Who does SCANDAL remind you most of?
Posted on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:02 am

USAadoresU

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Lately I've wondered what influences and impacts other musicians have had on SCANDAL.

As stated before, I've seen rock n' roll since it's infancy, but only in the West.

When interviewed, the greatest musicians of all time refer to inspirations from other masters of their craft.

Can anyone here help me out with references the Ladies of SCANDAL may have stated as inspirations?

Back to top Go down

Re: Who does SCANDAL remind you most of?
Posted on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:11 am

USAadoresU

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Let me clarify- No single person or group reminds me of SCANDAL. It would take at least a dozen or more of my favorites to "blend" into something even approaching them, but my opinions are colored by my western exposure.

Thanks  -Dave

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:27 am

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
Well one group that may surprise you is KISS, they said they rented lots of their videos to see how to move on stage, but lucky for us they did not copy the makeup Happy

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Don Dio

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Said it before, individually they remind me of KISS (or The Beatles and The Monkees) in that each one has a distinct personality and (organically) is a "Character" in the band.  Like KISS and The Beatles, they weren't a contrived marketing idea by some record company bigwig: "Tomomi is going to be the funny, quiet one; Mami will be the weird, artistic one; Rina is the chatty, young visionary; and Haruna is the reluctant leader/boss heartthrob with the slick dance moves."

Their personalities are more than all that, but that's a general sense of how they could have been packaged by some Svengali type and forced them to play a role.  Thankfully who they are is very natural and not contrived.  Because of this, and also like those bands I mentioned, each member has their own passionate fan base.  Led Zeppelin was a phenomenal band, but I have never heard anyone argue that John Paul Jones rules over any the other guys.   Like KISS, Scandal has a pretty even fan base between members.   I think that's rare for bands.

Musically-speaking they remind me a lot like Cheap Trick.  CT are the masters of power-pop rock.  They have Beatles-esque melodies in a hard, garage rock/punkish shell.  Virtually everything they recorded was catchy and rocking.  Scandal is no different.  Both bands have ventured into more pop territory with equally mixed results, but their core sounds revolve around melodic power pop.  

I wish I was familiar with more classic Japanese artists to make a comparison with what they remind me of, but thanks to YouTube and the R-Girls Rock EP, I get the sense that singers like Keiko Terada and Nanase Aikawa were quite influential.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:53 am

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

I think that "who they remind me of" and "who their influences are" are probably two different things. From your post rather than your post title, it sounds like you're more interested in what their actual influences are.

Well, in the beginning they were mostly playing other peoples' music and were obviously wearing costumes somebody designed for them. So you could say their musical influences were directly those writing and producing their songs (which you can look up) and their image was a mix of stuff that had been successful in Japan around that time, especially AKB48 with the school uniforms, who all four of Scandal say they like. (They initially wore uniforms because they were in school at that time, but they wore street clothes at their early shows and the uniforms they wore after their major label debut were custom-made costumes, not real uniforms. So this was a conscious decision at that point.)

That said, I also don't think it's coincidence that there was a Japanese movie called "Linda Linda Linda" about a group of schoolgirls very much like Scandal covering punk songs shortly before Scandal was formed. Scandal themselves have made no secret of the fact that they were asked to form the band rather than it happening by chance, so I think there's a strong possibility that this was an idea that was just kind of out there in pop culture at the time and somebody decided to do it for real. If you watch "Linda Linda Linda", you can easily imagine the group in that film *being* Scandal. I mean their story is very, very similar, minus the Korean singer. And Scandal was actually formed just a couple years later.

Nowadays it's mostly Mami that writes the music and while I'm sure they have a stylist and they also have various promotional deals with clothing, accessory and makeup makers, they have more freedom to express themselves in how they look. A while back Mami did a special issue for Go! Go! Guitar! magazine, and I typed out the influences and favorites she listed in there at this old thread: https://www.scandal-heaven.com/t8765-musical-preferences-of-scandal#605796

If you scroll up a bit in that thread, you can see some of the favorites of the other members in an earlier reply.

But as for their current image, I don't really know - I don't know if they're influenced by someone specific or if they're just wearing and styling themselves how they want based on the same criteria anyone else uses. They definitely don't generally wear matching outfits or costumes anymore, although sometimes they might for something special (like the Honey cover, or a special concert).

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:07 am

Matsui

Caless Student
Caless Student
https://forest-of-thoughts-and-images.tumblr.com/
To people who don't know them i always describe them as a mix of Greenday, Offspring, Nirvana, Blink 182 and Sum41. Only much prettier  

Freedomfighter
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:58 am

izzy

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Matsui wrote:To people who don't know them i always describe them as a mix of Greenday, Offspring, Nirvana, Blink 182 and Sum41. Only much prettier  

That is also what I say when I try to describe them to someone who doesn't know them...  a mix of Greenday, Offspring and Avril Lavigne.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:36 am

akko_

Caless Student
Caless Student
They kind of remind me of an all-female Knuckle Puck. KP are really versatile, though primarily staying towards pop-punk with some light post-hardcore influences, yet are capable of writing catchy, poppy hooks.  Both are really high energy that just make you want to go out there and play music. 

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:10 am

Tuba

Caless Student
Caless Student
Now that you guys mentioned it, I can feel the KISS influence on some of their first songs like DOLL, Maboroshi Night and Ring!Ring!Ring!

Yumemiru Tsubasa always reminded me of L'Arc En Ciel.

Back to top Go down