TOMOMI'S GEAR
Posted on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:15 am

Lexian

http://ask.fm/frozentheory
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (6 votes)

TOMOMI (Bass Guitar & Vocals)
Pick of choice: Fender - Rock On Touring Pick 0.73mm (However, most of the time she is fingerpicking)

Currently Using:
Fender American Standard Precision Bass -TOMOMI MODEL-
(TEMPTATION BOX Tour era - present)
Nickname: Sabao-kun
This is TOMOMI's newer bass, and the one she has been using most frequently ever since the TEMPTATION BOX tour in late 2010. Presented on her blog on September 10, 2010, this bass is super sparkly/shiny due to the custom paintjob on the body AND the headstock. To add more eye-candy, TOMOMI later customized the pickguard with a reflective chrome-style one. The signature racing stripes on the body are still there, but now are in a blue-red-blue pattern. The nickname "Sabao" came from one of the suggestions to her Twitter when she asked fans to name her new bass.
More angles of the Precision Bass can be found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

---------------------------------------------

Fender Deluxe Active Precision Bass
(December 2012; BEST★Xmas4 - present)

Similar to Nohana from Stereopony's precision bass, this was TOMOMI's first new bass for 2013. Body is actually navy blue and, as usual, it was later given TOMOMI's signature stripes in a gold color to match the pickguard. This bass is almost the same as Yuusuke-kun except for the body and pickup arrangement. The bridge pickup is from the Jazz bass while the neck pickup is the standard Precision bass one. This enables it to produce more low end sound from the p-bass side and more brigher sound from the j-bass side. Body is alder, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, and pickguard is 1-ply beveled gold vinyl. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Cost: $949.99 MSRP. (Thanks to Tim_E.D and maharizm for this info).

Ernie Ball Music Man - 20th Anniversary StingRay Bass
(October 2013 - Present)

Making its debut on SCANDAL's STANDARD Tour, this was TOMOMI's newest bass for 2013. From GO!GO!Guitar magazine's article on the bass, TOMOMI says, "My StingRay that I debuted this tour. The top of the body is a quilted maple and the back is mahogany. It's a gem that's equipped with a 3-band active preamp on one pickup and outputs a strong, crisp sound." This kind of bass guitar was made in 1996 and approximately only 1250 were produced. They have a fairly aggressive tone which is great for slapping, but also has that warm, vintage, jazzy sound.

Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
(DOLL era - present; although used less often than before the p-bass was bought)
Nickname(s): Masaya-kun then changed to Yuusuke-kun

This bass guitar has been used ever since the girls' major label debut, and has been one of few guitars that has been used regularly for such a long time frame. Candy Apple Red with rosewood fretboard. The pickguard is like HARUNA's old Tele, except that TOMO's is black pearl instead of white. She also has a white racing stripe around the body of her bass which eventually appears on next bass (Sabao). There was some discussion about whether the stripe is a decal/sticker or it was painted on, but, due to the glossiness of the stripe, it has been agreed that it is indeed part of the paint job. The neck has been customized to be slightly smaller so that it is easier for TOMO to play those groovy bass lines. This bass has also been used for the bass solo for the song Hi-Hi-Hi, where she uses a pick for the song except for the solo, which was slapped. Whether or not the solo has ever been done on the p-bass is still an unknown. In 2013, TOMO had this bass sent off for some upgrades. It now sports a passive pickup arrangement with 3 knobs.

More shots of the Jazz Bass can be found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
As a bonus, here's MAMI's drawing of Masaya-kun:

Squier by Fender「 TOMOMI JAZZ BASS SKY BLUE 」
(March 2012 - present)
Nickname: Bluetus

Also made its debut at the Budokan live in 2012. It was made to be a kind of "fusion" between the Jazz and Precision basses in terms of weight and sound. Equipped with '62 vintage model pickup, ashwood body, maple neck, and rosewood fretboard. This bass is a passive bass. There are 3 control knobs on the front for front + back volume and tone. TOMO's signature racing stripe is on this bass too, this time yellow in color. The pickguard has the white pearl pattern. Sold in the summer of 2014 for fans for 60,000 yen (MSRP).

Yamaha BB2024X
(November 2012 - present)

Body: Alder-3P(A.R.E), bowlength:863.6 mm, over-all length: 1165.5mm
Neck: Maple+mahogany 5P(bolt-on), Fretboard: Rosewood 21Fret(250R),
Bridge: Vintage brass (brass saddle, steel plate)
Pickup: Split/Single coil (Alnico)x1, Bartype/Single Coil(Ceramic)x1
Function: Master Volume, Master Tone, 3P Toggle Switch, Nickel Hardware, finishing: BL/VSB/VW
Case: Hard Case

Not Used Anymore/Used Rarely:
Click here to see rarely used gear:

GIO Ibanez / GSR180SB
(Shiroten days - when she bought her first jazz bass)

With a three-tone sunburst design, this bass looks like the first bass TOMO started out with. Since it is part of Ibanez's GIO series, it is fairly inexpensive and great for beginner bassists.

Fender Japan Jazz Bass Classic 70's Reissue / JB75-US
(Shiroten/Indie Days - Japan Expo 2008)

This bass was used more during SCANDAL's indies days, appearing in the PVs of Space Ranger and Koi Moyou. Possibly a Classic 70's re-issue. During the Japan Expo in France, TOMO placed a handstand smurf sticker on this bass to fit in with the French environment (the Smurfs cartoon originated in France). After the red J-bass was bought, this bass was pretty much put aside. However, it was recently seen in the SCANDAL no Theme PV from the BABY ACTION DVD(to keep with the theme of the band's "origins").

Fender(probably Squier) Precision Bass
(Shoujo S PV & BEST★SCANDAL PB only)

TOMO had a white precision bass for the shooting of the Shoujo S PV. Same deal with HARUNA's rosewood Tele and MAMI's strat. This guitar was used only for the Shoujo S PV and later on for the BEST★SCANDAL photobook. During the week of March 25, 2011, this guitar along with the other two guitars used in the Shoujo S PV were [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. The winning bid for this guitar was ¥155,001. Out of the three guitars, this one appeared to be the least smashed up.

Fender II Coronado bass
(First seen in the SCANDAL MANIA Photobook vol.3 - present)
Nicknane: Koro-tasu

Not much is known or seen about this bass (beside the color, which is Cherry Red) but TOMOMI does have it in her "main fleet" of basses. It hasn't been seen in any live performance (yet!) but there's a good possibility that it has been used in a recording studio.
Here is a (cropped) picture from the August issue of the GiGS magazine.

ESP Original "Space" Bass
(Debut in July 2012 - present; reportedly used only once)

TOMO also rarely uses her Custom ESP, because the arrangement of the preamps makes the bass specialized on treble and growl sound, so the ESP is mainly suited more for heavy metal than pop rock. The arrangement of the pickups is the same with TOMO's Deluxe Active Precision Bass Special (PJ). The custom ESP is full active bass.

She has only used this bass at the Band Yarou Yo! Vol.3 live on July 16, 2012. The lines connecting the stars and the stars themselves light up through LED lighting effects in the bass.
Credits to Tim_E.D for the info.

Pedals, amps, accessories, other gear, etc.

Effects:
-TECH 21 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
-MXR [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
-MXR [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
-EBS [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
-BOSS [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
-Fender [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
-Providence [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
-BOSS [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Ashdown Evo III 500
Ampeg [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] rack mounted bass head

TOMOMI's amp setting:

Avalon U5 preamp

Used to "warm things up". People barely note any difference in the sound when this thing is on. It's more an studio tool, but many people uses it live.

Wireless Headset Microphone: Shure WBH54

In-Ear Monitor:
Mainly FitEar ProAudio 334. ProAudio 222 is chosen depending on the size of the ear canal.

Credits to jigoku79 for the "Etc. Gear" info from recent GiGS magazines.

As always, please keep forum rules in mind and direct any non-TOMOMI gear talk to the other topics. Thanks. Happy

Last edited by Lexian on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:17 am; edited 23 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated effects and photos from 2015-2016 PERFECT WORLD arena tour)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Moderator of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Re: TOMOMI'S GEAR
Posted on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Khareen

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://khareenlovesred.tumblr.com/
so badass.. Love
my favorite is her red bass guitar.. I wish i can see her playing that again.. Smile

thanks for sharing Lexian! ^__^

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Yukirin chuu~

Posted on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:31 pm

Tim_E.D

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
I think Tomo bought the Black P-Bass is actually for replacing the Retire Yuusuke-kun

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Lexian

She's retiring Yuusuke?Uwah!
I never knew that.

Moderator of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:34 am

GeoFreak

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
You'd have to think so; I haven't seen her play it live any time recently. Her new basses are probably more versatile, so that she doesn't have to haul all of her old ones around on tour.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:44 am

Tim_E.D

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Yeah. Now the question is why I think that Tomo make Yuusuke Retired?, because the answer is that the P-bass have similar configuration of electronic to Yuusuke and its the oldest bass that she use until now (in terms of usage). Every music instruments need a replacement or newer generation to improve the sound and looks, for example: Rina, now she seldomly or never use her pink drum set (I don't know the name of the pink drum set, sorry), instead she use the white one. I think the last performance of Yuusuke is in OJH and after that Tomo clean Yuusuke and put it in her home as a Trophy, History and Archive

Anyway great job for Yuusuke-Kun spending time with SCANDAL for like 6 years maybe?

^BTW I'm Big fans of Yuusuke-Kun Happy

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:19 pm

chaii

Caless Student
Caless Student
.it's kinda sad knowing that Yuusuke-kun is retiring Sad

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:52 pm

syakmp

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
ToT I loved Yuusuke >_< I even think that was the first officially named 'Tomomi model' cause of the stripes. And it's been there since Doll too. *sigh* Good thing is that she did at least use it for a couple of songs in Osaka Jou Hall.

Love SCANDAL!!  LOVE
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:14 am

thoseguiltyeyes

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Guys, it's better to not go around saying things you're not 100% sure of.

TOMOMI just tweeted this and it doesn't sound like Yuusuke-kun is being retired; he's only being modified/remodeled.

"My red Jazz bass is active but going under remodeling, so it's passive right now.
The pickups and bridge were changed and now it has the best sound.
He's a different person now. My heart's being tightly squeezed. Painful."

2011.07.03 SCANDAL @ AM2 -Anaheim, CA
2012.03.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN @武道館
2012.11.03 SCANDAL HALL TOUR 2012 @愛知
2012.11.04 SCANDAL HALL TOUR
2012.11.10 SCANDAL @ Happy MUSIC Live 2012
2013.03.03 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 @大阪城ホール
2014.06.01 Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2014
2014.06.02 SCANDAL Fan Meeting
2015.04.25 SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015「HELLO WORLD」 -Paris, FR
2015.04.26「HW」-London, UK
2015.04.30「HW」-Essen, GER
2015.05.15「HW」-Chicago, IL
2015.05.20「HW」-Mexico City, MEX
2015.05.22「HW」-Los Angeles, CA
2015.05.23「HW」-Anaheim, CA
2016.01.12 SCANDAL ARENA TOUR『PERFECT WORLD』@武道館
2016.01.13 PERFECT WORLD
2016.05.21 Welcome Fan Meeting
2016.05.22 SCANDAL @ Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2016
2016.05.23 Farewell Fan Meeting
2016.08.21 SCANDAL 10th ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL @泉大津フェニックス
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:29 am

raynsity

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I'm curious why did she "randomly" tweet about her red bass ? I wonder if she read this thread haha

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:56 am

braneyJ

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Tomomi have a nice gear yeah very nice

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Tim_E.D

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Yuusuke being passive right now? a full reborn bass for you Tomo (its kinda sad knowing my bass undergo custom active because I really admired Yuusuke-kun(before its passive))

Yeah I wonder also, maybe because I said too much about Yuusuke?

Anyway still hope the best to come from the upgraded Yuusuke-Kun MKII

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Tim_E.D

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Guys good news, I started conversation directly to the boss of these FitEar Custom in Ear Monitor, Named Keita Suyama

and that's how you got information from the source directly

Note: Moderator Lexian please see this post and update the information of the gear

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Lexian

*Added ProAudio 334 as their main IEM. Thanks for going through all that to clear it up. Much appreciated. I'll change it on the other gear threads as well.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Tim_E.D

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Here's some information about the Pro Audio Series since Suyama-san said its only available to Japan and specially designed for the profesional artist or producer with support from the company (No wonder why SCANDAL get these amazing piece of Gems and the thing is that FitEar doesn't sell this thing to public, even if it was Japanese people)

FitEar Pro Audio 334

Unit configuration:
-Balanced Armatur driver type
-3-way 3-unit 4-driver

Feature:
Review the driver configuration / network settings of Pro Audio 335, It realize the peak suppression of high-frequency and phase characteristics improvement. Along with the exact sound that kept the musical, it provides a monitoring environment ideal you do not want to hear tired.

In addition it is possible to design relatively compact shell in four driver configured for Pro Audio 335, It can cope with a variety of sizes and ear hole shape.

---

I will further make a review about the current used amp of Tomo

Last edited by Tim_E.D on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Please don't double-post. Thanks.)

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:16 pm

Af8!

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
I can't get a picture, but in this video, Tomomi is using a different kind of bass. I don't think it's listed above, and she doesn't use it often, from what I've seen.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Tim_E.D

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Af8! wrote:I can't get a picture, but in this video, Tomomi is using a different kind of bass. I don't think it's listed above, and she doesn't use it often, from what I've seen.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

She used that bass onlky 1 time (during the VMAJ I guess?)

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Lexian

@Af8! and @Tim:
Yeah, that's one of those random basses that appear once or so.
Oh and that program was MJ(Music Japan, an NHK program hosted by Perfume).

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:31 pm

madeindar

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
i wonder why she uses 3 tone shapers, MXR EQ - SansAmp Bassdriver - and MXR Bass DI in one setup?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:22 pm

Af8!

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Oh ok, but does anyone know what kind of bass it is?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:14 pm

kudo_maharizu

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://stomachofchaos.com
Af8! wrote:Oh ok, but does anyone know what kind of bass it is?

Timo is playing a Fender American Deluxe Precision bass. A three-tone sunburst with black pickguard,:

This photo is from an online shop. RAKUTEN also has one (according to Google Images) but the 2013 Fender site shows that currently they don't make 'em with rosewood necks anymore:

Specs of the bass can be seen here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

~ CHECK OUT MY [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] VIDEO! 見てください!  ~

16/3/2013 *SCAPE Warehouse | SINGAPORE
12/1/2016 日本武道館 | 東京、日本
13/1/2016 日本武道館 | 東京、日本

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 pm

Af8!

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Thanks! It looks just like the one I wanted, but it's a little different. Thanks again!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:06 pm

Tim_E.D

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
@Af8!: 
its A fender P-Bass, According to my eyes, that is Made in Japan Fender Precision Bass (don't know what series it is)

yeah it is a American Deluxe, I think it is one of her collection. Also Fender stil make the model of Tomo american deluxe p-bass for US$2,229.99 (I think tomo will use it for recording. If it is for live, the bass will be too powerful for a live performance (power of this bass is almost 2x of yuusuke-kun and the black active p-bass))

Here's one shot of her Bass:

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:30 pm

chezu

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
And anybody know about the new Pickup that Yuusuke-kun use? Or it's still in progress?

karafuru na mirakuru wa mirai kara kuru mou me no mae
''I am a beacon of knowledge blazing out across a black sea of ignorance."-Invoker
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:19 am

Tim_E.D

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
@chezu:
Yeah to make a custom and good pickup setting, the custom shop will take 1 until 3 months to finish (based from my experience) so it still in progress. Anyway we know Tomo, for sure she gonna display that bass in twitter or blog when it finish

Back to top Go down