Go down

SCANDAL's New Logo! [Page 3 of 4]

Re: SCANDAL's New Logo!
Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:27 pm

PPPeter

PPPeter

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
As I do not care about appearances to much - new logo is of not great importance for me Wink
But - if this goes with some change of music style... Hmmm. If for more rockish and thicker sound - I am all for it.
Guess we will have to wait and see by ourselves what future holds Wink

PS. Yes - old logos had a little more ornamental feeling in them, maybe a little more unique for us - but was it so unique in Japan? Anybody knows?

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:19 pm

saldiven

saldiven

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
ZiaBern wrote:I don't like it ,but who cares? it's only a logo .chesttap. .chesttap.

I kind of have to agree with this. I mean, I didn't start listening to Scandal (or continue listening to them) because of their logo. In fact, the only band logo that I can think of off the top of my head right now is the big, puckered lips from The Rolling Stones.

I'm also confident that the change in logo won't cause any of the fans of Scandal's music to suddenly not like the music anymore.

spacecadet wrote:
Scandalsuki wrote:I just ordered a shirt and stickers of the new logo. For the shirt I made the lines thicker as that looks better to me. Here is a preview:

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 WqCt8OY

I think you might want to rethink that a bit... without the "Scandal" underneath, it's uncomfortably close to something else from history that I'm not even sure I'm allowed to link to here. But I think a lot of people would recognize it. (Honestly this is a failing of the logo itself, but I didn't notice it until the "Scandal" was removed.)

As for the logo itself, old one was better. It was strong, it was unique. I don't understand why they even changed it at all, much less to something that looks both weaker and derivative. Most rock bands have had the same logo for the entire history of their careers, some of which have spanned decades.

For those who are historically challenged, the "S" in the logo looks uncomfortably close to one of the two "S" marks in the Nazi German "SS" unit's twin lighting bolt collar insignia from WWII.

Last edited by thoseguiltyeyes on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Merged double posts. Please edit your first post if you wish to add more.)

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:02 pm

Uldred

Uldred

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I know this is kind of nitpicking now but... now that they changed the logo my collection is going to look weird :/

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:22 pm

PPPeter

PPPeter

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
@Uldred

Not weird - but CLASSY Wink
You will be able to say - "Well, Youngsters, in my youth, when Scandal logo was rich and bourgeois..." Wink

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:49 pm

Scandalsuki

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
spacecadet wrote:I think you might want to rethink that a bit... without the "Scandal" underneath, it's uncomfortably close to something else from history that I'm not even sure I'm allowed to link to here. But I think a lot of people would recognize it. (Honestly this is a failing of the logo itself, but I didn't notice it until the "Scandal" was removed.)

I had that thought as well and thought I was overthinking it but if you guys notice it as well I think I'll send it back to be safe.

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:53 pm

reilachii

reilachii

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://reilachii.tumblr.com
to everyone seeing nazi symbol in that S, it also looks like harry potter's tattoo so it's not a big deal what looks like what else

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Untitl10

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:15 pm

Lale

Lale

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
reilachii wrote:to everyone seeing nazi symbol in that S, it also looks like harry potter's tattoo so it's not a big deal what looks like what else

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Untitl10

I laughed way too hard at this.

The logo does come with great consequences as you guys are probably forgetting that this new logo will be included in all the merchandise that SCANDAL will sell from now on.

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Slide-13
Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:28 pm

reilachii

reilachii

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://reilachii.tumblr.com
whoops terrible choice of word. it's a scar LMAO

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:48 pm

tonymiller

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
Well knowing Haruna is a huge Potterhead I would not be surprised if Harry Potter's scar does have something to do with it Happy

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Sig_sc10
Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:51 pm

Mentolo

Mentolo

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Noodles wrote:The logo does come with great consequences as you guys are probably forgetting that this new logo will be included in all the merchandise that SCANDAL will sell from now on.
Well, it's not like it was used that much recently.
I don't recall a single merch item from the previous tour or cd the had the old logo on it.

Anyway...I'm still waiting for a blog post or something, I hope they don't just change it without say anything.

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:21 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
reilachii wrote:to everyone seeing nazi symbol in that S, it also looks like harry potter's tattoo so it's not a big deal what looks like what else

The key is the "C" that looks like the circle. And yes, it is a big deal what looks like what else. If they use this logo without the "Scandal" underneath, I guarantee they're going to get called out on it. I didn't actually say what I thought it looked like but someone else got it, so it's obviously not just me.

PPPeter wrote:PS. Yes - old logos had a little more ornamental feeling in them, maybe a little more unique for us - but was it so unique in Japan? Anybody knows?

They've had at least three logos now. The original one was ornamental, almost an old English style. The last one, the one before this, was basically just a word mark. It was the typeface that defined it, much the same as the typeface defines this one, but the previous one didn't have a stylized "SC" to go with it. Instead it had an optional stylized "S" to go along with the word mark, but they didn't usually use it. (None of the official Scandal merchandise I own has it; it all just says "SCANDAL" with their typeface.)

Presumably they will be doing the same with this logo, but the typeface is much weaker.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:53 am

danlexia

danlexia

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://scandalinthehouse.tumblr.com/
I wanted to share something I wrote for my blog. As you can see, I have nothing better to do.

I’ve been trying to figure out exactly what the new logo is lacking. The issue is not simplicity, there can be simple logos that work extremely well, but I don’t think this logo represents SCANDAL at all. Maybe what bothers me the most is the typeface, so I’ve been playing around with some sans serif fonts that I think suit the logo better:
logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Tumblr_inline_nqhfymZBHG1rrphq6_540

While a different typeface works better, I still think the icon is lacking power. It is forgettable and it reminds people about an incredible amount of other things, which is something alarming.

If they wanted to make something simple, I believe they could have just made a simpler version of their current logo, and not make such a drastic change in their style. I imagined something like this:
logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Tumblr_inline_nqhg5gjqPo1rrphq6_540
logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Tumblr_inline_nqhg6jf3Oj1rrphq6_540

I still think the change was too drastic, I wouldn’t mind if the logo was cool, but it is just something anyone with five minutes and paint could do. I still can’t imagine any designer getting paid for making that. If one of the members did it, well, I would understand it because they are not designers, but still… MAMI has drawn better things that could easily be used as a logo. I’m still waiting for a better explanation, if they are going to give one.

I always thought that this would be their new logo:
logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Tumblr_ne0bvy7EDF1qe6juqo2_1280

And to be honest, it would have worked so much better. They always just use their name anyway, and it is cool, simple, and represents SCANDAL.

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Sca_he10

5.20 SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015 「HELLO WORLD」- El Plaza Condesa, Mexico City 4.27 / 4.28 SCANDAL TOUR 2018「HONEY」- Orix Theater, Osaka 5.11 / 5.12 SCANDAL TOUR 2018「HONEY」- Nakano Sun Plaza, Tokyo 9.14 SCANDAL US & MEXICO TOUR 2018「SPECIAL THANKS」- El Plaza Condesa, Mexico City TBA SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2020 「Kiss from the darkness」- YOYO Palais de Tokyo, Paris TBA SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2020 「Kiss from the darkness」- O2 Academy Islington, London
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:14 am

flyingwill

flyingwill

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://rateyourmusic.com/~flyingwill
Words cannot even begin to express how I don't care about this new logo thing. I didn't even realize they had another logo until very recently, so to be honest I don't understand what the fuss is all about. I guess people are tired of waiting for new music so they focus on something else that's not very important in the end.

As long as they keep making good music, the rest is trifle.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:35 am

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
flyingwill wrote:I guess people are tired of waiting for new music so they focus on something else that's not very important in the end.

That's definitely not it. Even if you don't think a logo is important, other people think that a band's logo really should be something that fits what a band is like--in other words, it should be an accurate representation of who they are and/or their music, and many people in this thread have said that they feel that this new logo does not represent SCANDAL in any way in the least. That's one of the main reasons why most people here do not like it and have stated their disapproval.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time RINA posts a new blog I've been hoping that an explanation for the new logo will come, but it still hasn't and seems less likely with each day that passes...

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:48 am

flyingwill

flyingwill

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://rateyourmusic.com/~flyingwill
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

Well it's a new logo so I don't think it should necessarily represent the band as a whole, but rather what they are now and are intending to become in the future. I think they've stated enough that Hello World marked the beginning of a new era for the band, one where they are gaining much more control on their music, so it's the perfect timing to shake things up a little.

Whether the result is working or not is up to anyone's opinion, and I personally think it really isn't that big of a deal, but of course you all have the perfect right to be outraged and disappointed. I'll be when they start releasing bad music, because that's the number one reason why I love them.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:04 pm

MamiXHaruna

MamiXHaruna

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I'm one of those that doesn't LIKE it at all. The old one is easily my favorite band Logo. This new one is just too simple and bland..

But overall, It will not affect my LOVE for them.. I will probably just use their old logo for the banners and other arts that I will make in the future.

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Meme_111
No cookies are safe from Tomo! I better guard mine! .hmmm. 
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:58 pm

metalleo

metalleo

International Performer
International Performer
http://www.leojhphoto.com/
One of my friends (not a fan) pointed out that their new logo exactly like the logo of one of the political parties in Singapore, and unfortunately I got to agree with him, though I wouldn't have noticed if he never mentioned it

Pictures for a side by side comparison. The similarity is scary, it's almost like SCANDAL ripped their logo off from them LOL.
logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 1024px-People's_Action_Party_of_Singapore_logo.svglogo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 XWpMsrp

Another indication of how simple and generic it looks i guess.

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 2d0ylnt
Asia Tour 2013 (Singapore) - 16/03/13
HELLO WORLD (Singapore) - 08/05/15
PERFECT WORLD (Budokan) - 12/01/16, 13/01/16
YELLOW (Singapore) - 04/06/16
10TH ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL (Osaka Izumiotsu Phoenix) - 21/08/16

Discovery of SCANDAL - 22/07/11
First SCANDAL Concert - 16/03/13
First Banner Chosen and Displayed On SH - 29/04/14
First SCANDAL Concert in Japan - 12/01/16
First Time to Photograph SCANDAL at a Concert - 04/06/16
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:33 pm

Metal Mickey

Metal Mickey

International Performer
International Performer
I just come up with an idea that instead of a simplified logo for the band, it will be interesting to have 4 separate logos/symbols to represent each member (like Led Zeppelin).
I would like to hear what do Mr.Tony Miller and Spacecadet think about it?

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:02 pm

tonymiller

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
An interesting idea but I was quite happy with their old logo  Sad

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Sig_sc10
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:29 am

danlexia

danlexia

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://scandalinthehouse.tumblr.com/
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

Well, maybe as a designer I see things differently, but a logo is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.
The logo is the graphical representation of the band's identity. It is like the face of the band. It is used for easy recognition, even without words. Think about the apple in Apple's logo, it is so iconic that you don't even need words to recognize it. Fans were already familiarized with the old logo, so when you saw it it was like, oh, that's SCANDAL, I love SCANDAL! With the new logo it's like, what is it? Is it Flash? Harry Potter? A political party? I have no idea... Oh, it says SCANDAL, so it's them.
I don't think the problem is that they changed to a new simpler logo, the problem is that it is so similar to many other things that it doesn't represent the band's identity.

On a side note, I have to say that I became interested in the band because of their visuals, I was browsing through a website that had many japanese albums, and SCANDAL's albums just popped, they were so cool that I had to listen to their music, and now we are here.
Will I stop loving SCANDAL because of an ugly logo, of course not! But the visuals can help attracting new fans and make old fans more attached to the band, so the logo is still important. It is the identity of the band. It should reflect their style and music. For me SCANDAL is the best band in the world, so I think they deserve the best logo in the world.

At this point, I don't think they are giving any explanations of the logo change, 
so we just have to get used to it.

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Sca_he10

5.20 SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015 「HELLO WORLD」- El Plaza Condesa, Mexico City 4.27 / 4.28 SCANDAL TOUR 2018「HONEY」- Orix Theater, Osaka 5.11 / 5.12 SCANDAL TOUR 2018「HONEY」- Nakano Sun Plaza, Tokyo 9.14 SCANDAL US & MEXICO TOUR 2018「SPECIAL THANKS」- El Plaza Condesa, Mexico City TBA SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2020 「Kiss from the darkness」- YOYO Palais de Tokyo, Paris TBA SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2020 「Kiss from the darkness」- O2 Academy Islington, London
Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:12 am

pkqisgood

pkqisgood

Caless Student
Caless Student
This is more simple and modern especially easier to draw
But I like the old one more because when i saw the logo and i will know that is SCANDAL

the different between two logo
logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 10277311
https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/19/22/33/03/10277310.jpg

Last edited by Lexian on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : If you have more to add to your post, please use the Edit button. Thanks!)

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 <a href=logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Tumblr10" />
Life is Beautiful so enjoy it >c<
Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:38 am

Lale

Lale

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Mentolo wrote:
Noodles wrote:The logo does come with great consequences as you guys are probably forgetting that this new logo will be included in all the merchandise that SCANDAL will sell from now on.
Well, it's not like it was used that much recently.
I don't recall a single merch item from the previous tour or cd the had the old logo on it.

Anyway...I'm still waiting for a blog post or something, I hope they don't just change it without say anything.

Things I own with the previous logo:

HARUKA single cd (2 versions)
Pride single cd (1 version)
Queens are trumps album (1 version)
SCANDAL alarm clock (1)

These are just the ones off the top of my head that have the logo on it, and they display it on the front/cover. It goes without saying that the logo of the band will be used for merch, it is supposed to be, afterall, the symbol of the band.

logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 Slide-13
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:25 pm

Scandalsuki

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
The shirt went back today, it had a faulty print anyway.

I put one of the stickers on my car. I put it on at a wrong angle so that it does not resemble the other logo anymore while still being recognizeable as the new Scandal logo. What do you think, could someone still mistake it for something else?
logo - SCANDAL's New Logo! - Page 3 CYDXMBQ

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:42 am

Gintoki

Gintoki

Caless Student
Caless Student
Reminds me of the Flash logo.
Anyway, i don't like this new logo at all. Too generic, and too western, in other words, very bad logo.
The old one was perfect, that logo showed the band's identity and image, and gave the band a unique feel and recognition.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:52 am

SoulSnatcher911

SoulSnatcher911

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I don't like, that's it!! Happy

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum: