thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (8 votes)

TOMOMI's Interview with PERSONAL BUYER
PERSONAL BUYER - Interview with TOMOMI J0MvlJv

TOMOMI of SCANDAL says she's currently in the midst of an increasing vinyl record fever. The place she chose to conduct this interview is a coffee shop called "PRETTY THINGS" on the corner of Komazawa University. She had a chance to listen to vinyl records in this shop packed with famous records from a variety of genres.

——Please tell us your impression of PERSONAL BUYER.

It's great that you can get recommendations from your favorite artists. I think this is the most friendly and easy-to-understand service for listening to vinyl records. I also want to know what songs my favorite artists are listening to, and what music they have roots in. I'm actually in the middle of a really high vinyl record fever (laughs). I thought of how lucky I am that this offer couldn't have come at a better time.

——We're flattered to hear that. What do you think makes vinyl records appealing?

It takes a little extra effort to listen to a record by dropping the needle onto it, so it's nice that you're able to have time to face the music. However, I think that vinyl records are, in a good way, very fashionable. It's an item that can express what kind of music you're listening to, and what style you do it in. They're also interior decorations. I really like interior decorating, and my place is usually decorated with records in a way that I like it (laughs). Living in a place that has vinyl, or living your life listening to vinyl are things that are trendy right now. I think that vinyl can play the role of an item of self-expression because this is an era where you can express your style on SNS.

PERSONAL BUYER - Interview with TOMOMI McnqRAQ

——TOMOMI, how did you start listening to vinyl records?

It's here at this shop too (points to the record shelves), but we released our first vinyl record (『HELLO WORLD』) as a band in 2015. We also had a record player for sale at the same time. That's why I too got a player to listen to it (laughs).

PERSONAL BUYER - Interview with TOMOMI KSc4Br9

——So you started listening to vinyl records at the same time as your fans.

That's true, but I had actually bought a vinyl record before buying a player. Not being able to listen to it made me want one no matter what (laughs). The record is also included among my three favorite ones I brought with me today.

——With that, please introduce those three records.

■#1: 『FLAPPER』 - Minako Yoshida
This is one I recently bought, but I had heard it at a vintage clothing store that I had visited on a previous tour. I was like, "What is this song!?", and I found out it was "Keppeki Niisan" on this album. The lyrics are shocking and the music is funky and cool. I liked it, so I got hooked on it.

■#2: 「Circus Night」 - Tavito Nanao

PERSONAL BUYER - Interview with TOMOMI KGe31IS

My #1 favorite song ever, and the first vinyl record I purchased. Tavito Nanao-san is a favorite artist of mine whose live shows I often go to. When I first saw him on TV, I remember being like, "He's a sound wizard," and that I was emotionally moved. Although I originally had it on CD, when the vinyl record came out I thought, "I definitely want it," and bought it. I let it just lay there for several years before I bought a record player and was able to listen to it (laughs). In addition to listening to it, it also has the appeal of being a record you want to put on display.

■#3「So Far Away」 - Carole King

A long time ago when we were attending a dance school before our major label debut, we also took singing lessons. This was one of the songs we sung during those lessons, and I have a lot of memories attached to it. I also had this on CD beforehand, but I bought it wondering what Carole's singing voice sounds like on analog.

——Those are three records packed with memories. The first one in particular was a little surprising!

I actually like funky, black music music. I also like hip-hop. I like artists with unique outlooks and character, regardless of genre, and it's great when there are some black music elements!

PERSONAL BUYER - Interview with TOMOMI Nfn0v6R

——It's surprising that you like black music and hip-hop. What kind of music do you usually listen to?

I've been listening to kiki vivi lily and Izumi Makura recently. They're both female artists and have a bit of a black music sound to them. Izumi Makura is a rapper too. Also, I don't have an artist in particular, but I'm influenced by rap too. I'm also very familiar with hip-hop lyrics. For example, familiar proper nouns like "Reebok" or "iPhone" are often used, and scenes of poetry easily come to mind. I like what I can imagine in my head, and I also use it as a reference when I write lyrics. Although we haven't set a release for it yet, this shop "Pretty Things" appears in the lyrics of a song we're making right now.

PERSONAL BUYER - Interview with TOMOMI HG4TdES

——What kind of records do you want to choose this time?

I'm the type of person who wants their favorite works on both CD and vinyl. So, this time, I'll go with songs that I love and have on CD but haven't listened to on vinyl yet—basically, records that I want right now. Also, there are some classic songs that you probably have heard once before. I want to share what it's like to hear on vinyl a song that you know, so I want to include major songs that you can enjoy listening to and comparing. Also, I might include songs I have roots in.

——Roots like what, for example?

Red Hot Chili Peppers helped me understand the bass. Until we started the band, I had never been aware of the sound of the bass, and I wasn't interested in it at all. However, that changed when I listened to Flea from RHCP.

CHARA, too. I sometimes had chances where I got to sing, but I didn't like my distinctive voice and always had a complex about it. Ever since taking lessons, I regretted not being able to express songs in genres that I wanted to sing. I asked for the impossible for a long time. That time was when I was really influenced by CHARA. Although her voice is completely different from mine, she also has a distinctive voice and makes the best of it by establishing her own character. I think that's very important as an artist. She was the one who had me accept my own voice and make the most of my characteristics and personality.

PERSONAL BUYER - Interview with TOMOMI MHcDH9m

——Thank you for sharing your story. Lastly, please tell us about your future activities.

Our new song "Fuzzy" is currently out digitially. Also, we're appearing at a few festivals this summer, and in the fall we also have our sponsored joint band tour. So, please check out our official site and social media, and come out to a live show of ours!

*PERSONAL BUYER is a service where "artists, creators, celebrities, and other people you respect buy and deliver records on your behalf." Essentially, these people curate a selection consisting of 1-3 vinyl records that they like and recommend, and which you can purchase.

For TOMO's "course," there are a total of 3 vinyls at 4,000 yen per record. You can choose the "TRIAL COURSE" consisting of 1 vinyl at 4,000 yen; the "STANDARD COURSE" consisting of 2 vinyls at 8,000 yen; and the "PREMIUM COURSE" consisting of 3 vinyls at 12,000 yen. Exactly which records they are are a mystery (they're not the ones TOMO talked about in this interview), it seems like, and you won't know unless you purchase them (however, they don't do overseas shipping, unfortunately).

TOMO additionally explained on IG that you will be sent a random vinyl from a total of 20 records that she selected.

PERSONAL BUYER - Interview with TOMOMI 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Re: PERSONAL BUYER - Interview with TOMOMI
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:26 pm

tonymiller

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
I enjoyed reading that, I remember the guy who taught me to play bass said you only notice the bass guitar if somebody takes it away and that is true.

PERSONAL BUYER - Interview with TOMOMI Sig_sc10
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:27 pm

Tuba

Tuba

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Cool interview, always nice to know what influenced the artists I like

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:49 am

Don Dio

Don Dio

International Performer
International Performer
Watch out, Tomomi, buying vinyl gets addictive.  Trust me on this.  Once you get the right kind of turntable with a good replaceable cartridge, and you keep good care of your records, I bet you will never listen to recorded music the same way again.  You may even spend more time at home.  I suggest picking up some Bootsy Collins and Graham Central Station records to hear where Flea got his groove.

I agree that part of the joy of listening to vinyl is the physical interaction with the music.  There is a zen-like feeling going through the whole process of selecting which record to listen to from your shelf; pulling the disk out of the sleeve and placing it on the turntable; cleaning the surface and the stylus, and then dropping down the tonearm.  Plus the artwork and liner notes are more interesting to view than on a CD.  It's nerdy, but I love it.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:13 pm

tomorocks

tomorocks

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
It's interesting to find out that she had a complex about her distinct singing voice. Honestly, her voice made me interested in Scandal's music when I first heard her high pitch on "Shojo S".

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:14 am

tonymiller

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
@tomorocks

My son said her voice made him want to tear his ears off but I love it Happy

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:48 pm

tomorocks

tomorocks

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
tonymiller wrote:@tomorocks

My son said her voice made him want to tear his ears off but I love it Happy

LOL. I can see why her voice might have that effect on some people, but I think it sounds cute.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:37 am

BlueDude

BlueDude

Caless Student
Caless Student
Her distinct voice takes some time for me to like it, her chipmunky voice was unbelieveable to me when i first hear it,i thought there was some autotune. i was so wrong that time.

I don't want to be here.
You don't want to be there.
Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:17 am

tonymiller

tonymiller

International Performer
International Performer
Well some Japanese idols do put on a kawaii voice but Tomomi always sounds like that Happy

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:56 am

wildthing

wildthing

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I ordered 1 LP, you get a printed Tomomi autograph, a "Personal Buyer" sticker and the LP (I believe its a random LP of the 20 that she selected.)

So one for Tomomi fans.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2Q1LOVDLcl/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum