Re: How did you discover SCANDAL?
Posted on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:03 pm

Don Dio

Don Dio

International Performer
International Performer
I know I've mentioned this before, and most-definitely in my initial introduction many years ago-- it's all because of YouTube.

One of the nice things about YouTube is that people digitize rare records from their collections that are virtually impossible to find on CD, and they definitely aren't on any streaming services.  I had been coming across a lot of old proto-metal/punk bands from the 70's that I never knew about.  Additionally, I finally picked up some CDs of Dragonforce, which I had always heard about in my guitar magazines, but had never heard them.  I fell in love with the band immediately and went out looking for more modern power metal bands, of which there are many throughout Eastern Europe as I discovered thanks to YouTube.

Anyway, I started playing guitar in the early 80's; I'm a big metal fan; and I'm a fan of the band Loudness.  They were the only Japanese band I ever heard and bought CDs from.  I was on a big re-discovery of the music I loved growing up (my wife at the time hated when I played my metal CDs) and I thought about Japan and how they always seem to appreciate hard rock bands from the US and UK either before we do (ex. KISS, Cheap Trick), or after our masses decided the bands are no longer hip (ex. Mr. Big).  I thought, "Surely, there has to be some great metal in Japan," completely oblivious of the whole J-pop idol thing.  One afternoon while at work I went onto YouTube and went looking for the new Loudness.  

I typed in "hard rock band Japan" and one of the videos that came up had an icon of four pretty faces.  It was a shot of Scandal walking down the hallway in "Shoujo S."  My initial thought was "The models are cute, I'll check this one out."  I was blown away by what I saw and heard.  I couldn't believe they were the band, and I couldn't believe how incredibly catchy the song was.  I watched "Shunken Sentimental" after that and then "Harakuze."  I was so hooked I no longer cared about trying to find a pure metal band any longer.  I went down the rabbit hole and watched everything I could find.  It was a glorious discovery.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:18 am

kakotov

kakotov

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
https://www.instagram.com/kakotov/
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

I remembered the opening of "Samurai X", I loved that song, it must be the first song in Japanese that I heard in my life, so I found "Judy and Mary" to whom I began to listen obsessively.
 and well in one of the searches to find her music, she came to the cover album, the version of "Daydream" by "SCANDAL"
I thought it was completely great, so I looked more about "SCANDAL"

When I saw them I fell completely in love, I was amazed that the four were women, with that rude attitude of the first years, this must have happened before having the first album, since I kept listening to their first singles for a long time in my old music mp3player, without knowing of the existence of the first album.

Then I remember well, just before a great earthquake occurred in my country (February 27, 2010, I remember this accurately), I looked again on "SCANDAL"
I discovered that they had released the first album "BestScandal" (I fell in love with Haruna's voice), I found it wonderful, and I became a big fan, at that same time I started working, with my first salaries I bought their albums online, incredibly more than 10 years have passed.

sorry for my English
I hope you can understand me xD

Almond Crush Team  Love
@kakotov
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:55 pm

GhostCow

GhostCow

Caless Student
Caless Student
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

I recently found out that Bleach is coming back to animate the final arc of the manga. This got me going back to listen to all of the openings for a nostalgia trip. I had heard Shoujo S many times back when it was the current intro for Bleach but hearing it during a nostalgia trip made it a lot more powerful to me than it had been back in the day. One thing led to another and now four months later I'm a huge Scandal fan and own the entire discography.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:32 am

YouTube recommended to me Space Ranger back in 2008 when the phone wars started. The rest is history

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:11 pm

streame

streame

Caless Student
Caless Student
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

I just heard about them being a cool girl band. I ccouple of songs and I didn't really like it at first. Then I told my friend about and she was like DUUUDE, COME ON, THEY ARE GREAT!!1 and showed me a video of her performing Shoujo S at some sort of an anime expo. I didn't expect it at all! Since then I have become a more die-hard fan than she has ever been lol

Back to top Go down