Go down

Re: 26th Single - 「Ivory」
Posted Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:03 pm

hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
@etwee,
I totally agree about the "moments in the past". The Al Kooper keyboard for sure, coming in on three instead of one, because he didn't know the chords, lol. Also, the strings swooping down sorta like "Strawberry Fields" or something. And the chugging, which is very Beatle-esque, like in "Eleanore Rigby". There are hints of "Let it Be" sounds as well. I'm not deducting points for the chorus sounding a bit like "The Load-out", since lots of songs sound like that, I might as well say it sounds like "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".
If I'm honest, I could live without the drum and sliding bass intro to the intro, however. It's like adding chrome bits to a well styled car. I understand the reasoning though. If it wasn't going to be released as a single, they might have just left it off. I edited the intro out in Audacity, and added Rina going "seino" ahead of it, and it sounds pretty neat, more handmade. I also noticed it doesn't appear to be as compressed as other songs. Yay!
And like I said before, I really like the popping at the end, like a vinyl record in the run-out. Really nice touch.
One more thing, does anyone else get the urge to sing "Uber Eats, Uber Eats" at the chorus? Happy

Last edited by hogradish on Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)

Friendship. Effort. Victory.
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:00 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator

scandal_ivory - 26th Single - 「Ivory」 - Page 2 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:49 am

Andy666

Andy666

International Performer
International Performer
I see CD Japan has started to shipped singles already HARU cool

Back to top Go down

"Ivory" Music Video
Posted Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:02 am

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

The music video for "Ivory" will premiere on SCANDAL's official YouTube channel at 12 am JST tonight.

#front-page #scandal_ivory

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:08 pm

victor_survive

victor_survive

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
The video is very warming.. Tomomi looks gorgeous 
Can't believe we waited 15 years to see Mami doing skateboarding  MAMI omg

Edit: I think that's not MAMI Sad

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:23 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
An Instagram post by skateboarder Rinka Kanamori, MAMI's skating double in the video:

scandal_ivory - 26th Single - 「Ivory」 - Page 2 XHgvTAUm scandal_ivory - 26th Single - 「Ivory」 - Page 2 MweXfXSm scandal_ivory - 26th Single - 「Ivory」 - Page 2 Zn9jeDqm scandal_ivory - 26th Single - 「Ivory」 - Page 2 3MPIu5V

I participated in SCANDAL's music video shooting.
It was a very valuable experience. It was a lot of fun.
Thank you to everyone involved.

Here are comments from the band that were posted in the video's chat:

This is a song where the four of us can be who we naturally are^^ Hope you like the music video, too! (RINA)

We asked skateboarder Rinka Kanamori-chan to skate in this video! I admired Rinka-chan's skating so much that I bought a skateboard〜😇🛹 (MAMI)

The music was sped up 2x in order to slow down the performance scene of the four of us. It was so fast that we couldn't keep up at first and were laughing while filming it🤣 (HARUNA)

During the rooftop scene, the black kite bird that was flying right above us was cute yet scary🦅 (TOMOMI)

victor_survive wrote:I think that's not MAMI Sad

Yeah, it's not lol

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:40 pm

Tuba

Tuba

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Nice song, very different from anything they ever did I think.
That's also the first time a song with Mami on the main vocals is getting a single and MV isn't it?

Back to top Go down

【English Subs】Ivory MV
Posted Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:23 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

【English Subs】Ivory MV

#front-page #scandal_ivory

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:36 pm

Meph1766

Meph1766

International Performer
International Performer
https://www.setlist.fm/user/Meph1766
thoseguiltyeyes wrote:
During the rooftop scene, the black kite bird that was flying right above us was cute yet scary🦅 (TOMOMI)
I thought it was an eagle at first RINA omg .

Video is really cool, better than I expected RINA heart .

UP
Eh sorry, these are translation difficulties. Was it a real big bird ?? Or a kite?

scandal_ivory - 26th Single - 「Ivory」 - Page 2 VOFnWIx
Back to top Go down

New Single - 「Ivory」
Posted Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:53 pm

meikam81

meikam81

Caless Student
Caless Student
thoseguiltyeyes wrote:This is a song where the four of us can be who we naturally are^^ Hope you like the music video, too! (RINA)

You do get that sense in this MV. Thought it was cool near the end with the shot of Rina and the bird flying in the background. It was really fitting of the song. I don't think they would have been able to release a single and MV like this if they hadn't started their own label. Can really feel both Eternal and Ivory were inspired by the current period. Wonder if their next few songs will have that same feeling.

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:10 pm

GT

GT

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Meph1766 wrote:
thoseguiltyeyes wrote:
I thought it was an eagle at first RINA omg .

Video is really cool, better than I expected RINA heart .

UP
Eh sorry, these are translation difficulties. Was it a real big bird ?? Or a kite?

It was a real bird, Kites are part of the same family as Eagles. We have Red kites in the UK, beautiful birds.

Back on topic. I really like the song and thought the video was great, from the moment that sneak peak of Mami in the bath tub was shown you knew her fingerprints were all over it.

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:10 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
Meph1766 wrote:Eh sorry, these are translation difficulties. Was it a real big bird ?? Or a kite?

haha "black kite" is a type of bird:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_kite

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:02 pm

eddypleite

eddypleite

Caless Student
Caless Student
Listening to the song again and again...  
I swear I love this band.  scandal_ivory - 26th Single - 「Ivory」 - Page 2 1f497 

I'm trying to buy the mp3, but Amazon (ES) doesn't have it for sale yet.   TOMO wtf

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:09 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
eddypleite wrote:I'm trying to buy the mp3, but Amazon (ES) doesn't have it for sale yet.   TOMO wtf

Everyone has to wait until midnight their own time zone to get it--and I think it's currently 1 am in Spain = it should be available for you now MAMI young corn

Also, since HARU mentioned how the performances scenes were slowed down in the MV, I sped them back up to see what they look like in real time lol

One more thing: MAMI talks about why the song's called "Ivory" in this interview (full translation coming soon):

―By the way, what does the title "Ivory" mean?

MAMI: Since the song was made while I was in the bath, it's a word that was chosen from that atmosphere. The slightly dark lighting and high humidity blur your field of vision, and cloudy mirrors make it feel like you can't see everything. The overall color and scene are "ivory." Also, the reason why I'm singing while in a bathtub the music video is because this song was made in the bath. The other band members suggested to me, "Why don't you sing while in a bathtub?"

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:21 am

eddypleite

eddypleite

Caless Student
Caless Student
thoseguiltyeyes wrote:
eddypleite wrote:I'm trying to buy the mp3, but Amazon (ES) doesn't have it for sale yet.   TOMO wtf

Everyone has to wait until midnight their own time zone to get it--and I think it's currently 1 am in Spain = it should be available for you now MAMI young corn

You are right! I already have it.  TOMO plz

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:05 pm

hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I think we all can agree the lighting and cinematography are outstanding. The director really captured a natural look for each member, especially Mami. I wonder if there is some symbolism in Mami stuck in a tub, and the skater stuck in a giant tub. I know she came up with the song in her bathtub, but beyond that. Like trying to break out of confinement, that sort of thing.

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:25 pm

etwee

etwee

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
hogradish wrote:I wonder if there is some symbolism in Mami stuck in a tub
I wonder too but...
“There is nothing That is meaningless
But giving meaning to everything Won't help you out, either”
(!!)

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:56 pm

hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
@etwee LOL

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:49 pm

victor_survive

victor_survive

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I'm listening the single on Apple Music and it doesn't seem to have the losseless nor the Apple digital master feature. I know this is a new feature, but I hope SCANDAL adds this to their future releases.
scandal_ivory - 26th Single - 「Ivory」 - Page 2 Screen10

I can see that some of their old releases have the "lossless" feature like Temptation Box, Kiss from the darkness.
scandal_ivory - 26th Single - 「Ivory」 - Page 2 Screen11

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:50 am

hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
@victor_survive
https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/ivory-scandal/xxs35oeqttcnb
This site has lossless versions available, like wma and flac.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:58 am

Andy666

Andy666

International Performer
International Performer
I also really enjoy the Acoustic version of song, Mami voice is quite soft in it.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:14 am

Tuba

Tuba

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
etwee wrote:
hogradish wrote:I wonder if there is some symbolism in Mami stuck in a tub
I wonder too but...
“There is nothing That is meaningless
But giving meaning to everything Won't help you out, either”
(!!)
There's an irony in how meaningful that line is.
Love it.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:44 pm

BMC

BMC

Caless Student
Caless Student
You thanked this post! -

This song is so lush and full. Rina's snare tone seems to caress the song as it progresses, Tomo's bass adds a supple feel to the melody like your favorite blanket wrapped around you. Haru's guitar and vocals provide a sense of lightness to song... almost like that warm reading lamp you have next to your favorite chair.

Mami's acoustic guitar.. I can almost taste the sound, like a really good cup of tea on a brisk morning. Ever since I really started listening to Scandal last year I was immediately in love with Mami's voice. It is so unique and distinctive. Reminds of 90s-era female alt-rock bands.. which, IMO, is a good thing. So having her sing the lead on this song was only appropriate in my mind... especially given the story of the song's creation. Her vocals are so soothing on this song especially when harmonizing with Haru in chorus and then the whole band singing at the end really gives the song a full, rich sound.

This song really, really resonates with me.. if you can't tell already. Happy

Edit: forgot to talk about the MV. Really interesting choice of format for this in 4:3 rather than 16:9. I think it really fits the song well and of course they HAD to include Mami singing in the bathtub. I would have been disappointed if they did not have that in the video, lol.

Went back and rewatched the [Her] diary after listening and watching the video. The thoughts and comments expressed in that vlog really changed, in my mind, after hearing the song in total, watching the MV, and reading the lyrics.

Incredibly beautiful and emotional song.

Brian from Atlanta. Band-Maid: MISA/Akane Scandal: Rina/Mami
Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:41 am

TOMOmeow

TOMOmeow

International Performer
International Performer
https://instagram.com/thedapperrunner
The arrangement reminds me of the UK bands Coldplay and Snow Patrol.

I also like how Mami sings using head tones and some throat singing techniques. It matches well with her dark yet hopeful lyrics. Haruna did an awesome job in her rhythm chords with thick chorus effect and well-blended backing vocals.

We also have to give credit to professional skateboarder Rinka Kanamori for her great participation in this music video.

So far, "Ivory" is their best single only behind "Spice" for the last couple of years.

scandal_ivory - 26th Single - 「Ivory」 - Page 2 Tumblr_pe1dui3Jru1qdewlro1_400

Sing it Back, Bring it Back, Sing it Back to Me... Wait, WRONG SONG!

Do you believe in life after love? (after love, after love)... STILL WRONG, D****T!!

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:25 pm

HajimemashiteBINOdesu

HajimemashiteBINOdesu

Caless Student
Caless Student
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

i have been trying real hard not to systematically pick this song and video apart since it came out. mostly because of how much it just generally captivated me from the very first listen. there was no need for it to "grow on me". even my favorite song Koe took me a few listens for it to really hit me. so i keep listening to it and watching the MV here and there to organically find new things that make me love the song even more. as a musician, its hard for me not to rush through an intriguing piece, dissecting it,  trying to figure out why i like it so much so that i can gain inspiration to add to my own music. all i can say is this is an absolutely fantastic piece of art, both the song and MV. 

so after reading through all of your analyses of the song, i would like to bring up some things that i dont think were mentioned yet. please forgive me if i am mistaken...

1. the opening guitar riff played by Haruna. first, applause for her taking up the lead guitar role in this song. im sure after 15yrs of playing she is more than capable of playing her fair share of guitar licks but its appreciated in a recording when members of a band get a little out of their lane. on top of that, the lick itself. very simple. yet, the way the music was composed around it made it seem more intricate. the bass going back and forth between the B and E over the chorus effect on the guitar lick gave a sort of "drift" in the repeating melody of the lick. not sure how to explain it better, but when i was figuring out the lick i was telling myself "no way is this just repeating. there has to be another note in there somewhere!"

2. the mention earlier of how this recording has the essence of "the first take" was spot on. Haruna's harmonies made that very evident. and opened up my ears more to the overall mix. there was also a comment on less compression in the recording. yes! and i love it. even though the song was recorded on tracks, the production gave it a more organic feel overall. not the typical over produced final products that runs rampant in today's music. its refreshing. @hogradish, i would love to listen to what you did on audacity, editing Rina saying "seino" into the intro. it reminded me of the "turn in up" in Sweet Home Alabama. 

3. was that a phone ringtone i hear in the mix??? who does that!!!??? and why is it so fitting?!?!?!?!?! i love it!

4. in the second chorus. going back to the G#m instead of the Bsus2 created a sort of dissonance that just screams "keep listening!!!" absolute masterful music writing. i would have never thought of that. 

5. gear head time. ok so Haruna is playing a Telecaster type guitar. its got 2 humbuckers, cabronita style pickguard, roasted maple neck, large 70s strat style headstock, les paul switching. anybody got any information on that guitar? never seen it before. 

6. the slomo nod to their roots as a punk band. the skater girl stuck in the bowl but ripping anyway. great artistic visuals. reminds me of Tom Petty's Free Fallin'.

7. im sorry, Koe, but because of these points... Ivory is now my favorite Scandal song. it is everything that Koe is but more. 

extra credit: you know how they slowed down Koe and made it acoustic? how cool would it be to do the opposite with ivory and punk it out??? they mentioned in the interview that while they were playing along with the track at 2x speed to do the slomo shots, they were wondering if this is how the song should actually be done. kamisamaonegaishimasu!!!!

edit: RE: #5 on this list. i was wrong. the neck is mahogany, not roasted maple. and i have seen this before. its the fender parallel universe troublemaker telecaster. in case any of you are as interested in gear as i am. and they cost about as much as the Haruna signature tele. tbh, i dont know which i prefer. Haru has some excellent taste in telecasters.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2024 SCANDAL HEAVEN.