Go down

Re: 10th Album - 「MIRROR」
Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:03 am

SCANlover

SCANlover

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://lunamikk69.tumblr.com/
Well, I liked it. I'm not going to talk about technical stuff.
I like what the songs transmit to me in one way or another, so the verdict is, that although there are songs that I like more than others, I like this album.  M+T cheers

-10/01/2010- (avatar&banner by me) -HARUTOMO-
10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1HIBZjB
Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

Here is a guide on how to sign up to watch the "MIRROR Studio Live" online concert that will be viewable from January 30th to February 6th!

ICYMI: Click here for more info regarding the online studio concert

10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 3SmTcJs

Your albums will have been shipped along with white, square-shaped pieces of paper. You will get one slip per album purchased, and they each contain a serial number that you will need to input into the signup site that can be accessed via the QR code printed on the paper.

You only need one code for yourself, so if you have any extras, you could possibly share them with friends or anyone that you think might need it (i.e. those whose albums will not arrive on time).

You have until Feb. 4 @ 6 pm JST to input your serial number.

Once you scan the QR code, you will be directed to the signup site. Scroll to the bottom of the page and input your serial number into the box, then click the "Login" button.
10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 6a3SRkt

You will be directed to a form where you'll need to input some information. You can enter whatever kind of name you want. For the phone number, I believe it needs to be a Japan phone number. I suggest either signing up for a Tenso forwarding address and inputting the phone number you're given, or search on Google for a random business's number in Japan (i.e. Tower Records in Shibuya). As for the optional message, you can only input Japanese characters - it will not let you advance if you use Roman characters.

After you've filled out the form, click the "Confirm info" button on the bottom.
10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 Rbgngyp

You will then be directed to a page to review the info you inputted. If there are any mistakes, you can press the "Go back" button to go back. If everything is correct, press the "Send" button.
10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 Drz6aeJ

After you submit the form, you will receive an email containing a link to watch the studio live.

The concert will be available for playback from Jan. 30 @ 7 pm JST to Feb. 6 @ 9 pm JST.

#front-page #mirror

10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:44 am

wildthing

wildthing

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
LoveSurvivor305 wrote:Whoever was in charge of the mix on the faster tunes should probably not go anywhere near our girls ever again. 10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1f604 

Since the label change to Victor, the new crew doing the mix has gone down hill for sure.
Its not worth thinking too much, I was listening with the HiRes version with monitoring Speakers and CIEM and was well not surprised  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1f602 

I'll look forward to hearing it live instead.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:05 am

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

MIRROR debuted on the Oricon Daily Album Chart at #5 on Jan. 25th. It slipped to #6 on Jan. 26th.

10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 ONxfxEg
https://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/d/2022-01-25/

10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 GO2bP3u
https://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/d/2022-01-26/

And Billboard Japan says MIRROR ranked at #5 in album sales between Jan. 24-26 with approx. 7,574 copies sold.

https://www.billboard-japan.com/d_news/detail/108193/2

Also, the "Ai ni Naranakatta no sa" MV is now available to view worldwide:

#mirror

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:48 am

izzy

izzy

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
So... what can I say about Mirror? To be honest I'm even more disappointed than I thought. To be clear I completely respect the band and their need to evolve... but I've just realised that it's the end of my "relation" with Scandal. That's a sad day but that's just the way it is.
I didn't bought the last DVD (I watched the livestream), I didn't bought "One More Time" single, and now I won't be buying the new album. As the band says, it's important to be true to yourself and I really don't like this new sound from Scandal.
They made the music they really wanted to do and I deeply respect that but I won't follow them in this direction. It's the end of the adventure for me (I don't think they will go back to their "rock" sound) and I wish them the best for the future.

(Doesn't mean I will never listen to Scandal anymore! Honey is still my favorite album!!)

RINA nope

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:38 am

Haruna's Ears

Haruna's Ears

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
izzy wrote:So... what can I say about Mirror? To be honest I'm even more disappointed than I thought. To be clear I completely respect the band and their need to evolve... but I've just realised that it's the end of my "relation" with Scandal. That's a sad day but that's just the way it is.
I didn't bought the last DVD (I watched the livestream), I didn't bought "One More Time" single, and now I won't be buying the new album. As the band says, it's important to be true to yourself and I really don't like this new sound from Scandal.
They made the music they really wanted to do and I deeply respect that but I won't follow them in this direction. It's the end of the adventure for me (I don't think they will go back to their "rock" sound) and I wish them the best for the future.

(Doesn't mean I will never listen to Scandal anymore! Honey is still my favorite album!!)

What I miss about the pre-digital distribution days of records, tapes & CDs was how buying an album was a commitment. It wasn't cheap, and you couldn't get your money back. You pretty much took a punt and lived with the consequences. I couldn't tell you how many times I was initially disappointed with an album, only for it to become my favourite after forcing myself to given it multiple listens - purely because I was stuck with the damn thing. I'd give Mirror a few more goes before "trading it with one of your mates for a pack of smokes" because you just never know...

Speaking of records, I'd sure like to take a peek at what dog-eared album covers Tomomi has strewn all over her floor after hearing Ai no Shoutai!!

10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 2foml0
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:03 pm

teamami

Caless Student
Caless Student
I like the album! Ai no Shoutai is unexpectedly good, and its (piccolo?) trumpet solo near the last chorus is very nice and Beatles-y. Yuugure, Tokeru is my favorite song here---its long, three note vocal melody over techno-ish brass synth and muddy guitars is super dreamy. The two Rina penned-song here are also stunners: Kanojo wa Wave sounds like a banger late nineties Buck-Tick ditty if they had gone to make nu-disco instead of industrial rock, and Ao no Naru Yoru no Sukima de is a beautiful pop song. Although not perfect across the board (Ai ni Naranakatta no sa and Prism are meh at best), I appreciate the economic songwriting employed in each track, how they tactfully not include endless choruses or making space for bridges that serve absolutely no purpose. A definite step up from KFTD.

A few people here seemed to express disappointment at how this record sounds. I mean, every single sensible band in the world would trigger/replace their drum sound and edit their audio tracks to perfection---from Taylor Swift to Meshuggah and Boris. And mixing-wise, I think it is adequate; it's not "tasteful" or as iconic as records produced by Steve Albini for example, but it hits (I think) all the marks for a proper modern-sounding album, and then some---One More Time sounds like the 1975 with extra 20 pounds, which is great, because not much happened musically in songs like these, so an added beefiness to the drums is a plus. May I ask why some of you consider this album to have a bad mix? As a "musician" (I barely sold records, and the only people who listened to my music are my friends and some random Twitter mutuals) who also mixes (amateurishly) their songs, I can not help to be curious. This could be a chance for me to improve my ear skills too  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1f4aa  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1f44c  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1f44d  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1f600

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:20 pm

Gaki-san2001

Gaki-san2001

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Yes, it is a good advice to listen a few times to this album before jumping to conclusions. It is not my cup of tea either but somehow I like it. It depends on the mood. So even if you don't like it, listen to it at least one more time. Happy Having said that, my favorite song would be Spice and if all the songs were like that, this would be my favorite album.

10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 Alairas3
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:39 pm

richard scranton

richard scranton

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxvg_PmErmegCY5-fgqHtaA?view_as
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

Gaki-san2001 wrote: Happy Having said that, my favorite song would be Spice and if all the songs were like that, this would be my favorite album.

If all the songs were like Spice then people would be complaining that there wasn't enough variety. TOMO um

formally known as graftenberg
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:28 pm

hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
@teamami
I think the mix is good too. In an interview Rina explained those "gadget" bits stuck onto the beginnings of songs as a way to attract people browsing songs on streaming services. I think the "wash" sound they're getting on some songs is being interpreted as accidental or carelessness. I'm definitely not a mind reader, so I don't know for sure what people are hearing. For myself I've got two sets of speakers, one bright sounding, and one flat and it's fine on both, but maybe if I turn them up to 11 I'll change my mind.
Try thinking of Ai ni Naranakatta no sa as a country song. Think Kenny Chesney or someone like that. Try to visualize the band in jeans and cowboy boots line dancing. There actually are clubs in Japan that do just that. And do a YouTube search for Bluegrass Police. It will blow your mind.
 At the start of Prism is the sound of a music box being wound up. Think of Haruna as a tiny clockwork dancer in the music box, slowly turning while light is reflected off the prism-cut glass on the edges of the box. The bells and chimes in the mix represent the sound of a music box. Does that imagery help?

Friendship. Effort. Victory.
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:55 pm

TOMOmeow

TOMOmeow

International Performer
International Performer
https://instagram.com/thedapperrunner
After listening to MIRROR, it exceeded my expectations. It stood out compared to all of their previous albums because it is simply a complete package. Although, Yellow will always remain my favorite album until such time. MIRROR is a strong contender.

As you've noticed, Mami is using less and less distortion and power chords. Instead, she's playing lush funk chords with a touch of delay and modulation effects. Rina's lower drum tuning suits the overall sound of the album as well. Tomomi's Motown-influenced bass tone is more prominent than before.

I'll consider this as a concept album because of the lyrical content and its overall sound. I also noticed that the transition from one to another is so smooth. As much as I like "Spice", I'm happy that they didn't include it on the album. Otherwise, it will appear as an oddball in the kitty litter.

10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 Tumblr_pe1dui3Jru1qdewlro1_400

Sing it Back, Bring it Back, Sing it Back to Me... Wait, WRONG SONG!

Do you believe in life after love? (after love, after love)... STILL WRONG, D****T!!

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:02 pm

LoveSurvivor305

LoveSurvivor305

Caless Student
Caless Student
teamami wrote:May I ask why some of you consider this album to have a bad mix?

It's pretty hard to explain. Let's say: Go listen to the chorus of Yuugure, Tokeru and try to identify how many instruments you're hearing and which. How many layers are there? There's no way you could ever figure it out. And that is the problem. Normally, you SHOULD be able to identify separate layers and what exactly they're playing. I'm not well versed in the technical stuff, but I guess someone else could explain why exactly can this happen. I think it has to do with EQ.

Like I said, the ballads generally sound great, but the faster songs can get messy in spots (another fitting example is that chaotic bridge in Kanojo wa Wave). Most of the album sounds just fine, it's very inconsistent. I'm a bit offended, that these problems only appear on songs that turned out to be my favorites.  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1f604

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:53 pm

teamami

Caless Student
Caless Student
LoveSurvivor305 wrote:It's pretty hard to explain. Let's say: Go listen to the chorus of Yuugure, Tokeru and try to identify how many instruments you're hearing and which. How many layers are there? There's no way you could ever figure it out. And that is the problem. Normally, you SHOULD be able to identify separate layers and what exactly they're playing. I'm not well versed in the technical stuff, but I guess someone else could explain why exactly can this happen. I think it has to do with EQ.

Like I said, the ballads generally sound great, but the faster songs can get messy in spots (another fitting example is that chaotic bridge in Kanojo wa Wave). Most of the album sounds just fine, it's very inconsistent. I'm a bit offended, that these problems only appear on songs that turned out to be my favorites.  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1f604

The multitude of instruments that are present in the chorus of Yuugure may sound "mushy" but they still can be identified. Firstly, there are your bass and drums. Then there are three guitars: the most audible one is the two-note riff on the right channel; the electric rhythm guitar on the left channel, placed very low in the mix because I assume it only plays bog-standard chords or power chords; a scratchy-sounding acoustic guitar to accentuate the drum beats. Obviously, there is the lead synth, and then there's the insistent, 16th-note gated synth pad underneath it. My two cent is it was intentionally made to sound that way; there's almost a shoegaze-y quality to it. And it sounds cool to me Happy  

The bridge on Kanojo wa Wave is not all that chaotic: you can still hear the main chords, drums, etc. And the cool thing is that the noisy guitar part is actually an ingenious piece of musical storytelling: it sounds like a wave, one that is very passionate and conflicted, juxtaposed on top of a cool, funky and almost impersonal rhythm section, emphasizing the fleetingness of passion painted in Rina's lyrics.

hogradish wrote:Try thinking of Ai ni Naranakatta no sa as a country song. Think Kenny Chesney or someone like that. Try to visualize the band in jeans and cowboy boots line dancing. There actually are clubs in Japan that do just that. And do a YouTube search for Bluegrass Police. It will blow your mind.
 At the start of Prism is the sound of a music box being wound up. Think of Haruna as a tiny clockwork dancer in the music box, slowly turning while light is reflected off the prism-cut glass on the edges of the box. The bells and chimes in the mix represent the sound of a music box. Does that imagery help?

That's an... interesting perspective. Just seen Bluegrass Police btw. Mind blown  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1f44d  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1f44d  in a good way of course Happy

Last edited by SH_Staff on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:27 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Merged double posts. Please edit your first post if you wish to add more.)

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:16 pm

LoveSurvivor305

LoveSurvivor305

Caless Student
Caless Student
@teamami

OK, guess I'm deaf, cause I got maybe half of what you've mentioned during my few listens. Then I don't know what other people's issues with the mix are. They might have the same hearing problem like me. 10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1f605  Good ear!

(Anyway, I still think the shoegaze-y quality is the exact opposite of quality, whether it was intentional or not.)

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:24 am

harurob

harurob

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
It took 2 long days for CdJapan to update the shipping cost (cmon), only to be blocked by the credit card company (oh pls), and another 2 long days to finally ship the album (JESUS). Because of that, it won't arrive in time for the application.

Now I'm feeling dead inside.

Going to listen to the album to cheer myself up a little.

SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2020 “Kiss from the darkness” Livestream [2020.08.21]  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 2705 

SCANDAL 『SEASONS』 collaborated with NAKED Livestream [2020.12.24]  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 2705 

SCANDAL 15th ANNIVERSARY LIVE 『INVITATION』 at Osaka-Jo Hall Livestream [2021.08.21]  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 2705 

SCANDAL live at ANIME FRIENDS AF20 “Live in Brazil” at Distrito Anhembi, São Paulo [2023.07.16]  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 2705 
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:52 am

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

harurob wrote:Because of that, it won't arrive in time for the application.

I've been thinking about this for a bit, and I think I've just decided:

If you (and anyone else who will not get the album in time) can send me proof that you've ordered the album, I can send you guys the link to watch the studio live!

Please PM me:

-A screenshot of your order confirmation email showing the store you purchased it from, order date, and album edition(s) purchased. Make sure to block out any sensitive info such as your address.

-Your favorite song off of MIRROR!

If everything looks to be in order, I will PM you the link on Sunday, Jan. 30th @ 6 pm JST, which is one hour before the live starts at 7 pm JST.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:56 am

dchan419

dchan419

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
https://www.instagram.com/dchan419/
izzy wrote:So... what can I say about Mirror? To be honest I'm even more disappointed than I thought. To be clear I completely respect the band and their need to evolve... but I've just realised that it's the end of my "relation" with Scandal. That's a sad day but that's just the way it is.

RINA nope 

I mean there's plenty of bands throughout history that add to their library as opposed to changing their sound. There were plenty of Scandal tracks from yellow,  Hello World and Queens are Trumps that i didn't like but I think it's more that they are brancing out as opposed to they are moving in this direction. I've grown to like many tracks on those aforementioned albums and though i wasn't the biggest fan on my first listen through on Mirrors, it has grown on me. Yes my favorite scandal tracks tend to be a little faster and rock but i think it's a little harsh or dramatic to say your relationship is over with the band. It's perfectly alright to not like the sound of this album.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:33 pm

victor_survive

victor_survive

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
After listening to the album a bunch of times, I'll write my thoughts of the album:

This Album shows diversity by the members composing different songs, compared to HELLO WORLD where each member composed songs as well, on Mirror you can see how time has passed for them and us. They’re now writing songs very freely, putting sounds of music they like. I really like this SCANDAL, doing music that a lot of people can enjoy and not putting themselves in one single genre. If all the songs would sound like Shunkan Sentimental, Awanai Tsumori no Genki de ne or AMDKJ I’d get bored already and not be as supportive as I’m right now. 

Compared to KFTD, this time it was harder to rank the songs, overall I loved most of them and many of the new songs will be top SCANDAL songs for me for now. Another solid and mature album from SCANDAL.

My review of the songs ranked (included spice and Living in the city)
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:04 pm

ankur_chipps

ankur_chipps

Caless Student
Caless Student
After three days of listening to the album, I must say that I realy love it! I think it's even one of my favourites from the band! I like albums that have good progression from track to track, and I do believe MIRROR delivers this quite well!

The title track MIRROR is really easy to get into, and also has a good beat to it. 

eternal has a bit of an awkward start but by the end, is quite moving especially with the "Kono shunkan, eien ni shite" line! 

Ai ni Naranakatta no sa is just beautiful! It has amaaaazing music and Haruna's voice really shines! 

Then, just as I'm just beginning to get lost in the flow, the powerful Kanojo wa Wave makes itself known with a bang! This is my favourite track, it's just so much fun. It makes me dance and jump around the room like crazy! I've heard it on loop like a hundred times already, and I'm not done with it still.

Ai no Shoutai is also a surprise! Not many Tomomi led songs make it to my favourites but this one is something else! Her voice goes really really well with the jazzy, chorus-y vibe. I think this one's my second favourite of the album!

Ivory was my favourite from the singles released last year, and I find myself wishing that I hadn't heard it before so that it would give me the same level of surprise that the other middle-four tracks do. I love the messaging and the emotions that this song captures.

Yuugure, Tokeru is another song that's taking the band to new directions and it took me a few listens to get into this zone, but I am growing pretty fond of it right now. 

Out of all the songs I'd heard before album release, Ao no Naru Yoru no Sukima de surprised me the most. It was nice during the livestream, but didn't really make that much of an impression. On the album, though, that same song somehow is surprisingly excellent! I love it!

Prism is for me a little bit of a weak song, perhaps because I'm usually distracted in anticipation of the next track.

I absolutely heart one more time. I really needed this peppy song last year, and I sure am glad the band decided to release something so far removed from their signature style. I loved it so much that I've begun to explore more party songs recently. In the past I would have stayed away from something like this, but post-pandemic me definitely loves it.

What I admire most about new SCANDAL is that there is quite a bit of variety to their songs, which is something I happen to enjoy these days. Although I would have absolutely loved an album full of only rock songs until about 5 years ago, my taste in music is evolving and I like that this band is able to keep me guessing about what they're gonna come up with next!  TOMO plz

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:17 pm

Andy666

Andy666

International Performer
International Performer
After listening to the Album on Spotify while waiting for the CD to come, I have being listening to track 4 to 8 non stop, just loving it.

I agree with other post that Scandal enter the alternative genre area with this Album. It was going to be a risk going down this route but many bands has done this, how it work out we just have to wait. For me I think what happen last couple year has give the Band time be more creative in their song  writing.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:31 pm

hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
CDJapan is reporting Mirror as the #2 album in export sales this week. "Invitation" BR is holding strong as well.
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/export_chart_220128?utm_source=SNS&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=top40_Tp220128

Friendship. Effort. Victory.
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:40 pm

streame

streame

Caless Student
Caless Student
Weirdly enough, I really enjoyed the record. Usually I dislike more poppy style with electronic sound, but I guess the tasteful arrangement with distinctive melodic patterns won me over. "Mirror" is a bloody masterpiece, such smooth melodies changing one another and artsy arrangement may be their songwriting peak. Kanojo wa wave is a pleasant surprise, I really good energetic song. One more time has such a fun citypop vibe, and again is so beautifully done despite being so simple. Eternal is another masterpiece, but the familiar one, I loved it since the release. Ai no Shoutai is like a NEON TOWN ESPACE sequel for me by Tomomi and I love this style. Ivory and Yuugure, Tokeru are also great songs. Others I found a bit less interesting TBH, maybe they will grow up on me later.

Nevertheless, I can really feel that it is the beautiful album that I didn't expect but really enjoyed in the end.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:24 am

harurob

harurob

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
There may be some disagreements with its direction, but there's no denying that this is quality work.

Everything is in its place, like the bass lines, guitar notes on Ai ni Naranakatta no sa, drums on MIRROR and throughout the record. I've always loved Haruna singing the final mantra "Kono shunkan eien ni shite" on eternal, and the song fits the tracklist perfectly, as does Ivory.

Then Kanojo wa Wave started I was like "What's happening here??" and started to smile. The smile got wider with Ai no Shoutai, my favorite at the moment. This song is so huge that it should get its own MV, with all the crew, backup vocals, brass and everything else. My fear is it won't sound that good live with those elements being turned into backing tracks.

I got curious about Yuugure, Tokeru after Haru's interview and she didn't disappoint. So good! It's curious that she sings her own songs in a more natural range. The girls should realize this, they've pushed her so hard the last few years with all those high notes. They should be more cautious with the band's biggest asset. Haruna does a good job especially in the ballads. By the way the piano at the end of Prism is lovely and sublime.

The feeling of loss surrounding Ao no Naru Yoru no Sukima de hit me hard when I discovered that the song is about Maisa Tsuno from Akai Ko-en. I was tearing up reading the lyrics. Having Akai Ko-en as my favorite group next to SCANDAL I don't even know what to say. A beautiful gesture from the heart of Rina and the band.

And so one more time was accurately placed at the end, in hopes of happy times and better days ahead.

I need to hear more but I don't see anything that compromises the mix. They have worked with the same arrangers in the past and Victor Studio is well recognized. I can say the sound is more dry, a little different from the bright loudness of the Sony days.

TOMOmeow wrote:I'll consider this as a concept album because of the lyrical content and its overall sound. I also noticed that the transition from one to another is so smooth. As much as I like "Spice", I'm happy that they didn't include it on the album. Otherwise, it will appear as an oddball in the kitty litter.

As much as I love SPICE, this particular song fits better with "Kiss from the darkness", right after "YOU GO GIRL!". I've been hearing it that way since it was released. But it's okay, it deserved to be on an album.

teamami wrote:Firstly, there are your bass and drums. Then there are three guitars: the most audible one is the two-note riff on the right channel; the electric rhythm guitar on the left channel, placed very low in the mix because I assume it only plays bog-standard chords or power chords; a scratchy-sounding acoustic guitar to accentuate the drum beats. Obviously, there is the lead synth, and then there's the insistent, 16th-note gated synth pad underneath it. My two cent is it was intentionally made to sound that way; there's almost a shoegaze-y quality to it. And it sounds cool to me Happy  

I think you're right. Rina mentioned the intention to create a shoegaze sound for this album (She grew up listening to British rock).

hogradish wrote:At the start of Prism is the sound of a music box being wound up. Think of Haruna as a tiny clockwork dancer in the music box, slowly turning while light is reflected off the prism-cut glass on the edges of the box. The bells and chimes in the mix represent the sound of a music box. Does that imagery help?

HARU squee

dchan419 wrote:I mean there's plenty of bands throughout history that add to their library as opposed to changing their sound. There were plenty of Scandal tracks from yellow, Hello World and Queens are Trumps that i didn't like but I think it's more that they are brancing out as opposed to they are moving in this direction.

That's it. They're expanding but it's not like they've turned their backs on their heavier sound. It just didn't happen this time. I bet the tours will be fire!

SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2020 “Kiss from the darkness” Livestream [2020.08.21]  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 2705 

SCANDAL 『SEASONS』 collaborated with NAKED Livestream [2020.12.24]  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 2705 

SCANDAL 15th ANNIVERSARY LIVE 『INVITATION』 at Osaka-Jo Hall Livestream [2021.08.21]  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 2705 

SCANDAL live at ANIME FRIENDS AF20 “Live in Brazil” at Distrito Anhembi, São Paulo [2023.07.16]  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 2705 
Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:17 am

LoveSurvivor305

LoveSurvivor305

Caless Student
Caless Student
harurob wrote:They're expanding but it's not like they've turned their backs on their heavier sound. It just didn't happen this time. 

Great point! I also wouldn't totally give up hope for other heavier rocking stuff in the future. I kinda got from what the girls have been saying in recent interviews, that they were clearly a bit worried what their fans would think about the album, because it's so different. Of course, since A.M.D.K.J. was like their most successful song in years, they are aware that (I dare to say) most people would probably rather hear something closer to that than contemporary pop. 

Let's not act like they haven't delivered a completely different album from the previous one every single time (especially since they took the songwriting into their own hands). I really like this one, but yeah, it's not really what I want to hear from them and I probably don't need more of this. But the thing is, MIRROR doesn't necessarily set a trend for their future output. "This is who we are now," says Rina. And they were someone else just two years ago. And two years before that. They'll be different next time too. If you don't like this, don't give up on them just yet.  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1f609

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:19 pm

victor_survive

victor_survive

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Did anyone had issues when registering the serial code? I followed TGE tutorial (tysm!), but had a whole bunch of errors. Didn't know why, I thought it was the phone number (it was the tower records phone initially), so I changed it to disneyland tokyo phone number  10th Album - 「MIRROR」 - Page 6 1f602 , but still had the issue. I found out that the problem was the optional message for the band, I wrote it in english and it was less than 100 characters, so perhaps it's only allowing japanese messages?

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2024 SCANDAL HEAVEN.