thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (5 votes)

Yomiuri Shimbun's "MAKE A WISH DAISY PROJECT" interview with RINA

Staying at home, but what if being at home isn't safe for everyone? Support for women survivors of domestic violence

front-page - Yomiuri Shimbun - "MAKE A WISH DAISY PROJECT" interview with RINA 20211021-OYT8-I50019-1

Simple pajamas with white piping accents on chocolate-colored satin. There is a modest message on the back of the neck: "Proceeds will be donated to organizations that support women in need and people living as a family."

Requesting assistance via crowdfunding in return for pajamas

front-page - Yomiuri Shimbun - "MAKE A WISH DAISY PROJECT" interview with RINA 20211021-OYT8-I50017-1

Last year, RINA and her friend+model Seina started "MAKE A WISH DAISY PROJECT." The first thing they worked on was the production of these pajamas. "There are of course cases when you need to communicate this subject in a serious manner. But for us, we wanted this to be a non-serious entryway into it, to incorporate it into your daily life and be fashionable. Also, to make it something that reminds you of the support you're giving."

In return for pajamas and requesting support via crowdfunding, over 7 million yen (~$62,000 USD) was collected in a month and a half starting from last December. After deducting the cost of materials, they donated about 1.29 million yen (~$11,300 USD) in August of this year to two organizations that support women survivors of domestic violence, single mothers, fathers, etc. Since then, they have been selling original T-shirts and other items on their online store.

RINA met Seina via a vintage fashion store she used to frequent. They hit it off, sharing an interest in clothing as well as many other similarities. They met up once a week, chatting at cafes and going shopping, and learned that they were both troubled by their family situation. "I wish I could do something for those who are in the same situation as me." During the time they were frequently discussing those thoughts, the pandemic hit.

"We were ordered to stay home, but I thought of how being at home wasn't safe for everyone. There's a different danger aside from the virus. This made me realize that if we continued to live our lives normally, I would have never thought of that," said RINA, looking back on last spring. Seina also thought the same. The two of them agreed that if they were to do something, now would be the time.

Struggling alone as a child, thinking, "Why is my family the only one all jumbled up?"

front-page - Yomiuri Shimbun - "MAKE A WISH DAISY PROJECT" interview with RINA 20211021-OYT8-I50018-1

RINA was raised as the eldest daughter of five siblings in a single-mother family. Her mother remarried, but her relationship with the other man hurt her mentally. It was tough seeing her mother like that. "How can I protect her? I want to make my mother happy," is what she always thought. At the age of 15 she started her dream of working in music. However, when she was working, phone calls from her mother would shake her up—it was all she could do to keep her composure. Naturally, her mother was unable to attend live performances.

In her second year of high school, her dream of making a major debut came true and she moved to Tokyo. As her siblings bawled, she felt guilty that "I was the only one who got away." Strengthening her resolve, she told herself, "I'll make sure to succeed and give back to my family," and has continued to support her family financially. Smiling gently, she said, "Of course this is a job that I want, and I like being in a band—it's so much fun. But I think I've been able to make it this far without stopping because I had my family [to worry about]."

"I kept wondering why my family was the only one that's all jumbled up." - She recalled her childhood as she struggled alone without being able to talk to anyone about it. "I wonder how much it could have helped me if back then my favorite musician told me that there are families like mine."

She was also conflicted to share things that weren't related to music. However, now that fans can feel closer to artists via social media, she felt that she might be able to get closer to the fans. Additionally, another reason was that her relationship with the band's fans changed close to her late 20s.

SCANDAL launched its own imprint label within its record company [Victor Entertainment] three years ago. They began promoting more independent activities. "We can now tell our fans what we're worried about. We're able to make music as human beings, while also showing negative aspects. I feel that our fans are also speaking to us as fellow human beings." Feeling this warm support, she thought she'd be able to launch this project now. She puts all of her strength into it: "I've received fan letters that say things like, 'I'm actually in the same boat.' I've also come into contact with people who are learning about this kind of topic for the first time. It really feels like things are being conveyed."

"Because I have my three other band members...being a solo act would have been absolutely impossible for me"

front-page - Yomiuri Shimbun - "MAKE A WISH DAISY PROJECT" interview with RINA 20211021-OYT8-I50020-1

SCANDAL played at a live music club in Odaiba, Tokyo on the third of this month. They performed cool and cute songs one after another, such as danceable songs and songs with strong rock themes to them. RINA could be seen surrounded by the members, hitting the drums powerfully. It's been 15 years since the band formed. Her three bandmates understood her situation and gently supported her. They also support this current project from the bottom of their hearts. A cozy place can be found right here. "Being with these three always makes me excited and happy. We're good matches for each other as human beings. I've made it these past 15 years because I've got these three. Being a solo act would have been absolutely impossible for me."

Her family situation had always been a complex for her, but recently she's been able to gradually start accepting it. There are thoughts and problems she is able to notice due to having experience in that area. The amount of support still isn't that big yet, but she feels that the responses are moving forward. "I'm sure there are people who are suffering and wondering if their current situation will keep continuing. I want to continue doing this for a long time so that these people know they're not alone."

"Live the way you want to, without denying anyone"

front-page - Yomiuri Shimbun - "MAKE A WISH DAISY PROJECT" interview with RINA 20211021-OYT8-I50016-1

We asked RINA about her personal tastes.

――The appeal of drums

The way your feelings will come out in the sound. If you're in a bad mood, you won't be producing any fun sounds. I started doing it and found out that it suits me.

――Words she cherishes

"Live the way you want to, without denying anyone." I've always cherished this in my musical activities. It's the feeling that the four of us feel comfortable doing what we like.

――How she refreshes herself

Watching thrilling, slightly scary movies or anime. I like the fear of something feeling bizarre and mysterious.

――Favorite fashion items

Incorporating vintage items. Most of them are from Europe. A lot of my interior items are antiques purchased at flea markets.

front-page - Yomiuri Shimbun - "MAKE A WISH DAISY PROJECT" interview with RINA 20211025-gscvf-J

front-page - Yomiuri Shimbun - "MAKE A WISH DAISY PROJECT" interview with RINA 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down
Andy666

Andy666

International Performer
International Performer
I know they say "every penny help" but to go from 7 million yens to 1.29, feel a bit of let down just for cost of materials. Even in UK we hear stories how the lockdown made it worse for many families. 

On their radio show when Rina say she hate her second name, I wonder if that was the reason because it may be her stepfather name.

Back to top Go down
Meph1766

Meph1766

International Performer
International Performer
https://www.setlist.fm/user/Meph1766
Thank you very much!  RINA heart

front-page - Yomiuri Shimbun - "MAKE A WISH DAISY PROJECT" interview with RINA VOFnWIx
Back to top Go down
bleachnlife

bleachnlife

International Performer
International Performer
Massive respect to Rina. I always wondered what her drive to fundraise for domestic and family violence support was which is such a alienating, complex and socially taboo phenomenon.

SCANDAL Haruna .happy. SCANDAL Mami Nice one SCANDAL Tomomi  .lol.  SCANDAL Rina .uhuh. SCANDAL
SCANDAL brightens my everyday

front-page - Yomiuri Shimbun - "MAKE A WISH DAISY PROJECT" interview with RINA Hhxqn11
Back to top Go down
tomorocks

tomorocks

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Andy666 wrote:On their radio show when Rina say she hate her second name, I wonder if that was the reason because it may be her stepfather name.

I was thinking the same thing. The article seems to imply that her stepfather mentally abused her mother. Now, it makes sense why Rina didn't want to take the last name of her stepfather (Suzuki).

Back to top Go down
Andy666

Andy666

International Performer
International Performer
I know nothing about Japanese law, could Rina no change her second name to maybe her mum maiden name.

For her to to talk about it more to the public, I hope that means Rina family is in a better place and stepfather no going to take it out on her mother.

Back to top Go down
meikam81

meikam81

Caless Student
Caless Student
It's sad that Rina felt guilty for having to leave her family in that situation in order to pursue opportunities so that she could ultimately support her family

The decision by the band to start their own label was a very important thing. It has afforded them more freedoms and not just related to music. I think it was also a good thing for the health of the band. It would have been difficult(or even not possible) for Rina to start this project with Seina if they hadn't gone independent. It's also nice the article mentioned that the other members are very supportive of Rina and this project.

Back to top Go down
ankur_chipps

ankur_chipps

Caless Student
Caless Student
Oh wow, I did not realise Rina had such a tough childhood. I hope her family is doing much better now. She's a really sweet human being. <3

Back to top Go down
tomorocks

tomorocks

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Andy666 wrote:I know nothing about Japanese law, could Rina no change her second name to maybe her mum maiden name.

For her to to talk about it more to the public, I hope that means Rina family is in a better place and stepfather no going to take it out on her mother.

I don't know about their law either. But, maybe she doesn't want to change it anymore, since she is already famous as Rina Suzuki.

But, you bring up a good point. Hopefully the stepfather is no longer acting this way.

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
tomorocks wrote:since she is already famous as Rina Suzuki

Technically, she's not--she's famous as simply "RINA" because the band only uses their first names as their stage names and never uses their last names. The only time the band publicly mentioned their last names was when they all posted their very first blogs back when the band first started in 2006. Since then, it's mainly the overseas fans who have kept using their entire names to refer to them.

As RINA said here, she dislikes her full name being used and would much rather be referred to as "SCANDAL RINA" or "Drummer RINA" instead.

And as for her stepfather, I don't really like to add to speculation but it's always possible that her mother has since divorced him, which is why RINA is talking about this subject matter now.

front-page - Yomiuri Shimbun - "MAKE A WISH DAISY PROJECT" interview with RINA 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down
tomorocks

tomorocks

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
I see. I wasn't aware that they no longer promote their last names in Japan. 

You're probably right about the divorce thing, since Rina now makes enough money to support her family.

Back to top Go down
BMC

BMC

Caless Student
Caless Student
Thank you for the translation.

Since I really started paying attention to Scandal last year I have been following all of them on social media but have taken a larger interest in RINA than any others. I am subscribed to her YT channel and I think that channel is what has drawn me to her.

For someone her age is incredibly self-aware. I've found that by listening to her and reading her stuff she's managed to have an influence on my views on some topics.

When she came out on her channel about her and Seina's backgrounds it was almost heartbreaking to hear... and at the same time inspiring to see them speaking out about their childhoods and thoughts on certain subjects, and especially true in a "conservative" culture like Japan with such a bias towards privacy and not openly talking about family circumstances and social topics. For someone in her position it is a bold and brave decision for which I have so much respect for her.

As we say here... she's an old soul. Happy

Also this explains much of her drive for perfection and success....

Brian from Atlanta. Band-Maid: MISA/Akane Scandal: Rina/Mami
Back to top Go down
etwee

etwee

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Wow, this is quite a coup for the daisy project and the band—the newspaper that did this interview has the biggest circulation in Japan. (They also publish Japan Times in English.)
From vids of their early lives, I got a strong impression of RINA as almost like the band's mother, she conveyed that kind of loving and supportive expression looking out and down at the other members (drums naturally being positioned on a raised level and at stage rear). MAMI once remarked that the other members felt that support coming from her too. I was surprised when I learned she was the youngest.
This article covers some of the issues faced by single mothers in Japan
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/09/japan-is-no-place-for-single-mothers/538743/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2024 SCANDAL HEAVEN.