A moment of contemplation
Posted on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:09 pm

bennycz

Caless Student
Caless Student
Sometimes I tend to overthink things. Happened again the other day and I just can't get it out of my head, so I try to share and listen to other's opinions. The thing is:
I am a SCANDAL fan. I mean like, big time. I listen to them every day, I watch every damn video there is, although I dont understand a word, hell, I even started to take lessons of japanese, just to understand them (because, lets face it, I won't ever be able to afford to spend holidays in Japan...). I obsessively watch this site, FB pages, Youtube, waiting for every snippet of info, pictures, videos... I am basically a stalker Happy . Well, nothing new here, I bet half of you guys are the same. 

So this stalkery part of me would be happy if there was something SCANDALous happening every day; there could be at least one, better two studio albums every year, and they should visit every damn country in the world every year. Right?

But then there is this other thing - the fact that I REALLY fell in love with these girls; not just the music or the act. I feel like I really care about what is happening to them as human beings, not just those icons on a stage. And from this point of view, I wonder and I worry if this crazy rollercoaster, this speeding train of popularity, fame, lights and stuff, does them any good. I mean, Mami-chan recently ended up in hospital and she doesn't look completely healthy to me yet. Do the girls actually have any time off? Like really private time for themselves, no cameras around, no brand of clothes to promote? What chance do they have to build a relationship, not mentioning starting a family or something... Because they are approaching their thirties and man, it is a slippery slope from there on, I know a thing about it myself... I am sure they love what they do, you can feel it from every song they make, and they are a great team and they are so lucky to have one another; but i still can't help but wonder - is it enough?

I was trying to find a way to express these mixed feelings somehow. Finally, I came up with this: if somehow I could make one wish for the girls, that would be granted, it would be something like this: that each one of them had the power to decide what would be the best for her and go after that thing; even if it would mean to jump off the train. Because they should be in charge and in control of their own lives.

Wow, if anybody actually read this whole thing, kudos! Sorry for this, I don't have anybody to share it with around. Does anybody of you have similar thoughts sometimes? Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Re: A moment of contemplation
Posted on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:41 pm

Noodles

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
http://atarashiimusic.com
Hey man, I read the whole thing and I just wanted to say a few things that sometimes ourselves dont realize until someone from the outside lets us know and then we realize it. 

The main thing that I see a lot of people say and think about SCANDAL is that they feel somehow concerned over their wellbeing. SCANDAL are all adults. If they were an idol group under 18 years old I'd understand that youre worried about them being overworked and not being able to get a relationship, etc. All the members of the band are adults including management. They can take care of themselves and even if sometimes they overwork themselves for the benefit of the fans (having a show when one of the members might be sick or something) they do it because they want to. 

You dont need to worry about whether fame is good for them or not, thats for them to decide, nobody is forcing them to play music and they are old enough to decide what to do on their own. They are the ones signing the contracts.

Also culture is different for every country. Its absolutely common in the US for pop/rock stars to be open in their relationship and have boyfriends/girlfriends without an issue, this might even increase someones popularity if collab songs are made, or decrease it depending on the couple. In Japan its not the norm for artists to have open relationships as far as I know.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:21 am

Star~world96®

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
And if you are worrying about them not getting any free time, majority of their blogs( especially recently) have been about taking a day off and enjoying themselves, whether be with someone or just by themselves. They just like to post a lot of stuff on social media sites.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:51 am

Tuturu

Caless Student
Caless Student
Agreed! @Noodles @Star~world96

Also, I've never been to Japan but I know some friends who have/are currently staying there. The culture there is different, people tend to overwork themselves because that's who they are as a people. They value honor and the amount of effort you put into work.

I'd say SCANDAL is pretty lucky for getting at least 2 weekends of day off for themselves since an average Japanese (white collar jobs) usually gets sundays off, there are some who work at home and only goes out if necessary, like for groceries and emergency. (Feel free to correct me guys)

But I'm not saying the girls have it easy. I just mean on a daily basis, this is normal, considering the nature of their occupation as a musician.

For some reason, I trust Eisuke and the rest of the staff to take care of the girls. As for marriage and family, the girls will know when the time is right.
Onion Smile

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I listen to Timo's RICH bass everyday
Dance  
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:37 am

bennycz

Caless Student
Caless Student
Thank You guys for reading it and responding, I appreciate that very much. 
@Noodles Maybe I didn't put it correctly, after all, English is not my mother tongue. I am not concerned about them being exploited somehow (altough I can imagine that could also happen in some cases), I am sure they are not forced to do this. What I mean is that sometimes you can become a prisoner in your own life, tied with the sense of duties to others, scared of making a big change (maybe you have such people around you). And I can only imagine the amount of pressure they live under. Sometimes the fact you are an adult is just not enough to take charge of your own life. I don't think it is an issue right now, but I can imagine it might become one easily. 
Sorry for bothering you, guys. I am really looking forward to see them live in september; I suppose that after I see them enjoying their job in real life, my worries will be gone Happy

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:15 am

Noodles

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
http://atarashiimusic.com
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

bennycz wrote:Thank You guys for reading it and responding, I appreciate that very much. 
@Noodles Maybe I didn't put it correctly, after all, English is not my mother tongue. I am not concerned about them being exploited somehow (altough I can imagine that could also happen in some cases), I am sure they are not forced to do this. What I mean is that sometimes you can become a prisoner in your own life, tied with the sense of duties to others, scared of making a big change (maybe you have such people around you). And I can only imagine the amount of pressure they live under. Sometimes the fact you are an adult is just not enough to take charge of your own life. I don't think it is an issue right now, but I can imagine it might become one easily. 
Sorry for bothering you, guys. I am really looking forward to see them live in september; I suppose that after I see them enjoying their job in real life, my worries will be gone Happy

These issues you listed arent issues that you should be worrying about when someone is famous or popular and not clearly showing any of these signs, these are issues that you should worry about if someone doesnt have enough money to eat or has nowhere to live or is visibly going through some rough times, indications of this would be for example a blog post that would indicate that any of the members is going through some rough times. I want to make it clear to you that being worried isnt what is "wrong", its just that you shouldnt be concerning yourself with these issues because they arent actually there, you're overprotecting someone that doesnt need protecting in the first place and im just trying to help YOU. 

Your english is just fine and we can understand, dont worry about that. But I am 100% certain that you will change your mind as soon as you see them perform live and have the meet & greet with them, if you were worried about them you will see how much fun they have and how awesome they are to be around and all your worries will be gone

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:48 am

bennycz

Caless Student
Caless Student
Thanks. It is good to be able to share and it certainly helped me. You are right, or at least much closer to the truth than I was. I might be just projecting my own issues onto them Wink  Not that this issue troubles me excessively, I am otherwise quite a sane person Happy but thanks a lot.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:07 am

Oritasu

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

Don't worry you're not the only one Bennycz ! I used to be worried about this too!
I understand what you mean. 
You are afraid that they want to work so hard, they might skip some nice things in their lives and regret it later.

I admit that we both overthink this. 

Noodles, Star~World and Tuturu are right, they aren't forced to do this.
They always take time to know each other's feelings on things, and think carefully about what they'll do. 
If one of them doesn't feel right about something, I think they'll agree to do what is best for them. 
And thankfully, they're not under idol's laws  Sweating music = no personnal life !

I think they know this kind of life won't last forever (world tours so often, lives all along the year...), because they'll probably want to slow down a little in the future.
So they want to enjoy it now, as much as possible and work as hard as they can!
Fight!

Don't worry, I don't think they gave up on love or anything.
And they maybe already love someone Wink we don't know everything about them afterall !

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:23 am

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
Yes it is quite natural to worry about people you care about even if they are adults but like everyone has said they live in a very different culture to us.
Compared to the Japanese idols I also love who even travel to their gigs by Public Transport Scandal have a much easier life than them and you can tell from their blogs that they do get the time to 'do their own thing'.
And remember nobody is forced to become a Rock star Happy

Back to top Go down