Go down

Question about vocal assignments
Posted Fri May 29, 2015 1:02 pm

flyingwill

flyingwill

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://rateyourmusic.com/~flyingwill
I was wondering if there was an interview where they explained how they decide who's gonna handle the vocals on one song?

Obviously I'm not talking about the solo songs on Hello World, but from a larger perspective. I tried to figure out if that had something to do with who wrote the lyrics, but couldn't find a satisfactory trend.

So how do you think they decide if Haruna's gonna do the main vocals, or if it'll be 50/50 Haruna and Tomomi, or if Mami will take the spot, etc?

Just curious.

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about vocal assignments
Posted Fri May 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Star~world96®

Star~world96®

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I read it an interview once, or was it a documentary? but I know I've seen it before. 
But they said it's mostly based on how which part of the song goes with each member. Like how the song would sound if Tomomi sang this part or if Haruna,  or if this part is good for Mami or Haru to sing.  It's also about the song itself, based on the mood or tone of the song , the decide who will get to sing the most or the least. That's what's so good about Scandal songs because they take advantage of vocals provided by the members.
  For example most all Haruna songs are serious, deep, slow, heavier, rockier, dark or mature: Burn, Weather Report, Emotion,  Awanai,  while most Tomomi songs, are cheery, poppy, romantic, sad, light hearted, upbeat,  :houkago 1H, bitter Chocolate, Nai nai night, kill the virgin, Very special ( Tomomi doesnt have that many solo songs, so ive named songs she mostly sanged in) And if it's a Haru /Timo song, it's a bit of both characteristics, just to add some contrast. 
As for if the lyricist sings the song, ehh not really...kinda. .whistle.   Sometimes the songs where the members have no credit in: Koe, Nanka buttobase,  Right Here,  24 jikan plus no yoake Mae, and cover songs. haves to rely on the tone / lyric view of the song to choose a vocalist. Sometimes the lyricist,  whether the member, choose or say they like so and so to sing the song /part. So you see it's mostly about tone, mood, and style to choose who sings what in a song. If not they go through the song to see which part would fit best for what member. 

I hope this answers your question and that you understand what I'm trying to get at. There is either a documentary or an interview that talked about how  they decide the vocalist. Sorry if I can't tell you which one it was, but it was around 2010-2011 ish where it came out. .hmmm.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 29, 2015 11:21 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
Think I've read/seen that same interview but don't remember where either. But one thing I'd add is that there's no doubt some behind the scenes stuff that happens too. In the Baby Action and QAT era, Tomomi sang a whole lot more than she had prior to that, and I can only guess it's because of Haruna's vocal issues at that time and the producers trying to give her a little bit of rest. (They play all the songs from each new album on the album tour, so that would help her live as well.) I didn't know about that when Baby Action was released so I remember actually complaining in a review about how little vocal time the "vocalist" of the band was getting. Recently she's been singing almost all the time again, except in their "solo" songs of course.

Tomomi's got a higher natural range than Haruna so it's probably not *just* the overall feel of the song that dictates who sings what.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:31 am

flyingwill

flyingwill

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://rateyourmusic.com/~flyingwill
Thanks for the insight  .please.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: