thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (7 votes)

MAMI's "Ivory" Lyrics Essay
scandal_ivory - UtaNet - MAMI's "Ivory" Lyrics Essay Mamieternal

One Wednesday night I wrote my soliloquy while taking a bath.

On June 16, SCANDAL will be releasing their new single Ivory. These ladies are currently in the middle of their 15th anniversary year, with this work serving as their second release of 2021. The lyrics and music were written by their guitarist MAMI and co-arranged and produced with musician Koihei Munemoto. The B-side track will be an acoustic version of the same song.

Today's song column is a lyrics essay by MAMI where she talks about the new song "Ivory"! How was this song born as the world changed drastically, as well as the direction of their motivation for making songs changed? May this song and its essay reach you, living every day while being swayed by all kinds of emotions!

~Lyrics Essay: "Ivory"~

From the day when the world had to switch in an instant to staying at home, my way of living that had been going on since the band was formed became different, and I honestly didn't know how to live.

After we'd go on tour overseas and around Japan, we'd start recording after getting back. We'd focused on making songs to perform live. It was also important how we could make everyone get moving and vocalizing. That's why the direction of our motivation for making songs changed rapidly, and there were many days when I couldn't keep up with the changes.

The first state of emergency ended, and on top of following the rules, the number of people you can have in attendance at audience-free livestreams or at live venues is quite small compared to before. Thankfully, though, we were allowed to hold a concert with an audience, and we felt that we were gradually regaining our sense of songs and concerts.

However, as expected, my songwriting did not progress as I wanted it to. I wonder if the music gods had something to do with it (I'm sure that's not the case).

Every Wednesday is our meeting day. Every week I'd be asked, "How's the songwriting going?" I'd want to say, "I give up!", but because I also wanted to write songs, I couldn't give a clear answer and I'm sure I inconvenienced our staff.

One Wednesday night when our meeting was over, I was taking a bath and coming to terms with my unfocused frustration. With my forehead sweaty and my head about to boil over, I wondered if a song would come down upon me somehow. That's when it made me realize how many times I've been worried about this very thing, and that I'm worried about the same thing yet again (finally). I had no choice but to take a jab at myself and be like, "No, enough with that worry!"

When you have that kind of exchange in your head, you're amazed at yourself and end up laughing. I was like, "Well, that's just who I am," and felt like I was able to affirm myself a little, and thought that that's what makes me human.

I have lived my life while being impatient and being in such anguish and frustration, and I'm sure that I'll continue to live that way. That's what I think. And that's okay. And you just have to laugh at yourself once in a while. No matter what direction I go in, or if I'm swayed by all kinds of emotions, I'll just live as humanly as possible.

One Wednesday night I wrote my soliloquy while taking a bath—that's what "Ivory" is. It's not so bad to live frustratingly and happily.

*The lyrics to "Ivory" can be found here:
https://www.scandal-heaven.com/t15518-ivory-lyrics#775465

scandal_ivory - UtaNet - MAMI's "Ivory" Lyrics Essay 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Re: UtaNet - MAMI's "Ivory" Lyrics Essay
Posted Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:02 am

etwee

etwee

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Cool, but I'm left wondering why the song title is ivory. Because she was using "Ivory" brand soap?

Last edited by etwee on Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add phrase)

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:35 pm

SCANlover

SCANlover

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://lunamikk69.tumblr.com/
This is very good to me, there are many songs that they have since the formation of SCANDAL that are about love, about overcoming, about moving forward... TOMO hmm

But there are few songs that really have a personal depth to them. Besides that says that it's a soliloquy of her... Oh, Mami, you don't know how many people can still feel identified  TOMO sad Human emotions are something that we humans share.

-10/01/2010- (avatar&banner by me) -HARUTOMO-
scandal_ivory - UtaNet - MAMI's "Ivory" Lyrics Essay 1HIBZjB
Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:07 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

etwee wrote:Cool, but I'm left wondering why the song title is ivory.

AFAIK they haven't (yet?) specifically mentioned why it's called "Ivory," though if I had to guess, it might be because of the whole bathtub thing and how bathtubs are ivory/white-colored.

IMO some of the titles of the songs MAMI writes and names in English can be a little weird and hard to understand why they're named the way they are lol

Examples:

Spoiler:

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:50 am

HajimemashiteBINOdesu

HajimemashiteBINOdesu

Caless Student
Caless Student
"IVORY" and its connection to the song... i have a couple theories. but im pretty sure im dead wrong lol.
1. maybe MAMI uses Ivory bath products - body wash, shampoo, etc. and after pouring her heart out with the lyrics while taking a bath, she looked up and the first thing she saw was the word "IVORY"?
2. the significance of the bath tub being where she was when this song came to be, its the color of the tub?
3. some of the lyrics sounded like she said "ivory" when i first heard the song. and i thought thats where it was. i think its the part that goes "sarari sarari". maybe she though it sounded kinda like "ivory" too and decided to call it that after the song was recorded?
4. i have noticed that sometimes when MAMI sings, she pronounces her W as a V. so "watashi wa..." sometimes comes out as "watashi va..." i think it might have something to do with her accent, but im not familiar enough with japanese dialects and accents enough to know anything about that. but i have noticed this pronunciation in several recordings. therefore, i think this is my furthest reach, but the most creative explanation of the significance of "IVORY" as the title... its what she sounds like when she says "I WORRY"... ??????

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:54 am

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
MAMI talks about why the song's called "Ivory" in this interview (full translation coming soon):

―By the way, what does the title "Ivory" mean?

MAMI: Since the song was made while I was in the bath, it's a word that was chosen from that atmosphere. The slightly dark lighting and high humidity blur your field of vision, and cloudy mirrors make it feel like you can't see everything. The overall color and scene are "ivory." Also, the reason why I'm singing while in a bathtub the music video is because this song was made in the bath. The other band members suggested to me, "Why don't you sing while in a bathtub?"

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:21 am

tonymiller

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
Well I always sing in the bath, a bathroom always makes your voice sound better Happy

scandal_ivory - UtaNet - MAMI's "Ivory" Lyrics Essay Sig_sc10
Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:53 pm

HajimemashiteBINOdesu

HajimemashiteBINOdesu

Caless Student
Caless Student
Lol I wasn't even close. But I like her explanation more than anything I came up with. Thanks for the clarification TGE.
I'm really liking this new ability to take their artistry in any direction they want since starting their own label. Their experience and maturity is really showing.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum