Re: Pre-major debut questions about SCANDAL
Posted on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:59 pm

hitorikun

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
the only thing we can do is assume as we have to concrete proof as of now.. maybe someday. >.<

so as far as my thread goes, we can assume this is what happened (timeline-like). points with * are assumed by me. lol

the girls got into Caless (each with their own reasons) 
>>> then over the course of time, Caless decided* (with or without Kitty's prodding) to hold an audition for a girl's band* (idol/rock regardless)
>>> one particular teacher(or teachers) urged the girls to audition even though they are inexperienced (aside maybe from mami*)*
>>> the final group was formed (girlsband w/o Rina yet), with or without Kitty's intervention*
>>> Rina joined 2 months after cause she was late in enrolling*
>>> the band, now complete started practicing furiously (with or without Caless' support*) [enter the whole "they paid everything by themselves part/stayed up all night on the studio cause its cheaper"]
>>> somehow somewhere somebody (Caless? Kitty?) decided they are ready to put themselves up on Shiroten (still unpolished). [enter mystery staff on shiroten]
>>> the girls played on shiroten extensively
>>> where eventually they got discovered* and got an offer* (by Kitty*)
>>> then afterwards evaluated in a gig by executives*, which gave them a go signal eventually
>> Kitty signed them up, and went into more further practices to further improve
>>> made their first songs recorded (space ranger/kagerou/koi muyou,etc..)*
>>> DOLL made debut.*

these are all before their major debut. if i missed some points, i apologise. >.<

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
UHUH! ~ Timo's tears will never lie. [/size]
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 pm

mbowie4321

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFFGF9eCrouGyWhIrVhR8Mw?view_as
This is an interesting, although old and maybe resolved, thread (at least to me, internet archaeology is kinda fun!). On the Caless blog it says they signed a training contract with Kitty Records on Oct. 12, 2006. Google translate no doubt made hash out of it:

2006-10-12 11: 33: 26
Theme: blog

Today Caless Vocal & Dance School Osaka school Tomomi Ogawa · Rina Suzuki. It was decided to sign a training agreement with Mami Sasazaki, Mr. Ono Haruna of Nagoya School and four Kitty of Co., Ltd. The band's plan started up in mid-July, and 4 members decided. About the end of the Bon festival, since members started together, August 28th "HEAVY RHYTHM FINAL"
Appearance in the opening act (Super Thro ~ ~ ~ Tempo's "Time Machine Requests") And it was decided to contract today.

And from a few days prior to that:

Audition and Interview
2006-10-07 11: 26: 22
Theme: blog

Yesterday, people from a certain record company visited Caless Osaka school, I held an audition in the university.  It seems to be planned to consider at a takeaway meeting such as video materials. We are planning to hold another campus audition at Osaka / Nagoya / Yokohama school again next month. Everyone of Carreko will do your best by doing it hard and practice & diet etc. Good luck (laugh)

Last edited by mbowie4321 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:31 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Merged double posts. Please edit your first post if you want to add something!)

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:27 pm

3mania

Caless Student
Caless Student
I'm curious as to how they hooked up with Masterworks and were performing songs like SLMagic and Space ranger right from the get go. Seems unusual that a a band that had only just started had enough interest from professional songwriters/ producers to get access to that kind of material.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:33 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
3mania wrote:I'm curious as to how they hooked up with Masterworks and were performing songs like SLMagic and Space ranger right from the get go. Seems unusual that a a band that had only just started had enough interest from professional songwriters/ producers to get access to that kind of material.

That's because MASTERWORKS is/was connected to Caless. We don't know why or how as you can't find any info online (perhaps they're a staff member?), but their site, which has been linked to before in this thread, has an entire Caless section on it.

mbowie4321 wrote:This is an interesting, although old and maybe resolved, thread (at least to me, internet archaeology is kinda fun!). On the Caless blog it says they signed a training contract with Kitty Records on Oct. 12, 2006. Google translate no doubt made hash out of it:

Let's make those sound better, shall we? Tongue

https://ameblo.jp/caless2008/entry-10060125534.html

Yesterday, people from a certain record company visited Caless's Osaka branch and held auditions at the school. It seems that they plan to take the videos, etc. and will examine them at a meeting.

We are planning to hold auditions at the Osaka, Nagoya, and Yokohama branches again next month. Caless students, please keep working hard until then and do your best with practice and diets (haha).

https://ameblo.jp/caless2008/entry-10060125350.html

Today, Tomomi Ogawa and Rina Suzuki from Caless's Osaka branch + Mami Sasazaki and Haruna Ono from Caless's Nagoya branch signed a training contract with Kitty Co., Ltd.

The band project just started in late July, the four members were chosen when obon festivals ended, and the members started off after performing (a super slo~~~w tempo 「Time Machine ni Onegai」) as the opening act at 「HEAVY RHYTHM FINAL」 on 8/28. A contract has been given to them today.

The rest of what was written about them:
The girls are very unskilled, but only two months have passed since the band formed, much less the distance between Osaka and Nagoya. At the time they performed as the opening act, even their guitar tuning was shaky and the drums began to be played with the snare wire still off of the snare drum. Their amateur power was on full blast. (Bitter smile)

The staff at Caless will tell you about instruments when asked, but they don't actually teach you how to play an instrument. You can come and ask as much as you want since there are many musicians around, but we did not want our students to choose the option of 「Teach me」 from the beginning, and 「Teach me」 will eventually turn into 「Do this for me」.

We started with wanting to have them to like their instruments, like the members, and like the band. We had two students from Nagoya come to Osaka after the Nagoya recital, and the four of them cooked for themselves and lived together. Every weekend since September we've continued to have the four of them board together in Osaka.

There are slight mistakes and such since they are children, but they've been working hard the entire time. It's conveyed to not just us, but the staff at Kitty as well. So, even though they cannot play their instruments at all, the promise of anticipating what they'll be like in another year if they work hard now was purchased, and a training contract was signed.

We want to further support them as Caless so that they can practice even more at a tremendous speed from this point on and go up to the major leagues.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2011.07.03 SCANDAL @ AM2 -Anaheim, CA 2012.03.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN @武道館 2012.11.03+04 SCANDAL HALL TOUR 2012 @愛知 2012.11.10 SCANDAL @ Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.03.03 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 @大阪城ホール 2014.06.01 Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2014 2014.06.02 SCANDAL Fan Meeting 2015.04.25 SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015「HELLO WORLD」 Paris, FR 2015.04.26「HW」London, UK 2015.04.30「HW」Essen, GER 2015.05.15「HW」-Chicago, IL 2015.05.20「HW」Mexico City, MEX 2015.05.22「HW」Los Angeles, CA 2015.05.23「HW」Anaheim, CA 2016.01.12+13 SCANDAL ARENA TOUR『PERFECT WORLD』@武道館2016.05.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 2016.05.22 Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2016 2016.05.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 2016.08.21 SCANDAL 10th ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL @泉大津フェニックス 2017.07.14+15+17 SCANDAL's 47 Prefecture Tour
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:29 pm

mbowie4321

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFFGF9eCrouGyWhIrVhR8Mw?view_as
Thanks thoseguiltyeyes for the cleaned up translation. I see from the Caless blog that on March 15, 2007 they went to a studio on the Izu peninsula with Kitty to practice recording. Couple of pics there, too.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:54 pm

strawhatcrew

Caless Student
Caless Student
wow, thats their first performance as scandal right?
the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQlbj-A5mpk pretty hard for amateur to do haha xD

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:49 pm

3mania

Caless Student
Caless Student
I noticed Masterworks songwriting credits stop appearing after the first couple of albums. Do you think he just stopped providing material for the band, or starting using his real name after he realized the girls were pretty good and might actually go somewhere?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:18 am

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
3mania wrote:I noticed Masterworks songwriting credits stop appearing after the first couple of albums. Do you think he just stopped providing material for the band, or starting using his real name after he realized the girls were pretty good and might actually go somewhere?

It actually seems possible that "MASTERWORKS" collectively refers to several people working at Caless, since the Caless staff's old blog used the username MASTERWORKS and was titled "Caless staff's blog." But yeah, I really, really doubt that they were like, "Oh, looks like SCANDAL's getting big; time to take credit for their songs using my/our real name(s)." Highly unlikely.

Perhaps they were kind of like a stepping stone for artists coming out of Caless and into the entertainment industry (they also wrote the lyrics for a song for singer Yuya Matsushita, another graduate of Caless, three years after his major label debut), so perhaps they were contracted to write a finite number of songs for SCANDAL/write for them for a few years since they only wrote songs for them from 2007-ish to 2009.

Honestly, though, we'll never know the 100% correct answer.

2011.07.03 SCANDAL @ AM2 -Anaheim, CA 2012.03.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN @武道館 2012.11.03+04 SCANDAL HALL TOUR 2012 @愛知 2012.11.10 SCANDAL @ Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.03.03 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 @大阪城ホール 2014.06.01 Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2014 2014.06.02 SCANDAL Fan Meeting 2015.04.25 SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015「HELLO WORLD」 Paris, FR 2015.04.26「HW」London, UK 2015.04.30「HW」Essen, GER 2015.05.15「HW」-Chicago, IL 2015.05.20「HW」Mexico City, MEX 2015.05.22「HW」Los Angeles, CA 2015.05.23「HW」Anaheim, CA 2016.01.12+13 SCANDAL ARENA TOUR『PERFECT WORLD』@武道館2016.05.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 2016.05.22 Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2016 2016.05.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 2016.08.21 SCANDAL 10th ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL @泉大津フェニックス 2017.07.14+15+17 SCANDAL's 47 Prefecture Tour
Back to top Go down