Go down

Re: CASSETTE STORE DAY JAPAN 2018
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:19 pm

hohenheim

hohenheim

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Yeah, in Brazil we say "Walkman" too. 

That's a little pricey. I hope it's not something that will sell out completely in a few days, otherwise I'll have to give it a pass.

I wonder if they'll rerelease any of their albums as cassettes? Seems natural considering they're making their own player.

CASSETTE STORE DAY JAPAN 2018 - Page 2 724CASSETTE STORE DAY JAPAN 2018 - Page 2 549CASSETTE STORE DAY JAPAN 2018 - Page 2 743CASSETTE STORE DAY JAPAN 2018 - Page 2 745CASSETTE STORE DAY JAPAN 2018 - Page 2 778CASSETTE STORE DAY JAPAN 2018 - Page 2 763
CASSETTE STORE DAY JAPAN 2018 - Page 2 LNQg4V3
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Star~world96®

Star~world96®

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I would mostly prefer a Scandal portable cd player than a cassette player, mostly because I'm more familiar with them growing up than the latter. .whistle.And I can listen to the Cd's on the go, even though I'll be getting weird looks lol

But their player does look retro and Tomomi does look good in yellow

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:34 pm

Don Dio

Don Dio

International Performer
International Performer
I don't know why this didn't come to mind last night while reading this post, but once again Scandal reminds me of classic KISS.  I now remember watching TV in the 70's and there would be commercials for a KISS tape recorder, and KISS transistor radio.  They were probably a piece of junk (I never got one), but it seemed so cool that the band's name, logo and image were all over these devices.  Scandal is bringing back that vibe to a new era.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:53 pm

hohenheim

hohenheim

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Star~world96®️ wrote:I would mostly prefer a Scandal portable cd player than a cassette player, mostly because I'm more familiar with them growing up than the latter. .whistle.And I can listen to the Cd's on the go, even though I'll be getting weird looks lol

But their player does look retro and Tomomi does look good in yellow
Yeah, a CD player would be way more useful, especially considering you can actually buy CDs lol. I'd buy one way happier than I'd buy a cassette player.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:05 am

Haruna's Ears

Haruna's Ears

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Would've been neat if you could slip a micro-sd card or something into em. Guess that'd push the price point up, though.

CASSETTE STORE DAY JAPAN 2018 - Page 2 2foml0
Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:09 am

Uldred

Uldred

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
tonymiller wrote:@3mania

Wow, I must have bought cheap ones then Happy

Nah, they do wear out over time. Aside from the actual tape brand used, the quality of the player is really the main determining factor in how long the tape will last (also how good it sounds!). A good deck that's maintained will keep your tapes sounding great for a long time while a crappy deck or handheld player will wear it out quickly and damage the tape.

The frequency response isn't as good on tapes as on CDs though so in terms pure sound quality a CD would beat it hands down, but I'm sure if you had a good deck and a good tape it would sound a lot better than you remember. The hiss is just part of the experience like the pops on vinyl Wink

The thing I love about cassettes is that you're almost forced to listen to the whole album through since fast forwarding and rewinding is a hassle, so a well crafted album will make you want to listen to it over and over, and these days you can always get the songs digitally too if you don't want to listen on tape all the time.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:19 am

tonymiller

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
@Uldred

Yes finding the track you want is much harder on a cassette than a CD, especially if you are driving Happy

But with a cassette you could put all your favourite tracks on it and make your own album.

CASSETTE STORE DAY JAPAN 2018 - Page 2 Sig_sc10
Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:00 pm

hohenheim

hohenheim

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
tonymiller wrote:But with a cassette you could put all your favourite tracks on it and make your own album.
Yeah but you can do that with CDs too... I remember burning a CD with my favorite songs when I was like, 15 or something, and my mom skipping every song during a family trip hahaha

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:55 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
I don't think the player looks retro. Retro players look like this:

CASSETTE STORE DAY JAPAN 2018 - Page 2 Walkma10

Or this:

CASSETTE STORE DAY JAPAN 2018 - Page 2 Hs-j4010

They're a lot more angular. The rounded and bulbous look is more modern/cheap. All the players of the 80's had straight lines and jagged edges, and the more buttons, the better.

The Scandal player looks like it's probably something that's offered specifically by the OEM to be customized like this - this looks like it may be the exact same player: https://blahrecords.com/products/blah-usb-cassette-walkman

I think that's also the same one that was posted earlier from the Amazon link. It seems to be just a cheap generic player that can be customized by anyone.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:02 pm

wildthing

wildthing

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Scandal did a live radio recording that will be broadcast on Monday, Oct 15th 9~
J-wave "STEP ONE" at HMV records shop Shibuya

https://www.j-wave.co.jp/original/stepone/

We had a small crowd, as Scandal announced the event a week or two ago.

There was a small crowd of about 12 people before the shop opened at 11am, before the event entry started only 13 Scandal cassette players were sold. Small turn out, also there was a bit of confusion, as initially they were going to sell out 30 players and then give out free event participation tickets, in the end fans just walked in to the event space later, I think we probably had about 30 odd people attend.

Will wait for the program to air before I give anything away, we did record a tape with Scandal Happy
We ended up standing so close I helped one of the Scandal members find and push the eject button Happy
When the MC came on he also joked how close we were I gave him a Hi5, the event lasted for just over an hour.

Note on cassette player, the green plastic is a bit transparent, so the glue they used appear highly visible on some of the players they made, I ended exchanging mine for a better looking one.

Cassette player model is VSIPCP-001R https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0793PSCD1
(Useful if spare parts needed.)

Last edited by wildthing on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:16 pm

izzy

izzy

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Give us a clue, the Scandal member that you helped has short or long hair !? .common.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:20 pm

Metal Mickey

Metal Mickey

International Performer
International Performer
izzy wrote:Give us a clue, the Scandal member that you helped has short or long hair !? .common.
Maybe he mentioned somewhere else already.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:25 pm

joameba

joameba

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
izzy wrote:Give us a clue, the Scandal member that you helped has short or long hair !? .common.
You have to follow him on every social media to found out  CASSETTE STORE DAY JAPAN 2018 - Page 2 1f606 
I'm curious on the content of the tape, is something anyone could understand (like a song?) or like a radio program? Four days until the mystery is solved  .boom.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:27 am

cantacanta

Caless Student
Caless Student
wildthing wrote:Scandal did a live radio recording that will be broadcast on Monday, Oct 15th 9~
J-wave "STEP ONE" at HMV records shop Shibuya

We had a small crowd, as Scandal announced the event a week or two ago.

There was a small crowd of about 12 people before the shop opened at 11am, before the event entry started only 13 Scandal cassette players were sold. Small turn out, also there was a bit of confusion, as initially they were going to sell out 30 players and then give out free event participation tickets, in the end fans just walked in to the event space later, I think we probably had about 30 odd people attend.

Will wait for the program to air before I give anything away, we did record a tape with Scandal Happy
We ended up standing so close I helped one of the Scandal members find and push the eject button Happy

Note on cassette player, the green plastic is a bit transparent, so the glue they used appear highly visible on some of the players they made, I ended exchanging mine for a better looking one.

Cassette player model is VSIPCP-001R https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0793PSCD1
(Useful if spare parts needed.)

Were all 30 players sold?

Last edited by cantacanta on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:14 am

wildthing

wildthing

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
No there were still about 5 players and 4 display mode when we left HMV. I was hanging around to get hold of one of the senior Team Scandal staff to clarify the US VIP gift.

As for which member find out on Monday hehehe

As you guys were wondering I spoke to a few staff that recognize me, I didn’t bother the CEO as he was busy. Junior staff asked me to email them, so I thought better to speak to the senior staff instead.

Noticed on instagram the cassette day organisers were already discounting a non branded player and tape bundle for ¥2500, might make the Scandal version a hard sell at the participating stores.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:04 am

izzy

izzy

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Ahah I found the member you helped ... now I'm jealous!  Nice one

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:12 am

wildthing

wildthing

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
The on air program will be from 12:30-13:00
(The event was about an hour, so expect some editing)

▼12:30〜『MUSIC +1』
輝く女性にフォーカス!
先日HMV&BOOKS SHIBUYAで
SCANDALを迎えておこなった収録の模様をお届け!

Bit of a shame the radio segment was so short, so we were left with the main interview.
On twitter there is a video of Scandal and the fans recording a cassette tape for Mami's grandma birthday.

https://twitter.com/stepone813/status/1051645401877504000

The members selected a cassette tape track each and talked much more.

Member - Artist/Band - Album - Track selected.

Haruna - Bangles - Different Light - In a Different Light
Mami - Madonna - Like a Virgin - Virgin
Tomomi - The Beatles - Help! - Help!
Rina - Blur - Blur - Number 2

Haruna has watched 13 Reasons Why on Netflix, whilst whilst on the subject about cassette tapes during the interview.

Will update this comment when I have a bit of time later.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum