Posted Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:03 am

Boobash

Caless Student
Caless Student
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

Hello everyone!

New member here, first discovered SCANDAL during their Japan Nite US Tour in 2008 in Seattle, WA. I was a college student at the University of Washington back then and remembered being blown away by their set and stage presence. They were the opening band at the event and the venue was unfortunately a 21+ club called the High Dive and I remember seeing the bouncer/security guard being agitated and talking to their tour manager or something about how they can’t be at the venue because they were under age. 

So they were eventually allowed to play their set but were swiftly kicked out of the club right after they were done playing and I was bummed out cause I really wanted to say hi or tell them how awesome their set was or even get a picture with them or autographs but nope it was impossible.

Then surprise! They came backs few months later to play for Sakura Con and I got to see them play again and also attend their meet and greet and got my pic with them and cd signed! Yeah! 😬

Fast forward 15 years! Found out they were touring to promote their new album, Mirror, and was all pumped up to see some old friends jamming again! Then show I was planning on attending (Anaheim House of Blues) got cancelled!

Since finding out about their new album, I’ve been binging on all things SCANDAL. Catching up on all their new songs, HER Diaries, interviews, concerts/performances, etc. And that’s how it stumbled here.

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello!
Posted Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:43 am

Andy666

Andy666

International Performer
International Performer
Hi Boobash and welcome to SH. Sorry you could not see them last year, still at least you saw them when their career was kicking off. I being a Scandal fan for a few year so last September was first time going to see them.

Dave Grohl had same problem when started out as drummer, he was underage for many of the gigs he went to.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:08 am

harurob

harurob

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Welcome to the forum Boobash!

That's a good story, good memories, you're lucky to have seen their beginnings. It would be nice to have the chance to see a fully matured band now, I'm sure you'll get another opportunity.

I got curious about your perception of the band after all these years.

SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2020 “Kiss from the darkness” Livestream [2020.08.21]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 

SCANDAL 『SEASONS』 collaborated with NAKED Livestream [2020.12.24]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 

SCANDAL 15th ANNIVERSARY LIVE 『INVITATION』 at Osaka-Jo Hall Livestream [2021.08.21]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 

SCANDAL live at ANIME FRIENDS AF20 “Live in Brazil” at Distrito Anhembi, São Paulo [2023.07.16]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 
Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:55 am

tonymiller

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
Hi Boobash and welcome to SH Happy

I am an English fan who was lucky enough to know them from the beginning and I did get to see them in London and yes they are even more awesome live.

I am glad they are not that strict about age in the UK, I was playing bass guitar in Pubs when I was 15 but I was not allowed to buy alcohol, although some of the fans would buy a drink for me Happy

Hope you have fun here

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:56 am

Boobash

Caless Student
Caless Student
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

Andy666 wrote:Dave Grohl had same problem when started out as drummer, he was underage for many of the gigs he went to.

That's an interesting parallel! Was that when he was in Nirvana or even before that time? I wonder he propably was still able to "blend in" even though under age better than SCANDAL hahaha. I mean SCANDAL beside being blessed with the Japanese genes and looking younger than their age really did stood out as underage kids and "out of place" at the bar. I mean I think they were like 15-16 back then??

Another observation I had is I was happy they didn't get stuck with like the Bandol (Band Idol) image like ZONE. I mean I love ZONE but I felt like their label didn't let them develop fully as musicians but treated them as more of a regular jpop idol group that happen to also play instruments. Like how their instruments were just props and they would dance with it and fake play. I think some early SCANDAL PV were like that too.

So seeing them grow into a real proper band (I mean I think they always were), and seing them write/arrange/produce their own song was nice. They're not just a pretty face idol or puppet that plays song from a record label's image/songwriting team.

tonymiller wrote:Hi Boobash and welcome to SH Happy

I am an English fan who was lucky enough to know them from the beginning and I did get to see them in London and yes they are even more awesome live.

I am glad they are not that strict about age in the UK, I was playing bass guitar in Pubs when I was 15 but I was not allowed to buy alcohol, although some of the fans would buy a drink for me Happy

Hope you have fun here

Nice! What's the drinking age in the UK? 18? I grew up in Canada before moving to the US and remember in Canada drinking age was 18. I have an older sister and remember her buying me a Screwdriver (vodka orange juice) when I was 14-15. Ah memories. I think the times were simpler then.

harurob wrote:Welcome to the forum Boobash!

That's a good story, good memories, you're lucky to have seen their beginnings. It would be nice to have the chance to see a fully matured band now, I'm sure you'll get another opportunity.

Yeah for sure! I do feel very fortunate having seen them during their indie label/pre debut time. I followed them till around Shunkan Sentimental or what's that other song they did for Bleach? They got signed to Sony Label right? And was pretty proud of them for keeping it up. Then life moved on, graduated, work and family consumed all my time.

Yeah when I found out they were still together with new CD and touring I started catching up on what they've all been up to these. It's funny it's like as when you bump into an old classmate or childhood friend after 10 years and are like "hey! how are you? what have you been up to!"

I'm super proud of them when I found out they were still together and got their own record label, HER. And even more so when I read interviews or articles of them talking about their new label and how they felt they got more respect from everyone and how they could write and publisher whatever song they wanted and not have to get approval from some producer and record label forcing their concept and views on them. I loved learning more about each members and see how Rina is the main lyricist and Mami the beat maker? Or how mature and serious they sound and act when discussing their craft or the meaning and concept of each song in the diaries. 

I was actually shocked at seeing how they lost their baby fat. Especially Mami, I barely recognized her face at first cause it wasn't (in the nicest meaning) chubby/round. They all look so skinny now. Haruna too lost her baby face. I think Rina and Tomomi have change the least maybe face wise. I also can't believe they're in their 30's also. Which actually makes me feel old too since I'm like 10 years older than them.

Another shocker discover during catching up if finding about their rap subunit Dobondobonro?? I cracked up so much listening to Mami and Tomomi. I would love to hear one of their rap live at a concert! Have they ever performed live? Now I want to buy a red Adidas tracksuit and embroider "do" on a baseball cap and wear it to Halloween or something. (even though no one around me would get the reference)

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:26 am

Andy666

Andy666

International Performer
International Performer
Boobash wrote:
Andy666 wrote:Dave Grohl had same problem when started out as drummer, he was underage for many of the gigs he went to.

That's an interesting parallel! Was that when he was in Nirvana or even before that time? I wonder he propably was still able to "blend in" even though under age better than SCANDAL hahaha. I mean SCANDAL beside being blessed with the Japanese genes and looking younger than their age really did stood out as underage kids and "out of place" at the bar. I mean I think they were like 15-16 back then??

It was well before Nirvana, he joined Punk/Rock called Scream. Dave lied about his age(17) but own up, the band decided still to keep him.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:34 am

tonymiller

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
@Boobash

The alcohol rules are quite strange in the UK, you can drink alcohol at any age but you have to be 18 to buy it, although in the 60's ( yes I am old ) there were off licenses that would sell you alcohol as long as you were tall enough to get your money on the counter Happy

Someone aged 16 or 17 and accompanied by an adult, can drink (but not buy) beer, wine or cider with a meal at a licensed premises (except in Northern Ireland).

Oh and I found Scandal by sheer luck, way back in 2006 I was looking through my daughter's Anime News and I saw this picture of a real girl group, at first I thought they were a live action version of K-On Happy

Anyway a Japanese friend sent me a copy of their first single and I was hooked !

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:31 am

harurob

harurob

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I appreciate your thoughtful response Boobash.

Looking back on the Japan Nite tour, I'm pretty sure none of those bands exist anymore, SCANDAL is probably the lone survivor. They've done so much and are still going strong.

I wonder if they'll take another step beyond making their own music. Holding their own all-female rock festival? Producing for other groups? Taking new artists under their wings?

Rina says the band is heading into unknown territories. They have such a strong sense of professionalism that I believe they can do anything they want.

SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2020 “Kiss from the darkness” Livestream [2020.08.21]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 

SCANDAL 『SEASONS』 collaborated with NAKED Livestream [2020.12.24]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 

SCANDAL 15th ANNIVERSARY LIVE 『INVITATION』 at Osaka-Jo Hall Livestream [2021.08.21]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 

SCANDAL live at ANIME FRIENDS AF20 “Live in Brazil” at Distrito Anhembi, São Paulo [2023.07.16]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:25 pm

hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Hello, Boobash!
I'm a pretty new fan, but I can tell you for sure you'll find this place an absolute treasure trove of information. The way this band has grown over the years is just remarkable.
BTW, you might be able to find parts of that Sakura-Con show on YouTube.
See you 'round the forum!

Friendship. Effort. Victory.
Back to top Go down