Go down

Re: Digital Single - 「Fuzzy」
Posted Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:52 am

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
Star~world96® wrote:Well you can't please everyone lol Scandal finally sticking to a certain rock sound begged by fans for years and now no one cares about it.

I wouldn't say that... Their general direction over the past few albums has been great, and I've definitely said that here before. There's nothing wrong with the intent of this song, or the sound; the songwriting just isn't quite there for me. It's just missing something, and isn't as satisfying as most of their best songs for me.

I definitely would not say they need a change of direction or sound. I like what they're doing recently in general. But not every song is going to be equally good.

But as much as I like the song,  I do agree that Fuzzy isn't a stand out song and it's just Scandal playing it safe.

I think you probably feel the same way.

I'm not worried about the album that's hopefully coming. In a way I just want it more now, because I can't wait to hear the other songs on it. I still need my new Scandal fix.

Edit: I'm also kind of disappointed that it's just a digital single with one song. If it was a real single with a b-side and some extra stuff, I'd probably still buy it. But I'm not sure it's worth paying even a small amount for one song that's probably just going to be on the album.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:55 am

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
http://stomachofchaos.com
What it’s missing is a hook.

For those not in the know: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_(music)

IMHO.

front-page - Digital Single - 「Fuzzy」 - Page 2 SCANDALCOLLE-2020-SIG

~ CHECK OUT MY 「感謝祭」ŌSAKA 2018 VIDEO! 見てください!  ~

16-17/3/13 *SCAPE Warehouse | SIN • 29/1/15 たましんRISURUホール | 立川市、日本 • 31/1/15 ベイシア文化ホール | 前橋市、日本 • 26/4/15 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 12-13/1/16 日本武道館 | 東京、日本 • 10/9/16 Melkweg | AMS • 17/9/16 Szene | WIEN • 24/9/16 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 10/6/18 MacPherson Stadium | HK • 10-11/11/18 ZEPP Ōsaka Bayside | 大阪、日本
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:00 am

Metal Mickey

Metal Mickey

International Performer
International Performer
Take the muted guitar riff to the intro of Scandal Baby as an example.
I'll patiently wait for the forthcoming physical album release.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:43 pm

etwee

etwee

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
As often happens I don't get a new SC song until I've listened over a few days. Most of Honey wasn't like that probably because it was full of those good hooks. But sure enough a few days did the trick for me with this one. At first it was "eh?" but now It's "waa!"
That little essay from RINA is enlightening, thanx as usual TGE. The refrains "ah bitter, painful, love"... "ah, hot, ephemeral, beautiful" in Fuzzy recalls Natsuneiro, their summer song from ten years ago: where "so tender, sad, and bright" is repeated twice. RINA had a hand in writing that too. A very different song but a theme that's been there right along for RINA, for SCANDAL, and I guess for Japan at large.
I wondered if the date they released the video means anything.. August 6 being Hiroshima Day..
I agree with Joon about the video story though. A video like Mabataki would work better I think, a mood painting rather than a story...

Last edited by etwee on Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional thought)

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Tuba

Tuba

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Star~world96® wrote:But I really like this song, Rock on from the very beginning with the screeching guitars, to Haru's scream and the guitar feedback at the end. The instrumentation is really cool, the bass and guitars stand out here to me. And like with the last single, it gives me Honey vibes, it kinda reminds me of Platform Syndrome with some emo-ness from OVER. I think Scandal is establishing their signature sound now after the departure from SONY

The music video is cool, it started off with a 90's vibe, with the colors, clothes, and the props, but then the smartphone came up and the vibe was over lol. It is a bit more of a dark and emo style, especially that ending, and with the girls wearing black, punk goth like clothing. Which I realized they shot this when they did the 2nd promotional shoot a while back.

Mami confirms that they were going for something EMO: https://twitter.com/scandal_mami/status/1159321647876231169

曲も歌詞もMVもエモいです、是非☺
"music, lyrics and MV are all totally emo"

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:36 am

Star~world96®

Star~world96®

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
spacecadet wrote:
Star~world96® wrote:Well you can't please everyone lol Scandal finally sticking to a certain rock sound begged by fans for years and now no one cares about it.

I wouldn't say that... Their general direction over the past few albums has been great, and I've definitely said that here before. There's nothing wrong with the intent of this song, or the sound; the songwriting just isn't quite there for me. It's just missing something, and isn't as satisfying as most of their best songs for me.

I definitely would not say they need a change of direction or sound. I like what they're doing recently in general. But not every song is going to be equally good.

But as much as I like the song,  I do agree that Fuzzy isn't a stand out song and it's just Scandal playing it safe.

I think you probably feel the same way.

I'm not worried about the album that's hopefully coming. In a way I just want it more now, because I can't wait to hear the other songs on it. I still need my new Scandal fix.

Edit: I'm also kind of disappointed that it's just a digital single with one song. If it was a real single with a b-side and some extra stuff, I'd probably still buy it. But I'm not sure it's worth paying even a small amount for one song that's probably just going to be on the album.

Yeah, I understand. My favorite thing about Scandal is that they always going through phases and changes and like you said, I like what they're doing now, and also excited to hear the next release. 

As for the digital release thing, I think Scandal wanted to put out a summer single for the time being, I told to someone earlier but if the did treat this like a regular single, we would have waited 2 months after they would supposedly  announced it. They would have announced it early June, which will be odd since "Fuzzy Summer Mood" wasn't a support of any release, and they usually don't announce a new single mid tour, so that would be quite an awkward state. At least that's what I think. Like I said earlier, I think they just wanted to give us Summer song to keep us occupy until an album is release, which I hope will be before the end of this year.

Tuba wrote wrote:
Mami confirms that they were going for something EMO: https://twitter.com/scandal_mami/status/1159321647876231169

曲も歌詞もMVもエモいです、是非front-page - Digital Single - 「Fuzzy」 - Page 2 263a.png?v=2.2
"music, lyrics and MV are all totally emo"
Whoa I was on the ball! And Rina in her recent blog post said that Fuzzy is their most Emo song, so there you have it Scandal accomplished Emo Rock lol (tho this isn't their first emo song imo)

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:06 am

Sven28

Sven28

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
kudo_maharizu wrote:Not doing it for me. Need to move on from the Platform/Over/Masterpiece mindset.

Track 9 on their next album maybe, but not a single. 

Still love the band.

Loooove
I think "Fuzzy" sound too much like Honey like Masterpiece. I am not a big fan of Haruna's voice in Honey. But I am looking forward to a new album. I hope we get a Mami song^^.

front-page - Digital Single - 「Fuzzy」 - Page 2 RUlExeI
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:30 pm

Tuba

Tuba

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Gotta say, the song is growing on me. The chorus is really powerful

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:58 pm

TOMOmeow

TOMOmeow

International Performer
International Performer
https://instagram.com/thedapperrunner
I listened to Fuzzy a couple of times through Spotify and from their Red Bull Studio live performance. I love the song's all grit, no glam chord progression. However, there's nothing special in its lyrics. So, I ended up not buying it on iTunes.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:46 am

Star~world96®

Star~world96®

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

MamiNoodles wrote:I listened to Fuzzy a couple of times through Spotify and from their Red Bull Studio live performance. I love the song's all grit, no glam chord progression. However, there's nothing special in its lyrics. So, I ended up not buying it on iTunes.
If you haven't already, you should take a look at Rina's Uta-net Lyric Essay, to get a better understanding of history and inspiration for the song. Happy

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:51 am

victor_survive

victor_survive

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Guys , one question, why does fuzzy appear twice on iTunes? Is there a difference betweeen both ? If I try to buy the second one, it’ll work

front-page - Digital Single - 「Fuzzy」 - Page 2 1f724810

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:38 am

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

victor_survive wrote:Guys , one question, why does fuzzy appear twice on iTunes? Is there a difference betweeen both ? If I try to buy the second one, it’ll work

It isn't like that on any of the other iTunes Stores I've checked (US, Japan, UK, etc.); it's only like that for Mexico. So, I think it's just a listing error on the Mexico store's part.

The only discernable difference I see is the genres they're listed in: one is J-Pop, the other is Japan lol. Other than that, there are no differences in the song files. The previews sound exactly the same.

https://music.apple.com/mx/album/fuzzy-single/1473775601?l=en
https://music.apple.com/mx/album/fuzzy-single/1475472447?l=en

front-page - Digital Single - 「Fuzzy」 - Page 2 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:38 am

2many2no

2many2no

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

Amazon.com US has two listings for Fuzzy too.
I had to look several times to see the difference.
One is listed as a single, the other is an album with one song.
Same file, same song, same price, but for unknown reasons, two separate listings.
 front-page - Digital Single - 「Fuzzy」 - Page 2 1f62e

まつげの先が頬をかすめる距離で 目が合ったら
When our eyes meet at the distance my eyelashes graze your cheeks
Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:06 pm

victor_survive

victor_survive

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
That's weird. I bought both of them and yeah, they are the same. Not sure why they did that

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:01 pm

etwee

etwee

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
victor_survive wrote:That's weird. I bought both of them and yeah, they are the same. Not sure why they did that
Why—well you bought two of them didn't you?
Just joking...!

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:22 am

verax

verax

Caless Student
Caless Student
Hey guys. Does anybody know why Haruna said that FUZZY is very personal to them? Here's what she said on the recent interview:

"Out of  “Kiss from the Darkness”, there were released 4 singles: “「A.M.D.K.J.」”“Masterpiece” “Fuzzy” and “Saisyu Heiki Kimi”. Which one of these is your favorite, why and which was the challenging one to record?
That’s tough because I love all the songs and for different reasons! “Master Piece” is our very first single from “her” so it’s very special to me. “Saishu Heiki, Kimi” is super fun to perform on stage, and “A.M.D.K.J.” got a really positive response from our fans. And “Fuzzy” is a very personal story for us, so it’s also one of my favorites."

https://www.femmemetalwebzine.net/interviews/scandal-an-interview-with-haruna/

Gautigoth wrote:Another masterpiece from SCANDAL. I suppose it was written by MAMI/RINA who where described as a modern days Lennon/McCartney in Japanese Rolling Stone (or did I dream this)?

Anyway, MAMI seem to be underrated as a guitarist even among her own fans. She is often compared to guitarists that play a number of notes per second. But MAMI, like no other, puts emotions into her playing. That is why she is such a great musician.
I agree. For me, people who see guitar playing is not all about shredding are the most matured listeners. Like Hisako of Number Girl, PEDRO, she is a renowned guitarist  who is not about shredding.

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:56 am

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
verax wrote:Hey guys. Does anybody know why Haruna said that FUZZY is very personal to them?

"Fuzzy" is at least personal to RINA, being as she wrote the lyrics:

https://www.scandal-heaven.com/t14713-uta-net-rina-s-fuzzy-lyrics-essay#763770

Last edited by thoseguiltyeyes on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

front-page - Digital Single - 「Fuzzy」 - Page 2 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:21 am

Steadystate

Steadystate

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
verax wrote:Hey guys. Does anybody know why Haruna said that FUZZY is very personal to them? 

Yeah haha I was wondering that too!

In "her" magazine vol 2, they said the song had actually already been written at the time of Honey and they thought it would be great to play at lives, but their staff (I assume they're talking about Sony here) disagreed. So the song didn't even make it onto the album and Rina is quoted as saying "I was so annoyed!". But when they were on their own label, some people (again they didn't specify who) heard the song and liked it, so the band decided to not only put the song into KFTD but also made it a single with its own MV. So if I were to make a wild guess, the "personal" actually refers to their creative clashes with Sony.

Ngl, I don't think Fuzzy is a stand-out song. And based on the song's overall popularity, the Sony folks were probably right when they predicted it wasn't gonna be a hit.  front-page - Digital Single - 「Fuzzy」 - Page 2 1f605  But I guess Scandal has reached a point in their career where their own creative expression is more important to them than making money.

Last edited by Steadystate on Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:35 pm

etwee

etwee

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
The song is a bit choppy but when you read the lyrics, I think they're tops.
Even the song itself can come across surprisingly fresh in a live performance.
I never liked the MV at all.. like are we supposed to accept that this girl drowns herself in the tub because of a summer BF who turns out to be a jerk? gagg...

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:08 pm

verax

verax

Caless Student
Caless Student
etwee wrote:The song is a bit choppy but when you read the lyrics, I think they're tops.
I never liked the MV at all.. like are we supposed to accept that this girl drowns herself in the tub because of a summer BF who turns out to be a jerk? gagg...
Yeah haha. The ending was too sad and it's not a SCANDAL thing. The girl being drowned. 🙄

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:32 pm

Star~world96®

Star~world96®

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
verax wrote:
etwee wrote:The song is a bit choppy but when you read the lyrics, I think they're tops.
Yeah haha. The ending was too sad and it's not a SCANDAL thing. The girl being drowned. 🙄
Well it was never confirmed that the girl drowned herself, she could have just submerged herself in water to calm and cloud her mind of the outside world or her feelings. Similar to how people like to just submerged themselves in a pool, or cover their whole bodies in heavy blankets, it doesn't necessarily mean they are suffocating/drowning themselves. It just a means to shut out from the outside world.

Then again, with the emo tone and vibe of the song and video, it sure does seem like that what happened but we can't just outright say "she drowwwnned"  Thinking

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2024 SCANDAL HEAVEN.