 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
baymon wrote:Interesting to see Haru has the most mainstream pop taste. I know that she is a big fan of Kpop.
I find it a bit surprising because she seems to be the one who insists on "Scandal being a rock band" the most and seems to have the most rock attitude in the band (alongside Mami I think).

I also thought that yes ^_^

And yeah I think some must be outdated, they grew up and so did their musical tastes. HARU probably doesn't listen to Avril Lavigne as much like she did 5 years ago for example.

But still nice to have some information about what their musical tastes are (or were).

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 6:53 am

Rank57

Rank57

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
It's easy to understand they liked pop artists much more until they formed SCANDAL. They even said in some interviews they did not even know what was a "rock band" until they had to learn how to play their instruments.

Then, they discovered several rock bands and got influenced.

What they like to hear and what actually has an influence on their work are different things.

And I'm really, really happy to see Haruna got much more of Aikawa Nanase in her than Justin Bieber! musical preferences of scandal? 907478

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 9:52 am

bleachnlife

bleachnlife

International Performer
International Performer
HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo wrote:
baymon wrote:Interesting to see Haru has the most mainstream pop taste. I know that she is a big fan of Kpop.

I also thought that yes ^_^

And yeah I think some must be outdated, they grew up and so did their musical tastes. HARU probably doesn't listen to Avril Lavigne as much like she did 5 years ago for example.

But still nice to have some information about what their musical tastes are (or were).

They went to her concert in Japan last year? And she stated in a recent interview that she wanted to do collabs with Avril... I'm guessing she's still a vivid fan of her.

Back on the topic: I probably side with Haruna in terms of the music she listens to... she seems more balanced.

But in terms of the band, if their music preferences was to outline the music they made, it'd probably sound raw like garage or alternative. Well that's what I think.

SCANDAL Haruna .happy. SCANDAL Mami Nice one SCANDAL Tomomi  .lol.  SCANDAL Rina .uhuh. SCANDAL
SCANDAL brightens my everyday

musical preferences of scandal? Hhxqn11
Back to top Go down

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 3:03 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
bleachnlife wrote:But in terms of the band, if their music preferences was to outline the music they made, it'd probably sound raw like garage or alternative. Well that's what I think.

There are a few songs they've written completely by themselves, but they may still be trying to write for the audience they know they have. They'd probably have to start completely from scratch for us to hear what they'd really sound like based totally on their own preference. It may not really be that much different if Haruna has more mainstream tastes, and it seems like Rina also likes more straightforward rock (if not so poppy). So it'd be Dobondobondo pushing in one direction and Almond Crush pushing in the other and they'd probably meet in the middle.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:26 am

masufcpys

masufcpys

Caless Student
Caless Student
Well, when Scandal met Lily Franky (TV special), Mami wore a Pink Floyd´s t-shirt (form the Dark Side of the Moon album). Maybe she only wore it for fashion, but maybe she is also a fan, which is not unusual among musicians. 

Here is an image. It´s not very clear, but you can see the famous prism of the Dark Side of the Moon album cover. 

Here is Mami and the others:

Spoiler:

And here is the album cover:
Spoiler:

musical preferences of scandal? Firma12
Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:09 am

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

Here's a screenshot that shows that shirt a little better (you can open it up full size):

musical preferences of scandal? Mami_p11

At first I wasn't sure it was really a Pink Floyd shirt from the photo they took because I've never seen one with that sphere around the prism, but you can see clearly that it has the band name in the video and this screen grab of it.

I also doubt she'd be wearing it *just* for fashion. Maybe partly, but I wouldn't wear a band's t-shirt in public that I didn't know or like at least a bit, no matter what it looked like. So my respect for her is now a couple notches higher; David Gilmour is one of my favorite guitarists too, and always has been.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Mdri

Mdri

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
I would never imagine Haruna likes Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers, etc .

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:39 pm

masufcpys

masufcpys

Caless Student
Caless Student
spacecadet wrote:So my respect for her is now a couple notches higher; David Gilmour is one of my favorite guitarists too, and always has been.

Yeah, me too. I really like Pink Floyd and I think that Gilmour has a lot of wonderful solos, so he is a great influence for her.

By the way, thanks a lot for the screenshot, I can clearly see the t-shirt there Happy

musical preferences of scandal? Firma12
Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Mdri

Mdri

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Oh on another note, i didn't notice that The Strokes were on Mami's list.

My full respect for her .hail.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:46 am

funk_you22

funk_you22

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
..I was surprised Rina likes The Who ..the first band from the 60's that was the wildest at that time..a legend..I'm gland she's getting influence to these guys...ahehe 

me want you..
musical preferences of scandal? 248620_543230782354814_1332185272_n
musical preferences of scandal? Scandal_logo_stamp_by_haritomi-d5it41emusical preferences of scandal? Mami_stamp_4_by_haritomi-d5iskhe
(c)d3nise or (c)haritomi
Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:25 pm

lazzal

lazzal

Caless Student
Caless Student
Rina and John Bonham. YESSSS
Now if only Mami liked jimmy page. .clap.

musical preferences of scandal? Second_zps9a1d7466
Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:58 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

Resurrecting this because of new info. In the Go! Go! Guitar! Mami Rock Study special, she lists a bunch of bands that she likes - some of these we knew before, but some are new:

The Beatles
Jack Johnson
Green Day
Avril Lavigne
The Rolling Stones
The Blue Hearts (she also mentions Hi-STANDARD and Ellegarden in that section and says something about Dr. Martens shoes)
Rage Against the Machine
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Aerosmith
Deep Purple
T. Rex
Nirvana
Michael Jackson(?? I don't know how this fits into a guitar study magazine)
James Brown
Bob Marley & The Wailers
Lenny Kravitz
Char
BOØWY
The Doobie Brothers(??)
U2
Led Zeppelin
The Police
Extreme
Eric Clapton (with and without Derek and the Dominos)
The Eagles
Guns n Roses
Chuck Berry
The Strokes
X Japan
Ozzy Osbourne
Cream
Jimi Hendrix
Van Halen
Alcatrazz
The Derek Trucks Band

This is the kind of thing that really makes me wish I could read kanji because there's obviously a treasure trove of info in here; it's literally an entire magazine of just her talking about her influences, where those influences show up in Scandal songs and how to play in the style of her heroes.

She mentions the other band members a lot and I have a feeling she's talking about how she was introduced to various artists or at least who else in Scandal likes them. She mentions Tomomi when talking about RHCP and Haruna when she talks about Nirvana, Michael Jackson, BOØWY, Guns n Roses, and X Japan. (I don't see her mention Rina; they may not have a lot of the same tastes.) Those all fit with what we know about Tomomi and Haruna also.

I have a feeling some of those artists she was also given to study when the band first formed and she was learning, because a lot of them have not much in common with each other or with Scandal other than being well known guitar gods.

If anyone has this mag that can read kanji and wants to clarify anything, please do.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:42 am

M

M

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
akjcmskfcmdfcm so much respect for Mamitasu now .wow. 
I remember Smells like Teen Spirit when I hear 24 Jikan Plus no yokae mae! Awesome.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:11 am

funk_you22

funk_you22

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
..yes..Mami..the first time I watched some of her interviews..she just mentioned few bands..but with what spacecadet posted..that is really interesting..having a lot of preferences..and influence is a good thing..but the main question there is.. who influenced her the most when it comes to playing..

with Tomo's influence..RHCP is really expected..as a bass player..you should at least know FLEA..hahaha..but i have some questions for tomo too..does she know Victor Wooten, Jaco, Marcus Miller, Stu Hamm, Abe Laboriel, Billy Sheehan and more?..hmm..hehe

me want you..
musical preferences of scandal? 248620_543230782354814_1332185272_n
musical preferences of scandal? Scandal_logo_stamp_by_haritomi-d5it41emusical preferences of scandal? Mami_stamp_4_by_haritomi-d5iskhe
(c)d3nise or (c)haritomi
Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:30 am

waning_moon

waning_moon

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I knew some of the artists they liked but thank you spacecadet for completing my list ^_^ Awesome to know. Tomomi in particular always mentions RHCP whenever she's asked and Flea. I don't think Haru has a flaw! Honestly, she is the most attached to dance compared to the other girls and her music tastes obviously proves it as well. Being in a band and not having time for dance, I would imagine, would've actually been a hard decision for her (recently watched a sub of Utatane). I love her musical preferences actually since I also really like Avril Lavigne, KARA, and Kpop in general. 

I also totally agree with macdyne23 . I'm like that as well, liking a wide variety and instrument-playing-females XD I love SCANDAL's sound. A mesh of many genres and pop being one of them is also awesome. I thought Tomomi was close to Haru's level of attachment to dance so it's interesting how more indie-rock inclined she is.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2024 SCANDAL HEAVEN.