Departure BARKS Interview
Posted on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:00 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (11 votes)

I'll be posting translations of SCANDAL's interview about Departure with BARKS in 3 intervals, since it's a rather lengthy interview that'll take a while for me to complete.

Here is the first part.

We want to complete songs with only our own sound:

The release of SCANDAL's new song 「Departure」 - 「Our world of sound is growing with this song」

On 4/23 SCANDAL will release their 18th single 「Departure」. On 3/3 they uploaded this same song in a guerrilla-type style on YouTube for one day only. 3/3 is a profound day that SCANDAL holds fondly: on this day they had their indie debut, and their large dream of playing a one-man live at Osaka-Jo Hall.

MAMI, who wrote the lyrics and composition, says, 「I'm glad that we were able to do a song for this precious season」. The sound that was produced while thinking of spring gives a dramatic arrangement through strings, but that penetrating basis is a sad, medium-tone melody that's in the ensemble of the 4 who are full of the sense of a band. Furthermore, all of the members were deeply involved in recording the music production of the B-side song 「Rainy」 . On the same single are two new songs with lyrics and music completely written by SCANDAL, which is a first for them. 「Departure」 is a single with artwork featuring the 4 members continuing to spread out while being solid and unified. I would like to deliver a long interview with secret stories about this work.

■「We want to complete songs with only our own sound」──HARUNA
■Spring has become a core season for the band──MAMI

──You made your new song 「Departure」 public on YouTube on 3/3.

HARUNA: Because 3/3 is a precious day for us we were completing it until that day, and we were able to send it out to everyone waiting. Since I was focused on my play performance (Gineiden) when 2014 began, the 3 other members were constantly continuing to work on songs while SCANDAL couldn't play lives. Of course, while I was busy with the play, I participated in pre-production and listened to songs. Among those was this song that was created by MAMI. Even though there were other songs, we all agreed to try completing this song.

MAMI: It also appears in the lyrics, but this song's image is one large cherry blossom tree in bloom in a nearby shopping district. I wrote the lyrics while imagining a story from that scenery.

──Did you write the lyrics before the melody?

MAMI: They were written about the same time. The melody came out together with the lyrics. It was winter when I began to work on it. I wasn't particularly trying to write a spring theme at the time, and what came forth was an impulse. But, when I thought about it, 3/3 is the day we had our indie debut and also the day that we played our first live at Osaka-Jo Hall. Spring has become a core season for the band. I'm glad we were able to write a song for this precious season.

──It seems like there was a tremendous reaction from the fans after it was released on YouTube.

MAMI: The 4 of us hadn't really been active when 2014 began. We felt like really pleasing everyone with a 「Long time no see!」 surprise from SCANDAL. It turned out to be a huge thing on Twitter as well (laughs). We heard comments like "It's a waste to have it up for only one day," "I want to listen to it more," "I want to listen to it properly" not only on Twitter, but also on the radio as well. We unexpectedly caused a big reaction on the USEN request charts. Because there were voices who wanted it, we were able to make this into a single. That makes us very happy.

──How was working with sound producer Seiji Kameda-san?

HARUNA: Firstly, we got to talk to Kameda-san about how we want to complete songs with only our own sound. We cherish it even now, and because we always have lives in mind when working on songs, we wondered if putting in sounds other than ours would be somehow different. But on the other hand, we also said, 「If Kameda-san listens to this song and has ideas to make it even better, please keep giving us advice」.

──So, when string sounds are put into a sad melody, a song's image could be pulled in that direction. 「Departure」 has a band sound of the 4 of you pushed to the front.

HARUNA: After we finished recording, Kameda-san said, 「Everyone's so fixated on the band sound. That was a wonderful pressure because I kept reminding you over and over (laughs)」 (laughs).

──Kameda-san is also in a band, and I'm sure he understood your feelings.

RINA: That's right. When we were recording drums, I created the sounds with a drum set I also use for lives. Kameda-san listened to that and gave me advice such as, "It'd be better if the tom, snare, and kick drums were muted a little bit." Although I always use an 14-inch hi-hat, I went up a size and used a 15-inch one for this recording, which gave it a gritty feeling. That was unexpected. I thought that a bit of a submerged feeling was good.

──However, the band-feeling is stronger than the presence of the hi-hat.

RINA: Yes. I wondered if it was too strong when I was hitting it, and wondered if it was okay or not. But, because the strings add to the actual sound, a strong sound like that didn't feel out of place at all. Rather, I thought it was cool. It was a new discovery. As for the melody, there are 4 kicks, and it was important to always keep suppressing it while I was stepping on it. So, in fact, when I tried listening to it, the muted kick sound was always easy to listen to.

──Kameda-san is a bassist. Being a fellow bassist, what kinds of conversations did you have with him?

TOMOMI: Well......Kameda-san tried playing my own bass, and he said, 「The string height is high」 (laughs). It seems like Kameda-san sets his string height low. We had conversations like, 「I have my strings high to match how I play, and I do it like that because I like the graininess」. For recording, my usual bass is slightly distorted. But, for this recording, my Precision bass was equipped with a PJ-type pickup. Because the output is high I thought that the natural sound as it is would be good, and I tried it out. Then, we used it as it is because that was the one that came out most nicely. As for the phrases, I was pretty much free to do whatever I wanted. There was a 「Play it as you like」 feeling.

──In a sense, is choosing and recording each sound one-by-one completely different from how Yasutaka Nakata-san produces?

RINA: Yes, it's the complete opposite. Kameda-san is like, 「What if we take out one sound here?」 and judges at the end. That's why we didn't get lost with having too much freedom.

──Did the guitars have quite a bit of freedom too?

MAMI: When I was creating the song, I had a "make it simple" theme in my head. So, I handed over what I had quietly made at home to Kameda-san and he arranged it......when he returned it, the guitar arrangement hadn't changed at all. He added synth and strings, and it was like he added a single note that was like rain. I was surprised that what I play wasn't subtracted, and I was happy that he respected me.

──Have you improved as a [guitar] player?

MAMI: I have. Because I inwardly expected that parts like the first A-melody, the first B-melody, the first hook, and fillers might suddenly change completely, it was superfluous. I've gotten confident in my way of thinking being okay. It's just that the tone has changed. I thought that the tone of a regular main distortion was good, but when I was considering the whole song, Kameda-san explained that a slight crunch is good. There are many ways to play octaves and sounds with backing and thickness, so I reduced the distortion as to not overlap it. The strings weaving through that interval is very comfortable and neither sound gets in the way of the other. I felt that once more when I listened to the final version.

HARUNA: That's right. I also used a crunch tone with my usual live effector system. It was kind of always like, "How much is this going to distort?" (laughs). Sometimes a sound's features disappear when distorting. But, this time, since I could really hear the rhythm guitar sound......I felt a little embarrassed after all this time (laughs).

──A guitarist that's embarrassed to hear themselves is unusual (laughs). How long have you been recording like this (laughs)?

HARUNA: Hehehe (laughs). This time, the sound of a new me--or rather, with the creation of this song, I feel that SCANDAL's world of sound is growing.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2011.07.03 SCANDAL @ AM2 -Anaheim, CA 2012.03.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN @武道館 2012.11.03+04 SCANDAL HALL TOUR 2012 @愛知 2012.11.10 SCANDAL @ Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.03.03 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 @大阪城ホール 2014.06.01 Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2014 2014.06.02 SCANDAL Fan Meeting 2015.04.25 SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015「HELLO WORLD」 -Paris, FR 2015.04.26「HW」-London, UK 2015.04.30「HW」-Essen, GER 2015.05.15「HW」-Chicago, IL 2015.05.20「HW」-Mexico City, MEX 2015.05.22「HW」-Los Angeles, CA 2015.05.23「HW」-Anaheim, CA 2016.01.12+13 SCANDAL ARENA TOUR『PERFECT WORLD』@武道館2016.05.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 2016.05.22 SCANDAL @ Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2016 2016.05.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 2016.08.21 SCANDAL 10th ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL @泉大津フェニックス 2017.07.14+15+17 SCANDAL's 47 Prefecture Tour
Back to top Go down

Re: Departure BARKS Interview
Posted on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:37 pm

Jikan

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
https://jikan.fr/
Very interesting. And thanks a lot for your hard work translating this!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

「私は完璧を嫌悪する!! 完璧であるば、それ以上は無い。」
「そこに創造の余地は無く、それは知恵も才能も立ち入る隙がないと言う事だ」
If a link I posted is dead, I probably just moved the file to another account or replaced it with a better version. Feel free to PM me.
IRC
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu May 01, 2014 3:17 am

Metal Mickey

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Nice to read about their recording process. They keep getting better as musician.
Btw, string height can be expressed in term of "action".

Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu May 01, 2014 9:23 am

syakmp

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Ah, thanks so much Jade! This seems like a very insightful talk - I love it when they talk about all the technicalities of recording and such. Hearing that pretty much nothing was changed from Mami's guitar arrangement was new too. Personally I really love the arrangement, especially in the second verse where it gets more funkier.

I remember reading the Barks interview for Runners high and the producer was completely different from Seiji Kameda XD I remember how strict the other arranger was lol, guess it just shows how people work differently from each other and their different ideas when it comes to music. I do love Seiji Kameda's arrangements in a variety of songs though - I think he's a really good producer.

Can't wait for the next sections to be posted. Thanks again!

Love SCANDAL!!  LOVE
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu May 01, 2014 11:42 am

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Lots of technical stuff I don't understand but still it's interesting to read. They also did record OVERDRIVE completely differently, basically they can do anything now when they record it seems ^^

Not sure I understand the part where HARU didn't "hear" her guitar at the end and is embarrassed.

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t8777-game-fun-with-scandal
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t10195-game-2048-puzzle-scandal-editions
Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri May 02, 2014 1:14 pm

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://scandalbaby.wordpress.com
Once again, I'm losing it at all this Kameda-shishou talk. XD He is a fantastic producer and I love his sound and input - the strings made a lot more sense after hearing he was involved.
I hope this is the beginning of many more collaborations between SCANDAL and shishou; I feel like his approach is quite compatible and encouraging them to grow in much more organic ways as opposed to CAPSULE's Yasutaka.

Otsukare, Jade~!

Read (pre-debut) SCANDAL blog translations at Scandal Baby on Wordpress or Livejournal

Translations on SCANDAL HEAVEN:
SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
GIRLS BE SCANDALOUS Artist Book: Long Interview | Photo Archives & Interview Archives
BABY ACTION Magazine Edition: Album Interview | SCANDAL Girl's Love Talk & Conversation
Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat May 03, 2014 1:58 am

Mati Saurus

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
@HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

"Sometimes a sound's features disappear when distorting. But, this time, since I could really hear the rhythm guitar sound......"

Turning the distortion on changes the sound. Some stuff disappears (some "mistakes" included, but not only), and some others sounds appears or become louder (such as harmonics). When you're used to play something with the distortion on, and then you turn it off, it may not sound as great as the distorted sound and you think "OMG, I suck" :p I guess that's whats she tried to say.

BUT, guitar it's a complex universe. There are stuff that sounds great with distortion and weak without it (heavy metal licks, power chords, and more) even if they are very well played. On the other hand, playing clean ryhtmic guitars ain't easy, because mistakes will always go up to the front.

Tiin tururin tin tin tin tun tun tun tara tun tun tun tara tun tun tin tun

tiin tururin tin tin tin tun tun tun tan tananan tan taaan nanan
Kill the virgin
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed May 14, 2014 11:14 am

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (4 votes)

Here's the second part, where they talk about "Rainy."

A song that's enjoyable and that the audience can participate in is, in short, a live song:
■I can't get rid of my dialect in the first place, so my width of being able to do things is super narrow (laughs)──TOMOMI
■A song that's enjoyable and that the audience can participate in is, in short, a live song──RINA

──By the way, it was mentioned earlier that HARUNA-san had her first play performance. Were you able to gain an experience that could be fed back into SCANDAL?

HARUNA: Because I was normally accustomed to sending out and conveying songs, conveying things in the absence of sound with just words and facial expressions was, at first, embarrassing. I've always only concentrated on our band SCANDAL and spent every day for years like that since our formation, so that was my first time doing a different lifestyle. Althought it was bewildering, it was so much fun. It felt fresh to get used to something different, and to construct something with different people. I felt something that was like a new progression within my feelings. I was reminded that I like appearing in front of the public.

──Would the 3 of you like to try performing in a play as well?

MAMI: Eh?? Well, I guess (smiles wryly). I don't think I'd be able to communicate very well...... It's something I've never done, so I don't know. However, if I were to try it, I'm sure I'd gain a new sense. I think the stimulus you can get from plays differs from one you can get from music, so I hope I would thoroughly get the received stimulus from it. That's why I'd be interested if I'd be able to gain something.

──MAMI-san is shy when she's not holding a guitar (laughs).

MAMI: Ahaha (laughs). That's because I used to be so shy that, when I had a part-time job a while ago, I was embarrassed to say 「Irasshaimase! (Welcome!)」. That's why I'd be like that if I was in a play and shouting out in a loud voice (laughs). The 3 of us went to see the play that HARU wanted to do and appeared in. I thought about how there was a side like this to her when I saw her playing her role.

RINA: I might do it if I wanted to. It's not that I don't think I'd want to be in a play; it's that I don't think I could do what I want to if it's not for SCANDAL.

TOMOMI: I can't get rid of my dialect in the first place, so my width of being able to do things is super narrow (laughs)

MAMI: You could do it if you were a person from Kakogawa of Hyogo Prefecture (laughs).

HARUNA: That's already a role known as TOMOMI (laughs).

──Hahaha. Going back to talking about the single, did it feel different than usual to produce it with 3 of you?

MAMI: The 4 of us were together when we listened to the completed song and it didn't feel any different. HARU would participate in pre-production and recording during her free time from the play, so what we were able to tightly and densely complete within a limited time frame was, conversely, great.

──The B-side song 「Rainy」 is a very distorted rock tune.

MAMI: It's a very "SCANDAL"-like song (laughs)

──Did you write it as the movie's image song?

RINA: No, we didn't. When we took the time to, we all went into the studio without any ideas in particular. There, we talked about how a song that could get things going at lives would be good. With an idea of making a song ascending from the intro as the basis, we felt that we could arrange it from there. We completed the instrumental for the first chorus at the studio. Because we had a talk about how they were looking for a fast-paced song for the movie's image song, we said, 「How's this song?」 and submitted it, which they were pleased with.

──The composition credits are listed as SCANDAL. In what way did you create it, specifically?

RINA: Firstly, MAMI's guitar is the only instrument from the intro's high note, and from there everyone's sounds overlap. There are plenty of solos. It's a song in which we can do a call and response during the hook, and one that's enjoyable and that the audience can participate in. In short, it's a live song.

──What about the melody?

RINA: At the stage at which we did the arrangement, we talked about who should create the melody. It'd have been okay even if one person did it themselves, but there are things and colors that each of us are good at. Therefore, we decided that it'd be best if all of us participated in putting in our colors. Because of that, we divided the A-melody, B-melody, and hook; each person would create their part themselves. HARUNA did A, TOMOMI did B, and MAMI did the hook. It was our first time creating a song with each part made by a different person, which was an interesting challenge. Since the hook was the first to be completed, we worked in that direction and didn't have a hard time.

MAMI: At the time we were all playing in the studio, the hook was already solidified with an image of a song we could yell out together with everyone at a live. That's why the hook's melody came to mind right away comparatively, and it had a 「There's no other hook this song could have!」 feeling. I'm type to always consider what pattern to make, and which would be good. But, this song had a 「This is it!」 feeling. Up until now we have songs where people yell out 「Oi! Oi!」, spin their towels around, and clap along, but we don't really have songs where the melody is sung along together with us.

HARUNA: That's right. This time we've made a song with a clear 「You can shout out here」, 「You can be in harmony here」 image.

──While imagining a picture of the listeners?

HARUNA: I think it's come to be like that recently. We can now request 「Please do it like this」--or, rather, I think we've been able to make songs that can show 「We'll make lives like this. We want to make them like this」.

──The melody was made by HARUNA-san, TOMOMI-san, and MAMI-san, while the lyrics were made by RINA. This became a collaboration between the 4 of you. Are the lyrics tied to the world in the movie?

RINA: There are some parts that are linked to it because I wrote after watching the movie. The movie begins with a rainy scene, and rain often appears in the story. It's a story about the main girl character discovering a power she didn't know she had, and fighting against her enemies. I think everyone has an experience where they take notice of a part of themselves they hadn't noticed before. It'd be great if this song turns into a strength to be able to go beyond the limits. Flashy fight scenes are also a highlight, so I wonder if that's expressed with strong sounds.

──The manner in which it's played feels like a SCANDAL tune on full throttle, but the guitar solo is quite rough (laughs).

RINA: That unrefined thing~ (laughs). The recording of the guitar solo was ad-libbed, and we were like, "That phrase is so unrefined! Oh man!" (laughs). I'm laughing, but we were fired up with "I'll do this!" feelings.

MAMI: Ahaha (laughs). That's why you were facing the studio booth and laughing when I was playing the solo when we were recording.

RINA: Those 3 phrases really made me laugh. It was too unrefined, and I thought you were like 50 years old (laughs)

HARUNA: It felt like the phrases were ingrained into our minds (laughs). No one actually learned it, though.

RINA: It was so spontaneous (laughs).

MAMI: Hahaha (laughs). Aside from the guitar solo, it's really a fun song to play. Although it's a fast-paced song, it's a song with all downward playing strokes, which we haven't done before. The intro starts with just a guitar phrase, so the song starts off with my part. We wanted it to be a song that the audience would know when that intro is played. Because we don't really have songs like that, the excitement of the audience should travel our way as well when we play it at an actual live.

2011.07.03 SCANDAL @ AM2 -Anaheim, CA 2012.03.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN @武道館 2012.11.03+04 SCANDAL HALL TOUR 2012 @愛知 2012.11.10 SCANDAL @ Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.03.03 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 @大阪城ホール 2014.06.01 Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2014 2014.06.02 SCANDAL Fan Meeting 2015.04.25 SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015「HELLO WORLD」 -Paris, FR 2015.04.26「HW」-London, UK 2015.04.30「HW」-Essen, GER 2015.05.15「HW」-Chicago, IL 2015.05.20「HW」-Mexico City, MEX 2015.05.22「HW」-Los Angeles, CA 2015.05.23「HW」-Anaheim, CA 2016.01.12+13 SCANDAL ARENA TOUR『PERFECT WORLD』@武道館2016.05.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 2016.05.22 SCANDAL @ Honolulu Ekiden & Music 2016 2016.05.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 2016.08.21 SCANDAL 10th ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL @泉大津フェニックス 2017.07.14+15+17 SCANDAL's 47 Prefecture Tour
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed May 14, 2014 11:49 am

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Thanks!

So they better play Rainy in the arenas, wonder how it will be with the crowd  Onion Smile 

It's interesting to read such interviews where they explain the process of a song.

[GAME] FUN with SCANDAL on Memrise : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t8777-game-fun-with-scandal
[GAME] 2048 SCANDAL Editions : http://www.scandal-heaven.com/t10195-game-2048-puzzle-scandal-editions
Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed May 14, 2014 6:31 pm

AndraFahlevi

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://andrafahlevi.wordpress.com
Seiji Kameda nice teamwork  Nice One 
Departure is great single ! tell's about cherry blossom and season in japan.
i cant take it anymore, i want see Rainy Live concert  Smile 
RINA said that "It'd be better if the tom, snare, and kick drums were muted a little bit."
i like it ! Love 

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed May 14, 2014 11:51 pm

Jikan

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
https://jikan.fr/
Thanks again for this second part o/

HARUNA wrote:That's already a role known as TOMOMI
Made my day x)

「私は完璧を嫌悪する!! 完璧であるば、それ以上は無い。」
「そこに創造の余地は無く、それは知恵も才能も立ち入る隙がないと言う事だ」
If a link I posted is dead, I probably just moved the file to another account or replaced it with a better version. Feel free to PM me.
IRC
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu May 15, 2014 8:43 am

syakmp

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Thanks so much for the translations, Jade!

Reading that Rainy's solo was ad-libbed made me laugh like Rina too, haha. It's a good solo though; Imo, Mami's really shined in this single as a guitarist and composer. Again, I really do love it when they talk about the technical stuff of recording and producing. It's really interesting.

Love SCANDAL!!  LOVE
Back to top Go down

Posted on Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:22 am

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)

お待たせ!

Here's the third and final part of the interview.

We took solo pictures of each of us in our private spaces:
■We took solo pictures of each of us in our private spaces──MAMI
■This time we'll be taking everyone with us; it'll feel like we're pulling you along──HARUNA

──The bass in 「Rainy」 has a strong driving rhythm to it, doesn't it?

TOMOMI: This song has so much root that I almost have to play it with a pick (laughs). It's been a while since I've used the Sub-Lime Fuzz effector that has so much force that produces a sound I don't use at lives, so I think that just might be the finest part.

──Can you imitate the noise of that fuzz?

TOMOMI: ......bouuuuu.

RINA: You can't convey that through text (laughs).

TOMOMI: Just put "Bouuuuuu" in big text (laughs).

──Hahaha. What about the drums?

RINA: 「Rainy」 really does have a sound that's like us, and the drums are just like that too. It's hard to explain it in words. If I must say something about it, there aren't really distortion effects, but rather the drums are distorted emotionally.

──Ah, the emotions are on overdrive.

RINA: Yes. Within all of our songs thus far, I hit the drums with a more subdued feeling than usual. I think it's good being able to hit them with a rough, warped feeling. Therefore, even when we have something like the A-melody dropping and the hook climaxing at the theory, it doesn't feel like the A-melody drops.

──It's SCANDAL-like to fill everything up with everything you have.

RINA: There's always been a run-all-out-with-confidence feeling. Especially with our many songs that were like that during our indie days where we a lack of technique, and if we didn't go all out on momentum then there wouldn't be any. But, we perform old and new songs at lives together, and everyone likes those kinds of fast-paced songs too; those songs are cool even today.

──As a player it seems like your calorie consumption would be intense.

RINA: Ahaha. The key is that we have a lot of songs with a high calorie consumption.

MAMI: The fans are happy about that.

RINA: But, the older we get the more ballads we might have (laughs).

TOMOMI: Yeah (laughs).

RINA: Sweating at lives is strange (laughs). Since 「Departure」 is mature-like and a type of song to be listened to, this may be a mature SCANDAL's first step in a good way. I'm sure it wouldn't have been convincing if we would have played this song when we were teenagers, and would have just looked like we were borrowing and performing someone else's song. It matches us right now.

──The design of the jackets has a different atmosphere than anything of yours before.

MAMI: The ones we've had thus far have almost all been us side-by-side, but this time we wanted to have a natural feeling to it. We don't really have many pictures of us looking off into the distance. We were particular about the picture layouts and tints, and we decided the placement. We took solo pictures of each of us in our private spaces. For me there's ones of me riding the train and in a tiny park; both are familiar places to me.

HARUNA: It has a 「daily life of the other members while I'm performing in the play」-like behind-the-scenes theme to it. That's why my pictures were taken close by Aoyama Theater, where the play was held (laughs).

TOMOMI: Mine were shot in Daikanyama and at a florist. The rest were taken at a cafe we usually go to, and RINA's house.

──You made your house public!

RINA: I don't think I'll be doing that again (laughs). From the start I've been against people entering my home. That's why, at first, the photographer took it into consideration and said, 「How about shooting in a studio that feels like home?」. But, since I was really interested in the idea of doing pictures with a slice-of-life theme and a glimpse into private time, I didn't want it to be fake. It was the first time a lot of people had been in my house (laughs), but it'd be worth it if there are people that enjoy [the pictures].

──Well then, a proposal was made by RINA to shoot in her own house.

RINA: Yes. During the shoot the photographer and staff were really careful to not touch anything they shouldn't. Rather, I was embarrassed (laughs). In this day and age it's common to make several patterns of CD singles. We want to make sure to make something worthwhile since we're taking the effort to make them. We think the same way for the cover pictures and the bonuses. On the LEs this time we have footage of our annual Christmas live. We've heard many times that people can't really get tickets to this event, and it suddenly occurred to us, "If that's the case, then let's have them watch it, even if it's just on video!" We didn't think about releasing it as a recording.

MAMI: The sound is so "live" that even we're surprised (laughs).

HARUNA: That's right. The sound is so broken (laughs wryly).

──It seems like you'll be able to enjoy a life-sized sound. Now, the performances at Osaka-Jo Hall and 2 days at Yokohama Arena are drawing ever near. What kind of lives are they looking like they'll turn out to be?

HARUNA: It's our second time at Osaka-Jo Hall. The first time was our dream of playing a live at the venue we had aimed for so long granted by our fans, and it felt like we were standing together with the fans. This time we'll be taking everyone with us; it'll feel like we're pulling you along. Just the other day it took us three hours to put together set lists, and it looks like they'll be great.

──Will the theme at the venues differ for these three performances?

HARUNA: Osaka-Jo Hall has a "360°" theme, so we hope that we can captivate people in all directions with a different SCANDAL than last time.

MAMI: Yokohama Arena has a "FESTIVAL" theme. We're creating another stage that's different from Osaka-Jo Hall's. We know that it's a large venue that can accommodate over 10,000 people, and I'm sure there will be people there who will be seeing SCANDAL for the first time. We're playing two days at Yokohama Arena, so please look forward to them.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:19 am

syakmp

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Thank you so much for translating the last part! Since it'd been a while, I thought that you weren't gonna translate the last part, haha. The whole interview was really fun to read and I laughed pretty hard at that 'bouuuuuu' Tomomi moment in the third part. Oh Tomo.

Love SCANDAL!!  LOVE
Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:28 am

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Laughed hard at the Bouuuu moment too lol, so TIMO  Peace Onion 

About RINA's house, weren't they in their house for a documentary (NHK?)? Nice they didn't do a "fake" in the end to respect the spirit of the project.

Thanks for the translation.

Back to top Go down