Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I'm surprised that ROCKSMITH hasn't been mentioned here yet. Anyway for those who don't know, it is a rhythm game ala Rock Band\Guitar Hero but with one BIG difference; it uses an actual guitar as opposed to a guitar shaped controller and it will use the song's ACTUAL tabs instead of a button chart.
The highlights in short:-
- REAL guitar. No plastic controller. Plug in ANY old electric guitar into your XBOX360/PS3/PC and play! For people who don't have one, Ubisoft and Gibson have teamed up to put out a bundle which will include the game disc, the converter cable and an EPIPHONE LES PAUL JUNIOR! At 200 USD, I think it's pretty good value. And you can bring that guitar out to jamming sessions since you know, it's a good and proper guitar! A bass DLC will be available later so bassists out there can join in too.
- 50+ songs. For preorders, there are 2 free songs including....... FREEBIRD! But no metal though. Not yet.
- Dynamic difficulty. The game tracks what you are doing and will teach you the song according to your skills (or lack of ). Starting out from simple single notes on one string all the way to the song's FULL tab for both rhythm and lead parts. There is also a "Master" mode where the tab isn't shown on screen. It's just you, your band and the crowd. No tabs. I'm really liking this mode.
- Mini games. Using your guitar as a controller, kill zombies (teaches you chords), shoot ducks (fret positions), play baseball. There's also a platform type game called Scale Runner (which teaches you scales) and a Tetris clone. Each mini game will teach you speed, accuracy and skills that you can use in real guitar playing.
- Amp mode. This part here is AWESOME. Unlock effect pedals, amps and cabinets by mastering songs. Each pedal, amp and cab is customizable just like the real thing and you can create your own tone which you can play the game with later.
Personally, I'm stoked about this and I think it would be very, very useful for beginners and people who have NEVER played guitar. The mini games are especially useful because instead of doing boring scale/speed/chord changes practice by yourself, you can use the games as a teaching aid. Watch all the Rocksmith Youtube videos and see just how awesome this game will be.
I'm absolutely blown away and I WILL be ordering this once it becomes available for PC. Visit the links for info. It's coming out 18th October for XBOX360/PS3 and December-ish for PC.
And wouldn't it be STUPENDOUSLY awesome if SCANDAL were to provide their music for this!