thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (7 votes)

Fender's American Professional II Series - THE ONE. FOR ALL. featuring TOMOMI

Fender Japan - THE ONE. FOR ALL. featuring TOMOMI ETo6QPt

The latest series by Fender, "American Professional II," was announced in the fall of 2020. With the series concept "THE ONE. FOR ALL." = "For everyone who loves the guitar/bass," leading artists in Japan were asked about their history and their vision for the future. This time, bassist TOMOMI from the leading Japanese all-girl band SCANDAL makes an appearance. She talked about her roots, overseas activities, and how she's spent her time during the pandemic.

I want to take pride in us being an all-girl band.

―In 2020 the world was completely changed by COVID-19. How did affect SCANDAL's activities?

TOMOMI: We had planned to go on a world tour all year last year. However, COVID started spreading right around the time our tour was to start, and in the end we had to cancel/postpone all of the dates. Our schedule was then completely empty since we had almost no plans outside of the world tour. Although we did release a few things, we were basically at home the whole time.

―What was your state of mind like?

TOMOMI: Ever since the band formed we'd never had a year where we basically couldn't play any concerts, so I honestly felt depressed. Concerts are SCANDAL's main livelihood, and it's not only an output but also an input. By not having that, it's difficult for us to create new things. It may have also made our song production come to standstill. Most of all, it truly was tough for us who love concerts.

―How did you move on from there?

TOMOMI: At any rate, we had no choice but to move forward. First, we did a livestream concert called 〈“Kiss from the darkness” Livestream〉 on August 21st, the band's 14th anniversary. Although there was no live audience, we had monitors right in front of us so that we could see comments in real time from those tuning in. It was like each of the viewers' inner voices, which we wouldn't have been able to hear if this was a normal concert, were being visualized, and we felt extremely close to everyone. That truly saved me. Also, this was a precious experience that reminded us that we really do love playing concerts.

―This year is SCANDAL's 15th anniversary. What's it like to look back on it all?

TOMOMI: I think it's amazing, if I do say so myself (laughs). By saying how we've been at this for 15 years, it feels like a lot of things happened. We belonged to a dance & vocal training school, which is where the band formed and we picked up instruments. Back then I didn't even know that the bass was an instrument and I couldn't even hear the sounds the bass makes (laughs). That's where I started from.

―Wow (laughs). How did you improve from there?

TOMOMI: We focused on doing covers. We covered Sadistic Mika Band, JUDY AND MARY, other J-Pop acts that were popular at the time—we did everything from A to Z. We didn't even think of doing scale practice because we were just doing covers (laughs).
YouTube wasn't as developed as it is now, and we got tabs that were printed in magazines.
But since we started doing street performances about a year after we formed, I feel that that us trained both mentally and technically.

―Who is a bassist that you look up to?

TOMOMI: I was told about the Red Hot Chili Peppers soon after I started my musical activities. I thought the way Flea plays the bass is really cool. Looking back, we used to dance to funk music like songs from when RHCP first started—perhaps that's why I like hip-hop now. I've always liked low tones.

―SCANDAL also does activities overseas. Do you have pride in being a "band from Japan"?

TOMOMI: I want to take pride in us being an all-girl band more than being a band from Japan. Globally too, all-girl bands often aren't around for that long. I want to have confidence in us being around for 15 years. Besides, there are so many all-girl bands in Japan compared to overseas, so in a sense it can be said that all-girl bands are part of Japanese culture.

Fender Japan - THE ONE. FOR ALL. featuring TOMOMI 42fQRrB

―You made your major label debut as a high-school band when you were a teenager. What was your turning point as a professional?

TOMOMI: I had the opportunity to play in a guest backing band for a weekly TV program, and at that time I felt super on edge. It's not possible to get the performance to stop if you make a mistake. When I was placed in that environment, I realized how professional it all was.

―What's something that you currently value as a professional?

TOMOMI: I'm proud that we're the gateway for middle and high schoolers to pick up instruments. It often happens that those who want to play an instrument will choose a SCANDAL song to cover. That really makes me happy. We'll never forget the songs that we covered when we were in high school―they'll forever be some of our favorite songs. I want to continue valuing being that kind of band for someone.

―What memories of Fender basses do you have?

TOMOMI: The first time I came across a Fender bass was when I inherited one from a dance school teacher. Up until then I had been doing our street performances with a "beginner's kit" that I had bought, and when I was asked, "Do you want to try out a proper bass?", that teacher lent it to me. I then used it for all of the performances after that, and when I was about to move to Tokyo and tried returning it with a thanks, they said to me, "Isn't that your bass?" (laughs). Even now I always bring that bass with me to our weekly rehearsals.

―Lastly, do you have a message for beginner players and those who are starting to play bass?

TOMOMI: Nowadays, there are a lot of instructional videos and cover videos that explain how to play the bass on YouTube. I think it's a good idea to use that as a base to take on new challenges. You'll find lots of styles that look cool. Perhaps increasing the number of your favorite songs, favorite music phrases, and favorite bass players is the fastest way to improve.

―Rather than deciding at an early stage what style you'll go with, it might be better to try out several things and increase your choices.

TOMOMI: I really think so. I think that those who are interested in anything until they finally find something that makes them go, "This is it!" are amazing.

Fender Japan - THE ONE. FOR ALL. featuring TOMOMI DjtQdRw

Fender Japan - THE ONE. FOR ALL. featuring TOMOMI 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Fender Interview with Tomomi
Posted Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:55 am

mdreataza

Caless Student
Caless Student
LOVE

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
mdreataza wrote:LOVE

Please don't post comments with only emoticons in them! It's considered spam here.

Fender Japan - THE ONE. FOR ALL. featuring TOMOMI 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down
Andy666

Andy666

International Performer
International Performer
I must say, Tomomi 2nd picture. The way she stand, Tomomi look a woman of confidence.

Back to top Go down
hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
@andy666, yeah, like a mercenary, her weapon slung over her shoulder.

Friendship. Effort. Victory.
Back to top Go down
etwee

etwee

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Not a mercenary, a real freedom fighter! Although I suppose she does get paid for it....

Back to top Go down
apfelkasten4

apfelkasten4

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
thoseguiltyeyes wrote:
―What memories of Fender basses do you have?

TOMOMI: The first time I came across a Fender bass was when I inherited one from a dance school teacher. Up until then I had been doing our street performances with a "beginner's kit" that I had bought, and when I was asked, "Do you want to try out a proper bass?", that teacher lent it to me. I then used it for all of the performances after that, and when I was about to move to Tokyo and tried returning it with a thanks, they said to me, "Isn't that your bass?" (laughs). Even now I always bring that bass with me to our weekly rehearsals.

Nice to hear how she still cherishes her old equipment.

Back to top Go down
Steadystate

Steadystate

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
But since we started doing street performances about a year after we formed, I feel that that us trained both mentally and technically.
It takes a lot of courage for even professionals to play in proper music venues to paying audiences, let alone a group of beginners/intermediates in public spaces to nonchalant passersby. They are very humble about this, but I think their experience playing relentlessly in Osaka park is something they should be very proud of.

Back to top Go down
TOMOmeow

TOMOmeow

International Performer
International Performer
https://instagram.com/thedapperrunner
Love that Jazz Bass including its color. Although, I prefer the usual surf green like JINO's signature Jazz Bass.

Fender Japan - THE ONE. FOR ALL. featuring TOMOMI Tumblr_pe1dui3Jru1qdewlro1_400

Sing it Back, Bring it Back, Sing it Back to Me... Wait, WRONG SONG!

Do you believe in life after love? (after love, after love)... STILL WRONG, D****T!!

Back to top Go down
tonymiller

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
Well I still have my red Fender Jazz bass from the 60's and it is now worth more than I paid for it Happy

Fender Japan - THE ONE. FOR ALL. featuring TOMOMI Sig_sc10
Back to top Go down
HajimemashiteBINOdesu

HajimemashiteBINOdesu

Caless Student
Caless Student
correct me if im wrong, but i could have sworn i saw on instagram that she just got the miami blue P bass.

Back to top Go down
GT

GT

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
hajimemashitabinodesu wrote:correct me if im wrong, but i could have sworn i saw on instagram that she just got the miami blue P bass.

Tomo received the Mystic Surf Green American Professional ll around mid-February, that was shown on her Instagram stories https://www.scandal-heaven.com/t8881p100-tomomi-s-gear . It can be seen here near the bottom of the page.

I don't recall seeing a blue bass on her Instagram recently though.

Back to top Go down
HajimemashiteBINOdesu

HajimemashiteBINOdesu

Caless Student
Caless Student
Yup that was it. My memory switched the colors on me in my head. 

I wonder what her thoughts are on the J bass since she mostly plays P bass. 

My preference for P bass is based purely on anesthetics. I have never been a fan of offset body styles like j bass and jazz masters.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2024 SCANDAL HEAVEN.