My opinion on the whole "Sony are evil" deal.
Posted on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:26 pm

SakuRedux

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Okay, just to clarify, this is to nobody in particular. This is also not me complaining about SCANDAL. This is me stating my opinion on some of the things that have been said, just a general... annoyance with some of the members of the site. I mean no offence by it, I'm just sharing my views.

A lot of people are complaining about how Sony are treating SCANDAL, saying they're being overworked, forced into recording etc. Some are even complaining that their image is being manipulated to sell more records. My opinion on the matter? What's your point?

Bear in mind, I am in no way saying SCANDAL should be worked to the point they become ill, I'd never wish that upon anyone. What I am saying is, this is the path SCANDAL chose. The Japanese music industry is tough, there is no question of that. However, in comparison to the Western industry (USA, Canada, UK, Europe etc.) The Japanese artists have a relatively easy time.

Think of it this way: You make it big in Japan, you tour around Japan, maybe around Asia too. This can be tiring, of course.
However, you make it big in the US, you're almost guaranteed to become popular in places like Canada, the UK, and Australia. This means not only touring around the US, which itself is many times bigger than Japan, but touring in other countries that are thousands of miles away. Some artists have that many shows they can be doing a show in England, then almost straight afterwords be taking a flight to somewhere else to perform the next day.
I'll admit, the two industries works a lot differently in terms of how music is released: In Japan, you get multiple singles then an album; in the west it's the opposite way round (Promo single for the album, then multiple album tracks aired on radio in the weeks/months after the album releases).

Taking into mind what I just said, SCANDAL doing their show at AFAX, then flying home and recording the next day isn't as much of a hardship as some people are making it out to be. It seems to be forgotten that SCANDAL signed a contract with Sony/Epic Records. That contract will have undoubtedly said that SCANDAL have to record X amount of albums and singles during the term of the contract, on the condition that Sony promote them and that they get a share of the profits.

Using an example, let's say SCANDAL signed a 4 year long contract saying they have to release 4 full-length albums, each with at least 3 singles to be released before it. SCANDAL signed with Sony in 2008, released BEST*SCANDAL in 2009, with 4 singles (DOLL, Sakura Goodbye, Shoujo S and Yumemiru Tsubasa). They then released TEMPTATION BOX in 2010, with 3 singles before it (Shunkan Sentimental, TaiKimi and Namida no Regret). They also release SCANDAL Nanka Buttobase and R-GIRL's ROCK in the same year. Since RGR is a mini-album, it wouldn't count as a full-length album. This means that under their contract they still have 2 albums to record, each with 3 singles which likely need B-Side tracks. This means around 15-17 songs per year have to be written, composed, recorded and produced. This is relatively easy, given the fact that SCANDAL don't compose their songs, instead they only write the lyrics for them.

The bottom line is, SCANDAL made a business agreement. They need to honour their part of that agreement, as Sony have undoubtedly honoured theirs. If that means having to go without as much sleep as they'd like every so often, that's the way it goes. They are more than fairly compensated for their efforts.

Back to top Go down

Re: My opinion on the whole "Sony are evil" deal.
Posted on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:27 pm

rock_chick

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
some good points there saku.i can't agree more with you Clap

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:55 pm

7350legend

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Yea. Good point. We should just let them live the life they want.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Clustering crystal dreams open the door to a new evolution! Become the path its light shines upon! Accel Synchro! Be born, Shooting Star Dragon!"~ Yusei Fudo
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:47 pm

mikan

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://mikanhannille.com/
My say here is record labels such as sony, emi etc etc now focuses more in business than in music. I mean unlike before where musicians taking their time doing their songs not being under the pressure of a certain time frame by the company. This means more quality songs are being produced. It is very obvious nowadays with all these JB crap going on that record labels are actually putting the pressure into the musicians to produce more songs which in my opinion always ends up crap because of the lack of time spent on it. Record labels should be by musicians, for musicians, as a businessman doesn't have the same thing in mind as a musician do. I'm sure SCANDAL knows this well before signing a contract from Sony.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Gee

Caless Student
Caless Student
let me say something here... you know the scene in the movie "Music and Lyrics" where Drew Barrymore is being pressured by Hugh Grant to write a song in time for its release, then Drew can't write anything because according to her "I have no inspiration" and then Hugh exclaimed to her that "INSPIRATION IS FOR AMATEURS!". that scene applies to what mikan said.

the reason why some songs don't work nowadays is because they weren't given enough time to be written. some are rushed, some are just written just to release something. that's the sad story of professional songwriting. it's just all business

well, famous artists really are facing pressure in their profession. a lot of deadlines, tours, live guestings, promotions, etc. it's not just in Japan, but in every part of the globe as well. sometimes it's better to be an indie artist than a mainstream performer. your works are really made in your own style and concept. very original. unlike in the mainstream, you have to do what your producer wants, it removes the essence of self-character. yep, sad but true

Last edited by Gee on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:31 pm

rreizend

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://theflyinglemon.wordpress.com
whoa someone finally said it!

well, SCANDAL decided to gain more fame through Sony, since they wanted more copies of their singles/albums distributed than Kitty Records did. they signed a contract. an agreement.

mikan wrote:My say here is record labels such as sony, emi etc etcnow focuses more in business than in music. I mean unlike before wheremusicians taking their time doing their songs not being under thepressure of a certain time frame by the company. This means morequality songs are being produced. It is very obvious nowadays with allthese JB crap going on that record labels are actually putting thepressure into the musicians to produce more songs which in my opinionalways ends up crap because of the lack of time spent on it. Recordlabels should be by musicians, for musicians, as abusinessman doesn't have the same thing in mind as a musician do. I'msure SCANDAL knows this well before signing a contract fromSony.

i can't agree with you more there, and i as well wish that it really is like that. but with competition nowadays, especially in Japan, people just focus on how to get a decent meal every night.

Sakuredux wrote:just a general... annoyance with some of the members of the site.

derp.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:54 pm

mikan

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://mikanhannille.com/
I agree with both of you.

And just to add on my previous post because I feel I wasn't able to express my point there:

We should all know that SCANDAL signed a contract with a bunch of people who wants business. And we should all know that this kind of things are to be excpected.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:47 pm

Plutonium

International Performer
International Performer
I've worked at several concerts here in Toronto in the past few years.

I was positioned at the back doors where the artists come and go.

No encores, once the concert is done, they fly straight through to travel to the next place. Apparently, they are allowed to speed on our streets.

And nice thread Saku, I completely agree with everything you've said.
Just look at what's her name.. I think it was Justin Bieber? Woaw

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Koide Namizo

International Performer
International Performer
http://www.youtube.com/user/HeseEuy
Heso...!!!

seriously I agree with YUH saku...and mikan for ur first post...

let's look at what they did on 2010...after Taikimi single...they released singles, album, and mini-album once a month...it's like when YUH are still so into to one single...then another single comes out...and I thought there will be a long break after R-GIRL's ROCK...but..another release on february + DVD...shows us the true face of sony...Facepalm

even SCANDAL can't hide their tiredness anymore...D<

Heso...!!!

Hehee Hehee

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:34 am

yurisaku

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://yurisaku14.blog.fc2.com
hmm.. well, my stand on this is:

keep everything in moderation XD

it is true that as a signed artist for a particular record label, you have agreed to the terms beforehand.. and i believe that SCANDAL enjoy what they are doing.. even though they are tired, they still feel happy about what they've done.. a feeling of accomplishment, that is..

on the other hand, the bad part about this is that "some" record labels (okay, i am not referring to sony in particular) take advantage of their musicians happiness.. it is good that an artist is active in the industry.. there's nothing wrong with that.. but the arguing point would be the intention.. but ugh, to tell you honestly, as a record label, one of their aims is really profit.. a business is established for profit anyway.. but oh well.. to summarize everything..

just keep everything in moderation XD

userbar by KaitoKid
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:04 pm

yuizone

Caless Student
Caless Student
i belive that sony is not only factor here.

i think scandal want to make money when they can do.

for thier future.

wat s happen when their become 30 ?

life is not pure sweet .

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Paladinoras

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Err, honestly speaking, SCANDAL's rate is not THAT bad. Yes, they are tired, but let's face it, as stated before, they have a contractual obligation, and apparently people failed to notice that Nanka Buttobase had NO B-SIDE, and that R-Girls' Rock was a cover album, of which 2 was already released. So yes, Sony is working them to the bone, but they are not exactly pushing them to breaking point. I mean, do people in this good forum actually believe that our girls are that weak? Come on now. Yes, they had to fly around the world and perform, but they are a BAND, they know what they have to go through when they signed up for a major label. For what's worth, they are probably kinda enjoying this, they get to travel round the world doing the thing they love most, play music.

So seriously, Sony is not a big bad company as some of you will make out. The girls had a year to record Temptation Box, of which like, only 9 songs are new. I know that making songs aren't easy, but for now, SCANDAL aren't making their own songs, they are merely writing the lyrics...and even then, some people help them on a regular basis.

In conclusion, yes, SCANDAL is working hard, maybe too hard, but honestly speaking, they only produced like...18 new songs this year, which is roughly equal to last year, it's only that the release schedules are all congested, so to speak. From February to June to August to October to November, yes, it may seem like a lot, but if the girls record regularly, it's really not that amazingly much tbh. Many other Korean artists record at a much more prolific amount.

As for concerts...price of popularity I guess? SCANDAL didn't have to actually do AFA X, they did it because they wanted to I think. I don't think that AFA is endorsed by Sony or hosted by Sony/Epic Records, so I think it was their personal choice. And come on, Japan to Singapore is really not that far.

Please, call me Pally. XD
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:38 pm

damatte0924

International Performer
International Performer
I think everyone here has pretty much said everything. Business and art have always clashed, in some instances such as this. It is but an inevitable factor that both Sony and SCANDAL have an agreement on how they will go about their business. True, for the most part of it, SCANDAL will have to do more than what they bargained for, but hey, as what others have said, it is but the price of fame. On other hand, they get to play and be band that has their own style of music.

Most of us, including me, don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Sure there are "behind the scenes" videos, but of course there are some things that they don't show. I must admit that I don't like seeing our beloved SCANDAL tire themselves out too much, but to say the least, it is expected of them.

As for me, a fan, I shall keep on supporting them for as long as they are a band. Conscionable reciprocation for their efforts is simply our part as their admirers.

"The Ballad"
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:41 am

Noodles

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
http://atarashiimusic.com
mikan wrote:My say here is record labels such as sony, emi etc etc now focuses more in business than in music. I mean unlike before where musicians taking their time doing their songs not being under the pressure of a certain time frame by the company. This means more quality songs are being produced. It is very obvious nowadays with all these JB crap going on that record labels are actually putting the pressure into the musicians to produce more songs which in my opinion always ends up crap because of the lack of time spent on it. Record labels should be by musicians, for musicians, as a businessman doesn't have the same thing in mind as a musician do. I'm sure SCANDAL knows this well before signing a contract from Sony.

This, a million times this! Songs are made by so called popular musicians ALL THE TIME, sometimes they are awesome songs, sometimes they are pop-justinbieber just because they want to make money, on the other hand, a band without a label is like a shirt without a brand, sometimes they are good, but they are laying there on the floor and nobody sees them, same happens with bands, sometimes they are awesome, but they are street performers and nobody even cares, I'm pretty sure everyone here is familiar with the singer YUI right?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:01 am

Mahaha

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
i agree fully.
They chose this path , so that means they know whats gonna happen.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:36 pm

pau-pau

Caless Student
Caless Student
i agree with Saku.

maybe that's the reason why Haru-chan looks so tired in the Karaoke Singing Contest recently at Singapore.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:39 pm

spaceranger

Caless Student
Caless Student
Completely agree with Saku, we've got to admit it, music companies nowadays are in signing artists for the money. The music industry is business. We can't help but associate the two. Let's just hope that the record companies preserve SCANDAL's, and all artists' worldwide in general, freedom of musical expression.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:32 am

Freakypandaz

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
On the bright side, at least the girls ain't selling their bodies like the korean artists and the 48s are (IMO)... I believe that currently SCANDAL still really depends on their songs to make their living. SONY is just pushing them for more since they can get money as well. So what may eventually happen is their songs quality degrading from what their personal style. But will SONY care? Even if the songs eventually becomes JB style crap creations there's bound to be fans out there to buy the singles and albums. Just look at that demonic spawn's fanbase...

If Music + Professionalism = Crap Songs , this would explain the current English music industry in my opinion.
But I have to agree with Saku. The girls signed a contract. SCANDAL did make the switch from Kitty to Epic records because they wanted higher quantity releases. But everything comes at a price. If Epic records is as "slack" as Kitty records, then Kitty records would have long been out of business.

And don't forget, if SCANDAL made the switch to Epic because they didn't want their CDs and DVDs to be sold out so fast, then what it mean's is that SCANDAL was trying to cater to us fans. They probably didn't want us to be disappointed when we try to purchase their works only to discover it's sold out. They also probably wanted to make it more accessible to fans overseas like myself. [Guess everyone should go reflect upon themselves.]

I will try to ignore the possibility that SCANDAL signed the contract with Epic just for fame although there is a possibility... with the formation of official fanclubs such as Club SCANDAL and SCANDAL MANIA. Anyway, if SCANDAL's getting tired, it's because of us. What eventually drives SONY to slave labour SCANDAL is the demand from fans. It's just to make it more efficient to make money. SONY reacts to the music market in order to make more money, just as every other record company would. And what drives the market is the masses and fans. So I think that whatever SONY is doing is just the norm, they're a company, not a musician. They want money, and the most efficient way to make money is from fans. They could even be forcing a change in SCANDAL's music style to the demonic spawn's style because there's probably more fanbase in that genre.

That's my opinion... I guess?

If the pouring rain stops, the new sky will shine. Anytime can change for sure, as long as you seriously wish for it everything will be alright. ~会いたい - SCANDAL
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Paladinoras

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Nah, I don't think Sony is forcing them to do any specific musical styles.

Let's face it, no one would buy their cover album except for us fans and a few nostalgic oldies who would probably think that this is just a lame attempt at trying to recapture 80's rock. Most people these days would have no idea what the songs are, and come to think of it, I don't think R-Girl's Rock sold all that well either.

Please, call me Pally. XD
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:29 pm

qx123

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
I dont see anything wrong with Sony...

And going through their blog and twitter... it didnt look as though their schedule is that punishing either...

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:29 pm

imymemine

Caless Student
Caless Student
the best choice would be they join YG in korea. YG gives their artist freedom and they still get famous

Back to top Go down