Administrator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)

【Translated Summary】
『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Episode 35

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 YWWw3Ur
Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 CFlmiwN

•The episode starts out with the band celebrating the 12th anniversary of their major label debut. They're holding party poppers in their hands, which TOMO says she's nervous about (due to the loud noise they make when popped), and MAMI goes, "Wait, which way do we face [to pop them]?" They decide to point them upwards. HARU goes, "Congrats on SCANDAL's 12th major label debut anniversary!" and they pop the poppers. HARU says that unfortunately they cannot play their debut song ("DOLL"), so "Masterpiece" is played instead.

•After "Masterpiece" plays, HARU reads a message from a female listener who recently passed their teacher employment exam, and asks the band to do their usual line. The band laughs and goes, "Hey! Teacher!" She says that she did their best on this year's exam because she wanted the band to say that. She then says that originally wasn't going to take the exam this year due to it overlapping with ultimate frisbee tournaments, but the tournaments were postponed until next year due to COVID, and so she was able to take the exam after all. She says it's unfortunate that the tournaments were postponed, but it was also a good opportunity to fulfill another dream of hers. In times like this people tend to feel down, but instead of just looking at the bad things, she's going to thoroughly digest each small piece of happiness that happens and be positive. She then asks the band what are some moments of happiness that have happened to them recently.

•The band recognizes her from this episode and congratulates her on passing the exam. MAMI says that something happy that happened to her recently is that she finally got to air out her futon (airing it outside helps to keep it fluffy and helps prevent mold and mites). It's been raining lately, so on a day when finally happened to be sunny she got to air it out. TOMO says that hers is that she got to touch an owl for the first time, which happened to be at a cafe she went to. The band confirms with her that she didn't go to an owl cafe, which TOMO says no to, and that it was a cafe that happened to have an owl there. She says that when she first touched it, it felt like a futon (RINA: "That's how you're connecting it [to MAMI's]?"). She says that its eyes were so adorable and huge. MAMI mentions that her mom loves owls and that she went to an owl cafe with her. There, you can have owls jump on your arm, and MAMI says that their grip strength is pretty tough. The band talks more about owls, like how there are different types and how cute their expressions are. RINA asks if they're friendly, and MAMI says it depends on the type; some are friendly while some don't want to be touched. For RINA, this happened a little while ago, but her small happiness was getting to meet [who I'm guessing to be, because she doesn't outright say his name,] Masafumi from the band Seven Billion Dots. She's been writing new songs and going to the studio more often recently, and when she was in the studio for pre-production, a producer she knows was in the studio next door and asked her to come over and meet this artist they were with. She thought the artist's voice seemed familiar, and she realized that he's on the Abema show "Who is a Wolf?", which she's currently in the middle of watching, so it made her happy to meet him. She said that she had a lot of questions she wanted to ask but the show still isn't done airing. TOMO says that he'd probably sidestep the questions, and that the only thing he could probably say is that he isn't the wolf. HARU says that seeing RINA excited like this is a bit rare. TOMO mentions Seven Billion Dots, which is the band that Masafumi is in [which is why I think he's the person RINA met], and calls them a refreshing band. HARU says that her small happiness was when she watched NiziU's live performance in TV that morning. MAMI points out that none of their happinesses had to do with their 12th anniversary, which the band laughs at.

This happens next.

•HARU reads the next message from a listener who happened to see them when they performed at the now-defunct Knitting Factory back in 2008 on the Japan Nite tour. When they saw SCANDAL then, they could feel that they were powerful girls. They then rediscovered SCANDAL when they released their cover of "DAYDREAM" by JUDY and MARY. They thought, "Ah, they're young but they're wonderful" and ends their sentence with "de gozaru," which is an archaic way of saying "desu" and in modern times is used when characters in film/TV want to sound like a samurai. The band laughs and MAMI goes, "Are they a samurai?" They joke that the listener's in the wrong century and that perhaps they're a time traveler. HARU goes back to reading the message. The listener says that they recently learned about the "Catch up" program and apologizes that they only started catching up on their newer music after learning about "Catch up." The reason they say they're writing this message is because of what MAMI said in a previous episode about being interested in mountain climbing, and hopes that she get even more interested in it (they also end their sentence with "de gozaru" again). MAMI had also said she's interested in mushroom picking, and they say that their parents in Japan own a mushroom farm and hopes she visits. However, since they in LA, they will most likely not be able to help her out. After HARU finishes reading the message, RINA goes, "They've lived abroad so long that they've forgotten how to speak in keigo," which the band cracks up at. They deduce that the listener is from Japan, and RINA says that they sound like what people abroad who love anime think the average Japanese person sounds like. As for mushroom picking, MAMI says that she'd love to go, and that there are a lot of places that have planters with mushrooms in them that were taken from elsewhere, and that there are a lot of ones that have you go picking in plastic greenhouses, so picking them on a mountain is pretty cool. RINA says that you'd need to go with someone that's able to tell which mushrooms are which since there are edible and inedible kinds as well as poisonous ones. HARU says they should go mushroom picking and asks their program staff what they think. They say it sounds interesting. HARU mentions that they already shot a program outdoors and on location before, so they're already experienced with it. The band says they'll be waiting.

•They then close out the episode. They talk about how they're getting quite a few love advice messages, and that a lot of people from their generation seem to be having worries about love. RINA says that knowing that people around their age have similar problems makes her want them to take it all a little more lightheartedly as there's no need to rush.

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (4 votes)

Fine Line Association established! Find the line between two ambiguous words!

Episode #36 blog

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 WFXXnk5

HARUNA: Let's start with a message.

Otou-san ("otousan" = "dad")
Good evening, SCANDAL.
When do you feel that autumn's here?
I feel that it's autumn when I'm on the toilet seat. When I sit on the toilet seat and go, "So chilly!", it makes me go, "It sure is autumn〜," and turn on the toilet seat heating. I turned it on this year too. I then put on my favorite corduroy pants.

RINA: That's definitely dad-like...

MAMI: Corduroy is effective [against the cold]...

RINA: He has that dad vibe through and through...

MAMI: It's certainly autumn.

RINA: It is autumn.

HARUNA: Switching from summer to autumn... Here's one more message.

Jasmine
I always have fun listening to your program. Thank you very much.
Recently, I cheated on my girlfriend of two years and we broke things off as a result.
Also before that, I dated someone for about 2 1/2 years and we broke things off since I cheated on her too.
Me cheating was not my partner's fault; it's that I'm lacking something. I'd like for you to tell me the secret to staying in a happy relationship for a long time (cries).

RINA: Something should pop up after two years, right? Like some aspect that should be changed should just come up to the surface.

MAMI: It's great that think they have faults in themselves as well.

HARUNA: That's because it's not the first time it's happened; it's something they've already experienced.

MAMI: Something definitely should have popped out...

RINA: You should get your head on straight after two years.

HARUNA: The word "cheating" came up, but from where...
Well, there's something ambiguous about it, right? We get a lot of messages like this, so we've created a new segment.
"Catch up Fine Line Association"

RINA: I like that...

TOMOMI: Me too.

HARUNA: It sounds good.

MAMI: I think that's awesome.

TOMOMI: ...it's unusual.

(Staff: This is the first time we've been stung [by your guys' words]...)

HARUNA: I'm glad we cast a lot of them.
And so,

There's a fine line among all things that seems like it does not exist.
The line is different depending on the person and area.
Let's seriously consider this "fine line."
That will be the "Catch up Fine Line Association."

There are several themes here written on these flipped-over cards.
You can open whatever card you want and talk about its fine line.

RINA: (*Drawing a card) "Geniuses and eccentrics."

All: Wowー

RINA: There's certainly a paper-thin difference. Both lead solitary lives. Which one is misunderstood by others... That's the question, isn't it?

HARUNA: For geniuses...

RINA: Geniuses are so advanced that they understand so many things, and there are a lot of things they don't see eye to eye with the people around them.

TOMOMI: It's said that [Thomas] Edison was odd when he was a child, but it's because he was genius.

MAMI: It's difficult to say; they're two peas in a pod. Geniuses are eccentrics, eccentrics are geniuses. When you talk to someone who's said to be a genius, you'll find that they're quite the eccentric person.

HARUNA: I feel like you can tell the difference between a genius and a bright person. Like, is it inherited or acquired? Do geniuses have the potential from the start?

TOMOMI: I think they have the potential.

HARUNA: Eccentrics also have potential.

RINA: "Genius" has a better ring to it. The reason why they can't convey what they want to do is because they're too advanced, which is a positive thing. But those around them can't understand them as they're too far ahead. Eccentrics focus on themselves.

MAMI: This is difficult...

RINA: What do you think, TOMO?

TOMOMI: Hm, I don't know... I look up to both.

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down
Steadystate

Steadystate

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Haruna wrote:we've created a new segment.
"Catch up Fine Line Association"
Looking forward to this segment, seems like it could unearth a lot of cultural differences between Japan and everywhere else with regards to what's "borderline". Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 1f600 

Tomo has always seemed the most eccentric of the group and the rest have referred to her as "airhead" quite a few times, guess it may just be that she's a genius  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 1f602

Back to top Go down
etwee

etwee

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Steadystate wrote:Tomo has always seemed the most eccentric of the group and the rest have referred to her as "airhead" quite a few times….  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 1f602
I think "airhead" is not an accurate translation. Can somebody retrieve the Japanese word that was used for TOMO and give us a better idea of what it really means?

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
etwee wrote:
Steadystate wrote:Tomo has always seemed the most eccentric of the group and the rest have referred to her as "airhead" quite a few times….  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 1f602
I think "airhead" is not an accurate translation. Can somebody retrieve the Japanese word that was used for TOMO and give us a better idea of what it really means?

I remember we had this discussion in some interview thread (probably) years ago and I realized that I hadn't been using the right translation for that word, but I have no idea which thread that was in.

I do know that the word always used to describe her is "天然" (tennen), which can mean a lot of different things, but it doesn't always mean something negative like the word "airhead" usually does; it can also be used to describe someone in a funny/playful way. So, in TOMO's case, I think "goofball" is probably the closest. It's not as negative as airhead and more playful-sounding.

Back to top Go down
Steadystate

Steadystate

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
^ Iirc "tennen" was used to describe Tomo in at least "SCANDAL IN THE HOUSE" lyrics and this 2016 interview (thanks TGE for subbing it).

The former was definitely something playful given the nature of the song, and the latter was specifically in the context of Tomo frequently misplacing her belongings. So yes it probably could mean many things, but definitely nothing disrespectful Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 1f602

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

【Translated Summary】
『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Episode 36

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 LG771BT
Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 XcmGlRP

•The episode starts out with this.

•The band continues talking about geniuses/eccentrics. RINA says that for musicians it can be a compliment for someone to say that they're odd since it could make them look cool. TOMO says that there are nothing but people (musicians) who think they're cool and that they're geniuses. MAMI says that there might be a paper-thin difference since musicians are in a position to express themselves, but there might be different boundary lines for people who work at regular companies. RINA agrees and says that there might be times when you're happy to be called an eccentric and times when you're not. MAMI says that whether or not someone is happy to be called weird depends on what kind of life they're living. RINA wonders if people overseas view SCANDAL like this. The band laughs and MAMI says she doesn't think so while HARU says she doesn't know. She also says that she doesn't think people strive to be either a genius or an eccentric. RINA agrees and says it's something out of one's control. HARU then says that it's all about talent, and says that it was difficult to give an answer to this question. TOMO says, "We don't have to give an answer, right?"

•After "A.M.D.K.J." plays, MAMI draws the next card which is "sugoi (awesome, crazy, to a great extent, etc.) and yabai (crazy, awesome, bad, dangerous, etc.)." The band goes, "Uwahh," and RINA says she really likes this theme. She also says that "yabai" basically fits any situation. MAMI agrees and says that it can be used in all kinds of ways, like "that yabai sports player" [Note: In this context, it could either mean the player is either really bad or really good]. HARU says that originally "yabai" most likely was used in a negative way. MAMI says that "sugoi" is a pretty normal and has a comparatively straight-forward meaning while "yabai" has a lot of different meanings. HARU thinks that "sugoi" probably originally was used as a more mild term. MAMI wonders what the origin of these words are and decides to look them up. She first looks up "sugoi," and says that the word in hiragana has a more mild meaning compared to when it's in its kanji, like it looks more stiff. This site kind of explains its supposed origin. They then move onto "yabai." HARU wonders when it first started being used. RINA says that when she was in elementary school the students were told to stop saying it when they would use it too much. MAMI then reads the origin of the word, which is explained here. TOMO says that the word "egui" has been a popular slang term recently. It originally had negative connotations, but now it's also used to describe when something's cool. HARU says that the band uses another word, "shindoi" (tough, painful) in the same way. MAMI says an example: "That's so cute it's painful." RINA mentions social media and that people use "bad" words in a good/positive way to convey passion through text. MAMI says that young people have an affect on how things are perceived.

•TOMO chooses the next card which is "kindness and meddling." She says it's pretty easy to understand the differences between the two, which RINA asks her in what way. TOMO says that both are for the other party, but kindness is doing something for the other person because you want them to be happy while meddling is when the other person wishes that you didn't do something. RINA says you can tell which it is by the end results. She also says that they both start with good feelings, but the end result may depend on what the other person thinks. MAMI says that if the other person tells you "I didn't really ask for this," then it's probably meddling. TOMO says that they both begin from the same place.

•The band then recaps on the themes they covered, and HARU says that they hope the listeners can join the Fine Line Association and send in themes for them to discuss on the program.

Steadystate wrote:Iirc "tennen" was used to describe Tomo in at least "SCANDAL IN THE HOUSE" lyrics and this 2016 interview (thanks TGE for subbing it)

Yes, I did both of those translations, but the thread I was referring to was something else completely. I think it was some interview thread in 2017-ish where people thought that "airhead" sounded like a negative way to describe TOMO, and I agreed. I started off the whole "airhead" thing because I wasn't aware of the nuances of the word in Japanese and chose a less accurate translation of it. I should have changed them in my other translations that mentioned that word but forgot to.

So, to reiterate what I said earlier, I think it'd be more accurate to translate the word as "goofball." It's more silly and less negative.

Back to top Go down
hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

I don't think I qualify as a wordsmith, but I am a bit of a hobbyist. A person who collects balls of aluminum foil is an eccentric. A person who collects balls of aluminum foil and sells them at an art gallery for a meelion dollars is a genius. A person wearing exotic animal print clothing from head to toe in Omaha is eccentric. The same person in Osaka is an older woman. Neither one is a genius, probably.
Yabai is interesting. Michael Jackson was evidently "bad", which was taken as a good trait. If you point out some outlaw on the street and tell your kid to watch out for that person because they're "bad", the kid might note what sounds like reverence in your voice, and assume you admire the person for their badness. Thus, bad is interpreted as good.
The word terrific used to mean something that would induce terror. "Awesome" is something that causes awe, defined as something between fear and wonder, as in "shock and awe". But get stoned and awesome becomes something really neato. And what's up with "cool" and "hot"? What if Dave Grohl and Paris Hilton had a conversation? Would they compromise and call everything "warm"?
Unlike some cultures, (I'm looking at you, France) the Japanese seem to enjoy playing with their language, and don't mind borrowing words, or bending meanings, or coming up with novel compound words and abbreviations. And puns.
Anyway, I think sugoi has the clearer meaning, and I'm glad I found a point to this post. I was starting to sound pretty eccentric.

Last edited by hogradish on Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : drank more coffee.)

Friendship. Effort. Victory.
Back to top Go down
Don Dio

Don Dio

International Performer
International Performer
You thanked this post! -

This whole conversation made me think of those rock geniuses known as Spinal Tap:

Back to top Go down
hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Don, I would have responded with a laugh earlier, but I was trapped in my pod.

Back to top Go down
Don Dio

Don Dio

International Performer
International Performer
hogradish wrote:Don, I would have responded with a laugh earlier, but I was trapped in my pod.

Just as long as you weren't also trampled by some dancing dwarves I am glad you you're safe.

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

The program's novelty "Apollo pouch" item is finally complete!! The members are also very satisfied with the finished item!

Episode #37 blog

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 YOZtN0E

HARUNA: Thanks for waiting... The Apollo pouch is finally complete!

All: Yayー!

TOMOMI: This is adorable.

RINA: It's seriously so cuteー

MAMI: They faithfully reproduced what we had talked about... It's shaped like a piece of Apollo and it's see-through!

TOMOMI: The quality's really good for it being a novelty item...

MAMI: It's a wonderful collaboration.

HARUNA: Yeah, the size is good too.

MAMI: Ah, oh yeah! You can slip it right into your bag.

...er, we're so excited that it's as if we were on an infomercial, but it really is a wonderful collaboration item.

TOMOMI: So, how would one be able to get this, again?

HARUNA: Yes, we'll give it to those who really make us go, "That message was so good!!"

All: Wow!!

TOMOMI: The bar's pretty high. You won't get us to say "That message was so good!!" that easily...

HARUNA: We'll decide when it comes time to, so we'll be waiting for your messages.

That's all for our important announcement.

This is what the Apollo pouch looks like⬇

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 THe8RJG

It has SCANDAL's logo on it⬇

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 1lbq6Br

HARUNA: Now then, today we'll be reading messages.
We've already gotten a message for the "Fine Line Association" segment.

Kirara Kaidou
【Fine Line Association】
Eating breakfast at 11:30 am and eating lunch at 11:30 am

MAMI: "Eating breakfast at 11:30 am and eating lunch at 11:30 am"...the fine line between those!?

TOMOMI: So the question is, is 11:30 am considered breakfast or lunch...I see.

MAMI: I personally would say it's lunch.

HARUNA: Even if you get up at 11?

MAMI: Yeah, I think you'd start with lunch. What do you guys think?

TOMOMI: You don't have another meal before dinner...so maybe it's lunch.

RINA: I totally get that.

MAMI: Breakfast menus for cafes and fast food places run until 10:30 am, right?
So from 11 onwards it switches to lunch. That's why it might be considered lunch.

HARUNA: In the general sense of the world, that time would be considered lunch.

RINA: That's true.

HARUNA: But the first meal you have might be considered breakfast...

MAMI: Eh, no matter what time you wake up??

TOMOMI: The point is, what do you call the first meal of the day?

HARUNA: That's right.

TOMOMI: Breakfast?

HARUNA: Breakfast...yeaーh.

MAMI: So there's breakfast, lunch in the middle, and then you wait for nighttime... No, that means you have breakfast, and then it's already nighttime?

TOMOMI: That means you only eat in the morning and evening. Yeah, that's another way to think about it.

MAMI: I see.

All: (Silent for a while)

HARUNA: In short, it doesn't matter which one it is...

TOMOMI: If that's the case, then the Fine Line Association will be breaking up.

MAMI: Well, it means that whether you consider it breakfast or lunch is up to you...

HARUNA: Yeah. That's it!

Back to top Go down
hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
You thanked this post! -

Hmm. So in English, it's no contest, since "breakfast" is so literal. You break your fast. You start eating after not eating all night. So when you eat a meal, regardless of the time of day, it's breaking your fast, or "breakfast".
In Japanese it says here the word they use is "morning rice" meaning the morning meal. And by the way, if you think using the word rice to mean a meal seems weird, consider that prior to the potato famine, the average Irish person ate 5 pounds of potatoes a DAY. So if the Irish referred to the first meal of the day as "morning potatoes" it would have been a pretty good guess 90% of the time.
So let's go with "morning meal". In that case, you have to have it in the morning, that is, prior to noon.
On the other hand, WHAT you eat can determine how one views the meal. Toast and coffee sounds like breakfast. A hamburger and a coke sounds like lunch.
So if you go into a Denny's or a Waffle House at 11:30 and order a patty melt or something, you are ordering lunch, but if you haven't eaten since you woke up, it's ok to turn to your friend and say, "this is my breakfast."
Meanwhile, I have a really poetic essay to send to Scandal, but I'm afraid it would be difficult to translate, as it's kinda nuanced. Advice? By the way, I don't really expect them to send the Apollo pouch, I'd just ask them to give it to the first person to walk up to them in Omotesando or Harajuku to say hi, and to video it for YouTube.

Last edited by hogradish on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

Back to top Go down
Steadystate

Steadystate

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
hogradish wrote:Meanwhile, I have a really poetic essay to send to Scandal, but I'm afraid it would be difficult to translate, as it's kinda nuanced. Advice? By the way, I don't really expect them to send the Apollo pouch, I'd just ask them to give it to the first person to walk up to them in Omotesando or Harajuku to say hi, and to video it for YouTube.

Looking forward to seeing this! Your previous "Life is certainly a journey. Your car is new and beautiful." note to them was fantastic lol. 
.clap.

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (4 votes)

【Translated Summary】
『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Episode 37

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 RTZ1RHT
Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 MWuXI0O

•The episode starts out with this.

•TOMO reads a message from a listener whose previous message that asked SCANDAL for love advice was read during episode 32 (the teacher who lives in Kanagawa Prefecture while the guy she likes lives in Aichi Prefecture). She took their advice and they've been able to get along well. They've hung out several times and started becoming more than friends, so instead of letting things remain ambiguous, she decided that she'd properly tell him how she feels--but then she got worried about it being a long-distance relationship and worried that he had his hands full with work, so she wasn't able to take that step. However, since if they never went out she wouldn't know what their future would be like, so after talking it out, the two of them are now officially dating. She thanks SCANDAL for giving her courage and then asks them for new advice: At the age of 22 this is her very first boyfriend and thus doesn't know the first thing about it, so what does dating entail anyway? The band congratulates her and says they're happy they're now dating. They do talk about how being in a long-distance relationship is a little different than couples who live closer to each other, and that they hope that they can find a distance that's comfortable for both of them. They say that the listener doesn't need to think too hard about dating in itself; it's fine to just have fun and that they don't need to rush things. They also say that it'd be best if they could have a relationship where they can talk about anything with each other, and that they wish them happiness.

•RINA reads the next message from a 17-year-old high schooler who really likes a girl at school. He wants to get to know her, but she's so cute that he gets nervous when he thinks about talking to her (TOMO: "That's so cute!"). He says that she's a quiet person while he's the type of person who gets loud with his friends, which is why he thinks it might bother her if he talks to her and hasn't really tried doing anything. He asks SCANDAL for advice on what to do. The band laughs and goes, "That's sooo cute! That's so nice!" HARU goes, "Why is he so honest?!" while laughing. RINA wonders if he does kendo as his name referenced it. They keep going, "That's so nice!" (TOMO: "That's all we're able to say!"). They say that this is the best time in one's life, and MAMI says how the listener seems happy just by seeing his crush. TOMO then goes, "Wait, what did he ask again?" and everyone laughs. HARU and MAMI recap, and TOMO laughs and again goes, "That's so nice!" MAMI says it's definitely difficult for a quiet girl to join a group of noisy boys, and since it'd most likely be hard to join a group like that, it's probably better if they could create a space where it's just the two of them. She says to work up some courage and talk to her a bit while they're heading home from school.

•HARU says that it's important to also make her aware of his presence and make her go, "Ah, he talks to me every day, doesn't he? He always says good morning and says bye when we leave." By doing so, she'll become more aware of him and will make it easier to talk to her. TOMO agrees and that he should start by greeting her before and after school. HARU says that if that keeps repeating every day, they'd likely start talking about other things. TOMO says that she probably would be happy if he simply just said good morning to her every day, but MAMI again brings up that he's still at the point where all he can do is look at her. They laugh and HARU says that he probably should be oddly noisy around her. RINA wonders how he knows that she's a quiet type of person, and that seeing someone at school doesn't necessarily give you the entire picture of how someone is. TOMO says that it's probably that she's very quiet in the classroom. MAMI says that if they were to talk somewhere that wasn't school, he might get to see a different side of her. HARU says that this message was like one from a shoujo manga, which the rest agree with. They again tell him to try starting things off with greetings.

•MAMI reads the next message from a listener who's a third-year college student interested in a co-worker he calls Y-san who's two years older than him. They finally exchanged info around three months ago and then went to places like the aquarium, and he says they LINE each other every day. These have all made his feelings grow for her. However, when they were talking about going to the movies next, he found out she has a boyfriend after she told him that there were a lot of movies she wanted to see since her boyfriend doesn't have the same interests as her. He was really shocked and didn't think she was dating anyone since the two of them had been hanging out. He says that she only seems to view him as her junior and doesn't seem to realize how he feels about her, which means she doesn't see him as a potential love interest. Though he still has mixed feelings, they continue to talk to and LINE each other as well as hang out about once a month. While he's happy to get closer to her as a friend, he's hurt by the difference in their feelings. He also says that it seems like she's not telling her boyfriend when she meets up with the listener, which makes things even more complicated. There aren't many women at the science university he attends, so he says he's still fine with being friends. He asks the band what kind of relationship he should have with this woman going forward, and how he should organize his feelings.

•HARU thinks that Y-san is also unsure. MAMI agrees, stating how Y-san told the listener she and her boyfriend don't share interests and she had a lot of movies she wanted to watch, and says that she's probably also wavering. She says that if she talks about the boyfriend again, ask her a little about him. RINA says to ask about how much she likes her boyfriend, and if she seems hesistant to talk about him, the listener should appeal to her and tell her something like, "If I was in his shoes, I'd treasure you more," to make her realize how he feels about her, and to tell her that he's waiting for her. MAMI goes, "Ah, that's good," which makes a few of the members and staff laugh. RINA wonders if he should just confess his feelings, which HARU thinks could work too and TOMO thinks is the best course of action. RINA, the movie lover, goes, "Having a boyfriend who's not interested in movies, that's a little..." The band cracks up at her comment. MAMI says that since the listener says he's fine with being friends and is unsure what would happen if he confessed his feelings, he seems to want to leave it up to the right timing, but the band thinks that he should tell her how he feels. RINA says that it seems like they're both feeling half-hearted about it. TOMO says that it's sad when there's a relationship that's born out of convenience, and it's also a waste. HARU says that it's also not good to keep dragging things on. MAMI says that he should have her clearly spell things out, like whether or not this is how she usually treats her junior friends. HARU agrees, and that she should do it for the sake of the boyfriend too--and for the listener's sake too, adds TOMO. They tell him to ask her about these things and tell her how he feels. TOMO says that if he tells her, she'll probably feel moved, which the other agree with. They wish him luck.

•HARU reads the next message from a listener who became a father at age 21 and lives at his wife's parents' house. He says that while living together has its merits, his mother-in-law is often in a bad mood for very short periods of time. In addition to raising a child for the first time, he often gets mentally affected by the stress of living with the parents. He asks SCANDAL to send him a yell of encouragement. The band goes, "You're working so hard!" RINA says that it's hard to take the plunge into marriage unless you're prepared. HARU wonders what it's like to live with your in-laws, and that having to share the use of the kitchen and bathroom in itself can be very difficult, such as deciding the order in which you use them, as well as how much you should clean around the house. RINA talks about how the four of them lived together under one roof at one time, and that they weren't all that careful around each other until they started living together. It felt like there were more hurdles to jump. TOMO mentions that it's hard to live with anyone, especially parents. MAMI wonders how long the listener's family has all been living together. She then references the character Masuo (the dad) from the anime Sasae-san and how when he goes drinking with his dad, the dad gets super drunk. She says that they could take cues from the show and that there could be opportunities for them to have fun together, such as drinking alcohol, watching TV programs or movies--basically, it'd be nice to find something that they can all enjoy as parents.

•RINA says that while they may live together, it's important to value your own time. She says that he and his wife should ensure that they have some time to themselves at home. She then also talks about Masuo from Sasae-san and how he likes art and likes to draw. She says he uses Sasae-san (his wife) as a reference model, which TOMO recognizes is from the most recent episode of the show. RINA then talks about how she watches Chibi Maruko-chan every day, and that she really likes anime series that depicts families like that. She thinks that it's important to find your own place in your family. HARU brings up the part about what the listener said about his MIL and her temper, and she thinks that he should just treat the MIL very kindly. He's probably thinking about how this-and-this will make her made so he basically can't do anything, but if he treats her kindly to an extent every day, she'll probably start opening up. TOMO mentions that the relationship you have with your family as a whole and the one you have with individual members can surprisingly be different, and that it's the same for the band too. She says that it's important to talk to every family member. MAMI wonders if the wife knows about this problem, which HARU thinks she does. MAMI says that it'd probably make the listener happy if the wife helped him out with this, and that she could ask her mom why she's doing that, then both of them could figure it out with the mom. RINA says that if he tells her that he's hurt by it, she might realize it and go, "I see!", which RINA considers to be a magic word; it signifies that the speaker was understood and the listener accepted it. The band wishes the listener luck, and that he's doing an admirable thing and that they respect him.

•The band then closes out the episode. They ask each other if they want to give out a pouch. They say they do, and they decide to give it to the last listener, who they jokingly call Masuo. TOMO goes, "We don't give these out that easily, though." They laugh and say how they're already giving the pouches away starting from the first episode they're offering it.

Back to top Go down
Don Dio

Don Dio

International Performer
International Performer
The story about the guy living with his in-laws reminded me of an editor I worked with for many years.  He was Japanese/Hawaiian, and had both his parents, his wife's parents, all their kids and all the grandchildren living with him  Four generations under one roof.  I have no idea how he did it and kept sane, but when he retired a couple years ago at 67, I have to say he still looked fantastic like he was in his 40s.

Back to top Go down
kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
http://stomachofchaos.com
You thanked this post! -

Just listened to #38 today after @wildthing gave me the heads up that TOMOMI read my email before they got quizzed on a Malaysian subject.

Now, my nihon-go is rudimentary at best (along the lines of toire wa doko desu ka) but somehow I was cringing a bit when TOMOMI was reading it as it sounded weird (like, I wouldn't use anata but use SCANDAL in a sentence that is about them, and moshiwake arimasen?!! wow lol)... as well as the rubbish I wrote - the radio station's website actually gives a list of questions so I just answered them accordingly. Wasn't expected to get my entry selected.

So, my disclaimer is that I wrote the email in English and a member of staff (of the radio? the band?) did the translation. And they wrote my name wrong in katakana methinks as TOMOMI was struggling to read my name (if I got that first bit correct "maharaisu" lol) ...

And despite my bad nihon-go, I think I know what the quiz on Kuala Lumpur was about. Looking forward to TGE's translation.

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 SCANDALCOLLE-2020-SIG

~ CHECK OUT MY 「感謝祭」ŌSAKA 2018 VIDEO! 見てください!  ~

16-17/3/13 *SCAPE Warehouse | SIN • 29/1/15 たましんRISURUホール | 立川市、日本 • 31/1/15 ベイシア文化ホール | 前橋市、日本 • 26/4/15 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 12-13/1/16 日本武道館 | 東京、日本 • 10/9/16 Melkweg | AMS • 17/9/16 Szene | WIEN • 24/9/16 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 10/6/18 MacPherson Stadium | HK • 10-11/11/18 ZEPP Ōsaka Bayside | 大阪、日本
Back to top Go down
Meph1766

Meph1766

International Performer
International Performer
https://www.setlist.fm/user/Meph1766
Well done, maharaisu!  Happy

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 VOFnWIx
Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)

The third "I see - The Catch up"! What's the truth behind unusual medicine found in Estonia?

Episode #38 blog

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 ZDhmDed

HARUNA: This week we're doing the third "I see - The Catch up."

All: (*excited*)

RINA: That's crazy it's the third one.

HARUNA: For this to be the third one on Catch up...

TOMOMI: But I like doing this.

MAMI: Yeah, it's interesting.

"Catch up" receives many messages from people overseas.
...This is actually quite an unusual thing as it rarely happens with other radio programs.
It's unique to SCANDAL who have actively continued to do activities overseas!
Therefore, even unusual messages from overseas is a very common thing for the girls...
(All staff members think it's great)

HARUNA: Let's start by reading a messages from overseas...

(*This is a direct machine translation from French... [Note: I then used Google Translate to translate it to English])

JMarlock (a French person living in Estonia)

Hello, girls!
I am a Frenchman living in this small Eastern European country called Estonia.
Since I discovered your music, I've frequently been sending links to listen to your songs, which has been a bit annoying to my family and friends. I'm the kind of person who really wants to understand music and artists, so I've been looking for translations of the lyrics and loved the songs even more (as a book lover, I must mention it as a literary song, a special place in my heart).
It is not possible to make a list of all the emotions your songs gave me inspiration. However, I wrote a series of short stories in my free time, and one of the stories included a character inspired by HARUNA (more precisely, her looks and facial expressions in the AMDKJ music video inspired me). I would appreciate it if I could send it to you four (especially HARUNA) so that you can convey your thoughts about it. Anyway, thank you

MAMI: He loves HARU-chan...

HARUNA: Thank you very much. So, here's a quiz about Estonia.

Tallinn, the capital of Estonia, is home to "Raeapteek" (Town Hall Pharmacy), Europe's oldest pharmacy founded in 1422. For centuries, it has been known for its secret medicine that heals a certain affliction. What affliction is it?

All: What??

MAMI: Does that mean that there are still are people who can cure that affliction with medicine?

TOMOMI: I know; cold medicine! (*Bzzt)

(Staff: We won't be giving any hints...)

RINA: Medicine for blind people? (*Bzzt)

HARUNA: Headaches (*Bzzt)

MAMI: Stomachaches (*Bzzt)

RINA: Dizziness (*Bzzt)

TOMOMI: Eczema (*Bzzt)

HARUNA: Sensitivity to cold (*Bzzt)

All: What is it...

RINA: Ah, I know! Love!

(*Ding dong!)

All: Ehー!

MAMI: An affliction of love...

TOMOMI: But isn't it wrong to cure lovesickness?

HARUNA: It must mean it cures broken hearts, right?

RINA: I see...

MAMI: What kind of medicine is it??

*This medicine has been prescribed for centuries as a medicine to heal heartbreak.
The manufacturing method is confidential. 72% of the ingredients are almonds and the remaining 28% are secret...

Those of you who are lovesick, feel free to head over to Estonia...

After I do a summary of this episode, I'll be doing a summary of their recent live broadcast of "Catch up" that was aired on Tokyo FM the other day.

Back to top Go down
Don Dio

Don Dio

International Performer
International Performer
You thanked this post! -

Well, the medicine to cure heartache in the USA is whiskey.  Listen to any country song for proof (at least 80%, that is).

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

【Translated Summary】
『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Episode 38

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 POfcwMA
Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 FFST2fW

•The episode starts out with this. The band then wonders what this medicine is exactly and their staff explains it to them (here's more on it). HARU says it sounds very Harry Potter-esque.

•TOMO reads the next message from a Malaysian listener who lives in the UK (AKA SH member kudo_maharizu). Also, for future reference, the program confirmed that all messages sent in in another language will be run through a translation site like Google Translate to be translated into Japanese, which can make your message sound clunky/a little unnatural in Japanese, but the band can still understand what you're trying to say. Getting back to the message, the listener mentions he's seen SCANDAL live several times in different countries around the world. One of his favorite moments was when he and his friend bumped into TOMO, their former photographer Shin Nakajima, and the director of the HELLO WORLD documentary. He also mentions that he collects the band's signature instruments and apologizes to RINA for only having her drumsticks. TOMO says thanks, and although the listener lives in the UK, the quiz question will be about Malaysia.

Kuala Lumpur is the capital city of Malaysia. In the Malay language, it refers to a place where *this* converges. What is it?

TOMO reads the hint: "The Gombak River and Klang River converge." MAMI guesses "life" (*Bzzt), and then "water" (*Bzzt). TOMO guesses "fish" (*Bzzt). HARU asks if it's not related to animals, which the staff says yes to. MAMI guesses "miracle" (*Bzzt). TOMO guesses "light" (*Bzzt). The staff tells them it's related to rivers. TOMO guesses "sea" (*Bzzt), and then "river god" (*Bzzt). The band laughs and RINA goes, "Spirited Away" [referring to one of the main characters who's a river spirit]. HARU asks their staff if the thing is something they've seen before, which they say they have, and have quite a bit. TOMO guesses "rainbow" (*Bzzt). MAMI guesses "horizon" (*Bzzt). HARU guesses "tree" (*Bzzt). TOMO guesses "mud," which is the correct answer [Kuala Lumpur means "muddy confluence" in Malay; kuala is the point where two rivers join together or an estuary, and lumpur means "mud"]. The band is surprised, and TOMO says that she didn't think that would be the right answer. MAMI says that she was thinking it meant "hell." The band laughs and says that's scary (HARU: "Hells converging together!").

•TOMO then goes back to the listener's message and says that it's crazy that they knew who Nakajima is as well as the director. HARU thinks that perhaps they bumped into each other by the venue's entrance. MAMI mentions how they've seen them in a lot of different places, including several times in Japan. HARU says that they've certainly traveled a lot. A staff member in the background says something inaudible, which HARU says that she thinks there are a lot of people--most likely the staff member mentioned that there are several people that they know of that travel to many places to see SCANDAL live. RINA says that there are about 10-20 people who travel together to see SCANDAL [I think my friend group and I are included in this lol]. TOMO mentions there's someone from the US who always sees them in Japan, and MAMI adds that they don't just attend their tours but also their one-off shows [and I'm pretty sure they're talking about one specific person who's a friend of mine who goes to basically every show of theirs he can in Japan, thanks to the perks of living in Hawaii and working for an airline lol]. TOMO says that they're thankful.

•MAMI reads the next message from a listener in Seattle (AKA SH member hogradish) who says there are many spices that are said to warm blood in the cold winter months such as ginger, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, black pepper; and tells MAMI that black pepper can be found in Indian cooking. She then pauses for a few seconds, laughs, and goes, "Hold on a second." The band laughs and asks what's up. TOMO goes, "Read it! Hurry up and read it!" She rereads the last thing she said, and then reads the next sentence that is addressed to TOMO, which says that if she eats too many spice cookies, she might need to buy new clothes (TOMO: "Because I'll get fat"). There's also something mentioned about cooked things like apples and kabocha being fitting for this season as well. After she finishes reading it, she says that there's no quiz question involved. The band is confused and laughs. HARU goes, "There's no question for this? There aren't three quiz questions in total?! What's with that?! You should have made one for it!" [since the previous two "I see - The Catch up" had three questions each]. The staff says something in the background that's inaudible, but it makes the band laugh and go, "So that's why." TOMO comments on how the listener's concerned with her getting fat, which the band laughs at (HARU: "They think you like cookies"). RINA mentions how there was nothing written about her and HARU, which they also laugh at (HARU: "They have no impressions of us"). HARU mentions that the listener had sent a message for MAMI and TOMO's birthdays, probably because they're their favorite members. They thank the listener for always sending in messages. They then discuss what a potential quiz question could have been, and they think that it could have been something related to spices.

•The band then closes out the episode. RINA wonders what their listeners in Japan think when listening to these quiz episodes. The band laughs and TOMO thinks that they're learning alongside them. HARU mentions again that this is the third "I see - The Catch up" quiz, and that it's a segment that they can do because of the many messages they receive from overseas fans.

Back to top Go down
hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I don't think my messages would be read if they had more to choose from. I'd like to suggest that people here consider sending in more messages.
(The staff comment probably was "Because we don't want to encourage him.")
I'd also like to mention the cookie part. It was just a joke, and I don't remember pointing to one member only. I just wanted to point out that while some winter foods that contain warming spices can be heavy on the calories, there are healthy alternatives, like the apples and squash.

Last edited by hogradish on Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added joke, added disclaimer)

Back to top Go down
Steadystate

Steadystate

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
MAMI: He loves HARU-chan...

HARUNA: Thank you very much. So, here's a quiz about Estonia.

^ Don't know why, this cracked me up a little. Like Haru was quickly trying to change the subject lol.  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 1f602 

Wow Estonia... Scandal fans really do come from so many countries. After the KFTD livestream, they disclosed in one interview that fans from more than 50 countries tuned in for it, amazing much! Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 10 1f603

Back to top Go down
apfelkasten4

apfelkasten4

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Is there a way to look up which segments they are currently accepting?

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

apfelkasten4 wrote:Is there a way to look up which segments they are currently accepting?

Your message doesn't need to be for any specific segments (you can send them a message about anything), but these are the ones they list on the program's site:

-Your Spice in Life
-Industry Terms
-Life Before SCANDAL
-Love Advice
-"I see - The Catch up"
-Fine Line Association
-Hey! Teacher

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 26]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18 ... 26  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2024 SCANDAL HEAVEN.