Is HARUNA's amplifier too weak?
Posted on Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Makkuro

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://bucktickmusic.forumotion.com
In live performances, I often can't hear what Haru's playing, even though she is certainly playing...Hmmm  Do you think she needs a bigger amp or something? Also it's clear that she needs more parts...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
“It must be an illusion? Isn’t it pathetic? Tell me!”
“Is it a lie? Is it the truth? It doesn’t matter to me”
Back to top Go down

Re: Is HARUNA's amplifier too weak?
Posted on Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:52 pm

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
Her amp is always mic'd, and then mixed on a sound board. In a setup like that, it really doesn't matter how loud the amp is. However it's mixed, it's intentionally that way, and it changes from song to song. Sometimes Haruna's parts are hard to hear, sometimes they're dominant.

Mami's sound from her Strat is pretty thin, probably intentionally because she usually plays high on the neck and wants to have a sound that cuts through. (She plays a different guitar when she wants a thicker sound.) Haruna's sound from all of her Telecasters is pretty much the same, and it's pretty thick because she's using Gibson-style humbuckers (the reissue Fender WRHB pickups in her guitars are really Gibson-style humbuckers). She also is almost always just playing power chords down near the bottom of the neck. So depending on the type of song it is, they'll mix the two guitars differently. Some songs would sound boring if Haruna was too loud; but when they want a heavier sound, they mix Haruna louder.

I don't know much about Shinos amps and Haruna is the only guitarist I've ever personally heard playing through one, so it's possible the amp has its own sound and that she'd sound better with something else... but it's really hard to say. The actual volume, though, is being controlled at the sound board, not the amp itself.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:07 pm

Makkuro

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://bucktickmusic.forumotion.com
spacecadet wrote:Her amp is always mic'd, and then mixed on a sound board. In a setup like that, it really doesn't matter how loud the amp is. However it's mixed, it's intentionally that way, and it changes from song to song. Sometimes Haruna's parts are hard to hear, sometimes they're dominant.

Mami's sound from her Strat is pretty thin, probably intentionally because she usually plays high on the neck and wants to have a sound that cuts through. (She plays a different guitar when she wants a thicker sound.) Haruna's sound from all of her Telecasters is pretty much the same, and it's pretty thick because she's using Gibson-style humbuckers (the reissue Fender WRHB pickups in her guitars are really Gibson-style humbuckers). She also is almost always just playing power chords down near the bottom of the neck. So depending on the type of song it is, they'll mix the two guitars differently. Some songs would sound boring if Haruna was too loud; but when they want a heavier sound, they mix Haruna louder.

I don't know much about Shinos amps and Haruna is the only guitarist I've ever personally heard playing through one, so it's possible the amp has its own sound and that she'd sound better with something else... but it's really hard to say.  The actual volume, though, is being controlled at the sound board, not the amp itself.
I know what you're talking about, but I think the parts should be mixed a lil'bit louder. Without a rhythm guitarist in general, the sound of the entire band is pretty thin. I think it would be actually a good thing to mix her sound louder.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
“It must be an illusion? Isn’t it pathetic? Tell me!”
“Is it a lie? Is it the truth? It doesn’t matter to me”
Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:39 pm

Af8!

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Actually, for the most part, Haruna's guitar is very easy to hear. Especially in recent performances, her guitar is easier to hear than Mami's. The sound that each guitar produces is different, and from what I can tell, Haru has a thicker sound. If it helps, try listening with headphones, or something like that. Either way, it's easier to pick out who's playing what when you know who plays what.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:55 am

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Makkuro wrote:I know what you're talking about, but I think the parts should be mixed a lil'bit louder. Without a rhythm guitarist in general, the sound of the entire band is pretty thin. I think it would be actually a good thing to mix her sound louder.
Just out of curiosity, do you have any examples of where you think she's too low in the mix? I'm sure I've seen a few performances where she was a bit quieter, but it's usually hard to tell if that's really the way it sounded live, because not every live performance on TV is a well controlled environment and some may not be mixed well for TV. Events like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], for example, where they have to share equipment with other bands and where they're not really in control of the broadcast itself, or the mix. Usually I feel like all the instruments lack clarity in those cases, though, not just Haruna.

In their official live releases, she's really easy to hear. And the one time I saw them actually live, her playing was also very clear. But on some TV broadcasts, none of the instruments seem to really come through the way they sound in person at their own controlled events.

I'll say that when I saw them, I was shocked by how heavy they were, and I'd seen live videos of them (including their own) plenty of times. They have a huge sound when they're in control of the environment, and a lot of that's Haruna.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 am

madeindar

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
spacecadet wrote:
Makkuro wrote:I know what you're talking about, but I think the parts should be mixed a lil'bit louder. Without a rhythm guitarist in general, the sound of the entire band is pretty thin. I think it would be actually a good thing to mix her sound louder.
Just out of curiosity, do you have any examples of where you think she's too low in the mix? I'm sure I've seen a few performances where she was a bit quieter, but it's usually hard to tell if that's really the way it sounded live, because not every live performance on TV is a well controlled environment and some may not be mixed well for TV. Events like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], for example, where they have to share equipment with other bands and where they're not really in control of the broadcast itself, or the mix. Usually I feel like all the instruments lack clarity in those cases, though, not just Haruna.

In their official live releases, she's really easy to hear. And the one time I saw them actually live, her playing was also very clear. But on some TV broadcasts, none of the instruments seem to really come through the way they sound in person at their own controlled events.

I'll say that when I saw them, I was shocked by how heavy they were, and I'd seen live videos of them (including their own) plenty of times. They have a huge sound when they're in control of the environment, and a lot of that's Haruna.
hahaha i wanted to write the same thing, so i guess your post explained it quite well. 
tv performances are tricky

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:30 am

M

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Haruna plays the rhythm and Mami plays the lead (As we all know) and some bands really intend to overlap the leads to the rhythm. So it might be possible that the amplifier has no problem. I've also noticed that Haruna palm mute's when Mami plays or they go in sync, and sometimes Haruna doesn't play at all.Happy But I've seen a couple of videos of them live and she really does play at most and
at some parts when they both play as rhythm Mami would sometimes stop and let Haruna take over. Happy) Headphones/Earphones do help you hear more even the effects of the song lol

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:25 pm

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
One other thing I just thought of as I re-read my last comment... I mentioned that they sound really big when actually live, and that's because Haruna's sound is actually really bassy. There's a lot of low end to her tone, whereas Mami's tone has a lot more treble. But bass tones do have a harder time coming through on TV, both because microphones have a harder time picking them up and small TV speakers have a harder time reproducing them than a giant PA system with 50 inch speaker cones. So you're probably missing about 50% of her tone even in the best of circumstances unless you're really there. If you are there, you can *feel* her playing, I mean it really hits you in the chest and vibrates your whole body. You don't really get that from Mami; Mami sounds basically the same on TV as she really does because it's easier to reproduce higher frequencies through TV (though you still lose a little bit; she still has *some* bass to her tone).

They do a pretty good job trying to replicate the live sound on their DVD's but it's obviously still not quite the same. I think maybe if you had a pretty monstrous home theater setup that could really reproduce low tones and also get some massive volume, then if you put in either the Budokan or Osaka-jo Hall DVD and cranked it up to where you could feel it through your whole body, you'd be pretty close and you'd feel and hear Haruna dominating at that point.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:35 pm

Metal Mickey

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I'd been to both of their 2 concerts in my city. Yes, the girls are so powerful on stage.
I can still recall that Mami's guitar sound had more clarity and definition while Haruna's wasn't and almost hard to notice.
I suspect that was because their sound man put most of their care tweaking for the lead guitarist.
The audio via the PA's massive cabinets is a major factor as well.
Off topic. That is also why David Gilmour will brings his EMGs equipped strat to the stage (guitar signal strong enough to cut through the PA mix), but leave the vintage #001 strat to studio recording use only Haha!

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Mitchan

International Performer
International Performer
http://www.wattpad.com/user/MitchanAnni
Makkuro wrote:In live performances, I often can't hear what Haru's playing, even though she is certainly playing...Hmmm  Do you think she needs a bigger amp or something? Also it's clear that she needs more parts...
Agree.. but through she plays rhythm i think it's normal sound for her guitar. She hasn't got parts in the songs that are very noticeable! So, i think she doesn't need more sound

Tears of Joy
Back to top Go down