Scandal instrument practice
Posted on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Eireen

Caless Student
Caless Student
The question just popped into my mind...

Does anyone know how long do the girls practice per day?

I mean, they learned to play at an incredible speed and I was curious to know how hard they worked to do so. Especially Mami.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Back to top Go down

Re: Scandal instrument practice
Posted on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:07 pm

bad-apple

International Performer
International Performer
when they were just starting to play instruments, they spent at least 10 hours depending on their schedule mostly on weekends but i guess maybe an average of 6/7 hours a day. And now that all of them have finished schooling and are focusing on their career, i guess could be a whole day practice or like an average of 8/9 hours

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"For us, the band is more like "life" to us than it is a "job." We're wonderful friends who are sharing life that only happens once." -Rina
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:32 pm

Eireen

Caless Student
Caless Student
hapihapi wrote:when they were just starting to play instruments, they spent at least 10 hours depending on their schedule mostly on weekends but i guess maybe an average of 6/7 hours a day. And now that all of them have finished schooling and are focusing on their career, i guess could be a whole day practice or like an average of 8/9 hours

Unbelievable! WTF!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:08 pm

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
I doubt they have time now to spend 8-9 hours per day practicing. Also they are "good enough" now for what they do so I would guess at this point they are working on things they feel they're weak on or that will really make them sound noticeably better, rather than just general practice. That cuts the time required down by quite a lot.

It seems like at least 50-60% of their days are packed with events. Some of those involve actually playing, and on those days I'd guess they don't otherwise practice at all. On the days without events, they'll have planning meetings, rehearsals and other housekeeping things to do. Those days they probably do have time to actually practice, but I doubt it would be more than a few hours.

They're a professional band now and they've all been playing for more than 5 years at this point, so they're definitely not going to be practicing like they did in the beginning. But I am sure they did do about 8-10 hours per day at first, until they were competent.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:47 pm

meow-chan

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
they are really hardworking rock chicks! Nice One

they know there are much better bands than them but they don't wanna lose plus they want to give theirfans great shows. i also think they practiced 8 to 10 hrs a day during their starting days.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:51 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Yeah like spacecadet says, nowadays they probably don't really train a lot anymore. They are pros and know their stuff, no reason to train 9 hours like they did at the very beginning.

Their training is mostly rehearsals and learning new songs, I don't see any of them sit down a few hours per day alone and practice alone.

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 pm

fendipratama007

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://fendipratama.blogspot.com
Need more time for me...

Tama SCANDALOUS

Are You SCANDALOUS? Keep it!!!
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:03 am

Medios

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://luthfiadytra.wordpress.com
Given their current state as a professional band, I think 4-5 hours of practicing is enough, and this doesn't happen daily. Even a total of 9-10 hours a week of practice seems reasonable. Like Harimato said, their training is mostly rehearsals, and probably new mixes for the live shows. They gotta do something new on the live shows to make it slightly different than the recorded version, right?

And when it's post-live, they maybe have some recreation time for a few days. This is mostly road trips and vacation site visits, and I doubt they even touch their instruments during this time.

OMGWTF!
HARUNA x RINA x TOMOMI x MAMI
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:20 am

hidetomatsumoto

Caless Student
Caless Student
"incredible speed" i think that's not completely true....
hehehehe.....

basically for rehearsal i think 2 or 3 hours per day is enough(for all member rehearsal).
but, i guess as for artist or musician every member must be practice lonely. more than 3 hours per day is reasonable for me.....

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:06 pm

Eireen

Caless Student
Caless Student
hidetomatsumoto wrote:"incredible speed" i think that's not completely true....
hehehehe.....

Well, I'm not a guitarist and I can't judge, but it still looks amazing to me XD

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:51 pm

joethecurious

Caless Student
Caless Student
Guys, you are supposing that they practiced 8/10 hours a day at the beginning of the band or any of the girls mentioned this before?

On weekends maybe even practiced more than 10 hours, it is perfectly possible. But on other days, having to go to school, study and practice even this amount of hours it's hard to believe. Schools in Japan are not rigorous? Or maybe they don't sleep. hehe

PS. Sorry for the awful english, writing this with help of the google translator.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:44 am

polpol

Caless Student
Caless Student
and maybe they also have tea time like HTT. Evil Grin

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:59 am

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
joethecurious wrote:Guys, you are supposing that they practiced 8/10 hours a day at the beginning of the band or any of the girls mentioned this before?

Pretty sure I did read this somewhere a long time ago, but I couldn't tell you where at this point, so I guess you can consider it hearsay. The girls all do often talk about how much time and effort it was in the beginning, and how hard it was. But there's really no way they could have gotten as good as they got that quickly *without* that much time put in. They've all said they had never picked up the instruments they're playing now before they started the band.

It's not so unusual either. If they were a different type of band (like a punk band), they may not have needed that much practice, but they play some intricate patterns and they all sing and play at the same time. And they learned to do that from nothing well enough to play live and record an EP in about 18 months. That had to require a crash course in practicing. Most guitarists, bassists and drummers that play in bands like them have practiced for several hours a day for years before being ready to play professionally.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:40 am

joethecurious

Caless Student
Caless Student
spacecadet wrote:
joethecurious wrote:Guys, you are supposing that they practiced 8/10 hours a day at the beginning of the band or any of the girls mentioned this before?

Pretty sure I did read this somewhere a long time ago, but I couldn't tell you where at this point, so I guess you can consider it hearsay.
For me just knowing that you read somewhere it's ok.

I feel that they really did not start from scratch. They were already singing lessons (in caless right?) when they met each other. Rina is playing piano since age of 3, Mami play drums before Scandal and Tomomi tried guitar before bass. Is clear that sing, play and sing at the same time are different things. I know that piano is different from drums and drums is different from guitar. But anyway they already had a base when they started Scandal.

Do not get me wrong guys, I'm not disparaging them, just seem to me that this thing to start completely from zero is not 100% true.
But they really progressed very very fast and are an inspiration to many people, including me, when I begin to make my drum lessons.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:20 am

sillentdx

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
hapihapi wrote:when they were just starting to play instruments, they spent at least 10 hours depending on their schedule mostly on weekends

"They spent 12 hours a day in the studio practicing" according to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], Japan's largest English-language newspaper.

最高の夜にしようね!!
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:18 pm

jyoung754

Caless Student
Caless Student
Maybe not a "incredible speed"
But... they got success in such a short time(in the way of rock band).

Take my other favorite band for example:
1.Avenged Sevenfold: They play music since 13.14years old,and then they formed in 1999 but was being known by 2006(now they all are more than 30 years old)

2.Black veil Brides: As their guitarist said:I have played guitar 13 years(he's now 27 or 28) and they got famous in 2008-2011

You realized?

Scandal ! What I love them? I used to listen to the metalcore and glam metal! Because they touched me!

They play instrument at about 18 years old(Haru , Rina san might be 15)
And they work hard!
The most important thing is they got famous in short time and all the world knew them...

Needless to say they ROCK! RULE!

Sorry for my suck English..
But I think you guys can understand.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

SCANDAL's the best!
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:08 am

kakotov

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://Youtube.com/kakotov
"They spent 12 hours a day in the studio practicing" according to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], Japan's largest English-language newspaper.

very good interview!
to start practicing up to 12 hours Wow! OMG
sure now spend much time practicing to be difficult, and not nececitan and commitments must be filled

anyway the fact start 0 not 100% correct, and had a base or at least the ear in order to become great. Cool Walk

Back to top Go down