SCANDAL's New Logo! [Page 2 of 4]

Re: SCANDAL's New Logo!
Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:27 pm

iamcrazymike

iamcrazymike

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://www.crazygolucky.com
Tombery wrote:And I can’t hold it back anymore, I tied so long but I can’t resist right now. I really don’t like Stamp! as well. Now I feel better :-D
Welcome to the club . . .

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:40 pm

etwee

etwee

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
To be honest I never cared for the old logo much, so I just tried to ignore it. As for this one, is it too late for them to take comments? I think they should understand that non-Japanese, especially young "western" fans, are fascinated with Japanese and other "non-western" scripts. We really want to build their international fan base, right? So I wish the new SCANDAL logo could combine "SC" with ”スキ” (There are a number of ways to combine or overlay the two and I made a rough version but sorry, don't know how to attach it to my post)

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Star~world96®

Star~world96®

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
saldiven wrote:I don't have a problem with it. Though, I've never been a person that paid a lot of attention to logos, anyway.
Yeah, the new logo is nothing special, but it certainly wont change the whole band...its just a picture. I never really paid attention to their logos either, i usually see it on Rina bass drum and some banner.

The only problem I have with it is that it does painfully resembles other bands logo, i hope they don't get copyright issues for it. .omg. and at least could they change the color to something more eye catching.

Other than that I'm okay with the new logo, though generic, it is something fresh and new from their previous logo. The old logo was unique had a bit more sass, but I certainly don't want it back, they have to change it somehow, it was starting to get old. They're just pictures they can change all they want as they please, we probs wont see it as much tho.

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Sakuragimk

Sakuragimk

Caless Student
Caless Student
i do not like at all, it is very simple it reminds me SPYAIR, Tricot, Flash, Harry potter, Linkin Park, Fallout, Samus, etc etc etc.
very common Sad

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:59 pm

raynsity

raynsity

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Don't like it at all. It pretty much represents their new song Stamp!,  simple and unoriginal.

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:08 pm

metalleo

metalleo

International Performer
International Performer
http://www.leojhphoto.com/
To me it appears that the huge negative reaction to this change is partly due to the fact that we've been too used to seeing the old logo for so many years, that such a sudden and huge change in style is a huge shock to most of us. So many comments have been talking about how the old logo looked better, and I'm not surprised. Their old logo had become such a trademark that I could say it has literally become their brand, it's hard not to draw comparisons to it.

But think about this: what would we have thought about such a logo if this was the one they used from their debut, instead of the crowned S. Would we have the same reaction as what's happening now (i.e. calling it minimalistic or being literally ripoffs of other bands' logos) or would we not give two hoots about how the logo looks back then?

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 2 2d0ylnt
Asia Tour 2013 (Singapore) - 16/03/13
HELLO WORLD (Singapore) - 08/05/15
PERFECT WORLD (Budokan) - 12/01/16, 13/01/16
YELLOW (Singapore) - 04/06/16
10TH ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL (Osaka Izumiotsu Phoenix) - 21/08/16

Discovery of SCANDAL - 22/07/11
First SCANDAL Concert - 16/03/13
First Banner Chosen and Displayed On SH - 29/04/14
First SCANDAL Concert in Japan - 12/01/16
First Time to Photograph SCANDAL at a Concert - 04/06/16
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:49 pm

saldiven

saldiven

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

Now that I've thought about it, I kind of think that it's past time that they changed their logo.

To me, it seemed like the original logo was based on the idea of a school crest; kind of like what you'd see embroidered on the left breast side of a school uniform jacket. The band is well past the period of their career where school uniforms are part of their image, so the old logo was the last vestige of that concept.

I cannot say whether or not this new logo is the best option, but something new was overdue.

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Mitchan

Mitchan

International Performer
International Performer
Woaaah!
I didn't expect sooo much negative comments for the new logo, since i really like it. Well, it's not as original as the Crowned S, but for international fanbase i think this logo would be easier to recognize. Looks like western band's logo and that's why i think.

Well, i can't say anything yet, since the band won't explain the logo change themselves.

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 2 Tumblr_pon1n3Osjl1shzh85o3_400
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:18 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
For those who aren't aware, this was their original logo that they used from 2009-2010:
logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 2 L2CRVNA

The logo that we all knew before the change yesterday was their second logo, used from 2011-now:
logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 2 GSGTyeP

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 2 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 pm

reilachii

reilachii

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://reilachii.tumblr.com
raynsity wrote:Don't like it at all. It pretty much represents their new song Stamp!,  simple and unoriginal.
totally agree.
changing the logo was necessary to me, even if it was for a better looking one for goods and/or for giving a western/european look to the band. I was waiting a slightly change of the logo for the upcoming 10th anniversary of the band, but a temporary change just for the big year not something that will last for many years to come like the previous one.

logo is not the first thing you see in a band, but it gives you an idea of it, and this logo doesn't seems to fit the band (maybe it will fit the music they are producing now)

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:56 pm

darksider59

darksider59

International Performer
International Performer
Like iamcrazymike said, their new logo looks like The Flash logo. Plus the similarities with Tricot's logo are obvious, it can be confusing. I imagine how it will look like if the two bands are scheduled on a show and the logos are next to each other on the flyers.

I don't think it's that bad but it looks definitively too simple.

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 2 MUW2SyY
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:06 pm

JR_Grimes

JR_Grimes

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
https://www.instagram.com/jr_grimes/
It's Soooooooo Plain And Boring, I Hope They Didn't Think People Would Be Excited For This. I Agree It Looks Like The Logo For Like Electronic Music Or Something And I Know They're Not Going To Start Playing That. This Couldn't Have Been A Unanimous Decision Among The Band And Management

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 2 G8xw2Sx
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:36 pm

Railgun

Railgun

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
This logo looks fine but no feelings about it at all Sad I really liked the old one  Happy

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:39 pm

tomorocks

tomorocks

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
I like the new logo, but that's probably because I've always liked simple band logos such as the Linkin Park one that it resembles. But for Scandal, I agree that the crown logo was the best fit. That logo had become so synonymous with the band for so long that it's hard to see it go away. But, like I said, I'm fine with the new logo. I wouldn't mind seeing it on Rina's bass drum.

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:46 pm

bleachnlife

bleachnlife

International Performer
International Performer
I think people are not liking the new logo, because SCANDAL's logo has always had thicker stockier lettering  and their logo was also bold like it was big and in your face. So for a sudden change to stick thin lettering and line type for the logo, its quite a shocker. For the past too logos, its been very balances and symmetrical. I don't get why the sudden change in logo. I mean if its to suit the changing sound, they should have done it way back when they released their album STANDARD. 

Besides with their new logo, without knowing them, it would be possible to associate with yes as someone said before, DJs and electronic music and associative genres. Which SCANDAL isn't unless they is what they're heading for. And having seen Tricot's logo, that suits Tricot. Well to me it does, because they do maths rock, which doesn't have a 'thick' sound hence having thinner lettering and more abstract sound and abstract logo. However with SCANDAL's new and current logo, I can't work out what they're going for.

SCANDAL Haruna .happy. SCANDAL Mami Nice one SCANDAL Tomomi  .lol.  SCANDAL Rina .uhuh. SCANDAL
SCANDAL brightens my everyday

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 2 Hhxqn11
Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:39 am

victor_survive

victor_survive

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
New logo is embarrassing
It looks like a lazy designer made it!
I hope the girls didn't design it!

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:57 am

Scandalsuki

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I just ordered a shirt and stickers of the new logo. For the shirt I made the lines thicker as that looks better to me. Here is a preview:

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 2 WqCt8OY

Not visible here but one arm will have the letter "S" and the other the letter "4".

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:31 am

M

M

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I was also quite shocked with the sudden logo change. I was not aware of logo-changing phase in every band. I always thought they stick to one logo for eternity.
I think the design's like that so it would be easy to draw anywhere and anyone could do it, and also (as it resembles LP and other western artists' logos) I think the aim for this logo is for international fans. They must've thought "hey, looks at LP's logo, and FF's logo and etc. etc." They might be thinking we'd positively accept this because our eyes are already warmed up to it from other western bands.

@scandalsuki I would like it in B&W or B&Red xD Is it glow in the dark? Nice shirt.

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:47 am

GeoFreak

GeoFreak

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I don't like it at all. The C is too big and obscures the S, which is so heavily stylized that it barely looks like an S. When viewed on its own, it looks like a power button or something (see T-shirt above). The font used for the wordmark is a bit of a mess; the serifs are distractingly huge to me. And most importantly, it doesn't embody anything distinctive about SCANDAL.

The crowned S was great because it was strong with its bold lettering, yet elegant and somewhat feminine with the crown and floral patterns. That's SCANDAL: the most powerful Japanese girlie pop rock. Yes, that's their old Engrishy catchphrase from back when they wore school uniforms, but I still think it captures their essence very well in just a few words.

I almost fear that they're trying too hard to appeal to an international audience. It seems like they saw some of these other western bands with sleek, geometric logos and wanted something like that so that fans of those bands might notice SCANDAL as well. And while I like Stamp!, it definitely falls into the category of emulating western rock. I hope they realize that many of us like SCANDAL and other Japanese artists because they're different from the popular music in our respective countries. (Note that when I say "they" here, I don't necessarily mean the members, but possibly their management.)

The best case scenario for me would be if this logo is just a temporary change for the release of Stamp! But I can't see that happening, because changing the logo back would be like admitting to having made a big mistake. It worked for Gap, though.

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 2 2_crop10
Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:37 am

dubbi

dubbi

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
I don't like the new logo . Why do they change  it. The old logo grows up  with the success of the band.
The logo is their visual identity . Bands like  ACDC , Queen , Iron Maiden don't change their logos because the fans won't like it to.  The new logo  looks to me like an logo  used for an  techno or hip-hop groop . Please SCANDAL don't change it.

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:24 pm

Uldred

Uldred

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
To be honest, this new logo sucks, it looks like something I could make in paint in 2 minutes.

What I want to know is why they changed it? The old one was great and iconic to me...

Maybe they renegotiated their contracts and Sony made them change the logo. Hopefully this doesn't mean there are bigger changes coming Sad

I'd be so sad if one of the members left

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:35 pm

reilachii

reilachii

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://reilachii.tumblr.com
^ well that's overreacting! (about the last sentence) 
logo changes don't mean they changed something on their contract, but just with their management in term of visual and merchandise. 
new western logo = new western look to the band that previously logo couldn't give

for liking it I'm staring to create some theory on why they made it that way XD it's just look so plain and simple... That S in the C kind look like a strange 4 to me now

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:41 pm

Uldred

Uldred

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I just can't see why they'd change it... It doesn't look more "western" it just looks worse.

To me it's like they're saying "we aren't the same band anymore" which has me worried...

I wonder if it could also have been something like a copyright issue from a few years ago and they were forced to change it

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:24 pm

ZiaBern

ZiaBern

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I don't like it ,but who cares? it's only a logo .chesttap. .chesttap.

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 2 KxZdqcW
Arigatou to this lovely bossu

25 April 2015 / Le Bataclan   (I was Theereee LOVE)

18 September 2016 / Elyon  (SCANDAL in my house)
Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:58 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
Scandalsuki wrote:I just ordered a shirt and stickers of the new logo. For the shirt I made the lines thicker as that looks better to me. Here is a preview:

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 2 WqCt8OY

I think you might want to rethink that a bit... without the "Scandal" underneath, it's uncomfortably close to something else from history that I'm not even sure I'm allowed to link to here. But I think a lot of people would recognize it. (Honestly this is a failing of the logo itself, but I didn't notice it until the "Scandal" was removed.)

As for the logo itself, old one was better. It was strong, it was unique. I don't understand why they even changed it at all, much less to something that looks both weaker and derivative. Most rock bands have had the same logo for the entire history of their careers, some of which have spanned decades.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum