Posted on Sat May 08, 2010 6:16 pm

rreizend

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://theflyinglemon.wordpress.com
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

well, i think the first magazine we can get a hold of is indonesia's Animonster, so i'll be putting the translation of the article here.

hopefully in the future, we can see more articles of SCANDAL

SCANDAL
Caless vocal and dance school gave birth to many named artists and musicians in Japan. One of them was the vocal group Hinoi Team, who was known for their para-para style. In this school, which was located in the city of Osaka, is where four girls, who has the same hobby of making music, met. TOMOMI and RINA from the Osaka branch met with HARUNA and MAMI from the Nagoya branch. Because the four of them felt that they have the same vision in making music, they decided to form a band with the support of their teachers so that each of them take up and master their respective intruments. With that, SCANDAL officially formed in August 2006.

The name SCANDAL itself was taken from a music store located in the same building with the studio they use to practice in. They usually practice after school, and sometimes when during school holidays, they have a sleepover for a few days to practice because their houses are far away from each other, making it difficult for them to meet up. When they felt that their talents in music and playing their instruments was enough, SCANDAL then started to do live performances to introduce their band to the public. Namba Hatch became the first site the girls performed in public. With their energetic and full-of-power signature sound, they self-proclaim themselves as "The Most Powerful Japanese Girlie Pop Rock". SCANDAL then started to perform more often in the streets, especially every weekends at Shiroten in Osaka Castle Park. Doing live performances in the streets caused their fan numbers to increase. One great oppurtunity came in August 2007, when SCANDAL was given the chance to participate in a special program that was organised by Shibuya Club Asia, a club that is known and respected among the people of Shibuya. And in that time, an indie label by the name of Kitty Records witnessed the popularity gained by SCANDAL and was interested in recruiting them under their record label.

SCANDAL accepted the offer of working together with Kitty Records in a flexible contract which also involved Tower Records as a partner. On 3rd March 2008, SCANDAL's debut single under the flag of Kitty Records was released. The single titled Space Ranger that was released exclusively by Tower Records was sold with the limit of 1,000 copies. In a short time, Space Ranger was sold out throughout Japan and it was vey difficult to obtain in markets. Shortly after Space Ranger's release, SCANDAL did their first international tour to the US, in a joint tour called Japan Nite US Tour 2008. They performed in six different cities in the US; New York, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles, starting from 16 to 23rd of March. And on 28 and 30th March, SCANDAL participated in an event called Sakura Con, one of the biggest anime conventions in the USA. They mentioned that, because Japan Nite US Tour 2008 was their first tour, there were stil many things about performing in lives that they did not know. Moreover, the tour itself was outside their home country, thus they were quite worried about the difference in language and food. Nevertheless, SCANDAL succeeded to gather more than 7,000 people in the audience who watched their performance during the tour.

SCANDAL released their second and third single not long after that. Koi Moyou at the beginning of April, while Kagerou at the beginning of May. Both Koi Moyou and Kagerou successfully topped the Tower Records Indie Chart. Similarly with Space Ranger, these two singles were released with only 2,000 copies and was exclusively released by Tower Records. Koi Moyou itself was used as the theme song for the film Corazon de Melon. SCANDAL returned to do live performances in several places, including their participation in Japan Expo in France in July, where they performed in front of 10,000 people. SCANDAL also had the chance to perform in ACGHK (Animation-Comic-Game Hong Kong) which was held in August. Still in August, SCANDAL was already releasing their first mini-album titled YAH! YAH! YAH! HELLO SCANDAL ~ Maido! SCANDAL Desu! Yah Yah Yah!~. The 4 track mini-album successfully gained #2 in Tower Records J-Pop Album Charts and #217 Oricon Charts, with 1,736 copies sold. But despite their increase in popularity, SCANDAL felt unsatisfied with Kitty Records, who always distribute their CDs with limited numbers and therefore was easily sold out. And because of that, at the end of September, SCANDAL approached Sony Music Japan which resulted in the signing of their contract with EPIC Records, a record label of Sony Music Japan. Thus, their mini-album became the finishing line to SCANDAL's contract with Kitty Records, and it also marked the end of their indie days.

SCANDAL's entrance to their major era is introduced with the release of their major debut single titled DOLL. The said single that was released in 22nd October, exploded in the markets until at least 40 radio and TV stations broadcasted DOLL's PV. This made it easier for SCANDAL to make TV appearances such as MUSIC STATION, Ongaku Senshi MUSIC FIGHTER, MUSIC FAIR and MUSIC JAPAN, something they would prove difficult when they were still under Kitty Records. SAKURA Goodbye is SCANDAL's second major single and their first in 2009. This single that was released in March is some kind of a remake of their song SAKURA that they play only in lives in their indie days and there are only minor changes in the lyrics. The song, with its 'graduating' theme, was released when TOMOMI and MAMI graduated from high school. In the same month, they contributed in the tribute album for the band JUDY AND MARY alongside mihimaru GT, Ikimono gakari, Suneohair and Ai Otsuka. In that album titled JUDY AND MARY 15th Anniversary Tribute Album, SCANDAL brought the single DAYDREAM. Three months later, 17th June to be exact, SCANDAL released their single ShoujoS. This single successfully grasped #6 in Oricon Weekly Chart, with 33,881 copies sold. ShoujoS was their first single that became a tie-up with an anime, that is, the 10th opening theme for the anime BLEACH and also as the opening song game BLEACH DS 4th: Flame Bringer for Nintendo DS. That success was also gained through the distribution of ringtones by the "Chaku-Uta" service which spawned over 100,000 ringtones in just two days. ShoujoS itself is a unique title, because the letter "S" in ShoujoS has the same meaning as "s" which shows the word is plural in the English language [shoujo = girl, shoujoS = girls]. SCANDAL plays this song in their live performances, one of them is when they performed in MUSIC JAPAN Shinseki Anison Special in September. In that show, they also did a cover the ending theme of the anime K-ON!; Don't Say Lazy, which they played SCANDAL-style.

Their last single in 2009 is Yumemiru Tsubasa, which was released in October. BEAUTeen!! was the first B-side track, which became the theme song for the commercial for Pocari Sweat and drama Bukatsu no Tenshi which was sponsored by Pocari Sweat. After only a week after the release of Yumemiru Tsubasa, SCANDAL launched their first full album titled BESTSCANDAL. At the same time as the release of their album, a plan was announced for the formation of a SCANDAL fanclub named CLUB SCANDAL. This fanclub that can only be accessed through cell phones in Japan became active in November 2009.

In the 51st Japan Records Award which was held in December, SCANDAL was nominated as Best Newcomer. However, they came as runner-up since the Best Newcomer category was won by Korean boyband Big Bang. Nevertheless, in the French J-Music Awards 2009, SCANDAL came 1st place under the category Best Single for Girl Band/ Band with Female Lead Vocalist, with their single ShoujoS.

In 16th December, a TV information magazine called TV Bros. wrote an article about the electropop trio Perfume and SCANDAL, with the title Perfume x SCANDAL. SCANDAL and Perfume became friends ever since they met in MUSIC JAPAN, where Perfume became the MC and SCANDAL as guests. Uniquely, in that article, SCANDAL and Perfume played Jenga, and the questions that are to be answered were written on each block they played. One of the questions they had to answer was what would it be like if SCANDAL and Perfume merged becoming one group and what name should be given for it, what would it be like if Perfume became a band and many more. In that appearance, TOMOMI also shared the story of her days in high school where she formed a group resembling Perfume during PE lessons.

SCANDAL's newest single is Shunkan Sentimental which was released in February 2010. The single was used as the 4th ending theme for the anime Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The release of Shunkan Sentimental was soon followed by their national tour called SCANDAL ~ Shunkan Sakurazensen TOUR ~2010 SPRING. It was held in eight cities and started in 23rd March until 10th April, and was also their first national tour.

SCANDAL is a unique and very energetic girl band. Their love for anime affected the way they promote themselves, that is by making animated characters of themselves. SCANDAL anime version can be seen in a number of their PVs and also their official website.

In one interview, they were questioned about who can jump the highest while holding the guitar in lives, they replied: "It's not about competition. It's about what kind of spirit you have, and how cool your jump is!"

HARUNA
Full Name: Haruna Ono
Nickname:Haru
P/DoB: Aichi Prefecture / 10 August 1988
Blood Type: A
Height: 153cm
Position: Lead vocalist, guitarist, leader
Instruments: Fender USA 60th Anniversary American Standard Stratocaster
Japan Limited Model [black], Fender USA American Standard Telecaster
[hitam] named Shun-kun, Fender Telecaster Thinline Deluxe [hitam].
HARUNA is the SCANDAL's oldest member, and because of that, the other
members considers her to be the leader of their band. She really enjoys
dancing and wanted to be a professional dancer, but her life changed
when she met the other members of SCANDAL. HARUNA really admires the
korean boyband Tohoshinki, and she once bought 4 of their DVDs at the
same time. She could cry and laugh alone by just watching their videos.
Other than Tohoshinkin, HARUNA idolise mega star Michael Jackson. HARUNA
has a really bad eyesight, to the point where she said that she can't
live her life without wearing glasses or contact lenses. HARUNA has the
most energetic and deepest voice between the members, making it the
dominant voice in almost all their songs.

TOMOMI
Full Name: Tomomi Ogawa
Nickname: Tomo
P/DoB: Hyogo Prefecture / 31 May 1990
Blood Type: A
Height: 157cm
Position: Bassist, vocalist
Instruments: Fender Japan JB75-US 3 Tone Sunburst Rosewood, Fender USA American Deluxe Jazz Bass [red] with a pick guard and white stripes on the body showing that it's custom-made. She named it Masaya-kun, but then to Yuusuke-kun later on.
Like HARUNA, TOMOMI was an aspiring dancer but in the end she chose to be together with her friends as SCANDAL. Nevertheless, her dancing skills can still be seen from her elegant movements despite carrying her huge bass guitar. TOMOMI wrote most of SCANDAL's lyrics and melody. Her favourite food are strawberries and Nata De Coco.

RINA
Full Name: Rina Suzuki
Nickname: Rinachai, Rinakkusu
P/DoB: Osaka / 21 August 1991
Blood Type: B
Height: 160cm
Position: Drummer, vocalist
Instruments: Negi Drums snare named Angelina / Angie, Pearl Masters Series PREMIUM MAPLE★ with base colour pink and rainbow coloured lamination she made herself.
RINA is the youngest member of SCANDAL. Her sweet face and smile made many people assume that she is the most kawaii member of SCANDAL. Beside the drums, RINA is good at playing the piano because she had been playing ever since she was 3 years old. She is the most frequent in updating their blog out of all the SCANDAL members, making sure that their fans are always up to date with her and SCANDAL. Her favourite food are bagel and soy milk.

MAMI
Full Name: Mami Sasazaki
Nickname: Mamitasu, Sassa
P/DoB: Aichi Prefecture / 21 May 1990
Blood Type: AB
Height: 161cm
Position: Lead guitarist, vocalist
Instruments: Fender USA 60th Anniversary American Standard Stratocaster Japan Limited Model with American Standard base and Vintage pickup [white] named Yuuya-kun, Gibson Les Paul Junior Special Double Cutaway [white], Fender USA American Standard Stratocaster HSS [black], Amplifier Marshall JCM2000.
MAMI's skills as the lead guitarist are undoubted and often amaze SCANDAL fans. MAMI, on stage, looks cool and dark but when off stage, she has a happy and cheerful personality. Among the members, she is the biggest anime lover mainly One Piece and BLEACH. Her ambition is to be a professional seiyuu. Besides playing the guitar, she can aslo play the drums. Ever since elementary school, she likes to refer to herself as "Oira".

Last edited by rreizend on Sat May 08, 2010 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: SCANDAL Magazine Articles
Posted on Sat May 08, 2010 6:27 pm

yuujin_21

Administrator
Administrator
Nicely done reiz!I should give my guitars names too [=3

And the info at the end proves all my guitar research correct.DANG i'm happy! :D TOJ Onion

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Bokaru HARUNA desu!"
"Gitaa MAMI desu!"
"Beesu TOMOMI desu!"
"Doraamusu RINA desu!"
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat May 08, 2010 8:59 pm

rreizend

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
glad to be of service

LOL you should, call your guitar RINA then. kidding! xD

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat May 08, 2010 9:38 pm

GC.

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Thanks rreizend!!!!!!
There were somethings I didn't know so it was really interesting to read and it shows how they have come. From playing on the streets to playing on big stages and tours.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun May 09, 2010 6:28 am

haritomi.denise

International Performer
International Performer
http://www.instagram.com/haritomi
Arigato rreizend-kun~! Praise
nyahaha,kawaiiiiiiiii~!XD i thought TOMO's paper boyfriend was Masaya-kun demo she canged his name~XD
kawaii they're naming their Instruments~ LOVE Nose Bleed

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

"...most people die never realizing the dream of their lives...”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun May 09, 2010 7:04 am

haruhiyuu

International Performer
International Performer
http://koudai-na-sekai.blogspot.com/
Nice one !!

thx for this Reiz Nice One

Eki x Tomia x Miyuko ♥

userbar by reo (y)
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun May 09, 2010 10:34 am

konohagure

International Performer
International Performer
Thanks for translating it rreiz! *u*

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun May 09, 2010 11:49 am

mc~

Administrator
Administrator
http://scandaluniverse.wordpress.com
lol why do I feel like the member descriptions are familiar?? Onion XD

---------------------------
I am now an inactive admin.
I can still be around from time to time if my help is needed, but for urgent matters you can contact the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

|| [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] || [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] || [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] || [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ||
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun May 09, 2010 12:01 pm

rreizend

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
welcome guys

@mc LOL thats what i thought when i was translating it xD

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun May 09, 2010 2:29 pm

mc~

Administrator
Administrator
lol so me and the one who wrote that article had almost the same thing in mind when writing the member description. Onion XD

Thanks btw for translationing reiz!

I can still be around from time to time if my help is needed, but for urgent matters you can contact the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

|| [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] || [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] || [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] || [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ||
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm

rreizend

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
^ well, its very likely that they got the information from SCANDAL-indo.. or maybe they got it from here?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun May 09, 2010 2:55 pm

mc~

Administrator
Administrator
lol that's also possible. Because I was the one who originally wrote the info on our SCANDAL Members Profile thread, and I can see very similar lines on it and here.

EDIT: I really like the SCANDAL description. Yo reiz, can I put it up in our SCANDAL Profile?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun May 09, 2010 3:05 pm

rreizend

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
sure go ahead

but.. which description if i may ask?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun May 09, 2010 3:07 pm

mc~

Administrator
Administrator
All of the lines before HARUNA. Onion XD

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun May 09, 2010 3:36 pm

rreizend

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
oh

sure sure~

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun May 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Koide Namizo

International Performer
International Performer
http://www.youtube.com/user/HeseEuy
Heso...!!!

nice job rreiz...gurarararara!!!

Heso...!!!

Hehee Hehee

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon May 10, 2010 10:42 pm

dannialves

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
thanks for translating it rreizend ^^ Happy

I just love SCANDAL
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue May 11, 2010 3:59 am

zenry000

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
^

yo thx reiz~~ Nice One

-Working On A New Siggy-
RINA! RINA! ROCK YOU!
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue May 11, 2010 5:46 am

Ryo_Aya

Caless Student
Caless Student
http://www.last.fm/user/Ryo_aya
@Reinz : When you translated it... I just relized,, it's so familiar... LOL

Cool ||[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]||[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]|| Cool
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:51 pm

danny_warfield

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://www.warriorsofterrestria.wordpress.com
oh my.. I missed up that edition.. ughh my greatest regret

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dear GOD, I promise, I'll become a good boy, so when I die, I could enter the heaven, and in there I could met and own the goddesses like HARU, MAMI, RINA and TOMO Please

Back to top Go down

tomomi nickname
Posted on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:38 am

vgncr353

Caless Student
Caless Student
do tomomi have many niickname? can u name few?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:02 am

tomo13

International Performer
International Performer
http://tom8loz.tumblr.com/
Nice Find Indeed Nice One thanks a lot:D

ToHaRiMa=SCANDAL is The Best Band Of The WORLD!!!  Rich

SCANDAL  BAND Yow!    Balloon .
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:17 pm

BigDnm01

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Is this thread still alive?

SCANDAL has just been interview for this web magazine BEEAST69,
article here - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm wondering if anyone would translate it to english?

since I'm on the topic, would it be great if The SCANDAL magazine articles are posted, with or without pictures or links due to copyright, but with english translations and Magazine name, issue, contents, etc.
SCANDAL was featured on many, many magazine, newspaper, web articles in Japanese or others, and I'm hoping that there is a forum here that would post it all up with translation, if possible, for fans who don't read the said language.
All article is it's own topic, all in one forums. There is a interview forums of SCANDAL under SCANDAL MEDIA, but those are mainly video/tv appearance interviews.
I really hope there is one for Magazine articles plus translation. such as those GO! GO! GUITAR, GiGs, CD&DL, B.L.T. and all other web articles.
I know some are just bits and pieces, but any info is great info.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:32 am

mami_love

Caless Student
Caless Student
Thanks for translating!

I didn't know that SCANDAL is close with PERFUME!

Also why does MAMI have so many guitars??!! all other members only have 2 each, but MAMI has 4!! is she rich???

Back to top Go down