7th Album - 『YELLOW』 [Page 20 of 23]

Re: 7th Album - 『YELLOW』
Posted Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:17 am

TOMOmeow

TOMOmeow

International Performer
International Performer
https://instagram.com/thedapperrunner
I am writing an album review on Yellow. Hopefully my submission will be published despite of "late" entry since this will be my first attempt in professional writing. Regardless if my entry gets published or not, I will post my review here and on my upcoming blog.

I am about to claim my Tee LE and pay customs taxes through the Central Post Office an hour from now.

Right now, I am enjoying Heven Na Kibun, Love, and Suki-Suki. These songs just really stand out!

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:32 am

dbudy

dbudy

Caless Student
Caless Student
Still waiting for weekly oricon chart sales

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

YELLOW debuts at #2 on Oricon Weekly Album Ranking:

The seventh album 『YELLOW』 for SCANDAL, who will be celebrating their tenth anniversary in August, debuted at #2 with 29,315 copies in first week sales. They have updated their highest ranking since setting their #3 positions with their previous album 『HELLO WORLD』, released in 2014, and their other 5 albums.

http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2068130/full/

#front-page

yellowlinernotes - 7th Album - 『YELLOW』 - Page 20 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:09 am

neotono

neotono

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Maybe the reason why they have lower sales is because of two other girl bands releasing their albums on the same day. Still great that they got a #2 on the weekly ranking.

yellowlinernotes - 7th Album - 『YELLOW』 - Page 20 9CS8aFq
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:52 am

mio_akiyama

mio_akiyama

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
neotono wrote:Maybe the reason why they have lower sales is because of two other girl bands releasing their albums on the same day. Still great that they got a #2 on the weekly ranking.
Perhaps, though Scandal is definitely more popular than Shishamo Wink
I probably would have preordered the Shishamo one as well had I known about it...

yellowlinernotes - 7th Album - 『YELLOW』 - Page 20 Scanda10
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:10 am

Lale

Lale

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
The SH podcast episode 4 is out, we talk about YELLOW 

We are trying a different style because we think this makes it much smoother and its more enjoyable to listen to, let us know what you think!

There might be some adult language so beware! We tried to make it short but well... it came out to 30 minutes lol

neotono
Maybe the reason why they have lower sales is because of two other girl bands releasing their albums on the same day. Still great that they got a #2 on the weekly ranking.

Yeah Silent Siren's new stuff is out as well and thats ranking pretty high

yellowlinernotes - 7th Album - 『YELLOW』 - Page 20 Slide-13
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:33 am

alrick13

alrick13

with Yellow they extend their record as the only girl-band ever to have all albums in the top 5 of the Oricon Weekly Charts

yellowlinernotes - 7th Album - 『YELLOW』 - Page 20 AzwBVmg
SCANDAL x miwa
Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:09 am

sonic0313

sonic0313

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Just got my copy DVD edition. I'm enjoying it very much. The Rina folder was a surprise. .clap.

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:20 am

Joshua10red

Joshua10red

International Performer
International Performer
07 march YELLOW on #4
08 March YELLOW on #25

yellowlinernotes - 7th Album - 『YELLOW』 - Page 20 JeAv1Q8
Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:18 pm

TOMOmeow

TOMOmeow

International Performer
International Performer
My thoughts about the T-shirt LE packaging and album sleeve is VERY NEAT. It gives me a impression based on the packaging alone. I acquired a large shirt that fits right, not too tight except for the sleeves which is a bit loose. I'm 5'7", 140 lbs, by the way.

The album content has the familiar SCANDAL poppy sound more sounded like their debut album than its progressive rock-flavored predecessor HELLO WORLD. It also has a mixture of genre such as punk rock (not their usual pop punk), hard rock, and reggae. So far, I am loving Heaven Na Kibun which reminiscent to mid 90s grunge recordings of Veruca Salt and Manic Street Preachers. SCANDAL pulled off some reggae rock music very well through tracks Suki-Suki and Love. I have noticed that Haruna's vocal range becomes one scale higher and sharper which is a major, major improvement. While, defacto chief songwriter Mami-chan started incorporating short yet sweet blues rock solos particularly in Happy Birthday and Chisana Honoo.

My impression is right that Yellow is consider as a concept album because of such connection of themes from one song to another. In my opinion, Yellow is their best album released by SCANDAL so far.

Please forgive me with the spoilers! XD

Last edited by MamiNoodles on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:32 pm

mio_akiyama

mio_akiyama

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
MamiNoodles wrote:My thoughts about the T-shirt LE packaging and album sleeve is VERY NEAT. It gives me a impression based on the packaging alone. I acquired a large shirt that fits right, not too tight except for the sleeves which is a bit loose. I'm 5'7", 140 lbs, by the way.

The album content has the familiar SCANDAL poppy sound more sounded like their debut album than its progressive rock-flavored predecessor HELLO WORLD. It also has a mixture of genre such as punk rock (not their usual pop punk), hard rock, and reggae. So far, I am loving Heaven Na Kibun which reminiscent to mid 90s grunge recordings of Veruca Salt and Manic Street Preachers. SCANDAL pulled off reggae rock very well through tracks Suki-Suki and Love. I have noticed that Haruna's vocal range becomes one scale higher and sharper which is a major, major improvement. While, defacto chief songwriter Mami-chan started incorporating short yet sweet blues rock solos particularly in Happy Birthday and Chisana Honoo.

My impression is right that Yellow is consider as a concept album because of such connection of themes from one song to another. In my opinion, Yellow is their best album released by SCANDAL so far.

Please forgive me with the spoilers! XD

I think it's safe to say there shouldn't be any spoilers by now, as most if not all of us have heard the album Happy

Interesting to note the T-Shirt sizing - I am the same height and size as you, and I get the "flappy arms" on T-shirts cos I don't have very big arms. So, you'll be wearing it, or storing it? Tongue

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:51 pm

TOMOmeow

TOMOmeow

International Performer
International Performer
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

mio_akiyama wrote:Interesting to note the T-Shirt sizing - I am the same height and size as you, and I get the "flappy arms" on T-shirts cos I don't have very big arms. So, you'll be wearing it, or storing it? Tongue

I have plans of wearing my shirt in the near future. My arms are small but firm so, I may end up rolling its sleeves. I'll take care of it by handwashing with Perwoll Black detergent. Wink

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:50 am

Joshua10red

Joshua10red

International Performer
International Performer
09 March Yellow is on #18

yellowlinernotes - 7th Album - 『YELLOW』 - Page 20 JeAv1Q8
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:01 pm

iamcrazymike

iamcrazymike

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://www.crazygolucky.com
neotono wrote:Maybe the reason why they have lower sales is because of two other girl bands releasing their albums on the same day. Still great that they got a #2 on the weekly ranking.

Well I ended up getting Silent Siren's album, so that's where my sale went.  .plank.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:27 pm

victor_survive

victor_survive

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
iamcrazymike wrote:

Well I ended up getting Silent Siren's album, so that's where my sale went.  .plank.

Why?

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:40 pm

Sjögren

Sjögren

Caless Student
Caless Student
@MamiNoodles   they released a Size L shirt? I thought they'll only release medium sized shirt? I asked CD Japan and they said it's a medium sized shirt, that's why I opted to choose the CD version. Waaa Onion

Anyway, regarding the album, I kinda agree with MamiNoodles here, it's more of a laid back album compared to Hello World. I think Love is one of the interesting songs in this album, I mean, a side from being a reggae song, I hear and feel how Bob Marley would write his songs, they tried a new genre and it turned out perfect. One of the reasons why to love Scandal.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:45 pm

iamcrazymike

iamcrazymike

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://www.crazygolucky.com
victor_survive wrote:
iamcrazymike wrote:

Why?

Ultimately when it came down to it, based on the music, Silent Siren's song previews appealed to me more than Scandal's. Also there are other upcoming albums I'm interested in, but since I'm on a budget I'm really trying to focus on just buying the albums I feel like I will enjoy and not have buyer's remorse over. In the case of Scandal, as much as I liked Love Me Do and SUKI SUKI, the other songs just didn't really click for me.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:03 pm

playfoolgene

playfoolgene

Caless Student
Caless Student
Mmmm... I think I'll rate YELLOW 8/10

Well, maybe after listening to it a bunch of times will change my rating. HELLO WORLD is pretty solid. For me, Heaven na Kibun's sound really stands out like it doesn't belong. But the song is great and I really like Mami's guitar work here. I think it would be great if the album was more of a Hard Rock than Pop but that's okay as this was the first time they have done it. The rest of the songs transitioned well. SUKI - SUKI is the "SCANDAL sound". Sunday Drive sounds like Green Day's Stray Heart and its cool. Konya wa Pizza Party is my favorite track and this song reminds me of ELLEGARDEN's Pizzaman especially the "Tururu" chants and they're both about Pizza!
.clap.

The songs you grow to like never stick at first...  .uhuh.

yellowlinernotes - 7th Album - 『YELLOW』 - Page 20 Scanda11
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:06 pm

TOMOmeow

TOMOmeow

International Performer
International Performer
Sjögren wrote:@MamiNoodles   they released a Size L shirt? I thought they'll only release medium sized shirt? I asked CD Japan and they said it's a medium sized shirt, that's why I opted to choose the CD version. Waaa Onion

CDJapan told me that the same information too. They have an impression to international customers that medium for us is large for the locals. Most of us know that Japan has smaller shirt sizes compare to US, UK, etc. The shirt fits like US medium (not GAP sizes) to me.

My rating for the CD is 5/5.
My rating for the shirt: 3.5/5 -- there a few flaws on the sleeve sizing

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:34 pm

dobondo

dobondo

Caless Student
Caless Student
http://dobondo.tumblr.com
So my DVD copy arrived ^^ This was my first time ordering to CDJapan and it went amazing, nice packaging, timing, and I was very surprised for the first press bonus. Also, this is my first physical SCANDAL CD. The cd case, the booklet, the disks, everything's so beautiful! I'm very happy:)

I've had decided to not listen to anything until the arrival of my CD. I prefer to listen the whole album on a round.
They went very experimental with this record, songs like "Heaven na Kibun", it has a QOTSA sound that I like, "LOVE" with that "reggae" sound that everyone talk about, or the intro "Room No.7", so refreshing instrumental.
Also, I really ...really like the new "Your Song". Pretty impressive english, I was expecting an "engrish" song but they nailed it.

From pop to hard rock, HELLO WORLD was the door, YELLOW is the result of that gap. SCANDAL is slowly dominating the world

P.S: I'm still trying to reproduce the DVD because of the region lock lol

EDIT: I forgot to say that I like the "new" MAMI voice in Your Song. She has such a beautiful voice, I'm a bit disappointed for the lack of Solo songs, Heaven na Kibun would be more than perfect with MAMI's voice 
.love.

Last edited by dobondo on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to write about MAMI awesome voice)

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:00 pm

msc_

msc_

Caless Student
Caless Student
I'm really loving Yellow so far. Love Me Do and Konya Wa Pizza Party are stuck in my head. Suki Suki gets better every time I listen to it and I have to say that Room No. 7 has a real psychobilly feel to it and harkens back to some of their older material.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:16 pm

Liokt

Liokt

Caless Student
Caless Student
https://www.last.fm/user/Liokt
So, I'm still obsessed with "LOVE ME DO", but I finally changed my mind about "SUKI-SUKI"; it's perfect. I do have some issues with the album, but they're disappearing little by little while I'm getting into it. I wasn't particularly excited about "Heaven na Kibun" at first - and I'm still - but it's kinda growing on me. I saw other members here using this same sentence ("growing on me") when they were describing their feelings about "YELLOW" . I think this album isn't "you love or you hate, nothing in between" imo; you have to listen more than only one time. MAMI is a great musician, her creativity is unbelievable, I feel incredibly proud of her: she can do it!

About "LOVE ME DO" again... Isn't the main guitar riff of "LOVE ME DO" similar to the main guitar riff of Grimes' song called "Artangels"? What do you think?

Last edited by Liokt on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:48 pm

mio_akiyama

mio_akiyama

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

Liokt wrote:So, I'm still obsessed with "LOVE ME DO", but I finally changed my mind about "SUKI-SUKI"; it's perfect. I do have some issues with the album, but they're disappearing little by little while I'm getting into it. I wasn't particularly excited about "Heaven na Kibun" at first - and I'm still - but it's kinda growing on me. I saw other members here using this same sentence ("growing on me") when they were describing their feelings about "YELLOW" . I think this album isn't "you love or you hate, nothing in between" imo; you have to listen more than only one time. MAMI is a great musician, her creativity is unbelievable, I feel incredibly proud of her: she can do it!

Totally, Liokt!
I give it a rating of 7.5/10 now after having now listened to the album at least a dozen times. First impressions change (even though I had listened to it 4 times when I reviewed it, that was only over a few hours, and the songs really didn't get time to work their magic). I am impressed by both Mami (song-writing/composing) and Haruna (vocals) on this album. I think their next album will be more focused, but for their first solo effort, I think it was good for them to test the waters and their creativity with a wide range of music styles. .cool.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:55 pm

victor_survive

victor_survive

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
For 3/10 Yellow is at  #15

Last edited by victor_survive on Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:44 am

Joshua10red

Joshua10red

International Performer
International Performer
victor_survive wrote:For 3/10 Yellow is at  #14
Correction.... on #15
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/d/2016-03-10/p/2/
Edit:
March 11 YELLOW on #12